• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

fatty

Well, I'm in the final week before our weigh-in on our Biggest Loser Challenge that started on New Year's Day. I switched workouts 2/3 into the challenge to P90X and I'm now on week 4 for my recovery week. But I'm trying to throw in some extra cardio since this is basically my 'last chance workout' week so today during lunch I walked/jogged about 3.5 miles at a nice and slow 10 1/2 minutes per mile pace. Tonight is my first shot at the Core Synergistics so we'll see how that goes.

It's been really great that I've been able to do this with my father who is 50 years old and see the improvements that we've been able to have. Good news is that even after this weigh-in he still wants to continue on with the P90X. It helps me out because it gives me more motivation to keep going on the days I don't feel like it.

I remember when I first tried Ab Ripper and was maybe only able to do 1/3 of the exercises, now I'm able to complete about 80-90%. When I first started I was only able to do about 10 of the first in-and-outs before needing to stop. Now I can do those along with both becycles before my legs crap out on me and I need a break. Form is still not the greatest but it is improving. So for those of you starting, keep with it! It will get better. I can finally do 40 of the Mason Twists (still not the bonus ones) without stopping, so if I can improve I know you guys can because I still have some good sized love handles I'm trying hard to lose.

JTS, just remember to modify your workout to what you can do. As someone else mentioned I would start off doing the push-ups on your knees. If you're not able to use a chair for assisted pull-ups just use a resistance band on the door. Don't forget to lean forward and angle your upper body toward the door to form a straight line with the angle of the bands. Use a chair for the balance-type exercises at first when needed.

Just adjust to whatever works for you as long as you're not "dogging it". My dad and I started off using the pull-up bar with a chair but he now uses the bands and I just use the lat-pulldown bar with 130lbs on my workbench because that is what works for us.

In order of difficulty from hardest to easiest, I would say for me it would be:

Ab Ripper - Chest & Back - Plyo - Legs & Back - Yoga - Shoulders & Arms - Kenpo

jts

...hate me...
VelvetMouth said:
Do push ups againts a wall. Feet back, your hands on the wall pushing your upper body away from the wall. You can do all the push up variations that way. In a week or two you'll be able to do them normally from the floor. For pull ups, start with resistance bands.
That is absolutely ACE.

Thank you very much.

LCfiner

So I was pretty happy today since I went out to buy new jeans and I was able to move down another size. plus I finally got a new belt.

I haven’t posted pics here cuz, well, I ain’t no omnigamer :lol but I thought I’d toss up this image of my old belt. you can see the creases as I’ve used new holes for a couple months at a time. The last 5 holes have all been punched in by myself as I’ve lost the inches the past 8 months.

IMG_0068.jpg

Finally fitting into a 40 waist. that hasn’t happened since I started university 12 years ago. I’m around the halfway point of where I want to be.

LCfiner said:
So I was pretty happy today since I went out to buy new jeans and I was able to move down another size. plus I finally got a new belt.

I haven’t posted pics here cuz, well, I ain’t no omnigamer :lol but I thought I’d toss up this image of my old belt. you can see the creases as I’ve used new holes for a couple months at a time. The last 5 holes have all been punched in by myself as I’ve lost the inches the past 8 months.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x200/lc_finer/IMG_0068.jpg[IMG]

Finally fitting into a 40 waist. that hasn’t happened since I started university 12 years ago. I’m around the halfway point of where I want to be.[/QUOTE]

Wow

Thats pretty good. Good job man.

LCfiner

thanks guys.

Just did legs/back and I’m in pain.

that one always kills me since the legs routines are so long. instead of the typical 30 to 45 second sets, they’re 2 or 2.5 minutes. uuugggggghhhhhhh.

legs/back and chest/shoulders/triceps have got to be the toughest workouts for me.

xBigDanx

Why do I feel so sick after the weight training workouts? I can do the cardio and I'm very tired... but doing the weight ones, it makes me feel so sick to my stomach for 3-4 hours after.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
xBigDanx said:
Why do I feel so sick after the weight training workouts? I can do the cardio and I'm very tired... but doing the weight ones, it makes me feel so sick to my stomach for 3-4 hours after.

I get this sometimes as well. Legs are the worst if you really make it burn for prolonged periods.

3-4 hours after though? You might be actually dying of something. Do you eat after? Recovery drink/chocolate milk?

Is it worth redoing a recovery week? Life kicked my ass the last few days so I was only able to do one core, 2 yoga, and 1 kenpo x work out. I didn't do one x stretch and another core workout. Should I just move on to the next phase?

ocadman

LCfiner said:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x200/lc_finer/IMG_0068.jpg

Finally fitting into a 40 waist. that hasn’t happened since I started university 12 years ago. I’m around the halfway point of where I want to be.

Holy shit man, that's awesome. Worked a 12 hour day and am dead tired, but your pic motivated me to do the workout now. Plyo, here I come.

obijkenobi said:
Is it worth redoing a recovery week? Life kicked my ass the last few days so I was only able to do one core, 2 yoga, and 1 kenpo x work out. I didn't do one x stretch and another core workout. Should I just move on to the next phase?

Nah, just move onto the next phase. The stretch isn't that big of a deal, and you just missed one Core workout. I wouldn't worry about it.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
Burger said:
I just did Yoga X. Can't decide weather I hate it or love it. I am getting much more flexible though, and I suspect Yoga X has something to do with that.

I do love:

Tony: "...it's not a competition, it's doing your best and what you guys?"

"...."

Tony: "...forget the rest..."
:lol
fixed :D

Burger

f-castrillo said:

What do you mean fixed ?!?! He TOTALLY says:

"...do your best.... you guys"

Turn your volume up!

*edit*

OH wait I see what I did there. Fixed indeed. But he does say the 'you guys' at the end, which is what makes it hilarious.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
It's the only time in all of the workouts where nobody finishes that sentence for him, if I remember right. I actually lol a little bit when I hear it on the video :lol

Burger

I did Legs & Back today, and coming off that into Ab Ripper X... Man Tony seems like he's in a total grump in Ab Ripper X, he's mad, he's frowning, he's riding that guy in the back, clicking his fingers in his face and shit.

It's a sea change from some of the other videos where he's cracking jokes and shit.

xBigDanx

Burger said:
I did Legs & Back today, and coming off that into Ab Ripper X... Man Tony seems like he's in a total grump in Ab Ripper X, he's mad, he's frowning, he's riding that guy in the back, clicking his fingers in his face and shit.

It's a sea change from some of the other videos where he's cracking jokes and shit.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. seems to be in quite the bad mood.

Burger said:

Meh, he's being more of a personal trainer, and pushing Jason, who really doesn't seem like he's in the "X" shape that the other kids are in. I would want that if I was a softee, too (I am). I think he's just trying to show how you have to fight when you're at the edge; you can't take it easy.

You could be right because it's weird that he ignores Adam for most of the video. He usually applauds high performance, but he only points out Adam once.

bionic77

After two weeks I have lost 7 pounds, which is insane because weight-loss wise I am almost halfway to my goal. Are these results within what is acceptable or am I losing too much weight too quickly?

I have always been a thin guy and I have developed a minor gut and some fat on my thighs and ass over the last 18 months so I thought I would try P90X to burn it off, build back some muscle, and get into a better overall shape. I was actually hoping to just lose 2 pounds a week, but I have been closer to 4 for the first two weeks. Is this typical? Will the weight loss slow down as I continue on the program? Should I be eating more, less?

OmniGamer

LCfiner said:

IMG_0068.jpg

Congrats man! My waist is my worst area so I see the least amount of change there...still though, i'm also looking forward to getting some new clothes soon (shopping is a bitch because of my height/inseam)

ocadman said:
Holy shit man, that's awesome. Worked a 12 hour day and am dead tired, but your pic motivated me to do the workout now. Plyo, here I come.

My hat's off to you...Plyo is a challenge for me even on my best, most well-rested days...i can't imagine taking it on after a 12hr shift of any kind.

This seems interesting but I have a few questions.

1. How long do the exercises take to complete?
2. How much room is needed?
3. What is the official site where I can buy the dvds etc.?
4. Does it come with the equipment or do I have to get that separately?
5. Is this something you would recommend for someone who works full time at an already physically tiring job?

grumble

SuperSonic1305 said:
This seems interesting but I have a few questions.

1. How long do the exercises take to complete?
2. How much room is needed?
4. Does it come with the equipment or do I have to get that separately?
5. Is this something you would recommend for someone who works full time at an already physically tiring job?

1. 60-90 minutes 6-7 times/week
2. A moderate-to-small sized room should be fine.
3. www.beachbody.com
4. Separately. You'll need a chinup bar (doorframe, cheap) and dumbbell sets (kind of expensive but better) or resistance bands (cheaper and not quite as good).
5. It's a hard workout. If you can handle it, great, but it's tough. Depends on what you think you can handle. I think you should be fine; if your job is more active, then you should be in better shape to handle the workouts.

thorin

SuperSonic1305 said:
Someone already posted a link but it's also pretty easy to find in stores. Your profile says you're in Toronto and I know Canadian Tire sells it. I got my dvds at a place called Fitness Source at Yongue & Richmond for $129+tax.

Burger

SuperSonic1305 said:

This was a question I had before I started. My job isn't physically tiring, but it was tiring enough that I used to crash out sometimes straight after coming home from work for an hour.

Now instead of that I work the fuck out, and at the end of it I find I have more energy, and I'm sleeping better too.

bionic77

Tater Tot said:
I finished ab ripper x without stopping. yay
I hate Ab Ripper, but I also love it.

I probably do about 70% of the moves, though there must be something physically wrong with my body because I can't seem to keep my leg at a 90 degree angle for the one workout.

I love the tough pace they set through this and many other exercises. Makes it a lot more challenging and I love the way I feel only 2 weeks in. I am kind of regretting the week off in week 4.

OmniGamer

bionic77 said:
I hate Ab Ripper, but I also love it.

I probably do about 70% of the moves, though there must be something physically wrong with my body because I can't seem to keep my leg at a 90 degree angle for the one workout.

I love the tough pace they set through this and many other exercises. Makes it a lot more challenging and I love the way I feel only 2 weeks in. I am kind of regretting the week off in week 4.

lol, trust me, Core Synergistics is no cakewalk

bionic77 said:
After two weeks I have lost 7 pounds, which is insane because weight-loss wise I am almost halfway to my goal. Are these results within what is acceptable or am I losing too much weight too quickly?

I have always been a thin guy and I have developed a minor gut and some fat on my thighs and ass over the last 18 months so I thought I would try P90X to burn it off, build back some muscle, and get into a better overall shape. I was actually hoping to just lose 2 pounds a week, but I have been closer to 4 for the first two weeks. Is this typical? Will the weight loss slow down as I continue on the program? Should I be eating more, less?

It's totally normal to lose up to 10 lbs in the first week. It's mostly water weight though. After the first week, aim to lose 1-2 lbs a week. If you are losing more than that, you run the risk of losing muscle, which in turn will slow down your metabolism and actually make it easier to gain weight. If you find that you are losing more than 2 lbs a week, you will need to increase you calories. Keep adjusting your calories until you are consistently losing 1-2 lbs a week.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I'm currently in Week 12 of Phase 3 but I seem to have hit a wall. Started P90 at 280lbs. Was 244lbs on Monday.

About two weeks ago I decided to add a bit more protein to my diet and everything was going fine. On Sunday I was doing Back/Biceps and I noticed I was getting tired waay earlier then I have before. Weight was the same but instead of barley finishing on 15 reps like normal I would be dying by rep 10...take a mini break, and try to power through to 15.

