• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the oldest game you own as a physical version?

Nobody else mentioned it so I'll say it's my Mom's Intellivision that she got on clearance during the firesale back when Mattel Electronics was cratering. Burgertime, Space Battle, Astrosmash, Space Armada, Nightstalker. Good times. Those were the first console games I ever played.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I believe the oldest game I own is a copy of Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne for PC. It's somewhere at my parents' house.

As for my own collection, I only have console games from the 7th generation and onwards, and the oldest copy I own is Resistance: Fall of Man.

Last edited:

Peter303

s-l1200.webp
Still sealed too, nice. I've still got all the old Ultimate games from Jetpac up to Alien8. Sold all the others a long time ago.

Topher

Gold Member
I got the Zork collection on Steam since the Infocom game collection on iOS never got updated to 64-bit so it won’t run anymore.

Nice. I didn't even realize Zork was on Steam. I really wish they had the other games as well. I really enjoyed Enchanter and I never finished Sorcerer or Spellbreaker. I remember in Enchanter you actually interacted with your character from Zork. Man...great memories.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There are a few NES and SNES games at my parent's, but they are my bro's, not mine.

Mine would probably be Pokemon Blue on the GBC, but I lost the cart, so it has to be Pokemon Crystal. Which isn't really mine, a friend who had previously "borrowed" it from someone else lend it to me and I still haven't given it back after all those years.

Quasicat

I have two physical games since they are not available digitally. Batman Arkham Origins and LEGO Dimensions. Batman is the older of the two since it’s a 360 disc.

Impotaku

Have way more stuff older than this but it's mostly boxed up. Still one of my favourite PC games, i no longer use this to play as i play the Amiga version via emulation instead but i still need to use the code wheel to get the game to start so i kept my big box copy as the manuals in it are great.
2Tt7PUc.jpg

o6MW1au.jpeg
26WCb8p.jpeg
gTQ6yLs.jpeg
8syuKui.jpeg

One of my few remaining treasures from the 80s.

Look at those requirements 286, 5 1/4 disks . Req CGA/EGA 640k, ( i remember i was pissed as i got the first gold box game and my pc at the time didn't have enough ram. 256k cga was not enough for my handme down 8088 at the time. My family got a 386 with cd rom back in 1990 and I could finally play these at 12 years old.

I somehow lost the others in a move, I had pools , silver blades, and pools of darkness, plus both eye of the beholder, Wing commander, ultima underworld, times of lore, ultima 4- 7, Might and magic 3 ,4 and 5. Civilization, sim earth, Sim city 2000. That's just a fraction of pc stuff, not even getting into console land, but I don't have any of that remaining. oldest console game I have physical left is Road rash 3d and final fantasy tactics, somehow I those survived.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For games I have on me now, a copy of HOMM 3 Complete Edition. Came out I think in 2000(?).

For super oldies somewhere in my parents basement, I never bought any of it myself, but I guess technically own some games from gifts as a kid. But some old ass Intellivision games. I dont even remember which are mine or my siblings. I remember leaving some at a friends house and never got them back. But some i think were mine were Dreadnaught Factor, Commando, Mission X.

4H0ocNN.jpeg

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
Sadly my personal collection only goes back to the late 80's now, my family got rid of a LOT of stuff from back in the day, namely the C64 plus hundreds of floppies and boxed copies of games such as Gunship which I miss. My oldest stuff now is Sega Genesis games like Altered Beast and a few pc games in the Might & Magic line. Those big box PC days were glorious, so many pack in goodies. The fun anti-piracy tools and mandatory booklets. I remember my dad and I having to look up chapter ?, paragraph 3, line 4 word 8 lol in that Tom Clancy sub game Red something rising I think. Having to memorize silhouettes of military vehicles in Gunship in order to even play the game, but is kind of vital information.

Nice thread!

o6MW1au.jpeg
26WCb8p.jpeg
gTQ6yLs.jpeg
8syuKui.jpeg

One of my few remaining treasures from the 80s.

Look at those requirements 286, 5 1/4 disks . Req CGA/EGA 640k, ( i remember i was pissed as i got the first gold box game and my pc at the time didn't have enough ram. 256k cga was not enough for my handme down 8088 at the time. My family got a 386 with cd rom back in 1990 and I could finally play these at 12 years old.

I somehow lost the others in a move, I had pools , silver blades, and pools of darkness, plus both eye of the beholder, Wing commander, ultima underworld, times of lore, ultima 4- 7, Might and magic 3 ,4 and 5. Civilization, sim earth, Sim city 2000. That's just a fraction of pc stuff, not even getting into console land, but I don't have any of that remaining. oldest console game I have physical left is Road rash 3d and final fantasy tactics, somehow I those survived.

SSI Gold Box games! I loved em all, even the wacky Buck Rogers ones.

I haven’t owned a physical copy of a game in years, I’ve been all digital for probably a decade.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
The oldest cart-only game I got is probably Macross for Famicom (1985). The oldest CIB is probably Drakkhen for SNES, 1991. The oldest sealed I got is Final Fantasy IV Advance (2005). I have never been that fan of Atari or earlier computers because I never had one, I started with a "Family Game" which was the pirated copy of Famicom/NES and then jumped to SNES and Game Boy (I got a CIB Chessmaster from 1992).

xCkZoq2.jpeg

Holammer

Got some early 80's stuff like Asteroids & MS Pacman for the 2600, a couple dozen C64 games, Game & Watch and other LCD games.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I own the 1979 game Star Raiders for Atari 8-bit but it is a later edition in the smaller black box. I'll take a pic when I'm working from home tomorrow!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never played those gold box games, but my bro played some of them. I know for sure he had Dark Queen of Krynn.

All I remember is some crude graphics and a punishing hard game. I remember my bro being pissed and reloading saved games. I dont think he got far in the games. He moved on to playing M&M games which seemed easier and much better looking.

bumpkin

Probably the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt combo cart from my original NES. I have no idea what happened to my family’s Atari 2600 otherwise it would be Combat.

Paasei

Console It’s one of my many SNES games. No clue which one I had before the other. I could look at release dates, but that doesn’t mean we got them on day 1, so can’t be sure. It’s probably Super Mario World or one of the Disney platformer games like Aladdin and Lion King

For PC my oldest owned boxed game that I also still have is a lot easier to find: RCT 1. Which I actually did buy on its original release date somewhere in ‘99.

BlackTron

nK3WdNK.jpeg

And a few other MS games.

I didn't know this was a Master System game I have it for Genesis. Mind blown. This is the OG game whose water impressed me. The other one for Game Gear, Land of Illusion...I can't believe I beat it as a kid. I think I was even better than platformers then, I tried it again when I got an Anbernic and holy shit. I do remember the immense frustration I felt as a kid, but back then it was just you and 2 carts so you played the same thing over and over with no save.

Exoil

Boulder Dash for the Commadore 64 or Elite for the same machine. But if I remember correctly we got them in the early 90s, around the same time as my parents bought us kids a NES with Metroid, Mario Bros and that ice hockey game with the different body types

PanzerCute

I didn't know this was a Master System game I have it for Genesis. Mind blown. This is the OG game whose water impressed me. The other one for Game Gear, Land of Illusion...I can't believe I beat it as a kid. I think I was even better than platformers then, I tried it again when I got an Anbernic and holy shit. I do remember the immense frustration I felt as a kid, but back then it was just you and 2 carts so you played the same thing over and over with no save.
Yeah at the time Sega provided top ports of their big MD games to MS. The Sonic games are also really cool (and very different) on master system!

Damn we are getting old..

BlackTron

Yeah at the time Sega provided top ports of their big MD games to MS. The Sonic games are also really cool (and very different) on master system!

Damn we are getting old..

Sonic 1 GG/MS was very cool but Sonic 2 was kinda weird and meh. I do have a boxed complete copy of both however. I had a Sonic kite, and would hold it while jumping off a two foot ledge in my yard trying to glide/pose as Sonic with his hang glider, so I can't completely discount this title's influence lmfao. But I think I had more fun pretending I was in the Sonic 2 game playing outside than playing the actual game.

Never played those gold box games, but my bro played some of them. I know for sure he had Dark Queen of Krynn.

All I remember is some crude graphics and a punishing hard game. I remember my bro being pissed and reloading saved games. I dont think he got far in the games. He moved on to playing M&M games which seemed easier and much better looking.

The high level gold box games were absolutely brutal. Encounters could have multiple dragons, enemy mages using insane AoE spells, enemy clerics with their magic, etc. the initiative roll was often the difference between life and death. And those were just the (very frequent!) random encounters.
If you didn’t have an active knowledge of the old AD&D systems the learning curve may kill you.

Hudo

I own a big box release of Alone in the Dark for DOS, which was released before I was born. Even the small booklet that serves as copy protection is still in very good condition.

Last edited:
just a bunch of NES games

taboo still sticks out to me:
Taboo_Coverart-1.jpg

tarot card game.
cartridge is supposed to come covered in a special black velvet cloth (to keep out "psychic vibrations") and the instruction manual says USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

nintendo seal of quality.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Most of my vintage collection was stolen in a move nearly 20 years ago, so my Fairchild Channel F carts are long gone...but I still have a bunch of Atari 2600 carts in a box deep in a closet, so I can't handily provide pics. I have some NES carts on display upstairs, but I'm lazy, haha.
I do still have one sealed 2600 game:
__PRIMARY-IMAGE__@1x

Mines not in this good of condition, but the seal is intact all the way around. Looking at the prices people are asking for this, I might want to consider getting it graded.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I'm not 100 percent sure as to what game but it must be on the C64 because I believe that's the oldest system I own

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
just a bunch of NES games

taboo still sticks out to me:
Taboo_Coverart-1.jpg

tarot card game.
cartridge is supposed to come covered in a special black velvet cloth (to keep out "psychic vibrations") and the instruction manual says USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

nintendo seal of quality.

Oh, saw that one in AVGN lol

Crayon

I ended up with a few Atari 2600 games. It was before my time, and I don't even have an Atari. As far as games I had for a reason, it would be a tie between smb and loz.

Top Bottom