• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the tits??? SFA pushed back to Jan. 11th 2005?

"Oh how quickly people forget how long it took for Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO to be released on XBL from Capcom. I think it was delayed like 4 times over the course of a year"

This was basically my primary concern. If I remember correctly, the primary reason for EO's delay was to tweak the online play. So what did we get for our wait? An unenhanced port of a 2 year game, with online play that was very fun, but still very flawed at times. I put in quite a few hours with Capcom vs. SNK 2:EO, and while I was happy to play one of my favorite fighters online, in 2004 or 2005, laggy online play for an Xbox Live port of a 5 year-old game (Street Fighter 3: Third Stike), will be unacceptable since I have seen far more demanding games on the same network (a broadband only network at that) with very little to "zero" lag.

As for Third Strike, there's no denying that it's an awesome game (second only to the original Street Fighter 2 in my opinion), but the only way I would ever buy it again, since I already own the Dreamcast version, is for online play. The only reason anyone should buy it, is if they: a) Didn't own a Dreamcast or Dreamcast version of the game or b) Are waiting to play the game online for the first time. Aside from that, I highly doubt that either version will be any better than the Dreamcast version of the game, which was pretty perfect, aside from slightly more grainy and shorter characters when compared to the coin-op version. I'm a huge Street Fighter fan, but I'll be the first to tell you that I found Hyper Street Fighter to be very disappointing. All it is, basically, is another version of Super Street Fighter with the ability to downgrade the characters to World Warrior status. No graphic upgrades (the same 16-bit graphics from the 1993 arcade version), no new backgrounds, etc. Sure it's nice if you're a fan of the series and aren't satisfied with any other versions of Super Street Fighter that you may own, but other that that, I see no reason to buy this game again, unless it's online. Also, the Street fighter Anime included on the disc is heavily compressed, cropped, and censored.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
CorruptionDee said:
Aside from that, I highly doubt that either version will be any better than the Dreamcast version of the game, which was pretty perfect, aside from slightly more grainy and shorter characters when compared to the coin-op version.

As I said in my earlier post, the DC version had more problems than just the screwed up resolution. Capcom also didn't bother to perfect the sound and most importantly, went ahead and messed up the gameplay.

I have the PS2 import of SF3 Third Strike and I can confirm that the PS2 version at least fixes the graphics, fixes the sound, and fixes the gameplay. The PS2 version is better than the DC version, is great for serious Third Strike fans, and is definately worth buying again if you are a serious fan. I expect the Xbox version to be the same as the PS2 version, although Capcom managed to screw up the port of CvS2 to Xbox (bad loading times, sound bugs, and botched gameplay) so anything is possible.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
NotMSRP said:
So which version is best?

MVC2: DC, PS2, XBOX
CVS2EO: GC, XBOX

Other fighters?

Best?

CvS2: DC is the overall best. Closest gameplay, closest graphics. PS2 is second, graphics are a little rough but it has the arcade gameplay. Gamecube is third, it has PS2 graphics with Anti-aliasing, (DC version still looks more like the arcade), but the gameplay has been botched. Xbox is last, it has the GC graphics and gameplay, but also has the sound bug, and the slowest loading times of any version.

MvC2: DC is the best by a huge margin. Arcade perfect graphics and gameplay. Xbox is second, it has some graphic omissions (missing animation on some sprites and missing background details in some stages, for example, it's missing the shadow effect in the clock tower stage and Colossus' dash is missing the trailing shadows). Also the gamplay is changed. Assists have a lag and a lot of combos don't come out the same (or at all). PS2 is the worst, all the problems of the Xbox with extra slowdown and really ugly sprites and backgrounds. Also has a few game crashing glitches.

SF3 Third Strike: I already talked about this. So far, PS2 is the best, followed by DC. Xbox is an unknown, given Capcom's track record for ports, but it's likely the Xbox version will be the same as the PS2 version.

Soul Calibur 2: Xbox looks the best and has the most stable frame rates. Gamecube is a close second. PS2 is a bit of a distant third: textures are noticeably blander on PS2, the frame rate is the least consistent, aliasing is much more noticeable.

