• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What popular game/system is "before your time" that you hate?

SCB3

Atari 2600, I was born in 87

Like I get why it was innovative, it just hasn’t aged well apart from a handful of replayable arcade games that are often better played elsewhere

Probably the Atari 2600, it was still around in the Master System NES days C64 days. My friend had one and I tried many games that were just junk. The basketball game really stands out, just blocky stick men sliding around the screen.

I liked games like Pong or Space Invaders, the arcade version were common everywhere, it's all the other crap on the system having no playability.

kevboard

I like the NGP but the characters are ugly. Your second picture is actually developers struggling around the limitation, by the way.

limitations are a great source for creativity.

GBC, NGPC and similar styles of pixel art are great. I like how deliberate each pixel feels in a well made game with great artists

Crayon

Atari and contemporaries were truly before my time. While I have no nostalgia for that, I am interested in history. But most those games are unplayable unless you are at a party. Frogs and Flies is a good time with a few drinks.

Home computers at the time - a little better.

Had I been older back then, I think I would have liked video games in the arcade. But I bet my main thing would have been tabletop. Either RPG or wargaming.

Then again you could ride a dirtbike with no helmet and a tall can around town so maybe I'd be doing less gaming in general. Probably would have been shooting beer bottles off a fence and having bonfire ragers every other night. Who needs and escape from that?

cireza

limitations are a great source for creativity.

GBC, NGPC and similar styles of pixel art are great. I like how deliberate each pixel feels in a well made game with great artists
I agree, but I still find the 4 palettes limitations too strong. Working around constraints is a must to bring out creativity, but here, it is simply annoying to no end. Creating backgrounds with 8x8 tiles that can only contain 4 colors, but trying to make it look like you don't have the constraint, is simply super annoying. Having to stack sprites to compensate for the lack of colors also sucks.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I love it all, baby. Even the 2600.

BlackTron

I hate a windows pc (but not MacBook!) and all those classic pc genres: strategy, isometric RPG, MMO, click and point quests etc.

My first strategy game: Game Boy
My first isometric RPG: Super Nintendo
My first "MMO": Sega Dreamcast
My first point and click quest: some DOS game I forgot about

Even worse some of those titles are my favorites (Super Mario RPG, Phantasy Star Online)

This is about something before your time that you hate, not something you suck at hating now and just want to suck equally at hating always.

Commodore tape drives. Motherfucker. *Not before my time though.

djblazer-commodore-64-tape-dr-1-dae5172e-fcea-768x576.jpg

Last edited:

hououinkyouma00

Gold Member
I would say anything NES and prior - the PC Engine (bomb ass shooters).

My first console was a PS1 when I was like 5. I played on that and PC at the time so most of my taste are formed by that (except that as I get older I'm attracted to less and less of the hardcore PC games like sims and the like). SNES while I never owned one I've gone back and played stuff like Zelda, Mario, and JRPGs like FF and Chrono Trigger (Chrono trigger is even one of my favorite games) so it's not as bad but I just can't get into really anything before that.

KINGMOKU

I grew up with the Magnavox odyssey 1, and 2. What the hell was before that? Hoop rolling? People have no idea what playing a videogame was like, having to put a physical overlay on your TV screen.

Top Bottom