• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What platform do you primarily game on and has it changed in the last few years?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I go way back to the nes days but lets go more recent.

My first online console was the Origianl Xbox and was a very early xbox live member. I then moved on to the xbox 360 and loved that for about 6 years (4 xbox 360 rrod and 1 e74 error later) and also had a PS3 (yylod 2 years later) Then when Microsoft had that horrific e3 revealing the xbox 1 I said fuck Microsoft and never went back. Played the ps4 for about 6 years then moved on the PS5. The PS5 has had some Gems but got to admit that Sony has been very anti-consumer recently. The drastic rise of the PS plus cost while adding nothing additional in value is a real kick in the balls. I mean seriously $134.99 for PS Plus essential when Sony does not add brand new titles to the service or Add many high qualityh games just is another kick in the balls from my point of view. I sound Jaded but damn I can't be the only one feeling that way. I also got to say the releases have been kinda dry. Outside of Robocop and the FF 7 remake there hasn't been much that has interest me on the platform recently. I hope some new game announcements soon will change that.

Then I bought the Switch about 3 years ago.. I got to admit I laughed when it was shown and scoffed at it. I thought it was pathetically underpowered and how I would just use my phone to play those type of games instead. Boy was I wrong. I have a back catalog of about 20 games deep to play through on the switch and the hits just keep coming. I dont' care that the resolution is less or the framerate is less, I am having a blast playing the switch. There is something just magical tuning on a console and not having a huge update or massive patches every other time I boot the unti up. I turn on the Switch and it just works. The eshop has great deals but better yet the Physical market is stills strong. I always buy physcial when I can so the Switch is my new treasure trove for collecting. (32 high quality physical titles to date) Nintendo seems to have mastered and old art that both Sony and Microsoft forgot, Simplicity! I could go on and on like some school girl but I have been playing the Switch much more than any other conosle the past few years. Despite it's age the great games just keep coming. I just pickedup Mario Wonder and it Wipes it's ass with any other platformer on any system not made by Nintendo. I seem to have more Fun on the Nintendo Platform lately.

Banjo64

cumsessed

My first online console was the Origianl Xbox and was a very early xbox live member. I then moved on to the xbox 360 and loved that for about 6 years (4 xbox 360 rrod and 1 e74 error later) and also had a PS3 (yylod 2 years later) Then when Microsoft had that horrific e3 revealing the xbox 1 I said fuck Microsoft and never went back. Played the ps4 for about 6 years then moved on the PS5. The PS5 has had some Gems but got to admit that Sony has been very anti-consumer recently. The drastic rise of the PS plus cost while adding nothing additional in value is a real kick in the balls. I mean seriously $134.99 for PS Plus essential when Sony does not add brand new titles to the service or Add many high qualityh games just is another kick in the balls from my point of view. I sound Jaded but damn I can't be the only one feeling that way. I also got to say the releases have been kinda dry. Outside of Robocop and the FF 7 remake there hasn't been much that has interest me on the platform recently. I hope some new game announcements soon will change that.

Then I bought the Switch about 3 years ago.. I got to admit I laughed when it was shown and scoffed at it. I thought it was pathetically underpowered and how I would just use my phone to play those type of games instead. Boy was I wrong. I have a back catalog of about 20 games deep to play through on the switch and the hits just keep coming. I dont' care that the resolution is less or the framerate is less, I am having a blast playing the switch. There is something just magical tuning on a console and not having a huge update or massive patches every other time I boot the unti up. I turn on the Switch and it just works. The eshop has great deals but better yet the Physical market is stills strong. I always buy physcial when I can so the Switch is my new treasure trove for collecting. (32 high quality physical titles to date) Nintendo seems to have mastered and old art that both Sony and Microsoft forgot, Simplicity! I could go on and on like some school girl but I have been playing the Switch much more than any other conosle the past few years. Despite it's age the great games just keep coming. I just pickedup Mario Wonder and it Wipes it's ass with any other platformer on any system not made by Nintendo. I seem to have more Fun on the Nintendo Platform lately.
The Switch is the Lord’s chosen.

Something like Echoes of Wisdom will be an absolute banger for the ages, and it’s just something they’re announcing to be released within 3 months.

To answer your question OP, similar journey. Essentially I’ve jettisoned PS and Xbox now. They’ve both become unworthy of investment. Outrageous online fees and a direction I don’t agree with in terms of development decisions.

nial

The PS5 is the Lord’s chosen.

