• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Lunarorbit

Beat super r type on snes yesterday.

Tried logic bomb which is also on snes online. Top down shooter that's actually good but confusing. There's cut scenes with no explanation thar I'm not sure are mini games. I played 30 minutes and gave up

IMG-4570.jpg
I’m playing the obvious choice for a JRPG fan.

Raiden V: director's cut

Next game I got lined up: Raiden V: director's cut. In the mood for a classic arcade shmup.

Completed and platinum'ed Gungrave G.O.R.E. . Nice surprise that Iggy mob included the additional content in the day one edition (maybe its just me, but Bunji looks a bit like Liam Gallagher from Oasis though). It was really fun. Its kinda structured and plays like a Shmup/STG in a TPS format (credit goes to Mark from Electric underground for coining that description). The platinum was a bit on the easy side imo though. Hoped it would've been a bit more challenging. Recall reading somewhere that Iggy nerfed the difficulty of it due to too many "complaints". That didn't do it any favors from my pov. Great game regardless.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Still wakes the Deep. Very cool. It has a good atmosphere and some good scares. Looks great too. I'll probably beat it here shortly. I love shorter games. So many games these days are bloated.

Impotaku

Playing my way through the new DLC for Natsumon, glad that the boku no natsuyasumi series continues in some form. Never tire of exploring this Japanese rural paradise, the new island has some nice things on it to find. Completed most of the quests as i slowly get to 100% doing everything, 50 hours in & still loving it.
q9n0lRF.jpg

RnzHK5E.jpg

l6FS0nW.jpg

7yNM7vu.jpg

TJ4RV3G.jpg

Crayon

I finally... FINALLY... got to start Rebirth on Friday morning. Between then and now I've managed to pile on 35 hours. Seriously nerping out on it.

The first few hours are unfortunate. They held off exposing you to the open land for a long time. Plenty of open world games start with a 15-30 minute linear intro section before letting you loose. This is a series of sequences that all seem to go on too long and really add up.

This game missed a huge opportunity with that intro. It's pretty rare for a sequel these days to have something really big and new over the previous. They have that and they really should have shown it off as quickly as they could. The entire first game was enough buildup for it, thank you.

Anyway it gets better as soon as you do get let loose. Playing 'the same game' but in this open world format is cool. It totally works.

I've been wondering for years how they are going to do the outside world and all the globe trotting. They did a fantastic job with a structure that solves the issue of adapting the original's dedicated overworld + discreet locations. They handled it well.

The music is letting me down a bit. It's sticking a lot more closely to the original compositions. The midgar-ized techno mixes of the first had my hopes high. That ost is a one million alarm fire.

The graphics are in several ways worse than the previous game. Mostly rough around the edges things. If that is the cost of producing the huge game then I think they made the right choice.

30 fps on PS5 runs well enough with acceptable IQ. I can forgive a bunch of minor issues that are down to having less polish than the previous game. I'm going to stand by my words on it - AAA games need to chill on the elaborate detailing. Get the game out sooner. This game could be another year or two from now if they went in to make the lighting in each spot and every animation transition perfect. Perfect is the enemy of good.

But there is a big graphical issues: the faces lod to some ugly shit too close to the camera, and they are often caught with fucked up lighting. This has been highly distracting. I'm wondering if the PC or PS5 pro versions will be able to help with this.

So at 35 hours, just leaving junon, I am super happy with the game. It feels closer to the source material than Remake before it. The gameplay still kicks ass and I will be playing in hard mode down the line. The open regions outside of towns absolutely do the job of translating the old dedicated world map. Some of the fleshing out they do is not to my liking but some is, so that's a wash. The game is delivering big time on the nostalgic trip of seeing those old pre-rendered backgrounds looking better than you ever imagined back then.

So far, I'm happy! Too bad about first few hours. That had me scared. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

I finally... FINALLY... got to start Rebirth on Friday morning. Between then and now I've managed to pile on 35 hours. Seriously nerping out on it.

The first few hours are unfortunate. They held off exposing you to the open land for a long time. Plenty of open world games start with a 15-30 minute linear intro section before letting you loose. This is a series of sequences that all seem to go on too long and really add up.

This game missed a huge opportunity with that intro. It's pretty rare for a sequel these days to have something really big and new over the previous. They have that and they really should have shown it off as quickly as they could. The entire first game was enough buildup for it, thank you.

Anyway it gets better as soon as you do get let loose. Playing 'the same game' but in this open world format is cool. It totally works.

I've been wondering for years how they are going to do the outside world and all the globe trotting. They did a fantastic job with a structure that solves the issue of adapting the original's dedicated overworld + discreet locations. They handled it well.

