• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you like Sony's next move to be in the VR space.

SkylineRKR

PSVR is obviously dead. The new Astro Bot not being VR should tell you more than enough.

Sony has been trying for almost 10 years now, with 2 headsets. And it got them pretty much nowhere, no matter how popular their consoles and how powerful their brand is. I reckon PSVR2 was their last one.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Schitts Creek Goodbye GIF by CBC

They clearly don't want to put the hard yards in to make it a success, so get the fuck out, and let somebody else do it.

whyman

Leave the VR space and issue an apology to all gamers for wasting money and time on in when they could have been making Vita 2 and fantastic games.

Despite buying it at full price I think they should just drop VR. Looking back it looks like they already did considering the lack of marketing of the hardware and no other of their big franchise games in VR development. The recent price cut just confirms it for me. It is a nice piece of hardware though which is good for GT7!

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
It’s pretty hard to compete with a Meta that doesn’t mind losing billions every quarter to force VR on people.

If it’s possible for Sony to do VR versions of their existing games, that would attract people. But otherwise putting their AAA teams on VR projects does not make financial sense.
I'll get to the meat of my comment regarding Meta's spending in the paragraphs below, but I don't know what it means when you say, "Meta is forcing VR on people."
Not a loser stance by any means, just a realistic one. PSVR2 is a pretty cool piece of tech, but the mainstream interest just isn't there. Do you see how many billions of dollars Meta is sending down the drain every quarter? Sony is not a company of that size to be able to do things like that.

And I don't think the headset is profitable. And even if it is, it's like you said, a very negligible profit. When you think about the R&D costs, plus marketing, plus having to create games for it that probably won't sell enough copies to break even because of the small userbase, it's a losing proposition. Aren't they doing a huge fire sale right now for the unsold PSVR2 units? That's going to burn a lot of their (unlikely) profit because that price is for sure below cost.

Sony has a history of not being able to focus on two things at the same time. The PSVita suffered for the same reason. It gutted me to see it at the time because it was a brilliant device, but it is what it is.
I would like to point out that it is a misnomer that Meta is "sending money down the drain," they are investing in what they believe is the future. Specifically, most of the money is developing a product that is not out yet, and won't be for awhile, AR glasses. When we think of future tech, this is what many people think of, VR and AR in a glasses frame. Not those "display" glasses, but real mixed reality like you find in VP or Q3.

If it will ever be a product, someone is going to have to figure out how to do it. Meta wants to be that company who ushers in the future. The Zuck is weird, but I commend him for his willingness to put it all out there to invoke a future he envisions. If he does pull it off, awesome. If he doesn't, sucks for him and his investors.

Last edited:

XXL

Make the fucking vr updates for the fucking games like they fucking said they would. With RE8 and GT7 out the gate it seemed like they were going to do more.

Find a port studio. Modders do this on pc all the time.
This.

What they have made in VR is some of the best VR games of all time and some of the best games of this generation in general.

Forth

Neophyte
Proper VR games that don't feel like indie projects, if you believe in the hardware then you believe in making it work.
How about using it to reignite older franchises such as a VR version of Parappa, Ape Escape, Sly Cooper, G-Police, Jumping Flash, etc.

Proper VR games that don't feel like indie projects, if you believe in the hardware then you believe in making it work.
How about using it to reignite older franchises such as a VR version of Parappa, Ape Escape, Sly Cooper, G-Police, Jumping Flash, etc.
Lol…. whew, Jumping Flash alone could be the greatest VR game ever. The possibilities, continue to dream on though..

Rudius

Leave the VR space and issue an apology to all gamers for wasting money and time on in when they could have been making Vita 2 and fantastic games.
Completely unnecessary now that you can get a windows handheld and play most Sony's games. A Vita 2 would just be a bit more convenient.

magnumpy

VR is a cursed unlucky market. the likes of Nintendo couldn't slay that dragon. get out and focuse on profitabe market segments 👍

A2una1

Just jumping on the bandwagon of all the recent discussions around the headset, brought about by its upcoming PC support and deep sale. Barring this is a firesale and Sony abandons the platform (I don't think they will), what's the next step you would like them to take. Should they just keep the current headset at a lower price, maybe around the $400 mark, or would you rather a revision? It's got some compelling features, but a lens refresh would do it some good. Maybe wireless support? Do they have a future in the VR market? Discuss your thoughts.
Until they start to actualy Support their Hardware with Software every new Hardware will also fail...

Metal Gear Solid VR. The original game with improved graphics but not necessarily current gen.

A lot of the boss fights would work really well.

Make it accessible for seated play.

Last edited:

Killer8

I think their future in the VR space needs to be centered on affordability. For as funny as the memes about not being able to afford PSVR2 were, it's clear from the surge in sales after the price cut that the bar to entry is too high. I'm not saying that it is bad value - for the hardware, $550 was not bad. But as an add-on for a console, it needs to be cheaper and not similarly priced to the console itself.

I don't think people care quite as much as we think about the cutting edge when it comes to VR (look at the success of the Quest). You'll still be able to bolster the power of the PS5 for the games, but corners could be cut in terms of the headset's hardware. I think by the time a PSVR3 is being thought about for PS6, costs will have come down even more for the tech we have now. Offering today's tech, tomorrow, but for cheaper would be good enough.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Make a killer app (game). Software sells hardware. Make sth that really utilities Virtual Vision.

nush

Drop their own VR hardware and make VR games that support other VR headsets. You need a PS5 to play the games, but you can use whatever VR headset you have. Like console makers don't care about the brand of TV they are connected to.

- Make a super impressive tech demo like Playstation VR Worlds to show off what the system can do

- Port Astro Bot and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

- Make some more cool first-party games to show they care and are invested in the platform (which obviously will never ever happen since they're not and they don't)

itshutton

Have Nixxes or another port studio port all of the PSVR games to PSVR2. Then court the games coming to Quest (Hitman, Batman) then make a couple of first party games VR.

Bernardougf

PSVR is obviously dead. The new Astro Bot not being VR should tell you more than enough.

Sony has been trying for almost 10 years now, with 2 headsets. And it got them pretty much nowhere, no matter how popular their consoles and how powerful their brand is. I reckon PSVR2 was their last one.
Well looking right now it was a bad idea from the start... how do you promote something this expensive, to a very niche market and have your studios stop and make games for very few people to enjoy?..... If this was to work it had to come heavily discounted with every playstation in bundles and have all your studios doing games for it.

Something like 500 ps5 ....750 ps5+vr2 ... and it might have worked if you had the games for it.

But in reality I cant see how they thought this expensive technology would get any type of mass appeal specially with so little support

Švejk

Banned
Add/Encourage more devs to update games to have (PS)VR support; 3rd and 1st person.

Still waiting on Ace Combat 7 to have the full campaign playable, Kingdom Come Deliverance and Cyberpunk, just to name a few. Pipe dreams, sure, but why is this not encouraged?? The install base is good and can't be that expensive to update... And no, fuck PC and it's capabilities and mods and such. Too expensive and a pain in the asshole to set up and configure.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I think their future in the VR space needs to be centered on affordability. For as funny as the memes about not being able to afford PSVR2 were, it's clear from the surge in sales after the price cut that the bar to entry is too high. I'm not saying that it is bad value - for the hardware, $550 was not bad. But as an add-on for a console, it needs to be cheaper and not similarly priced to the console itself.

I don't think people care quite as much as we think about the cutting edge when it comes to VR (look at the success of the Quest). You'll still be able to bolster the power of the PS5 for the games, but corners could be cut in terms of the headset's hardware. I think by the time a PSVR3 is being thought about for PS6, costs will have come down even more for the tech we have now. Offering today's tech, tomorrow, but for cheaper would be good enough.
I agree 100%. I shared a similar sentiment in another PSVR2 thread and I couldn't believe the pushback given by a few. It was as if I spat in their face, yet the evidence suggest this to be true.

Last edited:

kungfuian

A platform level plug in that makes all Flat games have VR modes; simple system level set of tools in their development platform. Make it as easy as supporting different frame rates and resolutions for devs.

Make substantial efforts to create VR first party games or VR game modes from the IPs we love.

Make it similar to Quest. Must be Stand alone and also with wireless support for PS5/6 and PC.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
make BIG glasses no headsets get waaaaay to hot in headset if you got fatso head
That's what Meta is sinking most of those billions invested into. The current VR market is a preamble to the possible MR revolution. Let's hope the market can sustain itself long enough for these core technologies to be developed. I don't know of any tech bro's besides the Zuck who is willing to invest the amount of money needed to bring these concepts to reality. Zuck has spend 20+ billion to get his platform to where it's at now, and has been warning investors that this amount of investments is not only needed, but will continue to grow. Meta fucked up with its handling if Facebook, but man I am rooting for them to pull this off, because I don't think any other company is going to pour this amount of money into a similar project.

Last edited:
Top Bottom