• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats best for Game Pass, PC or XBOX?

MH3M3D

I got a PS5 and will be getting the Pro, but I cant make up my mind on what to use for Game Pass games. I just upgraded my PC setup to include a 50 inch 4K OLED, but now my 7800XT isnt cutting it anymore. Should I upgrade to a better GPU and play everything at high settings at 4K? Or should I get an XBOX series X to play on my 65 inch living room OLED TV?
Its a question of quality of the game vs the comfort of playing one on the couch lying down. Also upgrading to a 4K capable GPU costs like 2 Xbox's... I already cancelled 2 GPU orders and returned 1 Xbox. I just cant choose.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
xCloud

I personally like it on Xbox more than PC but both are good.

I don't really understand your question, I pretty much have the same setup as yours and the 7800 XT crushes my xsx completely in all areas; so you're ok with playing on a console with severely degraded visuals on an even bigger screen, then to just turn down a few settings but having a vastly superior image/fps?

rm082e

I got a PS5 and will be getting the Pro, but I cant make up my mind on what to use for Game Pass games. I just upgraded my PC setup to include a 50 inch 4K OLED, but now my 7800XT isnt cutting it anymore. Should I upgrade to a better GPU and play everything at high settings at 4K? Or should I get an XBOX series X to play on my 65 inch living room OLED TV?
Its a question of quality of the game vs the comfort of playing one on the couch lying down. Also upgrading to a 4K capable GPU costs like 2 Xbox's... I already cancelled 2 GPU orders and returned 1 Xbox. I just cant choose.

PC is going to outlast the current console. I would spend for a new GPU if you have the money to spend.

Antwix

Up to you to decide based on the place in your house you're most comfortable in. Your PC would be at higher performance as is and obviously cheaper cost since you already have a PC. The only negative I would say is that you'll be using MS/Xbox app on PC.

MH3M3D

I don't really understand your question, I pretty much have the same setup as yours and the 7800 XT crushes my xsx completely in all areas; so you're ok with playing on a console with severely degraded visuals on an even bigger screen, then to just turn down a few settings but having a vastly superior image/fps?
As I said, an Xbox you can hook up to a TV in the living room and relax a lot more while playing. My PC is in a room with only a chair, which I already sit on all day while working from home. I guess both options have their pros and cons, thats what makes it hard to choose.

RobRSG

Xbox - simply because it’s practical, you don’t need to deal with the Xbox app and its fuckery.

Rockman33

I have a powerful PC with a 4090 on a C2 42” oled and find myself playing on my series X on a 65” CX more often.

The comfort of the couch is real.

On a side note. Don’t listen to people saying how awful Gamepass is on PC. They are being extremely hyperbolic about the situation. Could it be better, yeah. But I’ve played many games on there and only problem I keep running into is the fact it won’t save where I want to download the game to. Keeps defaulting to main drive.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
A 7800XT (even playing in 4K on a 50-inch monitor) is going to look loads better than what the Series X can output.

If it's a matter of playing comfortably on the couch, why not buy a cheap little Android box that can load the Steam Link app and pair your PS5 controller, and just use that? You then have the power of choosing which room you want to game in, and you're always on the same machine.

This is the one I use (the $50 4K version):

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I just upgraded my PC setup to include a 50 inch 4K OLED, but now my 7800XT isnt cutting it anymore. Should I upgrade to a better GPU and play everything at high settings at 4K? Or should I get an XBOX series X to play on my 65 inch living room OLED TV?
I dont get it, if you think your 7800xt isnt cutting it anymore then you sure as hell arent going to be satisfied with series x.

MH3M3D

I have a powerful PC with a 4090 on a C2 42” oled and find myself playing on my series X on a 65” CX more often.

The comfort of the couch is real.

On a side note. Don’t listen to people saying how awful Gamepass is on PC. They are being extremely hyperbolic about the situation. Could it be better, yeah. But I’ve played many games on there and only problem I keep running into is the fact it won’t save where I want to download the game to. Keeps defaulting to main drive.
Yeah, I dont mind the xbox app. I dont buy anything anyway. Strictly game pass.

But would you play an RPG like Dragons Dogma or Assassins Creed on a PC or console. You either relax and play for hours with lower settings or you get the very best + back and leg pain after a while.

yurinka

I think that you have to choose between upgrading the GPU or get an Xbox, it's better to upgrade the GPU because you'll be able to use that extra horsepower in many other games available in PC that aren't available on Xbox, and also maybe use it on other things like image or video editing, AI generated stuff, etc., not only Gamepass.

Even if you don't buy games you may get some via Epic Store, Amazon Prime or random free weekends or ocassional humble bundle great deals or cases of insane Steam discounts.

Last edited:

MH3M3D

A 7800XT (even playing in 4K on a 50-inch monitor) is going to look loads better than what the Series X can output.

If it's a matter of playing comfortably on the couch, why not buy a cheap little Android box that can load the Steam Link app and pair your PS5 controller, and just use that? You then have the power of choosing which room you want to game in, and you're always on the same machine.

This is the one I use (the $50 4K version):
I tried an Apple TV 4k. The latency was horrible, even with wired connections.

SHA

Nothing, just because you have your money doesn't you have to burn it, I demand great games and it seems the only formula that works is playing older games, it's effective, it could end some studios future, but no one can prevent you from playing older games.

Last edited:

Rockman33

Yeah, I dont mind the xbox app. I dont buy anything anyway. Strictly game pass.

But would you play an RPG like Dragons Dogma or Assassins Creed on a PC or console. You either relax and play for hours with lower settings or you get the very best + back and leg pain after a while.
It’s a case by case. If I’m playing a pvp game that I’m taking seriously I’d do PC for the higher frame rates. Or if the game can’t hit 60 fps I’d play on PC, example Starfield before the 60fps patch. Started HB2 on PC but it was such a slow moving game I ended up playing mostly on console.

Assassins creed I’ve specifically played on console because it’s a more chill game and gets 60fps. At least the ones released so far have.

Edit: I will say having the saves work across PC and console is fantastic. Can jump from one to the other with ease.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
PC is more expensive but to an extent it makes up for it with a cheaper subscription price.
You also get access to a way bigger games library (not on gamepass, but just what is available on Steam and elsewhere), usually cheaper games, mods, emulators and more.

But it's really up to what you care more about. If the extra features and performance of PC is worth the extra money to you then go for it. If the easier "plug and play" nature of the Xbox is appeling to you and you don't mind the lower performance and higher monthly cost than it's also a valid option.

Hohenheim

I have Game Pass on my PC,and have not misses the Xbox console since I sold it a couple of years ago.
Very few games skip PC,and the versions are often quite a lot better on PC. (Starfield, Hellblade 2 etc)

I don't use the service very much though, as I very much prefer to buy and play my games on Steam.

Also, the app can be a pain, and earlier this year I had a strange experience where my save game in Harold Hallibut disappeard. Can't remember any issues like that on the Xbox console.
The app is slowly getting better though. And if you have a good PC I would definitly get Game Pass for that instead of buying the console.

A good GPU would also give you the option to play quite a few of Sony's games in all their glory, and definitly outperform the Pro.

Last edited:
My PC is in a room with only a chair, which I already sit on all day while working from home.
If you have the space, then just buy a two seater couch for the office, would still be cheaper than an xsx.
Or get one of those android thingies the other poster mentioned.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
PC, specially if you have no problem having it plugged to your TV.

Gives you the best of both of worlds.

Hrk69

Gold Member
PC is always the awnser

There are so many ways you can tackle the 'I want to game comfortably from a couch' issue

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Occasionally some games do skip the PC tier, plus you get access to anything 360/OG Xbox. If the PC port has hitches or loading issues the Xbox SSD might do a better job (though at lower settings), at least until more games use the newer storage engines. Not a bad option to have both.

Bridges

I personally prefer the Xbox but MS seems much more focused on making the PC sub more attractive these days.

Some releases don't go to PC, but PC gets a bunch of PC-specific stuff like strategy games and MOBA unlocks and whatnot. PC is also cheaper and doesn't require an additional sub for online.

I have Ultimate which costs more but gets you both + EA Play and Xcloud.

If the question is buying a GPU vs consoles, Xbox is definitely more cost effective and as someone in IT I prefer not to mess around with computers much when I'm off the clock if I can help it. I prefer the comfort of the couch but really that's all down to personal preference.

Havoc2049

PC, unless you have a ton of XB and X360 physical games that are backwards compatible.

Another thing to consider is Microsoft support for their Xbox apps and their store on PC always seems to have bouts of jank that you will have to deal with.

You have a pc, obviously a GPU upgrade makes sense.

As for GP, I have only used console version, its great. But thats a different matter.

Top Bottom