• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best modern 2D indie game?

In your opinion, what is the best modern 2D indie game?

• Sea of Stars

• Dave the Diver

• Vampire Survivors

• Tunic

• Hades

• Ori and the Will of the Wisps

• Untitled Goose Game

• Slay the Spire

• Hollow Knight

• Dead Cells

• Other...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Modern as definied by "Released in the last 5 or so years."

Edit: Ignore the idiot who put Untitled Goose Game in the poll.
gotyindie.png

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Isn’t goose game 3D?

Anyway, probably Hollow Knight, Hades, or Dave the Diver.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
The Office I Give Up GIF

Forcing someone to pick between Hades, Hollow Knight, Slay The Spire, and Ori should be a bannable offense.

Fbh

Hollow Knight for me.
Absolutely loved that game and it's IMO, the best metroidvania yet.

Close second to me is Chained Echoes

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Ori followed by Hollow Knight. Hollow Knight is too big for how shallow the platforming is and there is way way too much time in between power-ups.

I need to get back to this but Arzette has been my favorite 2D game in years. I know other games exist that I'd like, but all too often these games throw in some dumb modern mechanic. If I'm playing a "retro" game, I want it to play like NES/SNES/Genesis, etc.

Don't sleep on Arzette, it's the Zelda CD-I clone that features the same animator and some of the same voice actors. It's so good.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I gave it to Ori. Hollow Knight, despite how awesome it was, was simply too long for its own good. Ridiculous how HK was only $15 bucks.

Regardless, can’t wait for Moon Studios’ next game No Rest For The Wicked.

This Way Pestilence GIF by Xbox

This is an honest to God question. I've always felt that Celeste had the best feeling platforming in terms of control and design outside of a mainline Mario game. Hell, maybe just as good as some of those. Am I tripping? Did I take a hit of that Wonder flower, or was Celeste really just that fucking good?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Alright NeoGAF, you might have the worst taste in games known to man, but Hollow Knight it is. You leave me no choice.

Sojiro

Hades is a God damn treasure, such a fantastic game and one I have dumped a fuck ton of hours into, going with that.

Guilty_AI

This looks cool. Give me a quick sales pitch!
Action jrpg with some Zelda and Secret of Mana roots.

Semi-open world with quests and side-quests, lots of hidden stuff to find, some platforming, excellent combat, nice characters and plot, great music, loads of content (prob somewhere between 60-90 hours minus the expansion they released later)

A combat snippet (advanced level):

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap or Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom.

I think both games is far better than any game in the post 🙂 - masterpieces!

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This looks cool. Give me a quick sales pitch!

Imagine a 2D Zelda game, but turned up to 11 and mixed with modern RPG elements. Puzzle dungeons, unlockable equipment/abilties that aid in combat and traversal.

But also have a story and characters that interact with each other like a traditional JRPG so you have a story you feel part of, including fights you can win and lose which don't get in the way of progress. Some kid smack talking you and challanges you to a 1 on 1? Put him in his place, or loose the story continues anyway but you really want to win that fight in the heat of the moment.

If also got some great follow on DLC

It's also like £15 and is a FULL game.

Last edited:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Annoyed I have to vote to see results. Only played Vampire Survivors a decent amount and just a little of Hollow Knight (which was no Shovel Knight if you ask me). Did pick up Hades last time on sale though, I should probably give it a try.

Top Bottom