• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best modern 2D indie game?

In your opinion, what is the best modern 2D indie game?

• Sea of Stars

• Dave the Diver

• Vampire Survivors

• Tunic

• Hades

• Ori and the Will of the Wisps

• Untitled Goose Game

• Slay the Spire

• Hollow Knight

• Dead Cells

• Other...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pejo

Could you be more specific about the kind of indie you are referring to? Are IPs owned by larger studios off the table?

If not, then it is Streets of Rage 4 for me.
streets of rage GIF

P.S. Most of the listed I would not play even if they payed me to play test.
I hated the visuals for this game until I saw the built in CRT filter. It's not perfect but it helps a LOT to make it look less like a late-developed Flash game.

Anyways, I voted Ori. Only indie game to really "wow" me visually in a number of years.

Death's Gambit was also really good and underrated.

sigmaZ

It's actually harder than I thought to think of one. I often find that indie games focus too much on a e s t h e t i c and lack a certain merihari when it comes to actual game design. Until I can think of something else, I will say Celeste. I thought that was just gonna be another aesthetic game, but the controls and pacing are actually quite professionally done. I think I played the game in one or two sittings.
The only game close to that was Steamworld Dig 2 but I don't think that's indie? That game I played on a whim and couldn't stop til I beat it.

This is a good question but this poll wasn't well considered if you wanted to get a more genuine sense of response.

Dead Cells is six years old, Hollow Knight is seven. But, if games launched on last-gen platforms that feels like a fair time period of consideration. Towerfall: Ascension(hard to choose one but this is my most played) released on Android in 2013 but launched simultaneously on Windows and PS4 in 2014, shortly after the PS4 launch. Skullgirls released in 2012 on PS3/360(and Windows in 2013) before the third release of the game(2nd Encore) hit PS4 a few years later, making it more of a prior generation being moved forward and better left out of contention.

Some games missing include Animal Well, Balatro, Blasphemous, Celeste, Crosscode, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Cuphead, Disco Elysium, Drainus, Hyper Light Drifter, Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom, Nidhogg, Return of the Obra Dinn, The Messenger, Superhot, Undertale, Unsighted, ZeroRanger and so on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom