• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best type of setup for me for my budget? (PC gaming related)

Hi Gaf, thinking about changing my gaming setup around. I currently have a X1, Laptop and PS4. Laptop is on it's very last legs, so I need either a PC or laptop. Budget is around €900. Do I either:

Get a decent laptop, that has a good processor and decent gpu

OR

Save another 3-400, build a PC with a GTX 970, i5-6600 Skylake processor, get a small desk, 2 monitors and move my consoles over and make like a little gaming corner? I'm kinda stuck. Would a 900-1k gaming laptop suffice in 2016?

Jeremy

6PPGZ1y.jpg

rje

Desktop will hands down get you the best bang for the buck in terms of gaming. I bought a high end sager laptop earlier in the year (980m, core i7, etc) and it's already struggling with some recent games on high/ultra settings.

If you have to have a laptop, then you don't have a lot of choice. But if you can really choose between a desktop and a laptop, I think the desktop is a no brainer.

bigkrev

If you don't "need" a laptop anymore (ie, you are not a student or someone who has to work remotely), you should build a new PC. I work a 9-5 desk job, so an iPad can do all I would ever need a laptop for, so I built a PC when my laptop died and did not regret it.

Crayon

Get a laptop appropriate to the work loads you need to do. Then get a desktop appropriate for the gaming loads. Work and play are possible on one machine but there are benefits to separating them to different machines.

The most work I need to do on a laptop is done in a browser and a terminal and I just have a very light notebook for that. Anything for gaming is in a pc tower for various reasons. Not the least of which, I would feel free to experiment with it when there is a backup system around to use for important things.

I think it may save me money, too. As opposed to keeping up one computer than can do everything great.

Top Bottom