• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game that year? 2001 edition. (56k)

Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Baahl
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
Final Fantasy X
Grand Theft Auto III
Ico
Klonoa 2
Metal Gear Solid 2
Silent Hill 2
Twisted Metal Black

God damn, what a year. I think when all is said and done, combining what I enjoyed most to what I would still play and enjoy most now? Ico probably takes it... but I hate splitting hairs here. Hard year to do that on.

Couple great ones, titles that saw a ton of play from me where Devil May Cry, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Final Fantasy X, Sonic Adventure 2, and Zone of the Enders.

The title I easily played the most of was Melee, but my passion and love for the Smash series has kinda died hard over the years.

Tropico, Diablo 2 Expansion, Civ 3

Tropico was a perfect relaxation game when I was in college. It was a quirky escape from normal city sims.

eot

Banned
Diablo 2: LoD for sure

I played that game for thousands of hours, and I still load it up every once in a while.

Alphahawk

Wow what a great lineup.

I'm going to say Halo. But also I feel Devil May Cry was also very good.

Runner up goes to Phantasy Star Online, it was crazy fun playing that online, although the game itself I kinda feel was a bit lackluster, which is why I can't pick it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Jeez. Let's just be real, here: 2001 was the best gaming will ever be. The sheer number of amazing and *legit* revolutionary titles on that list is staggering. Holy hell.

I'd probably have to go with FFX, though. But it's a tough call.

2001 was quite the year, and I can't pick a favorite so here's the finalists in my mind;

• Civilization III
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Grand Theft Auto III
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • THPS 3

But even that is missing some of my favorites. Those 5 just really stood out as games I absolutely loved--and in some cases still love.

bonesquad

Phantasy Star Online. There are many great games that year, but PSO was special. I played through that loop countless times with people I met through those old Sega chat rooms. God that was a long time ago...

Black & White
Empire Earth
GTA 3
Gran Turismo 3
IL-Sturmovik
Max Payne
Metal Gear Solid 2
Operation Flashpoint
Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge
Silent Hill 2
Soul Reaver 2
SSX Tricky

Those are all the games I played and enjoyed. IL-Sturmovik probably got the most hours. Empire Earth had horribly broken AI that cheated unbelievably. Played a 2 vs 2 with my ex against the CPU and in 12 hours we couldn't finish them off.

Sanctuary

Diablo 2: LOD followed by Devil May Cry and Baldur's Gate: ToB
In hindsight though, Devil May Cry offered the more unique experience overall (and immediate "WOW!" factor), since LOD just enhanced the gameplay that I'd been playing for a while anyway.

Look at all the edgy GAFers not voting for GTA3. Fo shame.

So edgy. It was one of the first PS2 games I bought, and I was bored to tears after about seven hours.

Diablo 2: LOD followed by Devil May Cry and Baldur's Gate: ToB
In hindsight though, Devil May Cry offered the more unique experience overall (and immediate "WOW!" factor), since LOD just enhanced the gameplay that I'd been playing for a while anyway.

Would you say Lords of Destruction is still your favorite despite the unique experience Devil May Cry gave at the time?

How the hell am I suppose choose between Golden Sun, Ico, Mgs2, Devil May Cry and and and...

No, fuck no way, it's like having to pick your favorite son having five Nobel awarded children.

Hell what a year.

MrS

Banned
It's very difficult to choose between Max Payne, MGS2, SH2 and GTA3, some of my all time favourite games. Tricky and DMC were good too but they're in the echelon below.

I think I have to give it to GTA 3 for how incredible it was at the time, its impact and legacy and how it has endured: I played through it again recently and it's genuinely better then IV and V imo.

Wollan

First time I accessed the area around the hilltop mansion in GTA3 was revelatory.

Silent Hill 2 & Halo is among my favorite games of all time.

I have played the MGS2 demo for more hours than many large games. However I only bothered playing through the main game once or twice.

RetroMG

Super Smash Bros Melee, easily. I used to periodically delete my save and just run through and unlock everything again.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is a very close 2nd.

Silent Hill 2. What a magnificent game. Best use of fog in gaming history. To think that the definitive version of this game is still the PS2 version makes it even more special.

IC5

It's Devil May Cry. No question. That game changed the industry. It's fantastic.

I'm a big fan of some other games from this year. But none of them is as fresh, few as good of a game. None as industry affecting.

1. Silent Hill 2
2. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
3. GTA III
4. Advance Wars
5. Zelda: Oracle of Ages
6. Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
7. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
8. Metal Gear Solid 2
9. Operation Flashpoint
10. Gran Turismo III
11. Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II
12. Golden Sun
13. Halo
14. Severance
15. Final Fantasy X (don't really like it)

Packed year.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Great year, but my favourite is Super Monkey Ball. Reaching the master mode is one amazing challenge that is among my top game memories. I was sweating so hard during Expert Extra, that my legs felt like they were freezing. Probably the most intense game moment I ever experienced.

ZeoVGM

Banned
What a god damn amazing year for gaming.

I feel like the easiest choice is Final Fantasy X but Phantasy Star Online came out that year too.

Top Bottom