• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the deal with Steam and HL2?

maynerd

Banned
HEy all I couldn't find all of the questions I had about Steam and HL2 and hope someone here can answer them for me.

If I download the game from steam can I redownload the game as many times as I want? If my HD fails as an example can I redownload the game?

The game I get from steam, do I have the ablility to burn it to a cd?

Are there any monthly or yearly fees to play the game?

I guess that's all for now.

THanks

Maynerd

>If I download the game from steam can I redownload the game as many times as I want? If my HD fails as an example can I redownload the game?

Yup, as many times as you want

>The game I get from steam, do I have the ablility to burn it to a cd?

The .gcf files should fit on a DVD

>Are there any monthly or yearly fees to play the game?

Nope

Bregor

A game or package of games that you purchase through steam is yours forever. If you lose it some how, you can always re-download it. You can even install it on more than one PC if you wish, though it cannot be played on more than one at the same time (I imagine that they will object to abuses of this, of course.) You can burn a copy of your steamapps folder to a CD or DVD to back up the data so that you do not have to download it again. There is no subscription fee.

WARCOCK

Banned
Psychology 101 BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.vBUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY.BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY. BUY.

oBa

>>Cool thanks for the info! Is there any reason not buy it thru steam?<<

You obtain no physical copy of the game, hence you receive no box or manual.
You also do not save any money by buying it through Steam.

But all the money goes to the developer and not the publisher, in my opinion that is reason enough to buy it through Steam.

tenchir

oBa said:
>>Cool thanks for the info! Is there any reason not buy it thru steam?<<

You also do not save any money by buying it through Steam.

But all the money goes to the developer and not the publisher, in my opinion that is reason enough to buy it through Steam.

Only problem I have with this is what happens if the company goes under? I am not saying that Vavle will be gone soon, but it is a possibility. The reason I am going to physical copy is that I won't have to worry about not being able to play or download the game anymore because the company went bankrupt.

epmode

oBa said:
in this case, it's not so bad.. the retail version will also be missing a manual, according to doug lombardi (valve's pr guy.)

Phantom

tenchir said:
Only problem I have with this is what happens if the company goes under? I am not saying that Vavle will be gone soon, but it is a possibility. The reason I am going to physical copy is that I won't have to worry about not being able to play or download the game anymore because the company went bankrupt.

By the time that happens to valve HL2 will be shareware

neptunes

not to mention, the retail version will make you install steam as well.

IIRC it still requires you to connect to the net after purchase to play single player (one time validation I think)

neptunes said:
not to mention, the retail version will make you install steam as well.

IIRC it still requires you to connect to the net after purchase to play single player (one time validation I think)

Seriously?

Fuck, I'll just get the steam version then...

Bregor

Yup, validation through Steam is necessary even with the retail version. So if Valve went bankrupt (highly improbable), you would be screwed either way.

Bregor

Littleberu said:
You do not need internet in order to play Half Life 2.

You DO need to be connected to the internet at least once in order to validate your copy of HL2, otherwise it will not work. This has been confirmed by Valve.

Bregor said:
You DO need to be connected to the internet at least once in order to validate your copy of HL2, otherwise it will not work. This has been confirmed by Valve.

Oh you're right. I just read that too. It's recent IIRC.

Top Bottom