• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell is happening to society?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machina

Banned
http://nypost.com/2017/04/06/no-one-helps-woman-with-head-trapped-between-subway-doors/

Her commute was a real headache.

A woman got her noggin stuck between the doors of a 4 train in The Bronx — and fellow straphangers strolled right by without stopping to help her, a video shows.

The rider found herself in the head-scratching situation at around 12:45 p.m. on Tuesday at the Woodlawn station after she attempted to rush out of the car but failed to make it in time, transit sources said.

The woman — who the MTA said was not injured — can be seen in cellphone footage with her head and her black-and-white tote bag stuck between the two doors.

The one-minute clip, which has gone viral, was recorded by another straphanger who had been sitting in a subway car across the outdoor platform at the station, which is at the end of the 4 line.

An MTA worker can be seen strolling past the trapped woman in the clip, but the agency said the employee had already spoken to the woman and told her that workers would have the doors open soon.

Watching those people just walk by, not even attempting to pry open the doors or check if she was in any pain. What the fuck man.

Maybe if she asked for a piture there would have been a kind souls willing to help.

The world is filled with selfish assholes, news at 11,

The value of individual life will continue to plummet as corporations, money, and jobs take priority over human rights.

wondermega

You never saw the video of the person in New York (i think?) being hit by a car, driver never stops, other people continually drive past the body in the street? Sadly this stuff is not super unusual.

jesus christ.

Reminds me when I visited New York and I opened the door for a lady and her daughter, and she passes by turns around and asks where I'm from, I say Texas and she rolled her eyes and says "of course, that's why". I'm sure there's decent people there but the scumbags give a bad name.

i thought modern New Yorkers were more helpful?

jesus christ.

Reminds me when I visited New York and I opened the door for a lady and her daughter, and she passes by turns around and asks where I'm from, I say Texas and she rolled her eyes and says "of course, that's why". I'm sure there's decent people there but the scumbags give a bad name.

that's fucked up. can't even be nice to people anymore?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
jesus christ.

So she was offended because you held the door?

Is her head stuck and she cant make a sound?

She's just embarrassed, man. She's waiting for the doors to open. There isn't anything anyone can do for her, just have to wait for the train operator to open the doors.

People could have made a huge fuss but probably figured there is nothing they can do so might as well make it less awkward for the lady who was in such a hurry that she got her head stuck in the doors.

You better believe if that train started moving that people would have been raising all kinds of hell and pulling the emergency brake.

I feel like this isnt a new low for people at all, its more that taking video footage is that much easier. I remember seeing footage in China with a dying child on the road just getting run over and everyones just continuing to walk by like nothing happened.

UrokeJoe

She's just embarrassed, man. She's waiting for the doors to open. There isn't anything anyone can do for her, just have to wait for the train operator to open the doors.

People could have made a huge fuss but probably figured there is nothing they can do so might as well make it less awkward for the lady who was in such a hurry that she got her head stuck in the doors.

You better believe if that train started moving that people would have been raising all kinds of hell and pulling the emergency brake.

Thanks for the clarification..

UrokeJoe

I feel like this isnt a new low for people at all, its more that taking video footage is that much easier. I remember seeing footage in China with a dying child on the road just getting run over and everyones just continuing to walk by like nothing happened.

A lot of that going around.

Socreges

Banned
I spent a week riding the subway in New York and found people alright. In my limited experience. We were in Manhattan beginning a journey to JFK and a couple people noticed we were struggling to find our way and helped us out.

kramer-gyro-o.gif

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This is insane.

"An MTA worker can be seen strolling past the trapped woman in the clip, but the agency said the employee had already spoken to the woman and told her that workers would have the doors open soon."?

What's the problem here?

Also, we live in the most peaceful period of time in all of recorded history. What's happening is society has progressively been getting better and better across the globe year after year.

10 years ago I was doing factory work at a tech company in San Francisco. One night I picked up the key to the bathroom, and I was on my way to the other building when I noticed one of my co-workers sitting in the dark on a metal folding chair, cupping his face in his hands and sobbing. He was in his 60's, and he had been selling real estate with his wife in Georgia, but now he was divorced and back in California and doing grueling, repetitive work for minimum wage, surrounded by people like me who were a third his age.

I walked right by him.

I had my headphones on and my eyes glued to the sidewalk, so I almost didn't even notice him. But I did look over at the last second and catch his eye, and I panicked and I looked back at the sidewalk and I kept walking until I got to the bathroom and I locked myself in a stall and waited until I thought it was safe to go back to work.

Forearms

This. Also, what happens if someone makes things worse/hurts her in the process and gets served with a lawsuit for trying to help. Better to leave well enough alone if the person isn't in immediate, life threatening danger.

10 years ago I was doing factory work at a tech company in San Francisco. One night I picked up the key to the bathroom, and I was on my way to the other building when I noticed one of my co-workers sitting in the dark on a metal folding chair, cupping his face in his hands and sobbing. He was in his 60's, and he had been selling real estate with his wife in Georgia, but now he was divorced and back in California and doing grueling, repetitive work for minimum wage, surrounded by people like me who were a third his age.

I walked right by him.

I had my headphones on and my eyes glued to the sidewalk, so I almost didn't even notice him. But I did look over at the last second and catch his eye, and I panicked and I looked back at the sidewalk and I kept walking until I got to the bathroom and I locked myself in a stall and waited until I thought it was safe to go back to work.

are you bragging about your apathy, or..?

Violet_0

Banned
the last sentence says they already sent for someone to deal with the problem

remember that photo from Italy with the tourists sunbathing next to the drowned Roma girls? They didn't know what happened or what was under the towel. We tend to jump to conclusions

This. Also, what happens if someone makes things worse/hurts her in the process and gets served with a lawsuit for trying to help. Better to leave well enough alone if the person isn't in immediate, life threatening danger.

theres a difference between physically trying to help someone and asking if theyre ok, but it does seem like someone did that at least

I walked right by him.

This feels like a confession you'd see in a Persona game conversation

jesus christ.

Truly we're in the end times

Somnid

I would just assume she was shooting a staged Youtube video or something unless she asked for help or seemed panicked.

Don't these doors open if something gets stuck in them? I've never seen an automatic door that just clamps down on things that get stuck in it.

I was choking on some hot noodle soup in Chongqing, China (炸酱酸辣粉, if you want to know). I was on a busy street (food street in Jiefangbei). I couldn't breathe, and really thought I was dying. Put my hands around my throat and was making a tiny wheezing sound. People looked, but didn't help. Finally I managed to squeak in a little air and a cough, which unblocked my throat. A girl that was sitting there went and got me a drink, and asked if she could help. That was it, though. Scariest moment of my life, and I guess I understand the OP. I don't think it's any kind of downfall of society - no one was recording my suffering, anyway!

Sakura

People were already alerted about it. What are bystanders going to do? Break the door open when it's not like she was in peril? I don't think it is that weird that people didn't try to pry it open.
On the other hand it is a real dick move to film her.

When I went to NYC me and 3 of my friends were walking passed and saw a disabled woman in a wheelchair stuck on a coach bus. The ramp had broken and the one helper had no way getting her down without literally dragging her off. She was asking people to help and everyone just went "Nah" or "Sorry I'm busy". We walked over and picked the wheelchair up with her in it and placed it down on the pavement. Who the fuck refuses to help a disabled woman? America has a really gross "Fuck you, got mine" mentality. There is some of it in other countries too but far and away in America.

Pluto

How is tt possible to get stuck in the door? Train doors should open automatically if they hit something and can't close completely. And even if it's possible to get stuck, why didn't a passenger open the door? The manual release is there for a reason, pull it and open the door, there's no need to wait for workers, that's stupid.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Meanwhile, in Australia, when a man falls in the platform gap.

image.jpg

milkham

How is tt possible to get stuck in the door? Train doors should open automatically if they hit something and can't close completely. And even if it's possible to get stuck, why didn't a passenger open the door? The manual release is there for a reason, pull it and open the door, there's no need to wait for workers, that's stupid.

There is no passenger accessible release for the doors

When I went to NYC me and 3 of my friends were walking passed and saw a disabled woman in a wheelchair stuck on a coach bus. The ramp had broken and the one helper had no way getting her down without literally dragging her off. She was asking people to help and everyone just went "Nah" or "Sorry I'm busy". We walked over and picked the wheelchair up with her in it and placed it down on the pavement. Who the fuck refuses to help a disabled woman? America has a really gross "Fuck you, got mine" mentality. There is some of it in other countries too but far and away in America.

I live in new york and see people help other new yorkers and tourists all the fucking time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom