• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game that year? 1998 edition. (56k)

darthbob

The GOAT as far as arcade flight shooters go, IMO.

n64-StarWarsRogueSquadron.jpg

Many memories of 8 year old me playing this game like crack

antitrop

Age of Empires: Rise of Rome
Battlezone
Final Fantasy VII (PC)
Final Fantasy Tactics
Grand Theft Auto
Half-Life
Motocross Madness
Pokemon Red
Starcraft: Brood War
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Unreal

GOTY: Half-Life

Some good shit here. I didn't know there was a F-Zero for 64. I'm still kind of mad I dropped Breath of Fire due to not being able to figure out what to do.

I played the following:
Banjo-Kazooie
Metal Gear Solid
Pokemon Blue
Resident Evil 2
Spyro the Dragon
Tekken 3
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
WCW vs Nwo Revenge

Mostly good games here. I played Spyro a few years ago for real that time and I found it pretty repetitive level design-wise and I dropped it a little after electric floors were introduced. I was disappointed. I heard Spyro 2 is better.

Banjo-Kazooie and Ocarina of Time I think I played last year or 2015 and they're every bit as wonderful as I remember. There's of course Pokemon Blue which may have been my first RPG and I was a part of the Pokemon craze at the time. Look how far the series has come and the series even got a second wind with Pokemon Go, it's just unfortunate that it didn't last long because it took them too long to add Gen 2 pokemon.

Tekken 3 was that shit. It might be my favorite in the series. I played the other two before this one, but I get more nostalgic for 3. It just had that something special about it. WCW vs Nwo Revenge was the last wrestling game I was over the moon about. I just never cared for wrestling games after that probably because I stopped fucking with wrestling when I turned 10. Maybe one day I'll play another one.

Resident Evil 2 may still be my favorite RE, but I'm not sure. I did Resident Evil 4 again in several years last year and I forgot how fucking good it is. I'll have to replay it again and 3 to make sure. I have RE5 now too, so I'd have to weight that as well. I played Metal Gear Solid a little after I played Snake Eater and it's a pretty good game. It didn't impress me as much as others, but I enjoyed it.

Looked like a pretty good fucking year. Still some games on there I want to try out such as Final Fantasy Tactics, Breath of Fire III, Xenogears, and Parasite Eve.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I never got to play this one and I love the shit out of the first Myth. Is it available to buy on GOG?

Nope. There was a glimmer of hope when the Army Men games hit as they were Take-Two's first back catalogue re-releases in years, but that was more than four months ago now.

ironmang

Half Life for sure because it gave me CS, my most played series of all time by very far.
Pokemon Red/Blue runner up for those 2-3 years it dominated my childhood.

Zeshile

Wonderful year. Metal Gear Solid, Half Life, Spyro, Resident Evil 2, and so many more. Has to be the best year for game releases.

There is one game though, that stands above all others released that year. THE best 3d platformer, no, the best platformer of all time, Banjo-Kazooie. The music, the gameplay the levels, and the characters,
not
the camera. Just amazing all around.

My avatar gave it away, didn't it?

CrazyHorse

These threads are amazing. Keep it up! We need more that go back further because I want to know about games before my time.

In 1998 mine was F-Zero X but there are so many others.

What an amazing time to be a gamer.

These threads are amazing. Keep it up! We need more that go back further because I want to know about games before my time.

In 1998 mine was F-Zero X but there are so many others.

What an amazing time to be a gamer.

Out of curiosity, what's before you time? =P

1998 was the year of PlayStation for me. I got one for my 14th birthday.

Games I was played:
Need for Speed III
Tekken 3
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil 2
Dead Or Alive
Gran Turismo

Others games were from the year(s) prior like FFVII. Also I remember buying Playstation magazines for the demo discs.

On the PC side, I played Unreal and Half Life a year or 2 later when I finally got a PC that could run them.

UraMallas

Wow. To be honest it's kind of a down year for me. Stand outs of mine:

MGS
RE2
FFT
OoT
WCWvNWO Revenge

That's it for games I would consider all-time faves and I've played a large chunk of the games.

I'm giving it to WCW vs. NWO Revenge. Played the crap out of it and had more fun than any of the others.