On Monday friends got together for dinner. Between the 6 of us we split an order of onion rings. I had a beef brisket sandwich, nothing too crazy, not dripping in sauce, but BBQ beef brisket on a 10" long piece of bread. I drank water, had a piece of cornbread and ate half the sandwich. Didn't workout because I got home late.

On Tuesday friends got together and went to the batting cages. Afterward went to Buffalo Wild Wings where I had their Naked Tenders, salad with fat free Italian, and water. Didn't work our because I got home late.

Woke up this morning, and found myself +4 lbs from where I was on Monday morning. Kinda annoyed. Besides those two dinners everything else was my normal diet. Got home from work and decided to do Kenpo instead of Yoga. Started Kenpo and right at the start of the Twist and Pivots I was already feeling totally gassed. Sleep was pretty normal the past few days, about 7-8 hours. Don't feel sick.

Any ideas why I'm feeling exhausted so early?

grumble

Killdozer said:
I'm currently in Week 12 of Phase 3 but I seem to have hit a wall. Started P90 at 280lbs. Was 244lbs on Monday.

About two weeks ago I decided to add a bit more protein to my diet and everything was going fine. On Sunday I was doing Back/Biceps and I noticed I was getting tired waay earlier then I have before. Weight was the same but instead of barley finishing on 15 reps like normal I would be dying by rep 10...take a mini break, and try to power through to 15.

On Monday friends got together for dinner. Between the 6 of us we split an order of onion rings. I had a beef brisket sandwich, nothing too crazy, not dripping in sauce, but BBQ beef brisket on a 10" long piece of bread. I drank water, had a piece of cornbread and ate half the sandwich. Didn't workout because I got home late.

On Tuesday friends got together and went to the batting cages. Afterward went to Buffalo Wild Wings where I had their Naked Tenders, salad with fat free Italian, and water. Didn't work our because I got home late.

Woke up this morning, and found myself +4 lbs from where I was on Monday morning. Kinda annoyed. Besides those two dinners everything else was my normal diet. Got home from work and decided to do Kenpo instead of Yoga. Started Kenpo and right at the start of the Twist and Pivots I was already feeling totally gassed. Sleep was pretty normal the past few days, about 7-8 hours. Don't feel sick.

There are a few possibilities.

The weight jump might just be from water retention, or just from daily fluctuations. Sometimes it goes up or down a bit. If your diet had high sodium content for example over those few days, your body might have held on to a little extra fluid. You might also have needed to take a dump. Who knows, unless you see a trend don't sweat it.

As for you feeling gassed, it can depend a lot on your situation. Not sleeping enough, eating at the wrong times for you, stressful days at work or you're just bonking on the workouts due to built-up exhaustion or nutrient depletion. A trick some people use is to take a small dose of carbs before your workout. A tiny glass of OJ or a few raisins would do. See if that helps. Also CHECK HYDRATION! If you aren't drinking enough water throughout the day and during your workout, it can catch up to you. Your body may be getting more sensitive to this over time, so make sure to get your 1/2 gallon+ in every day. There's the possibility that you are also working out harder as you gain some fitness out of the gate, to the point where you run out of gas endurance-wise. You can do the same number of reps and have it be harder or easier depending on your speed, form, etc.

So to sum up:
-Don't sweat a one-time weight fluctuation (could be sodium, a dump, or just whatever)
-Check sleep
-Check eating schedule re: energy levels (also check volume, your weight loss is really fast)
-Check recent work stress or activity demands
-Consider small carb intake pre-workout to see if it helps and everything else is fine
-Drink plenty of water!
-Monitor the gas during workouts

Oh, and good job on the weight loss. That's actually really fast loss.

Burger

Killdozer said:

Here is a tip. Don't look at the scales. It's just a number, and if not looking at that number is going to take away that de-motivation, then that's a good thing. Just stick to your diet and hit it every day, and every day try to push yourself harder than you did yesterday.

You will forget about that number soon enough, and the only measure of your success will be how you feel, and the compliments you get from other people.

As far as feeling exhausted goes, try eating something small half an hour to an hour before your workout. I found that having a banana 30 minutes before Kenpo X allowed me to do 3 times the workout I normally did.

Killdozer said:

If you're getting tired during your set, try eating some carbs an hour before your workout. If you have a recovery drink(dextrose/maltose based, not the choco milk stuff), drink that during the workout, or drink a glass of milk 30 minutes before your workout. Your energy reserve is probably getting depleted if you've stepped up your workout.

TransTrender

Gold Member
The fluid retention from sodium makes a bit of sense. I'm sure the BBQ beef was full of it and I checked the nutrition facts on the Naked Tenders and WOW they had a lot of sodium.

I'll double check my fluid intake during the day to make sure I'm getting enough and I'll also try eating a bit of carbs before working out and see if that helps.

Good advice on the scale thing. I didn't notice any visual clues of weight gain, I still feel good and look a lot better so I shouldn't sweat it.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

fatty

Tater Tot said:
I finished ab ripper x without stopping. yay

Congrats, man! That is the goal that I am aiming for by the time I finish the end of Phase 3.

OmniGamer said:

Yeah, I'm currently on Phase 1 Recovery Week and I was thinking this won't be too bad and then I try Core Synergistics.

That exercise where you are in a plank and running forward and then you switch down to the Chatachimichunga and start doing it...oh crap. There was no way I could keep at that, couldn't even complete it all the way through in plank position.

ocadman

OmniGamer said:

It really isn't. I think I actually prefer doing plyo over it. I think it's my least favorite video other than doing any sort of pull-ups. And WTF, I thought I was improving on the pull-ups then Corn Cobs and Towel Pull-ups came along. I couldn't even do one unassisted by the time I got to them.

fatty said:
Yeah, I'm currently on Phase 1 Recovery Week and I was thinking this won't be too bad and then I try Core Synergistics.

:lol I was totally the same way and Core Synergistics kicked my ass.

fatty

ocadman said:
It really isn't. I think I actually prefer doing plyo over it. I think it's my least favorite video other than doing any sort of pull-ups. And WTF, I thought I was improving on the pull-ups then Corn Cobs and Towel Pull-ups came along. I couldn't even do one unassisted by the time I got to them.

:lol I was totally the same way and Core Synergistics kicked my ass.

Yeah, I was able to keep up with Plyo all the way, even on my first try though it is always tough. But Core Synergistics, holy cow. It was insane.

And now I see that I get to look forward to Corn Cobs (I'm guessing that is the pull-up that goes side to side at the peak) and Towel Pull-ups...gee that's great. :lol

That reminds me, for this next phase (2) I have a dilemma. Right now I'm at 205lbs. I can probably do about 5 reverse grip pull-ups and maybe 2 full overhand pull-ups. Because of that I've been using 130lbs on my lat pull-down machine to compensate. Should I start doing this next phase assisted with a chair or keep using the machine? I guess I need to preview some of these pull-ups before even starting because I'm not even sure what a Towel Pull-ups is exactly and how I would be able to translate it to the machine. And also how the modified form with the resistance bands would work for my father.

I will say this though, it was awesome to go out at lunch today and buy size 34 jeans and a size medium shirt. Haven't worn this size since high school, which was 15 years ago.

"Ab Ripper. I hate it...but I love it!"

"Claw, Hammer! Claw, Hammer!"

Balboa

This is what I looked like after finishing P90x the first time, I was overweight so my main achievement was fat loss, and getting an upper body that is wider than my waist for the first time, still wearing my big shorts though too comfortable to give up.

104q6xk.jpg

I know it doesn't mean much without a before picture but I guess for those who are doing it now this might be what you can realistically expect by the end, I did 5 weeks for phase 1 and 2 then 4 weeks for phase 3.

nomster

fatty said:
That reminds me, for this next phase (2) I have a dilemma. Right now I'm at 205lbs. I can probably do about 5 reverse grip pull-ups and maybe 2 full overhand pull-ups. Because of that I've been using 130lbs on my lat pull-down machine to compensate. Should I start doing this next phase assisted with a chair or keep using the machine? I guess I need to preview some of these pull-ups before even starting because I'm not even sure what a Towel Pull-ups is exactly and how I would be able to translate it to the machine. And also how the modified form with the resistance bands would work for my father.

Thats's about how many unassisted I can do as well, I just do as many unassisted as I can then I start using the chair. The chair works well for me, you can really vary how much support you give yourself based on how far away you put it. You just have to focus on using your back and arms to perform the pullup, otherwise it's easy to start cheating with a leg.

OmniGamer

Balboa said:
This is what I looked like after finishing P90x the first time, I was overweight so my main achievement was fat loss, and getting an upper body that is wider than my waist for the first time, still wearing my big shorts though too comfortable to give up.

104q6xk.jpg

I know it doesn't mean much without a before picture but I guess for those who are doing it now this might be what you can realistically expect by the end, I did 5 weeks for phase 1 and 2 then 4 weeks for phase 3.
Nice man, congrats! Do you know your "before" stats at least?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thinking of jumping in. I wish someone would do an extensive OP, I'm crawling on page 11 now to figure the best tips for gear.

First question - I'm seeing lots of P90X 13 DVD sets claiming to be original at Amazon.co.uk for £19.95. What's the deal? I thought this was expensive.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
Does anybody take the P90X Peak Health formula? It's not the recovery drink, it's that multi-vitamin sounding supplement. Does the supplement do anything for any of you, and are there any good recommendations for a substitute for it?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Another question in addition to the one above.

Does P90X require lots of jumping? I live in an apartment building and I believe making lots of noise might be bit of a dealbreaker.

Chittagong said:
Thinking of jumping in. I wish someone would do an extensive OP, I'm crawling on page 11 now to figure the best tips for gear.

First question - I'm seeing lots of P90X 13 DVD sets claiming to be original at Amazon.co.uk for £19.95. What's the deal? I thought this was expensive.
Could be bootlegs, but the program is just videos and some manuals.

The Plyometrics routine is pretty much all jumping, so you may need to modify the moves or substitute that day of cardio

Chittagong said:
Another question in addition to the one above.

Does P90X require lots of jumping? I live in an apartment building and I believe making lots of noise might be bit of a dealbreaker.
You won't go around stomping. I've always been quite light on my feet when doing it.

As for the DVDs I got mine from amazon.co.uk for cheap but they don't include the workout and nutritional guides (you can get those for free elsewhere).

O.DOGG

I finished my last P90X workout today. Very pleased with myself for sticking with it. I definitely recommend it to anyone who might be considering it.
I may post a before/after shot tomorrow.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Balboa said:

104q6xk.jpg

Congrats son, major accomplishment I bet for you man. Keep at it dude.

ocadman

koam said:
Guys, i'm confused, I have these six bumps slowly growing out of where my stomach used to be! :D

Better get that checked out man. Seriously though, keep it up!

Balboa said:

http://i44.tinypic.com/104q6xk.jpg

G'job on the results. Did you find yourself seeing the most results in the latter half of phase 2 and phase 3 like I read a couple other posters here said? Also, where you following the P90X diet or your own?

f-castrillo said:
My gut is still there. If I flex, I can eek out a 4 back and my frontside looks pretty good when I do, but I want to get to the point where I don't have to flex or suck up in order to make that "spare tire" around my waist disappear.
This frustrates me so much. I unconsciuosly suck in my stomach most of the day. Good posture perhaps. But when I let it go, holy crap what a difference. Had a 6 pack unitl I was about 30 then my metabolism slowed down and I can't seem to get it back unless I go on a life time fitness health streak.
I've always worked out 3 times a week and have introduced cardio in the last couple of years but I have the feeling I'm getting too old to get rid of my gut. =(

Top Bottom