• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would your Last Meal be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a conversation with a friend the other day about a hypothetical situation in which you are on death row and the importance of your choice of a last meal. We approached the question with the idea that you need a nice balance between foods that hold a sentimental and nostalgic significance to you and foods that offer the most direct, intense, and satisfying taste experience. We cheated a little bit, likely giving ourselves more versatility and more food than a real prisoner might get, but we still felt the need to establish some restrictions, so here is what you get:

1. An Appetizer
2. A Side
3. An Entree
4. A Dessert
5. A Beverage

They can be consumed in any order you would like.

Maybe you guys will approach the issue differently than how we did, but here is mine.

1. The Appetizer - Toasted Ravioli with Marinara

Toasted_Ravioli-1.jpg

Toasted Ravioli is one of those St. Louis things. Ravioli, typically filled with ground beef, that are breaded and deep fried. They are delicious when dipped in Marinara sauce and dusted with Parmesan. This is one of my nostalgic choices. They taste like my childhood. Like Cardinals baseball. Like the woods behind my house that I explored with my friends. Like Super Nintendo vs Sega Genesis arguments. Elementary, Middle School, High School and College. It's family dinner before my parents got divorced.

2. The Side - Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

Chicken-noodle-soup1.jpg

This is a hard one and probably the one that will be abused the most since "side" is somewhat open to interpretation. Even the best fries seem like a bland choice. A salad would be a nice palate cleanser, but I couldn't justify a salad with my last meal, even a great one. Debated Onion Rings, but in the end I want a great bowl of soup. A nice, hearty, bowl of Chicken noodle with a great, full bodied broth, huge chunks of chicken, egg noodles, carrots, celery an onion. So good and some hints of nostalgia here as well.

3. The Entree - A Sandwich

IMG_0159.jpg

This was the hardest one for me and probably the one GAF will think I'm crazy for. I started off with a great medium rare steak. For immediate satiation there is nothing better. My love of seafood forced me to change this to a great medium rare Ahi Tuna steak, but in the end I gave this up to go with my favorite food, a simple, cold sandwich. The perfect sandwich is practically impossible to achieve. It is cuisine that is entirely dependent on every ingredient being excellent to create something greater than the sum of its parts. Something as seemingly minuscule as a shitty slice of tomato or unsatisfying, bland bread can ruin the whole thing. But when everything is on, it is the best food. I love nothing better than a great cold sandwich, some great Turkey Breast, thick sliced ham, medium cooked and freshly cut roast beef (can't have any of that shitty quality, old roast beef with that disgusting green sheen on it), thick sliced smoked gouda, crisp lettuce, a thick sliced, juicy tomato, and mayo. All of this served on the chewiest sourdough, with the crunchiest, denture-shattering crust. Served with a pickle spear, obviously. Couldn't find a great picture for this, probably because the perfect sandwich is so rare.

4. The Dessert - Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies

chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies.jpg

It was hard not to go ice cream on this one, but I don't think there is anything better than chocolate chip cookies right out of the oven. Still gooey in the middle, and the chips have to be melted still. Delicious, and reminds me of mother's baking.

5. The Beverage - A Samuel Adams Boston Lager

3ea-V5T7HkiXXHyMl1_Saki__4Tnp-uB7sQsXWCIUjnKoBhMKgz0zWvrcDSrGfA84CnpluYQy8AIHnYFJN_GLcBpXm_L_qnoKoSAc87m4WzCKjV-rR68.jpg

This was surprisingly the easiest decision for me. My buddy went with a pepsi from a can, which I get, but it's not for me. Beer-GAF knows how much I love my beer. My favorite beer was tempting, A Perennial Artisan Ales bourbon barrel aged Abraxas, an imperial stout brewed with cacao nibs, vanilla beans, cinnamon, and ancho chilli powder. Or a beautiful Cantillon sour would be amazing. In the end though I just want an awesome, well balance and full flavored beer. There are hundreds out there and I'm going with the first craft beer I ever had, a Sam Adams Boston Lager. It has a great hop profile and a wonderful malt backbone with the great crispness and refreshment of a lager. Gotta be served chilled, but not ice cold, in a pint glass with a great head on it. It brings back memories of all of my best friends and wonderful times that craft beer has brought my adult life. Flirting with women. Profane jokes and endless laughter. Urinals and calculating tips. Drunk fast food and old video games. It's perfect and a great cap for a great meal.

So GAF, What would be your final meal?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wouldn't live in a death penalty jurisdiction if I could avoid it at all

As many cheeseburgers and as much mint chocolate chip icecream as I could handle. Wouldn't pick any other courses, this is the ultimate gorging. I might even pass up the cheeseburgers and just go with the ice cream.

I think I figured this one out for myself when I first saw the King of the Hill ep about it.

An order of General Tsou's chicken with extra duck sauce, with broccoli and fried rice. No special meaning, just my favorite food.
One Mount olive Pickle. Reminds me of summers with my dad when I was little.
A can of Coca Cola, well chilled. Just my favorite soda. Doesn't drink well with spicy food, but I don't care.
And a slice of rhubarb pie for desert. Something my mother used to make when I was small, my grandma had a field of it.
And, if allowed, a cigar to smoke after. I quit smoking a little after highschool, but I always wanted to have one last cigar.

Hm.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
A big bowl of spaghetti and meatballs.

For all 5.

braves01

Banned
KFC famous bowl and a bloomin onion from chilis. Diet coke to wash it down. Chocolate volcano for dessert. And a siide of KFC coleslaw.

Chris R

Mozzarella sticks, nice cheeseburger with tots, chocolate cake for dessert and a nice beer for the beverage.

As many cheeseburgers and as much mint chocolate chip icecream as I could handle. Wouldn't pick any other courses, this is the ultimate gorging. I might even pass up the cheeseburgers and just go with the ice cream.

I assume some good ass cheeseburgers and not like Whiteys

I think I figured this one out for myself when I first saw the King of the Hill ep about it.

An order of General Tsou's chicken with extra duck sauce, with broccoli and fried rice. No special meaning, just my favorite food.
One Mount olive Pickle. Reminds me of summers with my dad when I was little.
A can of Coca Cola, well chilled. Just my favorite soda. Doesn't drink well with spicy food, but I don't care.
And a slice of rhubarb pie for desert. Something my mother used to make when I was small, my grandma had a field of it.
And, if allowed, a cigar to smoke after. I quit smoking a little after highschool, but I always wanted to have one last cigar.

Hm.

I think a cigar is fair game. General Tsaos is so immediately gratifying. Some of the best shit ever

Whatever will make me the most gassy.

You sadistic son of a bitch

TheExodu5

Banned
Not a great picture, but Chicken Divan:
Chicken_Divan-5.jpg

One of my favorite comfort meals.

It's chicken and broccoli in a cream of chicken with mayo, sherry, curry, with a cheese and breadcrumb topping, served over rice. Probably my favorite meal my mom would make for me as a kid.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I assume some good ass cheeseburgers and not like Whiteys

The greasiest low-end cardboard burgers with the most processed cheese I could possibly find. Ideally someone from McDonald's labs would bring me a prototype ten cent cheeseburger they're working on for some sort of impovrished market.

Darryl

Banned
I'd open up with some Biscuits & Gravy. Really associate this food with good days from my young childhood.

Follow it up with some Buffalo Wings. Extra blue cheese. I think this is probably my favorite meal. I have an obsession with spicy stuff. Would probably order it from Dick's.

Finish it off with a philly cheesesteak, because I've always regretted not having ate more of these. They're always too expensive, damn it.

f0nz0

grilled and well seasoned peel and eat shrimp

buffalo wings with ranch dip

pizza (1/2 pinnaplw and candian bacon, 1/2 combo)

a good lager beer
and a shot of sailor jerry

that's all I would need.

I was about to post but all my stuff is crappy fast food and diner stuff.

The greasiest low-end cardboard burgers with the most processed cheese I could possibly find. Ideally someone from McDonald's labs would bring me a prototype ten cent cheeseburger they're working on for some sort of impovrished market.

If only you guys knew how many shitty Mcdonald's and T Bell meals I have had

I can tell a lot of people posting in this thread just read the title.

1. Mozzarella sticks
2. Fries
3. Double cheese burger with lettuce, tomato, onion rings, BBQ sauce and pickles
4. Ice cream cake
5. Shocktop Beer

1. Bread dipped in melted cheese.
2. More bread.
3. Lasagna.
4. Egg nog.
5. My tears. Real answer, I don't drink but preferably something that'll knock me on my ass.

mackattk

Honestly? Cici's pizza. By the time I'm done death would put me out of my misery. I wouldn't want something that would make me want to keep living.

It's kind of like living a dull life your whole life then realizing how much you missed out on. I wouldn't want to live a death where I was inspired in my final moments.

CrazyDude

I see that you are planning your future homicides well.

Professor

Neo Member
Hmmm. I would go with some boneless buffalo wings for the appetizer. Then I would have a steak medium with shrimp on the side. Chocolate Chip Cookies for desert and a cold Pepsi to drink.

sphagnum

Banned
Stuffed grapeleaves
Burger King french fries
Cheese pizza from Palermo's (in my hometown)
Edy's Drumstick ice cream
Sprite

Pretty tough picking the entree. Everything else felt pretty obvious though.

Oh alternately I would get whatever the latest fast-food creation is that all of GAF swears will guarantee diarrhea, plus a liter of coffee, then I would unleash unholy liquid shit devastation immediately before they flip the switch/kick the chair/poke me with the needle. Have fun cleaning that up, assholes.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I would have as many Double Quarter Pounders and orders of McDonald's fries as the parameters of this exercise will allow. Both items fresh, and made well. None of that disappointing cold/stale bullshit you get a quarter of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom