• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite 3rd party game on each of Nintendo's systems

NES: Crystalis - Absolutely stomps the first zelda into the ground. I played this before zelda and honestly had a hard time getting into it due to this (and this was way back before I got a snes)

SNES: Lufia 2 Rise of the Sinistrals - There's so much content packed into this game it's mind boggling. Tons of items, challenging puzzles, awesome music, a huge dungeon that might as well be it's own game.

N64: Bomberman 64 - This was my first bomberman game so I had no idea how differently it swayed from the typical formula. But the game was honesty pretty fun. One of my favorite things about this is the awesome music. Also had a lot of fun with the mutliplayer.

Gamecube: I actually skipped this one and never really got into GC games until much later but if I had to choose I guess it would be Tales of Symphonia. Even all this time later I still think it holds up to the likes of modern Tales games.

Wii: The Last Story - I didnt play too many 3rd party games but this ones probably it. Had some great music and a unique battle system. Unfortunately the story didnt really hold up that well to me but at least I liked the ending.

Gameboy: Final Fantasy Legend 3(Saga 3) - Awesome rpg with the ability to change your chars appearance and abilities by consuming monster meat. I loved experimenting with all these abilities at the time. Also the story wasn't that bad for a gameboy game.

Gameboy Advance: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow - I love metroidvanias.

DS: Castlevania Order of Ecclesia - Same as before but now with the added bonus of a female main character!

3DS: Right now Shantae for being such an awesome platformer with metroidvania elements. But this could change in the future there's still games coming out for this thing. (Bravely Default would of gone here but that second half really drags the whole thing down for me)

Jamix012

NES - Mega Man 2, People have already said why in this thread.

SNES - ClockTower, granted I played a repro (having bought the original game) and it's a Super Famicom game, but it's so good. I love it.

Nintendo 64 - Space Station Silicon Valley is amazing, I love it's wackiness

Gamecube - Too many to list. RE4, Killer7, Skies of Arcadia, Ikaruga, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and Baten Kaitos come to mind but there are plenty of others... I realise that 3 of those were originally DC games lol. Fuck it, I'm going with Viewtiful Joe, final answer.

Wii - No More Heroes 2. Thank god for this game because picking a 2nd favourite 3rd party game on the Wii would've been haaard. EDIT: WAIT, Mega Man 9 is better than NMH 2, great game.

Wii U - ZombiU. Such a good survival horror. Best launch title on the system...Or Shovel Knight.

NES: Mega Man 3
SNES: Mega Man X
N64: lol
GameCube: Viewtiful Joe
Wii: lol
Wii U: lol

GBA: Mega Man Battle Network 3
DS: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
3DS:Shin Megami Tensei IV

Take it you're a Capcom Fan!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
NES/FC : Bionic Commando
SNES/SFC : Rendering Ranger
N64 : Sin and Punishment
Gamecube : RE4
Wii : Boom Blox
GBA : Ninja 5-0
DS : Ketsui
3DS : SMT4

NES - Shatterhand
SNES - Super Castlevania IV
N64 - Resident Evil 2
GameCube - Super Monkey Ball
Wii - Okami
Wii U - Child of Light

VLiberty

GC - does F-Zero GX count?
Wii - Sonic Colours
GBA - Klonoa
NDS - Castlevanias
3DS - Layton vs PW (does it count as third party?)

NES - Bionic Commando

SNES - Final Fantasy VI / Chrono Trigger / Earthbound. I'll break your legs if you ask me to choose a single one

N64 - it had a 3rd party game?

Gamecube - Resident Evil 4

Wii - Monster Hunter Tri

Wii U - Monster Hunter 3U

I'll try listing games that haven't been mentioned yet.

NES: Godzilla: King of The Monsters. Underrated soundtrack.
SNES: Shadowrun. So different than anything out at the time. I love the cyberpunk universe and how I forgot I was playing a game and felt this was something darker, mature and real.
N64: Hybrid Heaven
GCN: Metal Arms: Glitch In The System
Wii: Muramasa
WiiU: The Fall

GB: Gargoyles Quest
GBA: Astroboy
DS: Trauma Center
3DS: Azure Striker Gunvolt
VB: Vertical Force

Platy

NES - Megaman 2
SNES - Turtles in Time
N64 - Turok 2
Cube - REmake
Wii - Go Vacation
WiiU - Rayman Legends

GB - Tony Hawk
GBA - Astroboy
DS - Soul Bubbles (Holy shit so many options xD)
3DS - FF Theatrythm CC

E-phonk

Banned
NES: Faxanadu
SNES: Lost vikings (it would actually be sim city, but since they ported it it doesn't count)
N64: -
GC: RE4 or Tales of Symphonia. (RE4 wins but it's mentioned a lot allready.)
Wii: Zack & Wiki.Also enjoyed the godfather port.
WiiU: Rayman Legends. Steamworld dig was also nice.

