• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would happen, if Microsoft turned back to classic console paradigma?

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
iu

Parazels

Lmao they were the ones who began all the Subscription,DLC and Paid Online stuff to BEGIN WITH…Theres no possibility ever of them going back on it.
And if they did they would go broke since Gamepass is there only real income stream at the moment.
But now Xbox doesn't sell well. And won't unless they change their strategy. Game pass won't make a profit without a growing install base.

Flintty

I've been waiting to say hello for a while now tbh...
I just wanna add context to this before I get flamed for console warring. I've bought every Xbox on launch since the beginning, after my beloved Dreamcast bit the dust. Xbox is what I turned to. What I want from Xbox is the experiences I had with OG Xbox and the 360. The great games, both single player story and epic multiplayer. As a console, XB1 was a mess but they still put out some games I really liked. But XSX, not so much.

When I (as a massive Halo fan) don't even finish the Halo Infinite campaign (after sitting through Halo 4 and 5 lol), you know you fucked up. MS own some of the biggest franchises in the world for me (even before their recent buying spree), but they continually miss the mark and can't put out games to the level that Sony has. I mean, fuck me, I only own a handful of games on my PS5 and they shit all over Xbox exclusives.

Fuck their current direction and fuck 343. I'm gonna just play Astro Bot and Stellar Blade (and maybe explore some PS4 games I missed) and enjoy myself until they make it worth the investment of my time and money. Cunts.

ZehDon

With USD$70b in acquisitions to pay off, I imagine they'd utterly collapse, sell the bits off piecemeal to Tencent and Apple, and go back to making inferior versions of DX every other release.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Let's assume Microsoft makes a declaration:

- No more subscriptions. The current subscriptions won't be prolonged after expiring;
- Free online multiplayer;
- All Microsoft franchises become Xbox exclusives. No more PC ports at all;
- No longer support for Microsoft franchises on the other platforms.

What would happen after that?
Not sure what it would do commercially against PlayStation, but it would certainly have my interest in a big way again.

LIVE would never be free, though, so scratch that one off.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
That fails especially with the PC community so pissed at them for taking elder scrolls and such away and they decide to get out of gaming, selling their IP

Sony buys doom, elder scrolls, ironically not Starfield after seeing it flop, Spyro, and crash

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

“Microsoft Franchises” You mean classic PC franchises where they bought the publishers?

What would happen is we’d burn their headquarters to the ground.

Last edited:

lucbr

They would sell more hardware, definitely. Some people won't stop playing Fallout, Forza, etc. But they would make less money. Actually the other way around is more likely, the other companies also becoming third-parties. Sony is already launching games on other platforms. Things change fast, this industry will probably be very different in a decade.

Fess

Would just end with closed studios. I don’t think there is a big enough market for their consoles and they would need absolutely phenomenal AAA(A) exclusives to begin pulling new people in. And this generation has pulled many enthusiast console gamers over to PC so their userbase would be smaller than ever with a console-only approach.

I think console fans just have to accept that MS is pulling away from Xbox as a traditional console and having exclusives. Might possibly have PC exclusives once their PC-Xbox is out but if Switch 2 and PS6 becomes big they’ll be there as well.

Cyberpunkd

Let's assume Microsoft makes a declaration:

- No more subscriptions. The current subscriptions won't be prolonged after expiring;
- Free online multiplayer;
- No longer support for Microsoft franchises on the other platforms.

Nobody would believe them after what they have done. They destroyed any goodwill they have built.

Radical_3d

With half the industry as exclusive (except for CoD for legal reasons) and all you’ve said? They’ll go back to the 360 glory days. Comfortly outselling PlayStation in the States. Annalist overestimates the loyalty of gamers in a regular basis and thus they find themselves shocked when a new product rocks the establishment.

Ashamam

The OP was in the bargaining stage of grief?

MS has not proven to be competent custodians of IP, so anyone who loves any of the acquired IP should be praying MS doesn't suck the value out of them before even starting to think about who gets to play what on what platform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom