• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What movies were good in 3D?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
3D movies are still a thing, barely, but it’s nothing like the explosion of 3D content in the early 2010s. Did you see any movies that were particularly good in 3D? (Aside from Avatar, which is only worth watching in 3D.)

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the 3D-ification of the original Lion King. It was the first (and only?) time I’ve seen hand-drawn cartoons in stereoscopic 3D, and it was a lot better than I expected. I even rewatched it in 3D recently, and it’s still great.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Oz the Great and Powerful was visually great in 3D in the theater. Unfortunately it was a very mid movie, as you can imagine, seeing as I haven't seen a single person even mention it online since it was in the theaters eleven years ago. If you have a VR headset that does 3D and can find it cheap (or better yet free) I'd recommend at least watching some of it for the 3D.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Have any of you played games in 3D?

I always thought it was going to be the next big thing when I played Assassins Creed 3 that way

TransTrender

Gold Member

I always thought it was going to be the next big thing when I played Assassins Creed 3 that way
I loved it and it's a bummer it's relegated to only VR these days.
Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Killzone 3, and Super Stardust were fantastic.

Hugo, a shitty Scorsese movie, has the best 3D. It's fully used as a storytelling tool, not just for natural depth or eye candy.

You could play anything in 3D on PC. Black Ops, Fallout 3, StarCraft 2, Metro 2033 were fantastic. Nvidia dropped driver support when the 3000 series launched but with minimal tinkering you can still enable it: https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2017/05/3d-fix-manager.html?m=1

None. I have never watched a 3D movie and thought "wow, this really enhanced my viewing experience and was totally worth the extra money and hassle to wear 3D glasses."

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Hugo, a shitty Scorsese movie, has the best 3D. It's fully used as a storytelling tool, not just for natural depth or eye candy.

Season 4 Episode 13 GIF by The Office

Hugo is Top 3 Scorsese for me 👀

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Hell yeah. I had a couple 3D PC monitors back in the day, and I used to play everything I could in 3D. It even gave me an advantage in some games, like Rocket League, since it helped with spatial positioning. I miss the tech.

and I won’t lie, I started this thread because I have these AR glasses and I’ve been watching movies with them lately, and I want to watch some 3D movies lol

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I remember feeling it was pretty cool in the first Avatar movie. the didn't over did it and instead made it kinda subtle. and Gravity, the Sandra Bullock space movie, was great in this too.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I thought 3D avatar was an excellent showcase of the technology. A bad movie though.

It isn’t what I am into though so I try to avoid 3D

jason10mm

Gold Member
A lot of the recent (i.e. past 20 years or so) 3D films were made that way in post, with no real intent to film for it (the Pirahna films were a glorious exception :p. It made a lot of scenes look terrible like they were models or something. Avatar looked great but had little that exploited the medium (though I heard the 3D aspect boosted immersion and contributed to the 'avatar withdrawal'). Hobbit in 3d with that high frame rate looked atrocious.

80's 3D was more schlocky, lots of "reach out at you" thrills. The theme park 3D attractions like Terminator 3-D, Captain Eo, and Star Tours (was Hannah Barbera in 3D, I forget), were awesome as well.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I saw Parasite back in 1982.
A lot of obvious gimmicky stuff but I remember a cool effect where the creature sticks on the ceiling then let's itself drop in our faces.
Also Demi Moore was in it 😄

Ophiuchus

Banned
I was also pleasantly surprised by The Lion King in 3D. It was wild seeing hand-drawn animation pop out like that. Another movie that blew me away was Gravity. The 3D really enhanced the whole space experience. I still remember watching it and feeling like I was floating in space!

Trilobit

Non-ironically I must say Jurassic Park. They showed the original movie in 3D in my movie theater and it was gorgeous. It benefited from having the camera works style of the 90's which is less hysterical than later on. That made it easier to focus on the scenes and enjoy the depth. It's still my best 3D experience even if Avatar: WotW was stellar too.

StueyDuck

I mean... both avatar movies. Love em or hate em, they are the few movies actually designed with 3d in mind instead of just being slapped on in post

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

How to train your Dragon is Fantastic in 3D

Also Gravity, it add a lot of depth and the movie is already a roller coaster and it only adds to it.

The Adventures of Tintin
was also Weta digital firing on all cylinders and they made multiple specific shot for 3D just like the Avatar movies

Last edited:

Ophiuchus

Banned
I was also pleasantly surprised by The Lion King in 3D. It was wild seeing hand-drawn animation pop out like that. Another movie that blew me away was Gravity. The 3D really enhanced the whole space experience. I still remember watching it and feeling like I was floating in space!

Top Bottom