Something like Astro Bot will be an absolute banger for the ages, and it’s just something they’re announcing to be released within 3 months.

To answer your question OP, similar journey. Essentially I’ve jettisoned Nintendo and Xbox now. They’ve both become unworthy of investment. Outrageous online fees and a direction I don’t agree with in terms of development decisions.

anthony2690

Growing up I was all sega and then playstation & Nintendo for a bit, then I moved onto the Xbox platform and haven't really looked back.

I genuinely enjoy the platform a lot, despite all the mostly silly negativity online.

IMG-20240622-234539153.jpg

Is the platform perfect? Hell no, it isn't getting Tomba & they closed down Tango Gameworks & I do worry about physical releases in the future. :( (the last concern is pretty much for all platforms but Nintendo though tbh)

Last edited:

Wonko_C

For most of my life I could only afford one console per generation, starting with the Atari 2600:

-Two NESes because I already had one but I won a game competition where the first prize was a NES.

-A Sega Genesis bundled with Arcade hit Altered Beast.

-A SNES (only time during my childhood that I had two systems of the same generation)

-Nintendo 64 which was a big disappointment after seeing how PlayStation got all the cool Capcom fighting games.

-Dreamcast which was purchased with money from selling the N64. The best decision I've ever made.

By then I was able to afford every console each gen for a period of time:

-PS2/Xbox/GC: I even got a PSP, Game Boy Advance and a Nintendo DS during that time.

-Xbox 360/PS3/Wii and a gaming PC.

Then hard times struck and only got a PS4 and a PS Vita that generation, later I got a PSVR and it changed where I ended up now:

I currently only own a Meta Quest 2 and a new gaming PC, which I mostly use for VR gaming. I have no interest in the consoles now, I want to get a PS5 because of PSVR2, I want to play the few exclusives it has, but I am patient and will wait until they are dirt cheap. It will likely have more neat exclusives by then, and the PC support is a nice bonus too, due to wired VR being better for some games.

I have been only on PlayStation since PS1 days, but PS5 (though an amazing console by itself) was the one that made me jump to PC and I have enjoyed a lot! Hope that Sony gets back on track during PS6 but for now I am good with PC only

I went from PS/Switch to PC exclusive around 2021, in that time, I built a PC (3080, 5800X3d), got a steam deck too... but now I'm back on PS/Switch just in the past few months. Ive hooked up my PS4 Pro (installed SSD) again, PS3 (added SSD), PS TV + VITA + PSP, Switch along with PS5. For Switch, I've gotten a Switch Lite to go along with my OG Switch... I'm loving it, console gaming is superior IMO. Steam Deck is great, I really like my OLED Deck, that screen is awesome, but to me I didn't really get much gaming done on it. The PC basically sits unused... I came to the conclusion that I hate Microsoft with a passion... such shit software and horrible platforms to deal with.

feynoob

Banned
PC>PSP>PC>OG Xbox>PC>PS4>PC>Xbox one S>Switch>PC>PS5>Now PC.

So I primally play PC. But there was a period when I was only playing on those systems, since I didn't have my own PC, or wanted to explore the platform.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Mine has changed in the last few years. I’ve gone from playing modern games to playing retro games on a CRT using the MiSTer.

Best decision I’ve ever made. There are so many incredible older games I’ve missed out on.

Topher

Gold Member
Always been a PC gamer first and that will never change. Really didn't start gaming on consoles until PS3 and Xbox 360. Now if I game on console then it is on PlayStation first and then the occassional Game Pass game on Xbox. Never been much of a Nintendo fan. I tried Switch for a bit, but for the most part the games I liked there I can play on PC.

RickMasters

Growing up I was all sega and then playstation & Nintendo for a bit, then I moved onto the Xbox platform and haven't really looked back.

I genuinely enjoy the platform a lot, despite all the mostly silly negativity online.

IMG-20240622-234539153.jpg

Is the platform perfect? Hell no, it isn't getting Tomba & they closed down Tango Gameworks & I do worry about physical releases in the future. :( (the last concern is pretty much for all platforms but Nintendo though tbh)

I find myself in the same boat. I was a sega fan before the bowed out of the game, but I owned The PS1, N64. Then I jumped to the DC… then I jumped to the OG Xbox and PS2 and GameCube. That was the very lastvgen that I would own all three. The early years of the X360 and the fact that I was in my 20s by then It just didn’t make sense to have all theee console anymore. I’d never have the time to really get the most out of owning all three. At that point everybody had Xbox 360s and COD 4 was ruling the roost. I built my circle of ‘gamer’ friends on Xbox ( three of them introduced me to this forum as it goes on this forum as it goes … secret society 😂😂😂🤫🤫🤫)

I’ve never looked back. I’m aware of all of Xbox missteps and trust me, me and my clique have ranted about it over many a session of halo and just driving around in forza horizon talking shit.

Xbox is just our ‘gamer home’ so that always made it easy to ride out MS bad descisions while owning their platform. My digital library went from maybe 10 games to 962 since then. So I’ll never ditch my Xbox. It would be like throwing away my entire games library…… and I honestly have the best gamer friends. They will even buy games they hate but I love just so we can play. And vice versa. Gamepass helps in that aspect a lot too.

Vandole

Unless I'm screwing around on one of my handheld emulators, I'm probably playing my PS4. I've had just about every system Nintendo and Sony ever put out, but I genuinely didn't like the Switch. I actually put far more time into my Wii U.

At this point in my life, I really only have time and interest for one console. And at this point, I'm still Don't have a compelling reason to get a PS5. I'm sure I will one day, and at that point I'll probably end up as a Sony gamer from here on out. Unless of course Nintendo brings back the Miiverse. And in that case I'll go straight to their new system.

Last edited:
I've bounced around a lot over the past few gens. Last gen I was mostly PS4 until the Switch. Now I split time between Switch, PS5 and Series X. Next gen I'm probably just getting Switch 2 unless it's something stupid, like all-digital and no bc.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Wanted a NES so bad in kindergarten, but my folks thought it would distract me from school so I never got one. Finally got a Genesis in 2nd grade because I thought it looked aesthetically cooler than the SNES. Then wanted a Saturn super bad because of the cool edgy marketing, got a 32x in the mean time for super cheap at an Electronics Boutique (R.I.P.) at my local mall. Then one day my cousin's friend brought over his PlayStation with Resident Evil, it was over, it blew me the fuck away and begged my little brother to ask for a PlayStation for his birthday. It was PlayStation from them on, but I've been gaming on PC for about 6 years now, too. I'm on my second gaming rig, which is still going pretty strong (5900x 3070).

360, PS3, Wii, PS4, Switch, PS5, XSX and PC throughout. I prefer OC these days as I’ve got more libraries and GP on there, plus it’s nice to get away from it all in my study!

i'm still mostly on playstation (i've currently got a ps3 & a ps5 set up). what's changed is that I've really lost interest in playstation's 'big guns' (tlou, gow, horizon, spidey, tsushima). mostly playing third-party or oldie first party...

RickMasters

360, PS3, Wii, PS4, Switch, PS5, XSX and PC throughout. I prefer OC these days as I’ve got more libraries and GP on there, plus it’s nice to get away from it all in my study!
Kinda sounds like me in my studios. Sometimes I get brain freeze and just boot up some Darius or one of my other classic arcade shmups or counter strike on steam or just hit up gamepass.

clarky

Gold Member
99% PC now, I travel a alot through work so being able to take my games with me is an absolute god send.

But I've pretty much owned and still got almost every platform under the sun, yes including a Jaguar, Lynx and 3DO.

Shakka43

Primarily play on PC + Steam Deck these days. PS5 owner from day one but it has been my least played Sony console since PSOne.

tmlDan

PC and PS5, my switch is a dust collector and has been for like 2 or 3 years. So yea, its changed, the switch is dead to me currently.

MikeM

Gold Member
PC and PS5. Split them 50/50 since both are tied to my LG OLED TV in my living room.

Taking a break from PC and doing Elden Ring and GT7 on PS5. I work on a laptop all day and seeing Windows/reminders of work on my free time is starting to get to me mentally.

DryvBy

PS5 and no. I've been on PlayStation mostly for the past decade.

In the 80s it was the NES, 90s it was PC and stayed that way until maybe 2010. During my mostly PC time, I was on Xbox and Gamecube then the 360 until my 360 died within the first year for the 4th time. I switched to PS3 and didn't have any issues. I drifted from PC due to pricing and games just not looking drastically different like when I was gaming in the 90s and early 21st century.

Humdinger

Just did a poll on this:

That was about current/recent use, though. You asked more about the history.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

I’ve owned every gen of Nintendo and Xbox, which the latter being my primary platform.
However a month ago I got a decent gaming PC so that’s currently in the lead with my time being spent there.
Could be a honeymoon period, who knows.

Crayon

The switch mostly sits there. Had since launch and over the years I've hardly used. Essential, nonetheless.

Since the PS5 came out, I really haven't played much on my pc. The ps5 was a little bit more powerful than my PC till I updated my GPU like three weeks ago. It's slick to use, though.

The PC adapter for psvr2 will get me onto my PC though.

Alan Wake

I've primarily been an Xbox gamer since the first Xbox launched but since 2013 I'm also playing on PlayStation. Now with Xbox as a platform becoming more and more obsolete (and Microsoft's lack of interest in physical media), I am moving over to PlayStation step by step.

xrnzaaas

It's still PlayStation, but I use it less now and I've stopped paying for PS+. I have a huge backlog so I'm not thinking about abandoning it, assuming Sony won't introduce some heavy anti-consumer features with the PS6.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I’ve owned every gen of Nintendo and Xbox, which the latter being my primary platform
Almost the same here (I didn't have an NES or original Gameboy/GBC). I've also had a couple of PlayStations, including the current PS5.

My time on Xbox is at least 10x either of the other platforms. I often carry my Switch with me and plan to play it on the train to or from work, but rarely bother getting it out of my bag, I tend to have more enthusiasm for the idea of playing Switch games than I do in practice. I actually just started playing Metroid Prime remastered after buying it as soon as it came out. The PS5 has been my least played console ever, I bought it for the exclusives, played 3 of them and by the time I got to the third, felt pretty burnt out on it. Tempted to go pick something else up for it, but with a backlog on both Xbox and Switch, I wonder how sensible that might be.

Last edited:

Fess

I’ve moved fully to PC now.

Used to alternate between Xbox and Playstation. The journey is kinda hilarious since I used to be quite negative toward PC and once got a ban for harshly requesting PC gamers to exit a thread I made about Xbox and Playstation. You live and you learn I guess.

The PC move started in 2013 with a 780ti and i7 custom shop build. I started playing the most graphically demanding games there.

Many upgrades later I finally built a desktop PC with a 4090 and 7900x in 2022.
At that point I almost completely stopped using Xbox and Playstation, my yearly 2023 stats showed 64 hours total for both consoles combined, and that’s including kids using them for Skylanders and LEGO games.

Final PC transition happened this year when I built a PC specifically for the living room, 4080 Super and 7800X3D. I tried the Stellar Blade demo but other than that I haven’t played anything on Xbox or Playstation this year. Kids still use PS5 for Skylanders. And I use it for Bluray movies. Xbox Series X is not used at all. It’ll be ”fun” to see the yearly stats for 2024 🫣

I still use the Switch sometimes, currently going through Metroid Dread for the 4th time. Playing for the kids, they love it, luckily I do too so no problem there!

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Mostly PC. With the rise of the PC handhelds, having a Steam Deck and/ or a windows handheld as a companion piece to a good desktop is perfect for me.
Also having the latest Nintendo hardware on the side for their exclusive stuff.

nemiroff

Gold Member
PC

But the path to PC was like

Arcades/Vic20/Atari 2600/Amiga 500
PC

(Plus 80% of all consoles ever released to date (except obscure ones), played in between)

Last edited:

anthony2690

I find myself in the same boat. I was a sega fan before the bowed out of the game, but I owned The PS1, N64. Then I jumped to the DC… then I jumped to the OG Xbox and PS2 and GameCube. That was the very lastvgen that I would own all three. The early years of the X360 and the fact that I was in my 20s by then It just didn’t make sense to have all theee console anymore. I’d never have the time to really get the most out of owning all three. At that point everybody had Xbox 360s and COD 4 was ruling the roost. I built my circle of ‘gamer’ friends on Xbox ( three of them introduced me to this forum as it goes on this forum as it goes … secret society 😂😂😂🤫🤫🤫)

I’ve never looked back. I’m aware of all of Xbox missteps and trust me, me and my clique have ranted about it over many a session of halo and just driving around in forza horizon talking shit.

Xbox is just our ‘gamer home’ so that always made it easy to ride out MS bad descisions while owning their platform. My digital library went from maybe 10 games to 962 since then. So I’ll never ditch my Xbox. It would be like throwing away my entire games library…… and I honestly have the best gamer friends. They will even buy games they hate but I love just so we can play. And vice versa. Gamepass helps in that aspect a lot too.
Yeah I had a psone and n64, prior to the Dreamcast, but sega just always held a special place in my heart and the Xbox was essentially like the Dreamcast 2 when it came out, I think that is why Xbox really resonated with me originally. 🥰

I had a PS2 and Gamecube etc too, loved them!

I think my interest waned with playstation with the PS3, I just didn't like it at all, I loved the ps vita though.

I had a PS4, ps5, Wii U and switch as well, as I always want to see if I'm missing out or try things that might interest me, but they end up gathering dust and I shift them as someone else could be enjoying them more, nothing bad to say about the above 4 consoles, I just think my main issue when it comes to playstation, all these legacy titles I loved growing up other than ape escape, were all titles by capcom, konami, Sqaure, namco etc etc and they now bring all their titles to other platforms as well, where as back then they were probably psone or ps2 exclusive..

& Like you also mention, at this point I've built up a library on the Xbox ecosystem, physical and digital, I think I'm 1100+ owned digital titles & a few hundred physical 🥲

Edit:

Platforms owned:
Sega master system
Sega megadrive
Atari Jaguar
Sega Saturn
Psone
N64
Dreamcast
PS2
GameCube
Xbox
Xbox 360
PS3
Xbox one
PS4
Wii U
Switch
Xbox series x (downsized to only this)
Ps5

Handhelds:
Gameboy
Game gear
GBA
Psp
Ps vita

Last edited:

Fess

Next gen I'm probably just getting Switch 2 unless it's something stupid, like all-digital and no bc.
I’m all-digital already. Switch 2 + PC is going to be the ultimate combo. 👍

Could see myself keep one foot in the Xbox ecosystem if they release a Xbox-Steam hybrid, especially as an OS or app you can boot into on a regular PC. Would give me a more convenient way to deal with Steam and Gamepass in the living room.

Emedan

Got pretty much the same journey. I was mostly PC for the past 20 years (Nintendo before that), though I had an OG Xbox, PS4 and Xbox Series X - the two latter consoles I had like 2 games each for - after having gotten the Switch in 2020 I almost exclusively play that. The amount of just fantastic games is something else, and I also buy mostly physical having gotten som 20 titles and lacking at least another 20 bangers, I haven't played this much since I was like 17 years old and boy do I look forward to Switch 2.

Impotaku

I dont exclusively play only one system i'll still alternate when i'm in the mood i still play my ps1 and other retro handheld generations as well as ps4 for more recent stuff but for my main day to day playing in general it's usually my switch now as it fits my needs so well. When i'm at home i play on the tv but going out to work each day it goes in my pocket so i can continue gaming during my breaks it's the perfect setup add in the standby mode i can stop at any point & then continue regardless of saving or not. As arcade, rhythm & bullet hell shmups are my main genres it's another reason i stay on switch as it's the only one that has them in any amount. Add in all the indies and nintendos own first party content and it's given me zero reason to waste money on next gen consoles. My main used to be the DS and that was the system that i had the most software for (around 400) but switch has kept the volume of games going continuosly that i have already passed 500 and still finding loads i still want to play.

Fabieter

A few years ago it was primarily ps because they had all the japanese games and Sony exclusive but now that there is everything on pc I play more and more on pc again

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Genesis
PS1
PS2/Dreamcast/Xbox
PS3
PS4

If I could go back in time it would have been:

Genesis/SNES
PS1/N64
Dreamcast/Xbox
Wii/360
PS4

I have a ps5 but I barely game on it. Most of what I play is also on ps4. Little reason to not just play on PC if you have the means. That was true even back during PS4 but hard to beat that convenient $400 launch price tag.

Killjoy-NL

Started on Atari 2600, then went to PC 286 and 386, then Sega Megadrive + Mega-CD, traded it for the SNES and starting from Playstation 1, it was nothing but Playstation.

There is pretty much nothing the other platforms offer that makes it worthwhile (for me) to buy those:
- PC only has Warhammer: Total War
- Nintendo has.... Mario I suppose. Could be fun with my gf and kids every now and then for about an hour.
- Xbox only has Hellblade 2. Literally nothing in their library throughout their history seemed like something I'd really enjoy.

Will be buying a Switch 2 for my gf though and Xbox games will be coming to Playstation, so...

Last edited:
Top Bottom