• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game that year? 2001 edition. (56k)

DrD

Metal Gear Solid 2. My favorite MGS game outside of V, which I still haven't played yet.

What a great year. Jak and Daxter, Halo: Combat Evolved, GTA 3, Silent Hill 2, Max Payne, Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction are all some of my favorite games. Twisted Metal Black was also my favorite Twisted Metal.

Metal Gear Solid 2. My favorite MGS game outside of V, which I still haven't played yet.

What a great year. Jak and Daxter, Halo: Combat Evolved, GTA 3, Silent Hill 2, Max Payne, Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction are all some of my favorite games. Twisted Metal Black was also my favorite Twisted Metal.

I'm telling you: I don't think any year of that gen (or most gens, but since we're in the PS2/Xbox/GC era with this thread) was as stacked. Even then, I was thinking, "How the hell did this all come out in one year?"

kionedrik

Thanks. I'm much greener on PC releases in 01, so I appreciate it when people point out what's been overlooked!

No worries. PC games are generally harder to keep track even when you're a long time PC gamer. Btw, I'm eagerly awaiting the '98, '99 and '00 threads.

No worries. PC games are generally harder to keep track even when you're a long time PC gamer. Btw, I'm eagerly awaiting the '98, '99 and '00 threads.

Yeah, it's hard to think of generations when you do PC. =P

I'm looking forward to 98 so I can mention Starcraft, and especially Brood War since I made a billion maps on that damn game and played it until Starcraft II came out.

Gigarator

wlF4XuK.jpg

Shenmue II - Greatest game I ever played.

Yes it's a 2001 release, in Europe/Japan anyway.

kingfall

Neo Member
Three games stand out for me in the list:

Civilization III
Doom
Max Payne

I've played Civ I to VI and it's probably my most favorite franchise, but I remember Max Payne most vividly. Probably the only TPS I've ever finished.

Kneefoil

Hngh... Golden Sun, MGS2 or Oracle of Ages? Can I just pick all three? Sons of Liberty probably deserves it the most.

One of my favorite years of gaming. Only really beat by 1998. GTA3 takes it for me. I was only expecting it to be a time filler into my more anticipated games like Devil May Cry and MGS2, instead I wound up loving it far more than either of those.

Shenmue II - Greatest game I ever played.

Yes it's a 2001 release, in Europe/Japan anyway.

Yeah, there's going to be a bit of North America bias to this series, but if you guys are in the EU and know for a fact a game came out then and you played it, by all means mention it!

Thanks. I'm much greener on PC releases in 01, so I appreciate it when people point out what's been overlooked!

Fallout Tactics
Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge
Anachronox
Severance Blade of Darkness
Serious Sam The First Encounter
Clive Barker's Undying
The Settlers 4
Gothic
Empire Earth
Battle Realms
Kohan
Myth 3 The Wolf Age
Commandos 2
Desperados
Tropico
IL Sturmovik
Wizardry 8

Rad-

So many great games that year but I have to go with Operation Flashpoint. The original is still top 5 FPSs ever made.

MetalSlug

My favourite games released during 2001 are:

• Sonic Adventure 2
  • Crazy Taxi 2

I also got GTA3 with a PS2 for Xmas 2001(Cause Dreamcast died) which was amazing.

Sojiro

Holy shit wow what a stacked year! I guess I didn't realize a lot of incredible stuff came out in this one year...jeez! I mean shit...I don't think I can pick a single one! Top 5 in no order because I can't do just 1:

Metal Gear Solid 2
Phantasy Star Online
Grand Theft Auto 3
Dragon Quest VII
Final Fantasy X

Whew this year! Lot of respect to Halo, Diablo II and Pikmin as well, I would have them in my list, but I know I didn't play Pikmin until much later, I didn't play Halo until the PC version came out, and I didn't get Diablo II until the Diablo Battlechest package (had D1 and D2+expansion) which I believe was a couple years later. I still feel bad leaving off a lot of games that I played that year, this best of year is easily the hardest one i've done yet.

On another note, biggest disappointment of that year from those games was Zone of the Enders, its not bad, but it didn't live up to expectations of what it would be. ZoE 2 made up for it though.

Kater

Banned
Gothic was the that one game I was really obsessed about for a time in that year.

1083842-gothic_004_super.png

I wanted to name Sacrifice but when I looked it up it said it came out Nov 2000, shame. Definitely would have taken Gothic's place for me if it came out two months later.

antitrop

Advance Wars
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Devil May Cry
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
Final Fantasy X
Golden Sun
Grand Theft Auto III
Max Payne
Phantasy Star Online
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Twisted Metal: Black

GOTY: Grand Theft Auto III

What a year, holy shit.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This is difficult, as we didn't get any Xbox or Gamecube games in Europe till 2002. We also had to wait for FFX, MGS2 and Ico. This is why 2001 wasn't all that great over here.

Best game on the list: Rogue Squadron 2
Best game on the list that actually came out in 2001 here: GTA 3

mrmickfran

Devil May Cry

Still at the top of the series for me. No other DMC matched the atmosphere or boss fights of the first.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Halo CE and it isn't even close.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Empire Earth (PC)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Golden Sun (GBA)
Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)
Max Payne (PS2, Xbox, PC)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)
Paper Mario (N64)
Phantasy Star Online (DC)
Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II (GC)
The Typing of the Dead (DC)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages (GB)

Here are the listed games that meant the most to me.

Narrowing it down...

1) Phantasy Star Online
2) Grand Theft Auto III
3) Metal Gear Solid 2
4) Final Fantasy X
5) Golden Sun.

KodaRuss

Diablo II. Clear winner but it is pretty close

Grand Theft Auto 3 and Grand Turismo 3 A-Spec are 2 and 3 for me.

Soul Reaver 2 is probably 4.

EDIT: I guess I did not realize at first it was just the Diablo Expansion.

Grand Theft Auto 3 it is.

Phantasy Star Online, easily. I put so much time into that game and was obsessed with it.

Another game that came out in 2001 that I was obsessed with is Anarchy Online. But I didn't start playing it until the next year. Its launch was pretty bad from what I remember so I held off.

Paper Mario and SSB:M. Also, since it's the launch year of the Xbox, I also want to mention:

Azurik: Rise of Perathia
Fusion Frenzy
Halo

Thabass

Game of the Year from me was Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

So many other great games tho:

Final Fantasy X
ICO
Luigi's Mansion
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Sonic Adventure 2

So many good games.

GamerJM

Banned
So many great games this year. What an insane year.

But there's only one answer. The best game ever made. Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Top Bottom