The music is letting me down a bit. It's sticking a lot more closely to the original compositions. The midgar-ized techno mixes of the first had my hopes high. That ost is a one million alarm fire.

The graphics are in several ways worse than the previous game. Mostly rough around the edges things. If that is the cost of producing the huge game then I think they made the right choice.

30 fps on PS5 runs well enough with acceptable IQ. I can forgive a bunch of minor issues that are down to having less polish than the previous game. I'm going to stand by my words on it - AAA games need to chill on the elaborate detailing. Get the game out sooner. This game could be another year or two from now if they went in to make the lighting in each spot and every animation transition perfect. Perfect is the enemy of good.

But there is a big graphical issues: the faces lod to some ugly shit too close to the camera, and they are often caught with fucked up lighting. This has been highly distracting. I'm wondering if the PC or PS5 pro versions will be able to help with this.

So at 35 hours, just leaving junon, I am super happy with the game. It feels closer to the source material than Remake before it. The gameplay still kicks ass and I will be playing in hard mode down the line. The open regions outside of towns absolutely do the job of translating the old dedicated world map. Some of the fleshing out they do is not to my liking but some is, so that's a wash. The game is delivering big time on the nostalgic trip of seeing those old pre-rendered backgrounds looking better than you ever imagined back then.

So far, I'm happy! Too bad about first few hours. That had me scared. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

It's really interesting because the game is far better than the sum of its parts. The dev team definitely made the right calls in terms of what to sacrifice and what to prioritize. The lighting issues are worse in a couple areas later on, but I'd take that any day to make it possible to do the rest of the game at the scale they chose. Glad you're having a good time and devouring the game, don't feel bad if you need a short break halfway through to avoid burning out.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Disjunction. Pretty cool little game. Cyberpunk storyline with some light RPG elements, and dialogue choices mixed with a really, really hardcore stealth game. If you don't love studying enemy vision cones meticulously for a 1 second gap, don't even bother. You have to really master it too, often requiring 3-4 rooms ghosted in complex ways between save spots. Definitely exceeding my expectations.

Roberts

Finished Still Wakes the Deep. I've said it before, it has awesome voice acting and it looks great. I really enjoyed my playthrough but I think there is room for improvement. I don't think they nailed the ending even though it makes perfect sense. Just felt kind of too easy and too dependant on familiar tropes. That said, It had a few very tense, creepy scenes even though I don't think it was scary.

Dark Forces remaster - Did 4 or 5 missions. It doesn't really have that timeless quality of Doom but I don't think I ever finished it back then and I'm pretty determined to do it now. So, I must be enjoying it too.

System Shock remake - only played for an hour. I will definitely come back and play it all the way through. I think they did a great job updating the game to modern standards.

Powerwash Sim - I played this a lot when it dropped on Game Pass because it was so freaking addictive and helped me focus on my work projects. I installed it because I felt like playing some of the additional stuff they added and after going through the Tomb Raider bit I decided to uninstall. I fucking love the game, but it is not exactly a very productive way to spend so much time when it is summer outside and not that much to do at work.

The First Descendant - It is ok, but there is no way I'm going to grind in a game that looks and feels like it was made by AI.

Humanity - Getting closer to the end. Amazing puzzles, especially in the later sequences - makes you giddy when you figure it out and it works. My favourite puzzle game since Cocoon.

Punished Miku

Bought Worldless today on sale and I went through probably 70% of it in one sitting. Really interesting art, turn based / action battle system metroidvania. Really challenging too.

Last edited:

SunnySideGuy

Neo Member
I just beat Hellblade 2 & Still wakes the deep through pc gamepass all this week! Absolutely loving shorter games. If anyone has other memorable short experiences please lmk! I've probably played a lot of the bigger ones

Last edited:

Punished Miku

I just beat Hellblade 2 & Still wakes the deep through pc gamepass all this week! Absolutely loving shorter games. If anyone has other memorable short experiences please lmk! I've probably played a lot of the bigger ones
Jusant
Cocoon
Botany Manor
Venba

Off the top of my head.

Punished Miku

I beat Jusant, but totally forgot about Cocoon! Loved Limbo/Inside and I'm pretty sure the Creative lead for those games worked on Cocoon with his new studio? Regardless, I'm downloading that one now! Will add the other two on my wishlist. Thanks!
Get Venba on sale. Its super simple but a nice short story with good music. All the others I really loved.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Shiva is as hard as ever in SMTVV, just surviving his opening attacks, THANK GOD for Kannabi Veil skill!…..literally life saver.

My nerves have been so bad I can't use my steam deck (weight). I'ma try to get it hooked up to a TV where it's cool... just gotta move some stuff.

I did complete a 41x41 crossword puzzle in Crosswords Plus 3DS today. Only took a cool 1h46m! I wish there were more than 3 "giant" puzzles in the whole game. I also like how two clues were ERR and ERRS connected to one another lol. Guesssssing a human didn't create these.

foamdino

Picked up Trails of Cold Steel and I'm enjoying that, also got hold of a 2nd-hand copy of FFXVI which I've just started. So bouncing between those this month. Enjoying Trails story more, but having the variety of turn-based & action combat is good.

Zenless Zone Zero was a nope for me - love the art but it didn't click.

Next month I'm limited to mac compatible while I'm away so it's back to BG3 & Pillars of Eternity 2 (possibly some football manager)

Lunarorbit

Got to level 8 playing bl3 last night. I always pick the character with animals. Started to glaze over the story as soon as the 1st twin began speaking

Last edited:

Jesb

RE8 Village. The game imo gets better after leaving the big woman’s house. But than it kind of gets back down again in the boat section. I generally don’t enjoy games that have enemies that you can’t kill and are being chased by them. So it’s no surprise I didn’t like the beginning very much. I’m getting close to the end of the game I’m in the factory. Overall it’s a solid game, definitely more action focused. Will be interesting to see where RE9 goes.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Beaten Elden Ring's DLC. Pretty cool, used no summons at all except on the Leda fight. Liked it a lot, exploration is great and the many bosses were all very fun to fight against.

Should now go back to SMT V2. Thing is I still have a ton of hours in that game to go and I'm craving something with more action, so I started Ys VI on the Steam Deck. So far it's pretty cool, as expected.

Also might start Lords of the Fallen just to give it a try, since it's on GP. If I like it I'll probably start it once I'm done with Ys VI.

Edit: tried LOTF for a bit. Game seems cool, very nice art direction and graphics and the combat seems to have nice feedback. Thing is I think I hate the lamp and all the mechanics surrounding it lol, seems overcomplicated.

Last edited:

Psychostar

I just had my birthday and I am playing way too many games right now.

I was playing Elden Ring on PC and Another Crab's Treasure on steamdeck previously, but bought myself Stellar Blade (started it) and Lies of P (still sealed) as I grabbed them both for the cost of 1 secondhand :)

A buddy gifted me Hades 2 and I spent a few hours on it yesterday and I am HOOKED.

I have no idea how I will get through this new backlog. Do I just assume I never will and add it to the unmentionable list of growing games I have purchased and will never get to play ( or never want to play, what with all the new shit that's always coming out)?

:'D

Fess

Elden Ring : Shadow of the Erdtree
NhvJOG1.jpeg
Was close to die at the first enemy. Then I walked up to a fire tower giant thing, my mage attacks that could kill a giant in the base game with two spells did almost nothing. This will be fun! 😅

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Turns out Lords of the Fallen ain't that bad after all. Ended up playing for 4 hours straight, first real boss was kinda easy and not nearly as polished as a FROM one or even Lies of P, but it still was fun and didn't feel unfair at all.

Excited to keep playing. Graphics are nice and the art design is great, music is so-so and the enemy variety so far has been meh, but we'll see how this goes.

Fess

Elden Ring
First boss in Shadow of the Erdtree is down!
Took down a bony dragon in a lake too.
My initial feeling is that it’s more of the same, fantastic, but I don’t like how empty at least the first open area is. Needs more enemies and loot, the content density is much lower than the base game.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Finished WoFF:
That ending was weird and was obviously the bad ending after a quick search. Went to do all the intervention quests and even did the DLC once which was not necessary. The Omega god fight was so ridiculously long it made the final boss so quick in comparison. I was around level 60. Got the true ending.

I liked it a lot.

The JRPG streak continues. Ni no Kuni remaster or I am Setsuna first?

Punished Miku

Finished WoFF:
That ending was weird and was obviously the bad ending after a quick search. Went to do all the intervention quests and even did the DLC once which was not necessary. The Omega god fight was so ridiculously long it made the final boss so quick in comparison. I was around level 60. Got the true ending.

I liked it a lot.

I Am Setsuna is one of my favorites. If possible, play it in December while its snowing with a cup of hot chocolate.

Punished Miku

Worldless is a seriously incredible game. Just trying to figure out how this map works felt almost like learning a new language at first. The game tells you almost nothing. And its been remarkably compact and avoiding any time wasting. Feels like I've been on any epic journey in just 6 hours so far. No fights are wasted, only boss fights that really force you to master them or figure out some trick on your own that isnt explained. Very original and unusual game. Almost on par with El-Shaddai in just how minimalist and abstract it can be.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Finished WoFF:

I liked it a lot.

