• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The time is now for Valve to re-enter the console market

Not a good idea business wise. Modern console hardware business is expensive, competitive and low margin. With the steam deck they cornered a market which had loads of untapped demand but left barren by exiting players. Whole different story for full-fat console market.

Hohenheim

A new Steam Deck with improved specs at some point is all I want.
If that includes a switch-style docking station, that's cool.
But I'm very happy with my dock setup, and would be very fine if it doesn't include anything like that.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Can’t you just install Windows on the Steam Deck you have?

IMO. They should support it from day one without need for user to do stuff like this themselves. For me my steam deck is 50% usable and probably will get sold and I will move to something like rog ally x

Dr.D00p

For me my steam deck is 50% usable and probably will get sold and I will move to something like rog ally x

Ally X with a dual boot Windows/Linux Bazzite (basically Steam OS) is about as good as it gets.

..Assuming you can live without the OLED screen.

The Xbox is the ultimate steam PC in fairness.

All Steam need to do is join up with Microsoft, allow Steam to be on a new Xbox console, ensure games run on it and jobs done.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
So basically it was a overpriced prebuilt with a logo on it and steamOS.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Davernos

Yes, please. Just make a little certified 60fps/1440p, 120fps/1080p PC device, with al the Valve flavor, and an attractive price. Games with verified status, and a "Steam Machine 2024" preset for its settings (like Cyberpunk 2077 with the Deck settings, more devs are noticing this as a good idea).

Fuck Windows, fuck Jensen.

Topher

Gold Member
IMO. They should support it from day one without need for user to do stuff like this themselves. For me my steam deck is 50% usable and probably will get sold and I will move to something like rog ally x

Nah.....it is good that the market has an alternative to Windows and there are plenty of Windows options out there.

So you basically just want them to make a faster Steam Deck? If that counts as a console (even though it's literally just a PC), wouldn't that mean they already re-entered the console market years ago?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I certainly think they should be looking at a PC form factor that is suited to going under the couch, with upgradeable parts. Not sure they necessarily need to market that as a 'console'.

JCK75

I agree and I want one
First go around SteamOS was not ready for mass use, it was still just a linux distro and limited to games that supported linux which was a very small number.
That cheap chipset in my steamdeck plays games to my satisfaction on the go at what I consider a very low price point, higher end chipset not constrained by a battery
could deliver much better performance and I'd be all for it.
there is no reason you can't have a console that outperforms a Series S by a lot in the same price range... and have it be easily upgraded to a better GPU etc.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I would be surprised if Valve has not kicked around the idea of a Steam Console considering how successful the Deck has been.

Don't do the dock thing though, that is stupid and overly complicated. Just make a nice machine that can play games well. They have access to all the user hardware data and could make the right target.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They already have... what do you think a steam deck is?

You people astound me sometimes ..

" steam machines are horrible ! lol "
" valve should make a console"
" the steam deck is awesome"

Do you people hear yourselves? all those are literally the same thing! 😵‍💫

Last edited:
Sticking with the Steam Deck and letting the PC gaming community do their own thing is the right move for Valve. They don't want to become a slave to additional hardware configurations, they are in a great spot. Continue supporting the Steam Deck and launch a new one in a couple years with upgraded hardware, that's the play.

Top Bottom