• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the oldest game you own as a physical version?

Kupfer

I've just looked through my collection and my oldest game is Metroid for the NES from 1988.

4hjoU47.jpeg

Unfortunately it's no longer CiB and the manual is a bit tattered and the cover page is missing, but it's still quite nice.

What about you?

Bonus points for pictures

BlackTron

I can't dig out whatever box it's stashed in right now but a copy of Donkey Kong for Atari. It came with some other stuff at a tag sale many years ago -I've never actually played it.

The second-oldest game must be Zelda 1 from 1986. Yeah Mario came out in 85 but I have the Duck Hunt/Track Meet version released 1988. It came with my first game console.

drganon

Need for speed 2, Marvel Super Heroes and Twisted Metal 1. Used to have a couple of Sega genesis games, but they're long gone.

Robb

Gold Member
Galaxy Invader 1000 from 1980. After that it’s probably Super Mario Bros. on Game & Watch, which is also from 1988 I think, if any of those count.

If you mean game cartridges/discs specifically I think my SNES is still here somewhere, and the earliest game I still have is probably Super Mario World, early 90’s.

It’s all in storage though so no pics unfortunately.

dave_d

I have a bunch of my friends 2600 games and I think some of them are from 1980. Other than that pretty much Super Mario Bros.(Which I have the cart, instructions and box.)

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Still have some old PC games gathering dust. Console/handheld wise I pretty much sold everything pre 7th gen. Wish I kept my GC collection.

BlackTron

I have a bunch of my friends 2600 games and I think so of them are from 1980. Other than that pretty much Super Mario Bros.(Which I have the cart, instructions and box.)

NES is the system I did not manage to keep a single original box for and I hate that. I try to keep at least one iconic symbol and that is the perfect title, jealous lol. The more time passes the more I appreciate Sega packaging.

Skifi28

Tetris on the original gameboy, but I have no idea where it is currently. Probably lost in some random drawer on my parent's.

StereoVsn

I have some NES games in a box stored in the closet.

So Super Mario Brothers, Duck Hunt, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, etc…. Oh, also have Destiny of an Emperor NES game, loved the hell out of it back in the day.

I wish I had big box PC games from late 80s, but i basically pirated those as I didn’t have any money and never rebought them unlike NES games.

Last edited:
I don't keep any old physical media, only books. But interestingly enough I think I saw an old copy of Trackmania United (2006) and original Age of Empires 2 release, both for PC.

dave_d

NES is the system I did not manage to keep a single original box for and I hate that. I try to keep at least one iconic symbol and that is the perfect title, jealous lol. The more time passes the more I appreciate Sega packaging.
Funny you should mention that. I have a bunch of Master System title and my big regret is I cut off the UPC from Phantasy star for a $5 rebate. (I still have everything for that game as well.)

Three

I don't keep any old physical media, only books. But interestingly enough I think I saw an old copy of Trackmania United (2006) and original Age of Empires 2 release, both for PC.
I have those AOEII boxed CDs too and the expansion:
After looking into buying Age of Empires 4 digitally recently I decided to take my 1999 versions of the game out and realised I really miss the huge boxes PC games came in (DS4 there for scale). They had fold out posters, nice charts, thick full colour manuals. Anybody else miss them and have some old unboxings/photos to share?

20200718-145032.jpg

consoul

I own the first videogame cartridge that was ever brought to market: VideoCart 1 for the Fairchild Channel F in 1976.

They're not even that rare.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I was just about to write the same thing.
Considering it was the pack in, it is considered the oldest 2600 game.

I also had one of those game systems which had a four game toggle between tennis, hockey, volleyball, soccer? Not sure of the games but they were a basic variation on pong. No carts. Just plugged into the back of the TV and the paddles were on the device itself. Don't remember the manufacturer but there were various versions. Early-mid 70's

The oldest game system with cartridges I believe was the Fairchild F which came out a year earlier (1976) than the 2600 (1977), but I didn't have that. So Combat it is!!!

BlackTron

I don't have any Game & Watch systems. All I have is a dumb Tiger handheld that I thought was bad and dated the moment my 7-year-old self turned it on. But it's an ancient classic Sonic item so now I must carry this burden for the rest of my life. Edit: Thinking back, this is the exact moment I realized the manipulative power of character licensing and that I had asked for an inferior product not made by Sega because Sonic was plastered on it.

Tf2KmNf.png

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Sold all my old console games, but I do still have a boxed version of AoE 3 that is quite old now. It's the collectors edition with a book and a few other things.

Nok Su Kow

I have a few c64 games that are sealed away with the machine so I'd guess one of them if not it'll be my NES games which I still have from childhood

Toots

Gold Member
Wait till i get home :messenger_sunglasses: :messenger_sunglasses: :messenger_sunglasses:
I bet my oldest game is older than a third of the people in this forum

edit : day 2 of forgetting to take the pic of my oldies. i swear i won't forget this time.

edit : Did not forget this time but couldn't find my Sonic megadrive cartridge :messenger_downcast_sweat: but still Strider is the oldest game i got with a release date of 1990, Sonic being a 1991 game. Is a third of this forum is younger than 34 ? I hope so or else i'll look like a braggart fool.

I added Xenogears (1997) because it's the best RPG ever and Parappa (1997) because you gotta believe !

Anyway
Mijkq0O.jpeg

9q98CvV.jpeg

DPoadNN.jpeg

PS: i couldn't manage to upload the pics in better quality, for reasons that escape me...

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
PC games....

Lost Treasures of Infocom. A compilation of their text adventures
Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain. WW2 combat flight sim.
bAVXma7.png
I got the Zork collection on Steam since the Infocom game collection on iOS never got updated to 64-bit so it won’t run anymore.

Akuji

All my snes games are gone :(
The oldest i think is SotN.
My older brother Took the majority of games.

I got a New super metroid pretty late in the cycle and shouldve been old enough to really Look after it but at Sole time it was gone ane ive never found it again.

Maybe its also in the collection of my brother. Wouldve been my treasure.

Should recollect the old games but hiw the fuck am i supposed to find a CiB Secret of Mana in great condition and afordable.

Fess

Game & Watch Donkey Kong if that counts
Yeah same here, the dual screen from 1982, literally the first game I owned. It still works but the plate showing button labels are loose.

For games on a TV it’s some Commodore 64 game, I have a ton, no idea what’s the oldest but it should be something from the early-mid 80s.

simpatico

Gold Member
Whichever NES game is oldest I guess.
All my snes games are gone :(
The oldest i think is SotN.
My older brother Took the majority of games.

I got a New super metroid pretty late in the cycle and shouldve been old enough to really Look after it but at Sole time it was gone ane ive never found it again.

Maybe its also in the collection of my brother. Wouldve been my treasure.

Should recollect the old games but hiw the fuck am i supposed to find a CiB Secret of Mana in great condition and afordable.
I’ve been rebuilding my childhood 16 bit collection. Well, expanding on it really since we were poor. Either way, it’s been a really fun and rewarding sub hobby.

Anything really expensive (over $60) I just buy a rep.

Last edited:
Top Bottom