Age of Empires was my first PC games as a kid. I spent many hours doing dumb things in the scenario editor. Great year that kickstarted my love for strategy games and RTS's.

For me it was all of the following...

Half-Life 1
Zelda OoT
Metal Gear Solid
Banjo-Kazooie
Resident Evil 2 (Though to be honest, I didn't play RE2 until I bought the N64 port)
Thief: The Dark Project (I prefer the sequel more though)
Daytona USA 2 (arcade)
Wario Land II (gameboy)
Fallout 2
Starsiege: Tribes

IC5

1998 is loaded with classics. But I didnt play them all that year. Some, like MGS, didnt get played until a couple of years later. Some games really resonated for me. Xenogears, Gran Turismo, Parasite Eve. But, my favorite game of 1998, is none of those.

Mega-Man Legends. Mega-Man was my bread and butter game series, as a little boy.

I was super excited to get a proper 3D Mega-Man, as a teen. The first game I ever pre-ordered. It delivered in all aspects. Graphics, gameplay, story. The story, in particular, was such a treat. And completely unexpected, given the series history of basic evil robot background plots.
Set against blue skies graphics. The character and story integrated gameplay, made Ocarina of Time feel plodding and mechanical.

Honestly I can't even pick. 1998 all by itself was instrumental in defining what genres I fell in love with going forward to this day.

I respectfully refuse to pick just one.

RBIYF

Neo Member
1998, the year I consider the best year in gaming. To me, 1998 is a year that has yet to be topped in terms of genre defining iconic milestone releases and new ips that went on to become classics.

Every major gaming platform and pretty much every genre had an iconic release that year...there was literally something awesome for every type of gamer...that's the testiment to a truly great gaming year.

Favorite that year - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Other 1998 games I loved:

Half-Life
Grim Fandango
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil 2
Fallout 2
Unreal

Such an amazing year. Only 2007 comes close imo.

Nope. There was a glimmer of hope when the Army Men games hit as they were Take-Two's first back catalogue re-releases in years, but that was more than four months ago now.

Damn. I still have my copy of Myth 1, I wonder if that will work on Windows 10.

Sanctuary

One of the greatest gaming years of all time, if not the best. With so many great games to choose from, it's still an easy choice.

NTSC_Resident_Evil_2_Cover.png

Other favorites:

Baldur's Gate
Banjo-Kazooie
Fallout 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Half-Life
Metal Gear Solid
Oddworld: Abe's Exodus
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Parasite Eve
Shining Force 3
StarCraft
Tactics Ogre
Tenchu
OoT
Thief: The Dark Project
Xenogears

Alric

I never got to play this one and I love the shit out of the first Myth. Is it available to buy on GOG?

Unfortunately, no. It is available really cheap through amazon. ProjectMagma moded and patched it so you can download and play all of Myth 1 with their updated Myth 2 engine as well as all the mods that are still available. It's pretty great and totally worth picking up.

Magnus

This is tough. Gotta be RE2 or MGS. Can't quite decide.

Zelda: OOT didn't make as much of an impression on me, despite my recognition that was an impressive game. Touch overrated IMO.

Gotta be Half-Life, changed the way story was told in games. And it brought about Counter Strike and Team Fortress Classic (I know it's not the original Team Fortress but it's my favorite).

Kater

Banned
Age of Empires The Rise of Rome, played that for hours on our first PC. Made me really interested in history for a time when I was still a child.

Honourable mention would go to Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus which I played on the PS1. Good times. The baddies really scared me back then tho. Creepy things.

farisr

My first reaction before looking at the list was going to be Metal Gear Solid, but man, some of my favorite games of all time, and favorite entries of certain franchises were released this year.

I think in terms of pure gameplay clock, gran turismo got the most play out of me. I restarted and did the career many times over working my way up to that GTO Twin Turbo fully upgraded.

The game I replayed and finished the most, would be MGS1. With Crash 3 coming in 2nd.

Still, gotta give it to Metal Gear Solid. That was a real "woah" game for me.

Firemind

Ocarina of Time

Still play the original to this day.

Needed a guide to get past the Water Temple for the first time though. That fucking key.

Top Bottom