NotMSRP

It has to be the EO version of CVS2, unless you can tell me what is really wrong with EO. You can play with it on or off, right?

Is there a good resource site that does a deep analysis of each version?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
NotMSRP said:
It has to be the EO version of CVS2, unless you can tell me what is really wrong with EO. You can play with it on or off, right?

You can turn Easy Operation off, but not the gameplay changes, which make the game different from the arcade (changed P groove, no roll cancel, changed damage balance, altered timing on some moves). If you don't care if the game is an accurate translation of the arcade (because you don't intend to practice for arcade play or a tournament) then I suppose this is not an issue.

In that case, the Gamecube version is a technically better port, but the Xbox has a better controller and online play. I'd probably go with the xbox version because of that, but the Gamecube version was better done.

now this is really annoying - i'm in PAL land so the wait will be even longer - i was intending on getting the xbox version but now i'm going more towards the ps2 one.

talking SFAC - is it getting a jap release? or do they just get the games separately (HSF2 + SF33S) ? cause the LE SF3 3rd strike is calling my name ....

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
the androgyne said:
now this is really annoying - i'm in PAL land so the wait will be even longer - i was intending on getting the xbox version but now i'm going more towards the ps2 one.

talking SFAC - is it getting a jap release? or do they just get the games separately (HSF2 + SF33S) ? cause the LE SF3 3rd strike is calling my name ....

SFAC is for North America only at this point (Hyper SF2 and SF3 TS on a single DVD). Japan has Hyper SF2 and SF3 separately. I assume Europe gets the same treatment (if SF3 is even being released in Europe).

jarrod

Banned
Fatghost28 said:
SFAC is for North America only at this point (Hyper SF2 and SF3 TS on a single DVD). Japan has Hyper SF2 and SF3 separately. I assume Europe gets the same treatment (if SF3 is even being released in Europe).
3rd Stike is being released seperately on PS2 in Europe (as Hyper SF2X was already released there) but XBox is getting both games as the Anniversary Collection. I'd think Japan would get the same but you never know, Capcom might not even think they're worth publishing in the region.

MoxManiac

I've never ever seen a SF3 3rd arcade machine, so my only experience with 3rd is the DC version. Looking foward to SFA so I can finally play a problem-free, accurate 3rd.

jett

D-Member
:O :D :D :D :D :D I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad to hear that the PS2 port is a NEW ported, and that the DC port wasn't used at all. So, from what I can gather, the "mixes" between each round are gone, right?

Also, I think you already mentioned this stuff, but I need you to confirmed it to me, FatGhost28. :p Is the resolution like it was on the DC port of 2nd Impact(extremely clean look, excellent image quality) or a piece of shit like the 3rd strike DC port(all 3 modes sucked ass)? Are the sprites bigger and more detailed like the are in the arcade version too? What about the animation(the DC version was missing some frames)?

Thanks. :D

edit: Good god those smileys are the most hideous things I've seen. *disables them*

Shouta

From what I recall, the 3s port to the PS2 is closer to the Arcade version than the DC. I`ve spent a lot of time with the Arcade 3s and I think it looks closest to the PS2 version (I played the PS2 version quite a bit at E3).

Can`t wait to get 3s so I can start playing again awesome stuff and my interest in the game has been rejuvenated because I`ve been in Japan playing with people.

One note, the PS2 version of most games seem to generally have the best color balancing/saturation IMO. Never seems to be very faded out (like the Xbox) and never too saturated (the case with a fair amount of GC ports) as the case with the CvS2 and SC2.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
jett said:
:O :D :D :D :D :D I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad to hear that the PS2 port is a NEW ported, and that the DC port wasn't used at all. So, from what I can gather, the "mixes" between each round are gone, right?

Also, I think you already mentioned this stuff, but I need you to confirmed it to me, FatGhost28. :p Is the resolution like it was on the DC port of 2nd Impact(extremely clean look, excellent image quality) or a piece of shit like the 3rd strike DC port(all 3 modes sucked ass)? Are the sprites bigger and more detailed like the are in the arcade version too? What about the animation(the DC version was missing some frames)?

Thanks. :D

edit: Good god those smileys are the most hideous things I've seen. *disables them*

I'm going to bed but:

1. The music is selectable. You can choose the arcade music or the DC music. The sound and voice has been redone and is like the arcade and not the tinny DC sound.

2. All the animation appears to be there.

3. Image quality. Well, it's cleaner and crisper than the DC even when the DC is in the de-interlaced mode. All the detail is there and the sprites are arcade size. It looks like the arcade to me, but I haven't been able to do a side by side comparison! However: the resolution has been scaled up a bit on default so you have to fiddle with the settings. You can adjust the X and Y size values and turn off the filtering to get it pretty close to the arcade. I actually prefer it with the filter turned on - it looks really good, very clean and the filtering doesn't obscure any details (in fact it seems to enhance them). I think with the filter on, the game looks a bit nicer than the arcade version. The colors are also like the arcade now. Filtering with the composite cables looks a little blurry but with Svideo or Component it looks very clean.

Fatghost28 said:
However: the resolution has been scaled up a bit on default so you have to fiddle with the settings. You can adjust the X and Y size values and turn off the filtering to get it pretty close to the arcade.
So it doesn't run in low resolution? Forget it. *pats DC port*

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
BeOnEdge said:
capcom fears halo 2. smart move.

heh, I just bought an xbox because of SFIII online coming soon. But it's a good thing I got into halo because of it.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Actually I don't think I was being clear.

The PS2 version has a default setting that is not quite like the arcade's resolution, but you can change that and fix it in the display options. The PS2 version has the same resolution when fixed as the arcade game (and if you like, SF3 Double Impact for DC). However, the DC version uses a scanline blitter, the PS2 version does not.

Initially, you might think this makes the PS2 version look a little blocky, but the upside is that it actually mirrors the arcade more accurately. In the PS2 version, you can actually see the fighter's facial details, such as blinking animations and mouth movements when they are hit/speak/taunt/use moves. The scanlines in the DC versions obscured those details. I never knew that Remy's eye colors change depending on his costume color, but that detail is observable in the PS2 version.

People with HDTV might find the game looks better with the filter. It's a very mild Anti-Aliasing filter, similar to the one used in Guilty Gear X2 for the PS2. It does a very good job of fixing the chunky edges without destroying details.

On this topic - does anyone recommend a joystick or controller (i'm open to stick or 6 face button controller - no preference) for xbox? I've heard x-arcade has some lag with the adaptor ... ?

In the meantime, just pre order the new Street Fighter figures that are coming out. Good times.

pre863big.jpg

jett

D-Member
Thanks for the expanded info, I appreciate it. Still a little worried about the res, but as long as it's like 2nd Impact on the DC I'm fine with it. :p

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
jett said:
Thanks for the expanded info, I appreciate it. Still a little worried about the res, but as long as it's like 2nd Impact on the DC I'm fine with it. :p

With filtering off, it is just like 2nd Impact DC but without the scan lines. With filtering on, it's the same but a little cleaner and smoother but with a small trade off in sharpness.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I've been thinking and here's what I've cum up with...

The real reason for the delay is Capcom wants the fighting games to have the Xbox Live 3.0 (Tsunami) support, stuff like Tournaments, Spectate, Awareness, Teams, etc. They also would like to solve the dropper problem.

If they put the Tsunami support, it better be worth it, if it comes out like Capcom vs. SNK 2 (exact same format: no Tsunami support, dropper problem not fixed, etc...), i swear...something must be wrong with this company.

They're also probably just trying to tweak the online portion of the game more than likely. Cuz especially with all of the problems CVS2 had, they really don't need a repeat.

Like I said, this is just speculation but if they implement XBL3.0 features and host the games on their own OC3 Fiber Optics server, I think the wait will be worth it.

Top Bottom