• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What platform do you primarily game on and has it changed in the last few years?

draliko

From ps2 onward i was always multi, up until this gen, both xsx and ps5 are gathering dust while i play mainly on pc, the switch became my sons main platform, and i think i'll go pc + steamdeck in the future, with a nintendo portable for the kids. Only a true revolution could bring me back to consoles, but i don't see them differentiating enough from pcs to bring one. (before "modern" gaming started on c64, a 286 pc, then master system, game gear, megadrive)

Kamina

Golden Boy
Back in the day there was only nintendo where i lived, only one boy i knew had a sega console.
So up until the gamecube came out, i was only ever playing on nintendo.
2004 i bought a PS2 however, which marked the tuning point for me. Since then i always had multiple consoles to enjoy.
With PS4 however Playstation became my main platform, which it remains to this day.

Lunarorbit

Growing up it was briefly atari 2600. Pitfall, pac man, and crystal castle.

Got a Nintendo from our neighbor as a gift in 2nd grade. Was a huge Nintendo fan and the n64 was the 1st console I bought with my own money.

After the snes I was super disappointed with the lineup. Once PSM (ps magazine) had final fantasy 7 on the cover Nintendo was dead(ish).

Still bought Nintendo handhelds but I was now a Playstation boy. Went to college and was too busy to get a ps2. No one console gamed in college in the early 2000s.

Really liked the wii and the switch was the last console I waited in line for. But still a Playstation guy

NahaNago

I probably game mostly on my pc but that is mostly because I play aoe3 and civ5 on there quite a bit but only ever those 2 games. Majority of everything else is on playstation but I need to play more on my Switch since I kept buying games for the system but not actually playing the games.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Been on PlayStation for three straight generations, played gears on an Alienware 15R3 Laptop right before the pandemic and that was good.

Growing up I was all sega and then playstation & Nintendo for a bit, then I moved onto the Xbox platform and haven't really looked back.

I genuinely enjoy the platform a lot, despite all the mostly silly negativity online.

IMG-20240622-234539153.jpg

Is the platform perfect? Hell no, it isn't getting Tomba & they closed down Tango Gameworks & I do worry about physical releases in the future. :( (the last concern is pretty much for all platforms but Nintendo though tbh)

Props! That's quite a collection.

I was a Sega kid, then I moved to PS1 and on to Xbox after that. I'm really thinking I will stick with PC from here on out as far as gaming hardware goes, but it all depends on what new console hardware might bring forward in the future, etc.

Goalus

Xbox - 99%
Switch - 0.9%
ROG Ally - 0.1%

Depending on the future of Xbox, I could see myself getting a real gaming PC eventually. Been wanting to get a taste of NVIDIA ray tracing technology for quite some time now - not in a hurry though, will definitely get the next Xbox and assess the situation again a few years after that.

Aion002

Gold Member
Playstation since the beginning and pc on strategy games.

On the ps3 I also bought a 360 and a wii, but other than some exclusives I ended up not playing much on both... I also learned that Nintendo games are not for me and I will probably never buy another Nintendo console.

I skipped the xbox one, but on current gen I bought a series s before the ps5, because of game pass and availability. Currently I play on both and I am happy with both consoles.

Unless MS goes full third party, I will definitely keep buying Xbox consoles alongside Playstation consoles.

rm082e

Been wanting to get a taste of NVIDIA ray tracing technology for quite some time now

RT is really underwhelming in modern AAA games. The difference between RT and baked lighting is so minor almost no one could distinguish between the two in a blind challnge. And where it's dramatic enough to really show a significant difference, it drops the frame rate by 75%.

The RT cores being used for DLSS, DLAA and Frame Generation is cool, but that's a conciliation prize for the added hardware cost. I think if NVIDIA offered GTX versions of their cards without the RT cores at 80% of the price, most people would buy the GTX cards. RT just doesn't provide enough value for players.

rm082e

89% - PC
10% - PlayStation (exclusives only)
1% - Steam Deck

I used to buy all the consoles but limited time made me more picky. I typically always went with the most powerful hardware as my main. Looking at the PC at the end of the 360/PS3 era, the difference in performance was enormous. Double the resolution and double the frame rate in many cases (30" monitor).

anthony2690

Props! That's quite a collection.

I was a Sega kid, then I moved to PS1 and on to Xbox after that. I'm really thinking I will stick with PC from here on out as far as gaming hardware goes, but it all depends on what new console hardware might bring forward in the future, etc.
Thank you :)

I can definitely understand why people are giving up consoles for pc tbh.

You get Xbox games day one on the platform and you'll get playstation games , some day one, some 6 months to a year later.

Not just that I think because all the big streamers seem to be on pc, kids seems to want pcs instead of consoles now.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I come from a home computer household, never got a console as a kid, so I started with Atari 8-bit and we got a PC pretty early (mid 80s). I did play a lot of Japanese console style games on my MSX2 and then moved to mainly CRPG and point-and-click adventures on PC.

I bough a PlayStation when I got my first job because I wanted to play Metal Gear Solid (as I loved the MSX2 original). This got me into console style RPGs again and I got every console since.

Today my gaming is spread between PC, PS5 and Switch.

Cyborg

PlayStation since 1997 and it won't change. I have everything on PlayStation and I don't have time for multiple consoles

Jesb

I only game on GFN. It’s been more than enough to be honest. Was primarily a PlayStation guy. This is first gen I haven’t bought one but I’d like to get a PS5 pro.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Was mainly Xbox while always having a decent(high) level PC.
During the Xbox One era I slowly started drifting towards being mostly PC.
Now I can barely call myself a console gamer at all........
PC all day every day, bad ports be damned!

Growing up I was all sega and then playstation & Nintendo for a bit, then I moved onto the Xbox platform and haven't really looked back.

I genuinely enjoy the platform a lot, despite all the mostly silly negativity online.

IMG-20240622-234539153.jpg

Is the platform perfect? Hell no, it isn't getting Tomba & they closed down Tango Gameworks & I do worry about physical releases in the future. :( (the last concern is pretty much for all platforms but Nintendo though tbh)

We prostrate ourselves
EM8W7drU8AA9ZMK.jpg:large

TrebleShot

Recently I did a bit of a switch to PC after years of Sony and Playstations but ill be honest, im not sure its worth it.

I have been feeling the pull of the PS5 again, its an amazing system and runs pretty much everything with acceptable visuals and 60fps.

Dont get me wrong I love my PC and would usually prefer to play on either steam deck or the monster I built but it doesnt feel as fun or immediate as a console and I include the steam deck in that.

I always find myself distracted on PC, like ill start browsing or watching youtube whereas on PS5 I tend to just play the game and maybe have a pod on in the background on my phone.

Steam Deck is the ultimate in between so lately ive been playing AAA on there with lower fidelity and its perfectly good and fun.

Once you disconnect the constant chase for fidelity and tech you free your mind and you realise gaming is one hobby and technology is another, with overlaps but its why the switch is so amazing and popular and its basically a toaster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom