• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite comedy horror movie?

What is your favorite comedy horror movie?

• The Cabin In The Woods

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Hot Fuzz

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Zombieland

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Tucker & Dale Vs Evil

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Shaun Of The Dead

• Evil Dead 1 or 2

• Ready Or Not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • The Return Of The Living Dead

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
Halloween is coming and I'm looking for good movies to watch! I have a personal favorite but don't want to bias the poll so won't say it for now. There's a lot I didn't include but as far as I can think these are probably the biggest ones? Maybe I'm forgetting some obvious stuff so if so let me know. Also name some more obscure ones for people to check out. I'll name a few later.

calistan

If you haven't seen it already, watch Braindead (aka Dead Alive in some regions). It's super funny, slapstick gory, and the best thing Peter Jackson ever made (I'm not a LotR fan).

tEH5nZC.jpeg

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Toss up between Evil Dead 2 & Tucker and Dale Vs Evil for me

I ended up voting for Tucker & Dale -- but it's close.

Doom85

1. Shaun of the Dead

shaun of the dead eating GIF

2. Zombieland

enjoy little moments GIF

3. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

200.gif

Hot Fuzz, which I would rank above all of these, is not horror, it’s a buddy cop action comedy (even if there is a killer dressed up rather ominously).

Mossybrew

I voted for Hot Fuzz because that's my favorite on the list, though I'm not sure I'd call it "horror" - number two would probably be a tie between Cabin in the Woods and Shaun of the Dead.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Tucker & Dale vs Evil just annoyed me, it's too dumb so I gave up on it. While I'd probably notice new things if I watched Hot fuzz 20 more times.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The definition is way too broad.

Are beetlejuice and army of deaths the same genre as from dusk till dawn or darkman that are way darker?

I'm seeing people posting straight up horror movies like drag me to hell...

Last edited:
The definition is way too broad.

Are beetlejuice and army of deaths the same genre as from dusk till dawn or darkman that are way darker?

I'm seeing people posting straight up horror movies like drag me to hell...
Drag me to hell definitely has comedy elements to it. Yes, it's broad, but a fun list regardless.

There's a lot of great stuff to pick from in this genre, but Shaun takes it. It just nails everything from script to setting to soundtrack and so on.

In terms of the list, I'd think that something like Ghostbusters probably fits better than Hot Fuzz though.

Last edited:
Yeah but it is classified as pure horror so where do we draw the line? It is definitely not the same genre as beetlejuice.
Personally for me it's more if humor is added as a tension breaker. Even certain movies can lean more on the horror side vs those leaning more on comedy. An American Werewolf in London leans hard on the horror, the lines like "stick to the road - oops" and "I'm sorry I called you a meatloaf, Jack" push it into a different category than something with constant tension like Halloween or the original Nightmare on Elm Street. And yes, tonally speaking those are much different than a Shaun of the Dead or Young Frankenstein.

But hey, to each their own. You have a valid point, the parameters are broad, but I like that.

And I'll add another to the list.

tenor.gif

Personally for me it's more if humor is added as a tension breaker. Even certain movies can lean more on the horror side vs those leaning more on comedy. An American Werewolf in London leans hard on the horror, the lines like "stick to the road - oops" and "I'm sorry I called you a meatloaf, Jack" push it into a different category than something with constant tension like Halloween or the original Nightmare on Elm Street. And yes, tonally speaking those are much different than a Shaun of the Dead or Young Frankenstein.

But hey, to each their own. You have a valid point, the parameters are broad, but I like that.

And I'll add another to the list.

tenor.gif
I completely forgot about Young Frankenstein. The bit with Inspector Kemp and Dr. Frankenstein playing darts still kills me.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I agree that Hot Fuzz does not qualify as comedy horror, as great a movie as it is. I would definitely put Shaun Of The Dead at the top there. but Zombieland, Cabin In The Wood, Tucker And Dale are all great picks.

there is one that's not that popular but I just love it because of Jack's performance, and that's The Witches Of Eastwick.

the cast alone warrants a watch. and while I don't think it's all that good, it does have some great moments.

Ok I think Hot Fuzz is probably more comedy thriller than horror but I felt like it had to be included. Anyway some others people may not have seen:

The Frighteners
Fido
Housebound
The Dead Don't Die
The Final Girls
Cooties

The 'Burbs
Yes definitely one of the best imo

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ohhhh yeah, this is one of my fav genres.

One of James Gunns early films, a nice dark comedy
VxKfPFS.jpeg

And an ASTOUNDING underrated horror comedy, spawned a bunch of sequels with diminishing returns
sn8ND5R.jpeg

Top Bottom