• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What It's Like To Use North Korea's Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't want to put words into anyone's mouth. You can watch an enlightening talk by Mr. Myers here: http://www.c-span.org/video/?292562-1/book-discussion-cleanest-race B.R. Myers argues essentially that a lot of the propaganda and information that comes out of North Korea is designed for foreign -- not domestic -- consumption, and that the majority of North Koreans are quite content in their lives, possibly even more so than South Koreans who work on average about 60 hours a week, have incredibly high rates of stress and suicide, and who have emigrated from their nation in the millions.

I find that hard to believe when most north Koreans are starving

How hard is it for North Koreans to travel to China? You would think anyone travelling from NK to China for the first time would wake up to what's going on with their country and therefore travel to China would be heavily restricted.

Crossing the border? Bribing the North Korean guards is easy, and there is a forest on the other side I think. You just have to avoid the Chinese guards. You have to cross the river when its frozen in the winter though.

For elites, they are allowed to travel between North Korea and China on business. If they think of defecting then their families in North Korea will be sent to labour camps.

Bad things aside, what a fucking strange country NK is. Continuously on everyone's mind, and at the same time so permanently impermeable. I don't think we could replicate it if we tried.

That would be the propoganda for the outsiders that was mentioned. If outsiders think that people are starving, they'll supply food and money to help, which can then go straight to the government.

But people are starving, according to defector reports. Nowadays its a bit less because there now exists a private market for food, but really all it takes is a drought and starvation will sink in again.

MedHead

But people are starving, according to defector reports. Nowadays its a bit less because there now exists a private market for food, but really all it takes is a drought and starvation will sink in again.
Yes; mostly those who have in some way angered the government. Their government is treated as the seat of a god, so angering the government takes on a deeper meaning for the citizens. It's a form of population control and punishment that ensures those being mistreated feel that the punishment is somewhat appropriate or understandable. It's a terribly efficient system.

My point is that the starvation is a little overblown for our sake, so that we will feel pity and give the government aid; and, it's used as a punishment for those that have "wronged" the government. If we were to bust in and liberate the country, we would be shocked by the severe cases of Stockholm Syndrome.

MedHead

So all the videos of starving NK kids are just propaganda? I was so fooled.
I think I'm failing to make myself clear. I'm not claiming starvation is nonexistent; I'm making a point about the cause. Starving people are usually being punished. I think it's horrible for them, but their starvation is not a sign that North Korea is on the brink of collapse.

I think I'm failing to make myself clear. I'm not claiming starvation is nonexistent; I'm making a point about the cause. Starving people are usually being punished. I think it's horrible for them, but their starvation is not a sign that North Korea is on the brink of collapse.

So you think the people in North Korea that are starving are that way because they are being punished?

MedHead

So you think the people in North Korea that are starving are that way because they are being punished?
Most often, yes. The government is very harsh to citizens that don't follow their very strict rules, and punishments are cast in a wide swath. If, for instance, one doesn't turn in a neighbor for illegal activities, them one's own family could be harshly punished.

Socreges

Banned
That's quite a statement. Can you back that up?

That said, it probably also isn't true that "most" people in North Korea are starving. I think "chronic malnutrition" was somewhere around 40% due to poor agricultural and economic conditions, so I get why people would loosely say most.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, but I thought that even some people over there had accessed NeoGAF...

"They realize if they’re on the Internet, that going and looking at Korean-language websites and free news is a very stupid thing to do because they could get caught very quickly."

Shiieeet. Does this mean whoever checked out this webpage got punished?

How is the rest of the world okay with letting a state like this exist?

I don't think most of the world is "okay" with it, just there's a real lack of will/stomach to deal with it?

Besides the obvious nuclear issue, I'd think the two biggest issues would revolve around the aftermath:

1) The fallout of millions of refugees and who will take care of them, both in quality of life and immense psychological issues. Refugees who've escaped have talked about the years of therapy and adjustment they've needed, and now imagine that to an obscene degree.

2) Geopolitics, namely between the US and China. Neither side will take this straight on (at the likely cost of significant resources and human life) without a stake in the resulting land afterward. God knows the amount of diplomacy required to navigate that shitstorm.

The existence of this state is one of mankind's greatest shames.

Ban Puncher

Wake up

Praise Dear Leader

Die of starvation

w0F2rjI.png

MedHead

I'm sorry, but I don't have any online sources readily available for you to read. I work for an organization that has interactions with North Korean defectors, so what I am relating mostly comes from what I've learned from my time with my employer.

Socreges

Banned
I'm sorry, but I don't have any online sources readily available for you to read. I work for an organization that has interactions with North Korean defectors, so what I am relating mostly comes from what I've learned from my time with my employer.
Shame. Another consequence of the secretive nature of NK: hard to have a debate with so little evidence at the ready.

That said, it probably also isn't true that "most" people in North Korea are starving. I think "chronic malnutrition" was somewhere around 40% due to poor agricultural and economic conditions, so I get why people would loosely say most.

Its not true now, but it was true back in the 90s.

How is the rest of the world okay with letting a state like this exist?

When you've got the likes of Russia and particularly China shielding them, there isn't much you can do. Does the rest of the Western world want to be in the same bed with them? No, but it's better than the alternative.

There's also the nuclear weapons issue. And the Dear Leader is quite possibly insane enough to use them. Certainly easy to imagine that smug egotistical little shit firing them off to take everyone with him.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Imagine the internet as a library. Now imagine NK Internet as that same library, but all the books have been replaced with one book on NK supremacy. That's NK Internet a few days ago. Now imagine that library, but with empty shelves and a BRB-sign at the librarian's desk. That's NK internet today.

Nivash

When you've got the likes of Russia and particularly China shielding them, there isn't much you can do. Does the rest of the Western world want to be in the same bed with them? No, but it's better than the alternative.

There's also the nuclear weapons issue. And the Dear Leader is quite possibly insane enough to use them. Certainly easy to imagine that smug egotistical little shit firing them off to take everyone with him.

I think the reasons are more prosaic. The nuclear issue is probably overblown - we're not aware of NK possessing decent delivery vehicles and the very nature of their nukes is sketchy at best.

The problem is mainly NK's conventional capabilities and Seoul's close proximity to the border. Any war would at the very least devastate Seoul, possibly kill hundreds of thousands of South Koreans and pretty much be guaranteed to plunge the country into an economy crisis that could even spill over onto the global market. And that's not even counting the cost of reunification and the possibility of millions of dead or displaced North Koreans.

Russia couldn't intervene if they wanted to, they don't have that level of power projection in the East. China wouldn't throw away their economic ascendency for NK's sake - keep in mind that the US is still China's largest trading partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom