• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game that year? 1998 edition. (56k)

Sanctuary

Having just finished my Top 10 for 2016 in the GOTY thread, it actually impressed me greatly how varied and not homogeneous it was.

Notice, I also said innovation, and I didn't say every single game was the same. There's a reason the years from 2007 and before are considered the golden years of gaming.
Also, look at how many remasters or games that don't actually offer anything new that are on your list and then look at the list of games in your first post of this very thread.

Ennosuke

Banjo was great, but then I realized it was the Pokemon year. And damn I was hyped as a kid. So my GOTY 1998 was Pokemon.

Gulz1992

MediEvil. It is one of my fondest gaming recollections from my childhood and still remains one of my favorite games of all time.

The GOAT year.

Just picking out the games I loved most would be a big list.

Xenogears, MGS1, Einhander, Skullmonkeys, Resident Evil 2, Parasite Eve, Alundra, FF Tactics, Klonoa, Ocarina of Time, Abe's Exoddus, Tomba, F-Zero X, Suikoden 2, Spyro, Brave Fencer Musashi? God damn.

Nah... for me?

Heart_of_Darkness_Coverart.png

...it's Heart of Darkness. The most personal favorite. I bought it with my first paycheck along with Parasite Eve and Spyro, but that one sums me up most.

Herne

Ocarina of Time, without a shadow of a doubt. I followed that game's day development from the very first technical demo we saw on the N64 showing Link fighting a chrome-ish enemy. For three years I watched that game grow, and it was so absolutely gobsmackingly worth it.

Another game that I love is Abe's Exoddus.

Might seem inconceivable to some people, but I got Ocarina of Time and Abe's Exoddus the same day, was equally uber-hyped for both, and after a couple hours with OoT I was more interested in starting up Exoddus... and didn't stop until I finished it, before returning to OoT the next week.

I would say Ocarina of Time but I didn't play that until 2000.

So I guess I'll go with Gran Turismo. I can still reneged my jaw dropping when that first replay hit from my first race and how real all the cars looked

Edit: shit I forgot Apocalypse staring Bruce Willis came out that year. I fucking loved that game. Cheesy cutscenes and dialogue, all of it

Well most played were probably:

Resi 2
Vigilante 8
Duke Nukem TTK
Tekken 3
Gran Turismo

So gotta go with GT.

Others I enjoyed:

Point Blank
FIFA 99
Cool Boarders 3
TOCA (solid racer bad luck it came out the same year as GT)

KalBalboa

Banned
God, what a year.

Resident Evil 2 for me.

NTSC_Resident_Evil_2_Cover.png

I'm getting misty eyed thinking about the night I got to open Armored Core: Project Phantasma and play it well past midnight with my sister. We were 11 & 10 years old. 1998 was a good time.

sw26

Really struggle to choose between MGS and RE2, as both are probably in my top 5 of all time, but if forced I would have to go with MGS.

It's difficult to put into words how amazing playing that as a 10 year old who knew nothing about the game/series at the time. The 'cinematic' nature of it, while pretty quaint looking back now, was unlike anything I had ever seen to that point.

Honourable mentions for Pokemon Red which I adored and Ocarina which I didn't end up playing until about 10 years later and enjoyed but missed out on the 'wow' factor I'm sure it had at release.

Great year.

Notice, I also said innovation, and I didn't say every single game was the same. There's a reason the years from 2007 and before are considered the golden years of gaming.
Also, look at how many remasters or games that don't actually offer anything new that are on your list and then look at the list of games in your first post of this very thread.

Considered by whom? I'm certainly not part of this panel that was given that authority. ;) In that same gen, I'd easily put 2009 and 2011 over 2007. Possibly even 2013.

There were two remasters, and one happened to be a game that was never on a console before and was on a device barely anyone owned (Gravity Rush). In 2002, one of my favorite games was Sonic Mega Collection, and in 03, Sonic Mega Collection Plus when it was ported to the PS2. Furthermore, many Genesis/SNES games were ported to the Saturn/PS1, and it was a lot easier to offer something new in the PS1/N64 era considering we jumped from 2D to 3D.

Brakke

Banned
Damn what a stacked year.

Sim City 3000 was my favorite ever Maxis joint. I still listen to that soundtrack on the regular.

Malawhur

98 might just be the greatest of all time, so many genres made a huge leap with the games released that year.
For me it goes like this: Diablo, Grim Fandando, MGS, Sanitarium, Casear III, Commandos,

verbatimo

1998 was one the greatest gaming years ever

Baldur's Gate
Fallout 2
Grim Fandango
Half-Life
StarCraft
Thief the Dark Project
Tomb Raider III

sogood.gif

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
What a year, with my three all time favourites of mine releasing that year. I'd put Banjo-Kazooie[/i] on top, the best western developed game ever. Also the best collectathon and the best (semi-) open world ever created.

After that it's a toss up between Ocarina of Time, a truly masterful 3D reinvention of the Zelda formula and the best racing game ever made F-Zero X. F-Zero X is particularly impressive because it is such an amazing step up from F-Zero on SNES.

WITHE1982

I don't even need to consult a list for this one.

It's RESIDENT EVIL 2!

NTSC_Resident_Evil_2_Cover.png

9582424_capcom-talks-remaking-resident-evil-2_t5736a5b3.gif

Superior to its predecessor in every single way. A real milestone in both Survival Horror and action gaming and the absolute pinnacle of the series for me.

Wow, 1998, what a year. For me, it definitely has to be Resident Evil 2. It was my first Resi game, and the first game i ever bought for my PS1. I would watch that FMV intro over, and over. I knew it off by heart. "That guys a maniac...Whayd he bite me?!"
The sheer amount of content in it too, 4 different endings, 2 different scenarios, i played it non stop. One of the best gaming experiences ive ever had.

edit
Yall need to stop using the awful US box art for Resi 2.

resident20evil20220e.jpg

People should be putting their age in because I'd put a bet on a lot of you not actually playing these games in the year they were released.

Anyway, this is easy : Zelda OOT.

38 btw.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Xenogears is my personal #1 all-time favorite game overall, followed closely by Final Fantasy Tactics, my personal #2. 'Nuff said. :D

Edit : Forgot to mention Thief, another fantastic game. Oddly enough, I was still a big FPS player at the time, and I didn't enjoy Half-Life 1 at all. :(

Joey Ravn

Banned
Pokémon Red and Blue. No contest.

Honorable mentions:
  • Baldur's Gate (PC)
  • Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
  • Fallout 2 (PC)
  • Grand Theft Auto (PC)
  • Grim Fandango (PC)
  • Half-Life (PC)
  • Metal Gear Solid (PS)
  • Resident Evil 2 (PS)
  • Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (PS)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

dstruiks

Neo Member
What a year! So many great Square games (Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Musashi), classics (Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid), and fantastic PC games (Half-life, Commandos, Grim Fandango). I can't believe the amount of quality being pushed in 98. For me, though, the two games that I spent the most time with in 98 were: Final Fantasy Tactics and Thief. Two of my absolute favorite titles.

dyergram

Jesus what a awesome year! I know objectively probably not the best game that came out but wcw vs nwo is my favourite I played the fuck out of that game. N64 had a great line up that year damn.

kionedrik

Let's get the obvious out of the way first: Half-Life, Fallout 2 and Starcraft are my top picks for that particular year.

However it's unfair not to mention Carmageddon 2, Commandos:BEL, GTA, Sim CIty 3000, Shogo, Thief and Theme Hospital.
Even FIFA 98 was super fun despite being a broken mess of a game.

'98 was one of the greatest years ever.

Metal Gear Solid, although I didn't actually play it until 2000 or so.

Changed my life. It made me fundamentally reexamine my idea of what a video game could even be. I've probably beaten it and its sequel more than any other game in history. To this day I try to go back to it at least once a year.

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Colin McRae Rally
4. Tekken 3
5. Metal Gear Solid
6. Gran Turismo
7. Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
8. Frankreich 98 (World Cup 98)

Melchiah

Wow, 1998, what a year. For me, it definitely has to be Resident Evil 2. It was my first Resi game, and the first game i ever bought for my PS1. I would watch that FMV intro over, and over. I knew it off by heart. "That guys a maniac...Whayd he bite me?!"
The sheer amount of content in it too, 4 different endings, 2 different scenarios, i played it non stop. One of the best gaming experiences ive ever had.

edit
Yall need to stop using the awful US box art for Resi 2.

resident20evil20220e.jpg

Same for me. Can't wait for the remake. Hopefully it'll do the game justice.

cireza

Adding my vote to this older topic (cause I missed it back then). Yep, Sega Saturn again ^^

Burning Rangers
Shining Force III
Panzer Dragoon Saga
King of Fighters 97

Again, it is difficult to pick one over the others. But if I had too, I would pick Shining Force III (game was released in 98 in Europe, not sure about the US).

Ilmyr

I always associate 1998 with "Half-Life". Thats my pick.

There are so many other good games from that year though, probably the best year in gaming history.

Top Bottom