Gameboy: Who framed roger rabbit
GBA: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
DS: FF IV
3DS: Monster Hunter

Javier

NES: Really hard to pick one given the huge list, but I'll probably give it to Mega Man 3 for being the best in the classic series. If I were to include honorable mentions, I'd probably never end, but I'll list the rest of the Mega Man games Castlevania series, Double Dragon I and II, and Ducktales.

SNES: Chrono Trigger. No contest. To date one of the best games ever. Close runner ups would be Zombies Ate My Neighbors and the initial Mega Man X trilogy. And who knows how much stuff I'm missing.

N64: Mischief Makers. Not that many choices here, but this one always stood out to me. Fantastic little game.

GCN: I missed on a lot of the better 3rd party stuff for this system like MGS Twin Snakes and Resident Evil, but one game I remember absolutely loving on this system was Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 so I'm giving my vote to that one.

Wii: Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Really enjoyed this one, but then again, I missed on the most acclaimed 3rd party stuff on the system like Okami, A Boy and His Blob and Resident Evil.

Wii U: Probably a tie between Rayman Legends and Shovel Knight.

GB/GBC: I missed on owning these so most of what I've played is due to borrowing from friends and on Virtual Console. Don't think I can place a good pick here.

GBA: Another system were I played very little 3rd party to give an answer, but I'm currently playing Castlevania: Circle of the Moon and loving it.

DS: Tie between The World Ends With You and the Ace Attorney series. DS was a gold mine for 3rd party stuff so I could spend hours listing honorable mentions.

3DS: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call. Fantastic sequel to a great game that expands on everything the original did. I really hope this isn't the last we see of the Theatrhythm series.

Labadal

NES: Castlevania games. I haven't played these in over 15-20 years but I remember loving the games ss a kid.

SNES: Final Fantasy VI is one of my favorite games of all time. I love almost everything about it. Characters, world and music were great.

N64: International Superstar Soccer 64. I can't even say how many hours we spent playing this game.

Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles. Lots of padding and fetch quests but still a very good game.

Gameboy: I think Worms wasn't first patty. Loved the game.

GBA: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. The game's story and tone were a letdown but I spent so much time with the game. It was a great portable game.

NDS: I will probably go with Radiant Historia. I doubt the game had a big budget considering reused assets but I think the game is great. Solid main character, decent battle system, great soundtrack and an interesting story.

3DS: I will have to go with Bravely Defsult. There are flaws sprinkled everywhere but I am weak when it comes to class based games. Even the repetition didn't stop me from enjoying it.

Khrno

I've seen many people name some Nintendo published games (The Last Story, Goldeneye, etc) but those can't be considered third party unless it was a publishing deal in the west (not in Japan) like with the Dragon Quest games for DS.

NES: GOAL by Jaleco
SNES: Final Fantasy VI (III as we knew it) by Squaresoft (The best RPG of all time)
N64: International Superstar Soccer 64 by Konami (The Best football game ever, ISSS 98 comes as a close second, just because the Pibe was in the cover)
GC: Resident Evil by Capcom
Wii: Tales of Graces by Bandai Namco
Wii U: ZombiU by Ubisoft

GB: The Sword of Hope by Kemco (My first RPG)
GBC: Dragon Warrior III by Enix
GBA: Final Fantasy VI Advance by Square Enix
DS: Final Fantasy III by Square Enix
3DS: Bravely Default by Square Enix

Hedgey

NES: Battletoads
SNES: Mega Man X, Chrono Trigger (Don't make me choose)
N64: Conker's Bad Fur Day
GC: Killer 7
Wii: No More Heroes 2
Wii U: Wonderful 101 (Haven't played too many games on Wii U yet, haven't gotten to Bayonetta)

GB: Dragon Warrior Monsters
GBC: Ages/Seasons (Capcom, not first party right?)
GBA: Mega Man Zero
DS: The World Ends With You
3DS: Gunvolt

lt519

Rapid fire:

NES: Contra
SNES: Rock N' Roll Racing (honorable mention: Ken Griffey Jr Baseball)
N64: WCW/NWO Revenge (fist bump OP)
GCN: NHL Hitz
Wii: Guitar Hero 3
Wii U: Rayman Legends

GB: Marble Madness (hah, not really but I'd have to think too hard for this one)
GBA: Final Fantasy Tactics A
DS: Final Fantasy Tactics A2
3DS: Fantasy Life

I mostly buy 1st party titles for my Nintendo systems so there isn't a lot of variety there. Since the 64 I haven't bought too many 3rd party games on Nintendo Systems.

Edit: These aren't the best games I played for each system, but my favorite. A lot of it comes from the couch co-op aspects and fond memories of playing with friends.

Celine

Console

NES: Dragon Quest IV
SNES: Terranigma
N64: Top Gear Rally or Doom 64 (can't decide)
GC: Resident Evil 4
Wii: Silent Hill Shattered Memories
WiiU: Deus Ex Human Revolution DC

Handheld

GB/C: Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure
GBA: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
DS: Ghost Trick (not counting Dragon Quest remakes)
3DS: SMT Soul Hackers

???
Virtual Boy: Space Squash

snes - terranigma. i have a hard time choosing between this and chrono trigger, but maybe it's terranigma's tugging of the heart strings at the end that ultimately wins me over. i don't know.
You choose the right game ;-)

fred

GameCube - Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Wii - Manhunt 2 (Uncut)

Wii U - ZombiU

Manhunt 2 Uncut is absolutely amazing, such a shame that the BBFC and ESRB completely ruined one of the best games last gen by cutting it to pieces.

NES: Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse

SNES: Batman Returns

N64: WipEout 64

GCN: Super Monkey Ball 2

Wii: Ghost Squad or Grand Slam Tennis

DS: Zoo Keeper

sörine

Banned
NES: Legacy of the Wizard
SNES: Secret of Mana
N64: Goemon's Great Adventure
GC: Super Monkey Ball (Monkey Target!)
Wii: La-Mulana
WU: Shovel Knight

GB: Dragon Warrior III
GBA: Astro Boy Omega Factor
DS: Retro Game Challenge

VB: Panic Bomber

Would definitely have different answers if 2nd party stuff was allowed.

SNES: Dragon Quest V
N64: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
GCN: Tales of Symphonia
Wii: Red Steel 2
Wii U: Monster Hunter 3 U

Gameboy: None
GBA: Legacy of Goku, maybe
DS: Dragon Quest IX
3DS: SMTIV

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Rapid fire:

NES: Contra
SNES: Rock N' Roll Racing (honorable mention: Ken Griffey Jr Baseball)
N64: WCW/NWO Revenge (fist bump OP)
GCN: NHL Hitz
Wii: Guitar Hero 3
Wii U: Rayman Legends

GB: Marble Madness (hah, not really but I'd have to think too hard for this one)
GBA: Final Fantasy Tactics A
DS: Final Fantasy Tactics A2

I mostly buy 1st party titles for my Nintendo systems so there isn't a lot of variety there. Since the 64 I haven't bought too many 3rd party games on Nintendo Systems.

Edit: These aren't the best games I played for each system, but my favorite. A lot of it comes from the couch co-op aspects and fond memories of playing with friends.

55675405.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
NES - Dragon Quest 4
SNES - Final Fantasy 5
N64 - was Sin and Punishment published by ESP or Nintendo? If the former, that, if not then Bangai-O
Gamecube - Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Wii - Kororinpa: Marble Mania
Wii-U - Shovel Knight
Virtual Boy - no idea...
GB - Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure
GBC - Dragon Quest 3 remix
GBA - CIMA: The Enemy
DS - The World Ends With You, Radiant Historia
3DS - Soul Hackers

ReyVGM

You're all forgetting about the DSi.

Just like the Game Boy Color was more powerful than the GB and had exclusive games, the DSi is more powerful than the DS and has exclusive games (DSiWare). So it should count as another system.

A similar thing will happen with the *New* 3DS too.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
NES: Double Dragon 2, without question.
SNES: Final Fantasy 3(6)
N64: Beetle Adventure Racing
GC: Baten Kaitos: Origins (isn't this technically second party now since Nintendo published it and bought Monolith Soft?)
Wii: Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Wii U: Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Nintenyearold

Neo Member
NES: Megaman 2
SNES: Crono Trigger
N64: Space Station Silicon Valley
Gamecube: Tony Hawk 3
Wii: Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (I mostly owed 1st party)
Wii U: Sonic Racing Transformed (I think its the only 3rd party game I've played..)

GB/GBC: Dragon Warrior Monsters
GBA: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
NDS: 999
3DS: I don't think I've played any 3rd party games on it yet.

nordique

Systems I've owned:

N64 - Rogue Squadron
GBC - MGS or Shantae
GBA - one of the Castlevanias
GCN - Resident Evil 4
DS - tie between Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and GTA Chinatown (never got to try World ends with you)
Wii - Tie between Okami, HOTD Overkill and Tatsunoku
3DS - Resident Evil Revelations (so far)
Wii U - if it counts as third party, Bayonetta 2. If it doesn't count, then I enjoyed BLOPS2's campaign.

bjork

NES: Guardian Legend
SNES: Pocky & Rocky
N64: either WCW/nWo Revenge or Beetle Adventure Racing
GC: PSO Plus
Wii/Wii U - N/A

GB: DuckTales
GBC: I honestly don't remember what I had for it other than Ghost Babel
GBA: Ninja Five-O
DS: Dig Dug Digging Strike
3DS: I guess the one like Animal Crossing but in Disneyland? I spent like 40 hours on it and can't remember the name.

Gino

Nes Megaman 2
Snes Castlevania 4
N64 San Francisco rush
Gcn resident evil 4/viewtiful joe
Wii monster hunter 3
Wii U monster hunter 3 ultimate

Neff

NES - Batman
Gameboy - Operation C
SNES - Contra III
N64 - Goemon 64