Ni No Kuni Remaster

About 14 hours into tales of arise. My first ever tales game and honestly, it's pretty damn solid. The characters and story are pretty intriguing. Not too far from where Law joins your party and I just feel like he's a complete psychopath as all I hear is Eren Yeagar's voice lol.

Gameplay is really good too. Fairly simplistic but it has a fun gameplay loop. My only problems with the games are difficulties of the enemies. The lower level enemies are just too easy, then the bosses are just wayyyy too tanky. Its not overly hard, don't think I've even had a gameover yet, it's just a weird balance. Also, they could probably tone down the amount of cut scenes/story dialogues but just feel like Japanese games like this are always super heavy on those.

Overall though, I'm def a fan.

Paltheos

Should now go back to SMT V2. Thing is I still have a ton of hours in that game to go and I'm craving something with more action, so I started Ys VI on the Steam Deck. So far it's pretty cool, as expected.

Ys 6 is really cool. The trilogy of games that run on its engine (Napishtim, Felghana, and then Origin) are my favorite Ys games. Ys 6, being the first, is a little rough technically around the engines and my least favorite of the set, but having just replayed it earlier this year (on Nightmare), it still holds up. It's a great adventure that also gives you a surprising amount of latitude in exploring. Boss battles are better than I remember too.

About 14 hours into tales of arise. My first ever tales game and honestly, it's pretty damn solid. The characters and story are pretty intriguing. Not too far from where Law joins your party and I just feel like he's a complete psychopath as all I hear is Eren Yeagar's voice lol.

Gameplay is really good too. Fairly simplistic but it has a fun gameplay loop. My only problems with the games are difficulties of the enemies. The lower level enemies are just too easy, then the bosses are just wayyyy too tanky. Its not overly hard, don't think I've even had a gameover yet, it's just a weird balance. Also, they could probably tone down the amount of cut scenes/story dialogues but just feel like Japanese games like this are always super heavy on those.

Overall though, I'm def a fan.

I'm more in the 'Arise is mid af' camp but I agree on boss tankiness. I remember at least one battle where I thought I might have been intended to lose the fight because of how much health the boss had.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve been playing Bison in SF6. I bought Year 2 season pass after thinking I wouldn’t. Bison is a lot of fun. It makes me wish these DLC characters would come out sooner.

On my second run of the Elden Ring DLC. It’s my most played game so far.

I got to beat Dolphin Blue. The final boss is a coin hog. I don’t see how anyone would have gotten past it without some sorta free play. I got to play it in person a couple years ago at Galloping Ghost. It has a neat aesthetic to it, but I agree with a lot of the impressions online. It’s not something better than Contra or Metal Slug. You also get over it after the first couple levels, especially once you’ve fought on a dolphin a couple times.
IMG-0684.webp

Dazraell

I'm about halfway through original Half-Life campaign. I also started chapter 3 in Yakuza 0. Majima's introduction was something else, what an epic way to introduce this character

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Playing the Bioshock remasters on SD. They run great most of time, only when loading areas it stutters. One and two are my favorites. I just prefer the Rapture setting. I remember being letdown with Infinite. That first reveal trailer was so misleading. Still a good game tho. I forgot about the racist themes, like how.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I just had my birthday and I am playing way too many games right now.

I was playing Elden Ring on PC and Another Crab's Treasure on steamdeck previously, but bought myself Stellar Blade (started it) and Lies of P (still sealed) as I grabbed them both for the cost of 1 secondhand :)

A buddy gifted me Hades 2 and I spent a few hours on it yesterday and I am HOOKED.

I have no idea how I will get through this new backlog. Do I just assume I never will and add it to the unmentionable list of growing games I have purchased and will never get to play ( or never want to play, what with all the new shit that's always coming out)?

:'D
Hades 2 was (unsurprisingly) another addictive experience. Played for 50 hours and finished everything I could at this point before even thinking about starting something else.

Zheph

Dawntrail and Last Epoch at the moment

always good to get back to FFXIV and trying the Sentinel (Void Knight) in LE. About to go on vacation tho and probably won't take the deck or anything else, full break

Punished Miku

I’ve been playing Bison in SF6. I bought Year 2 season pass after thinking I wouldn’t. Bison is a lot of fun. It makes me wish these DLC characters would come out sooner.

On my second run of the Elden Ring DLC. It’s my most played game so far.

I got to beat Dolphin Blue. The final boss is a coin hog. I don’t see how anyone would have gotten past it without some sorta free play. I got to play it in person a couple years ago at Galloping Ghost. It has a neat aesthetic to it, but I agree with a lot of the impressions online. It’s not something better than Contra or Metal Slug. You also get over it after the first couple levels, especially once you’ve fought on a dolphin a couple times.
IMG-0684.webp
Never even heard of Dolphin Blue, which is hard to say for me these days.

Top Bottom