• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you like Sony's next move to be in the VR space.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Just jumping on the bandwagon of all the recent discussions around the headset, brought about by its upcoming PC support and deep sale. Barring this is a firesale and Sony abandons the platform (I don't think they will), what's the next step you would like them to take. Should they just keep the current headset at a lower price, maybe around the $400 mark, or would you rather a revision? It's got some compelling features, but a lens refresh would do it some good. Maybe wireless support? Do they have a future in the VR market? Discuss your thoughts.

Seyken

Give up on it, take the L. It's a money pit and they don't have enough resources to pump out the amount of games it needs to do well.

as I said in another thread.

VR should JUST provide the next level in immersion for ANY game (especially AAA ones) you want to play....the IMAX of gaming.

make it a 200 USD "immersive headset" drop any fancy controllers and dedicated software.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Unless they're going to dedicate studio resources to making sure there's a constant stream of compelling content being made for it, their next move should be a graceful exit from the consumer market. By all means, keep going on the R&D. But they're not doing themselves, or consumers any favours by sending these things out to die.

Topher

Gold Member
Let It Go Relax GIF by Peloton

Sony needs to focus on the good shit. They are spread way too thin, imo.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Give up on it, take the L. It's a money pit and they don't have enough resources to pump out the amount of games it needs to do well.
I would say they would do well with two tentpole games a year, but even that doesn't seem possible with the realities development these days. In saying that, VR games don't have to as long and deep in their mechanics.

Last edited:
Just jumping on the bandwagon of all the recent discussions around the headset, brought about by its upcoming PC support and deep sale. Barring this is a firesale and Sony abandons the platform (I don't think they will), what's the next step you would like them to take. Should they just keep the current headset at a lower price, maybe around the $400 mark, or would you rather a revision? It's got some compelling features, but a lens refresh would do it some good. Maybe wireless support? Do they have a future in the VR market? Discuss your thoughts.
Maybe someone smarter than me could actually look into the financial losses that Sony have incurred with their failed VR endeavours.

One has to remember the VR mistakes were made pre-Ryan departing, since then Sony HQ have reined in the PS division and it's spending. There won't be another VR blunder not for a long time anyway.

Crayon

Make the fucking vr updates for the fucking games like they fucking said they would. With RE8 and GT7 out the gate it seemed like they were going to do more.

I haven't played got yet. Let me play it in vr you dumbasses. Find a port studio. Modders do this on pc all the time.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
as I said in another thread.

VR should JUST provide the next level in immersion for ANY game (especially AAA ones) you want to play....the IMAX of gaming.

make it a 200 USD "immersive headset" drop any fancy controllers and dedicated software.
I agree, even if it's a third person experience, I would love a 3d immersive version of many games, even at lower resolutions.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
The close to a million early adopters wouldn't be happy with that at all. It's possible that Sony would be ok taking the hit to their customers morale, considering the player base is relatively small.

I agree, even if it's a third person experience, I would love a 3d immersive version of many games, even at lower resolutions.
well, I think for this to work out it shouldn't be any kind of graphical downgrade. And I think the technology is there to achieve it.

Also a lot of people play games for escapism/ fulfill some kind of fantasy like being a Hogwarts student or shit like that. selling them the ultimate immersive experience could be something exciting and new. Cuz "graphics" have reached diminishing returns for marketing, cost/benefit.

ABnormal

If you speak about this generation, I would firstly want they to push for widespread conversion of flat screen games to VR, especially first party games. Hybrid games in the best case, or just a VR version for immersion any game, from the same camera and with the same controls, but in VR, in the simpler case.
On the hardware case, a lens refresh would be ideal to make it "perfect", but it would require the adoption of a higher luminosity OLED to be able to be used with pancake lenses. Not interested in wireless: playing only couch gaming, keeping in consideration the charge would be only a hassle to me.
Headset price has to be definitely kept lower, in order to make even with hardware but to gain from software.
They have a future in the VR market as anybody else, but it's a market that will remain a relative niche until some of the most important issues will be solved, and the most important of all could require an indefinite time.
For now it's already a blessing to be able to enjoy high-end VR on console, but everything will improve over time.

Three

Let it exist as is and continue to make the hardware. Third party release multiplatform games on it to maximize sales. Sell as many as you can, be price competitive, make tools so that development is as easy as possible, don't listen to the haters. Looking forward to Metro Awakening on it.

Last edited:

ABnormal

Classic loser stance. Also, stupid, considering the comparison with all the other headsets in the world.

And they are definitely on profit, albeit surely negligible. But that's all that is needed, even just to have one more thing to offer comparing to the competitors. For example, PSVR2 has been my primary reason to buy a PS5.

Fbh

Gold Member
It's unrealistic but I still think the way forward for VR should be to treat it more as a display than a console.
Imagine Sony, Meta, Valve and even MS (if they stay in the console business) working together to ensure their devices are cross compatible. Have a Quest 4? Use it standalone, on Pc , on Ps5/6 or Nextbox. Have a PSVR3? Use it on Ps5/6 but also PC and Nextbox from day 1. Same as any TV/Monitor .
Come up with some unified standards so that if MSI or LG or whatever want to enter a market they can make a device that's going to be compatible with Ps6, PCVR, Xbox, etc.

Of course I realize that coming up with some unified standards might be complicated and make advances stagnate, and there is the whole software angle too where Meta obviously wants you to buy games from them and not on PSN or Steam. But still, I think it might help make VR as a whole more popular and accessible which in turn would benefit most companies in the space.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Only way it works is if they made a stand-alone PlayStation VR. Drop the console and compete against Meta.

But maybe wait a few years…

Robb

Gold Member
Make it the main gimmick of the system, I.e. included with every purchase and required by all games on the platform, or drop it.

Selling a peripheral for about the same price as the actual system was always crazy.

I’d personally just prefer if they drop it and put that money elsewhere.

Create a support team that works with 3rd parties to help them QA games and how to take advantage of foveated rendering, etc. They're doing good with giving support to that team who is working on Flat to VR conversions. Basically create a support system where every third party feels compelled to bring their game to the headset.

I don't want Sony using whole studios to make games, outside of Team Asobi I don't really trust Sony. GT7 being the other exception of course.

The headsets were profitable Day 1. Every headset gets by on small budget games and each headset only has a handful of high budget games. Sony isn't an anomaly, it's like that across the board with VR unless you're on PCVR and have access to mods.

VR is cool, people shouldn't be wishing for it's demise. It's not hogging resources, it's a niche thing and a fantastic side-piece to flat gaming. I wish more people could experience it because if you're a gaming enthusiast, there's a VR game out there that you'll absolutely adore.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
The headsets were profitable Day 1. Every headset gets by on small budget games and each headset only has a handful of high budget games. Sony isn't an anomaly, it's like that across the board with VR unless you're on PCVR and have access to mods.

VR is cool, people shouldn't be wishing for it's demise. It's not hogging resources, it's a niche thing and a fantastic side-piece to flat gaming. I wish more people could experience it because if you're a gaming enthusiast, there's a VR game out there that you'll absolutely adore.
It really is magical. Experiences like virtual virtual reality, just can't be experienced with the same impact outside of VR. I do believe that the more these devs get away from trying to emulate traditional flat screen games, the better. We just need the tech to become more mainstream as social experiences is where VR really shines. Walkabout golf, Dungeons of Eternity, Eleven table tennis are great ways to hang out with friends.

yurinka

PSVR2 is getting a ton of support. Sony's next step would be to ensure it continues getting a lot of games during several years.

What they should increase is their 1st/2nd party game output since they didn't release anything this year. I'd acquire a team to make VR versions of popular 1st party games, whoever is the equivalent for VR adaptations of the PC ports (Nixxes) and the remakes (Bluepoint).

If/when possible, they should drop its price.

Then around late 2029 / early 2030, a couple years after PS5 release they should release a PSVR3. But this time standalone (or minimum wireless) and cheaper at launch, and doing somethng to make it full BC with PSVR 1&2.

Last edited:
It’s pretty hard to compete with a Meta that doesn’t mind losing billions every quarter to force VR on people.

If it’s possible for Sony to do VR versions of their existing games, that would attract people. But otherwise putting their AAA teams on VR projects does not make financial sense.

Seyken

Classic loser stance. Also, stupid, considering the comparison with all the other headsets in the world.

And they are definitely on profit, albeit surely negligible. But that's all that is needed, even just to have one more thing to offer comparing to the competitors. For example, PSVR2 has been my primary reason to buy a PS5.

Not a loser stance by any means, just a realistic one. PSVR2 is a pretty cool piece of tech, but the mainstream interest just isn't there. Do you see how many billions of dollars Meta is sending down the drain every quarter? Sony is not a company of that size to be able to do things like that.

And I don't think the headset is profitable. And even if it is, it's like you said, a very negligible profit. When you think about the R&D costs, plus marketing, plus having to create games for it that probably won't sell enough copies to break even because of the small userbase, it's a losing proposition. Aren't they doing a huge fire sale right now for the unsold PSVR2 units? That's going to burn a lot of their (unlikely) profit because that price is for sure below cost.

Sony has a history of not being able to focus on two things at the same time. The PSVita suffered for the same reason. It gutted me to see it at the time because it was a brilliant device, but it is what it is.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
They should have a team porting their PSVR1 games, I'd love to replay Resi7, Astrobot and Wipeout with upgraded graphics and they really need to make sure their 1st party studios offer a VR complimentary experience on their AAA games, it doesn't have to be a full-blown experience just give those of us that have supported the PSVR from the 1st gen a little option in the main menu to explore the levels in VR once weve completed that level, add in a model viewer etc, christ I'd love to explore Naughty Dogs levels in VR, can you imagine how cool it would be to walk about some of the levels of Uncharted & TLOU, sure it's a one and done but who cares, it's a bone ffs.

I'm hoping this price drop really does make this thing fly, those of you on the fence where the original price was too much really need to jump in, for £350 with the current library of games it's a fucking bargain in my book considering how utterly game changing NMS, GT7 & the Resi games are, put it this way it'll offer far more value than a PS Pro ever could, I've no plans to buy a Pro but if it meant a significant boost to the VR visuals then I'll bite

Three

Make games for other headsets.

Make your own hardware when you know you can support it properly.
Why exactly would they do that? That makes no sense. If they were making games why wouldn't they make it for their own headset instead of others?
All headsets rely on third party games. What support is Valve providing for Index? They made 1 game 4 years ago. Games on it are mostly third party just like PSVR2 or even Meta Quest. PSVR2 even has better official big game support outside of mods in RE8, RE4, CoTM, GT7 etc.

Why exactly would they do that? That makes no sense. If they were making games why wouldn't they make it for their own headset instead of others?
All headsets rely on third party games. What support is Valve providing for Index? They made 1 game 4 years ago. Games on it are mostly third party just like PSVR2 or even Meta Quest. PSVR2 even has better official big game support outside of mods in RE8, RE4, CoTM, GT7 etc.
It ruins their name. Thats all.

You release a expensive hardware, then support it like shit, not a good look.

Three

It ruins their name. Thats all.

You release a expensive hardware, then support it like shit, not a good look.
Is Valve's name ruined too then? PSVR2 is a headset with PS5/PC support in 2 weeks. It has good high-end tech and gets the games other headsets do, plus PS5 game support too. If they were making games why would they make it for other headsets? It's like saying Valve should make games for other headsets like PSVR because they've made even less for Index. GT7, CoTM might come to other platforms but I don't see why that invalidates their own hardware. They've supported their VR headset more than most outside of Meta.

Last edited:
Is Valve's name ruined too then? PSVR2 is a headset with PS5/PC support in 2 weeks. It has good high-end tech and gets the games other headsets do, plus PS5 game support too. If they were making games why would they make it for other headsets? It's like saying Valve should make games for other headsets like PSVR because they've made even less for Index. GT7, CoTM might come to other platforms but I don't see why that invalidates their own hardware. They've supported their VR headset more than most outside of Meta.
Less headsets the better.

If there is a single headset that can play all games worth playing, I will get that.

anthony2690

Whilst I have no interest in VR myself, I would hope they release a few more big titles for it, especially for those that dropped £550 in good faith more experiences like horizon:call of the mountain would come.

Make the fucking vr updates for the fucking games like they fucking said they would. With RE8 and GT7 out the gate it seemed like they were going to do more.

I haven't played got yet. Let me play it in vr you dumbasses. Find a port studio. Modders do this on pc all the time.
The modders have set up a studio called Flat2VR Studios and have thrown their support behind PSVR2. They are collaborating with AAA developers to do just this. Their first official VR ports are due to be revealed this month.

Last edited:
Top Bottom