• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

jett

D-Member
A couple of questions for you guys:

Will this p90x stuff work on someone who does absolutely no exercise at all or it just too extreme? :p

An what kind of investment in terms of dumbbells and stuff are we looking at here?

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
jett said:

Will this p90x stuff work on someone who does absolutely no exercise at all or it just too extreme? :p

An what kind of investment in terms of dumbbells and stuff are we looking at here?

Yes, it will work. Many people who start P90x cannot do a single pullup, by the end they can do over 10. Any kind of workout program will work especially if you follow the diet 100%.

For the equipment It will probably get you just over 100dollars. Probably less if you buy the dumbbells on craigslist. (I don't use the bands)

For the supplements you will probably only spend around 50-60 if you don't buy the p90x brand and use chocolate milk as you recovery.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Just completed day 1. Couldn't lift my arms earlier to grab something out of the cabinet. :lol

Feels good though, I can only do a measly 5 pull-ups, I hope to triple that by the end.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
jett said:

Yes, but you need to scale it. So it may be P360x for you.

If you have weak legs, you don't want to try to keep up with the video with Plyo, and the legs workout. You'll just injure yourself.

I bought probably nearly $250 worth of dumbbells. Individual pairs from 5 lbs to 35lbs. There are exercises that are hard starting out with 5 (scare crow, weighted arm circles), and others that you will within 2 months get to 35 (lawn mowers). It's easier to have individual weights so you can quickly change between sets/moves.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
teh_pwn said:
Yes, but you need to scale it. So it may be P360x for you.

If you have weak legs, you don't want to try to keep up with the video with Plyo, and the legs workout. You'll just injure yourself.

I bought probably nearly $250 worth of dumbbells. Individual pairs from 5 lbs to 35lbs. There are exercises that are hard starting out with 5 (scare crow, weighted arm circles), and others that you will within 2 months get to 35 (lawn mowers). It's easier to have individual weights so you can quickly change between sets/moves.

^This

I use some adjustable dumbells that I only vary between 5kilo and 10 kilo at the moment. I think I'll buy the same exact set again with a few extra weights there to cut down on the 'pause vid, ajust weight' thing which is flat out annoying.

I'd say get dumbbells at the start. I found the bands flat out irritating and starting swearing and throwing them around the room nearly because I could never quite stand on them correctly to get the same resistance on each arm etc.

I need to figure out how to use a chair correctly with pullups. They're still too difficult to do more than a couple unassisted at the start of teh workout so I use a chair, but I'm not sore today (did them yesterday) which tells me I did it with too much assistance from the chair.

Still find it friggin difficult to get my chin above the bar though. Can usually get 8 chair assisted of each type.

I had become pretty lazy, biking and running in the summers but Did absolutely nothing last winter exercise wise and drank a load of alcohol waaay to regularly. Combine that with turning 30 and I was starting to show a little gut growing. I'm 20 days in and found the first week punishing and got a bit ill after a week. However, now in the swing of it and look forward to the exercises.

It's not a shortcut to fitness, the workouts will WORK the fat off your ass. But it's completely achievable and it's a very well put together program. Highly recommended. After 20 days I see minor results and feel a lot more results. The bits under the chub are more solid, i can feel the muscles that went on vacation returning and general readiness for exercise just feels better.

I had completed phase 1 over last summer, but then I had my wedding and honeymoon in September, and resumed my fencing practice and travelling in October, completely falling off the horse.

I just did day 1 today and am going to try to follow it up with cardio (sprints or intervals) in the evening. Anyone else starting today?

xBigDanx

So I just started this yesterday... what is the best thing for recovery? I can't find the p90x supplement stuff anywhere so I'm thinking I should get some sort of protein shake powder? What should I look for? I've heard I could do chocolate milk instead?

I've never been one to workout, I'm doing this because we're doing it as a group at work and I figured why not. So it's very greek to me.

Any help would be appreciated as to what to look for in a recovery supplement

Micius

xBigDanx said:
So I just started this yesterday... what is the best thing for recovery? I can't find the p90x supplement stuff anywhere so I'm thinking I should get some sort of protein shake powder? What should I look for? I've heard I could do chocolate milk instead?

I've never been one to workout, I'm doing this because we're doing it as a group at work and I figured why not. So it's very greek to me.

Any help would be appreciated as to what to look for in a recovery supplement

A few pages back in this thread they mentioned chocolate milk and it's supposed to be fine as a recovery drink. I'm using it at the moment, don't really have any means of measuring how well it works compared to other products, but at least it revitalizes me quite well in combination with a contrast shower right after the workout.

xBigDanx

Micius said:
A few pages back in this thread they mentioned chocolate milk and it's supposed to be fine as a recovery drink. I'm using it at the moment, don't really have any means of measuring how well it works compared to other products, but at least it revitalizes me quite well in combination with a contrast shower right after the workout.

so this might be a dumb question. but should I use choclate milk that I buy at the store? or is it ok to use regular milk and then add chocolate syrup to? I realize they are probably the same thing, I'm just wondering if anything would be added to the premade stuff that I wouldn't get from milk + syrup

Hey guys, can you recommend what equipment to buy? I know you need a chip-up bar and resistance bands . . . I didn't buy either of them from the beachbody.com website, as they seemed a bit overpriced.

Also, is there anything I can substitute for the chin up bar? I really don't have anywhere to mount it in my apartment.

Thanks!

grumble

xBigDanx said:
so this might be a dumb question. but should I use choclate milk that I buy at the store? or is it ok to use regular milk and then add chocolate syrup to? I realize they are probably the same thing, I'm just wondering if anything would be added to the premade stuff that I wouldn't get from milk + syrup

Milk+syrup works fine.

Here's an objective comparison if chocolate milk versus Surge Recovery (can also be used to compare against the P90X drink, Anaconda, etc).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mu...son-of-chocolate-milk-and-surge-recovery.html

grumble

SirButterstick said:
Hey guys, can you recommend what equipment to buy? I know you need a chip-up bar and resistance bands . . . I didn't buy either of them from the beachbody.com website, as they seemed a bit overpriced.

Also, is there anything I can substitute for the chin up bar? I really don't have anywhere to mount it in my apartment.

Thanks!

Do you have a door? Use a doorframe chinup bar.

bionic77

OmniGamer said:
Some random pics from throughout this month, ~212lbs-216lbs

What did you look like before the program started? You look jacked in your pictures.

And umm...

Nah, better left unsaid. :lol

Back to P90X. I am in the middle of the my second week and I am not in agony anymore (though I was dead at the end of the chest and back and did not do great in Ab Ripper). Is that normal or was I not trying hard enough?

bionic77 said:
What did you look like before the program started? You look jacked in your pictures.

And umm...

Nah, better left unsaid. :lol

Back to P90X. I am in the middle of the my second week and I am not in agony anymore (though I was dead at the end of the chest and back and did not do great in Ab Ripper). Is that normal or was I not trying hard enough?

Just say it. You know you want to.

Nice junk, dude.

edgefusion

So I'm thinking about giving this a try. I've spent pretty much my whole life being overweight and I've come to a point where enough is enough and I want to change it. Is this thing going to totally kick my ass? It seems pretty overwhelming and I'm not sure I even understand it. I feel like I need to just sink my teeth into something and do it though.

xBigDanx

Is the yoga day seen as kind of a rest day? Can I skip it? It is a very tough schedule for me to keep up with as I have a 15 months old and have approximately 3 1/2 hour roundtrip commute to/from work. Having an extra day to not have to build this into my schedule would be nice

grumble

xBigDanx said:
Is the yoga day seen as kind of a rest day? Can I skip it? It is a very tough schedule for me to keep up with as I have a 15 months old and have approximately 3 1/2 hour roundtrip commute to/from work. Having an extra day to not have to build this into my schedule would be nice

Holy crap 3.5 hours? Move or quit! Nothing is worth giving up that amount of your life for. Assuming you sleep 8 hours a night, that's 22% of your waking life sitting on your ass in the car.

As for yoga, you can skip it if you want to, but I don't recommend it. The flexibility work will improve recovery and decrease soreness, and keep you from tightening up and hurting yourself. It makes you feel good, and it does also make you stronger. Again, it's skippable, but I really do not recommend it.

xBigDanx

grumble said:
Holy crap 3.5 hours? Move or quit! Nothing is worth giving up that amount of your life for. Assuming you sleep 8 hours a night, that's 22% of your waking life sitting on your ass in the car.

As for yoga, you can skip it if you want to, but I don't recommend it. The flexibility work will improve recovery and decrease soreness, and keep you from tightening up and hurting yourself. It makes you feel good, and it does also make you stronger. Again, it's skippable, but I really do not recommend it.

lol.. I live in New Jersey and commute to NYC. It's the price you pay for owning a house and living in the suburbs but still working in NYC. It's not too bad because I'm on the bus/train so I can sleep/read/play DS or PSP/etc.

I guess I'll give the yoga a try... I just won't have that feeling that I must finish the whole session to get maximum benefit.

LCfiner

edgefusion said:
So I'm thinking about giving this a try. I've spent pretty much my whole life being overweight and I've come to a point where enough is enough and I want to change it. Is this thing going to totally kick my ass? It seems pretty overwhelming and I'm not sure I even understand it. I feel like I need to just sink my teeth into something and do it though.

it’s totally going to kick your ass :lol

but in a good way. just like it did for me and a buddy of mine and a bunch of folks in this thread.

the concept is basic stuff. weight training one day, cardio/stretching routines the next. 6 days of that cycle then rest. each day is a different workout.

repeats for 3 weeks then a rest week.

then mix up the two upper body weight training routines with new, more intense workouts. the rest stays the same.

3rd month cycles between the month 1 and month 2 routines each week.

it’s tough stuff because you need to commit to it every day and get off your butt every day. and the routines are tough. different people find different routines harder than others. but they make clear that it’s OK if you can’t keep pace with the superfit people in the videos. so don’t get discouraged at the beginning.

but, speaking as someone who’s been overweight for a while but has been doing this for around 7 months now, the results come quickly and they bring motivation with them to continue. Plus there’s some unintentional comedy during the routines foam Tony sand the gaf thread helps keep you coming back to it.

Burger

edgefusion said:

What is there to lose ? All you have to do is follow the program. If there is something you don't understand there are a bunch of people here and at beachbody.com to help you. At least you have made the first step, deciding.

Is it going be hard work ? You bet.

Is it going to change your life ? Probably.

OmniGamer

bionic77 said:

:lol

I'll repost the comparison pics from after i did my initial 90 days...this runs from July '09 to the first week of Oct. '09. Stats are as follows:

Height: 6'6"
Starting weight: 245lbs
Ending weight: 226lbs
Day 1 Belly: 42"
Day 90 Belly: 38.5"

The lighting kind of sucks for these digital pics though...the harsh flash really washes out a lot of the detail in the day 90 shots...not like the cell phone shots i took this month.

But like "teh_pwn" said, and depending on your starting point, and how far you want to go, it may not be P90X for you, it may be P180X, or P360X, etc...after the first round, I did another round, but it wasn't as focused/strict as the first round unfortunately, especially since the Nov-Dec period included big food holidays. After round two, I decided to change it up a bit, so now i'm doing my hybrid routine, which i'm currently getting good results from. Around May 1st, I plan to resume another round of a full P90X program heading into summer.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
It's been a while since I posted, but well into phase 3 now :)

My gut is still there. If I flex, I can eek out a 4 back and my frontside looks pretty good when I do, but I want to get to the point where I don't have to flex or suck up in order to make that "spare tire" around my waist disappear. I had a bad eating streak last week, mostly because it was my birthday week (lots of food, a little beer). I tried to stay off carbs, which I did, but I made up the missing volume of food in meats, some of which were probably high in sodium).

Minor setback though. I now have Cardio X 4 times a week, and I've been able to keep pace with Tony and the kids in the cardio workouts (plyo and kenpo X especially), so I know I've been getting more of a calorie burn lately. I'm expecting better results now that I'm going back to a "normal" eating routine this week. As long as I can keep up the intensity in all the workouts, I should be able to get rid of a considerable amount of belly fat in the next few weeks :D

And I'm seriously contemplating P90X+. My gf's cousin who's also doing the classic X program wants to try it out too, so I may start with him at the end of April/start of May. And in the weeks after finishing my first 90 days, but before starting X+, I'm gonna do lots of jogging supplement it with Yoga X and Core Synergistics to try to burn a little extra fat.

nomster

xBigDanx said:
Definitely not a rest day, the first 45 minutes are pretty exhausting (for me anyway). I feel way more burned out after yoga than I do after kenpo

grumble

f-castrillo said:
It's been a while since I posted, but well into phase 3 now :)

My gut is still there. If I flex, I can eek out a 4 back and my frontside looks pretty good when I do, but I want to get to the point where I don't have to flex or suck up in order to make that "spare tire" around my waist disappear. I had a bad eating streak last week, mostly because it was my birthday week (lots of food, a little beer). I tried to stay off carbs, which I did, but I made up the missing volume of food in meats, some of which were probably high in sodium).

Minor setback though. I now have Cardio X 4 times a week, and I've been able to keep pace with Tony and the kids in the cardio workouts (plyo and kenpo X especially), so I know I've been getting more of a calorie burn lately. I'm expecting better results now that I'm going back to a "normal" eating routine this week. As long as I can keep up the intensity in all the workouts, I should be able to get rid of a considerable amount of belly fat in the next few weeks :D

And I'm seriously contemplating P90X+. My gf's cousin who's also doing the classic X program wants to try it out too, so I may start with him at the end of April/start of May. And in the weeks after finishing my first 90 days, but before starting X+, I'm gonna do lots of jogging supplement it with Yoga X and Core Synergistics to try to burn a little extra fat.

P90X+ is solid if you're done with P90X and bored with the movements, but I don't think it's quite as good personally. I'd stick with P90X for another two rounds then move on to P90X+, as the movements are somewhat more challenging.

mYm|17|

nomster said:
Definitely not a rest day, the first 45 minutes are pretty exhausting (for me anyway). I feel way more burned out after yoga than I do after kenpo

yea, the first 45 mins u are in Chaturanga/Downward dog poses and stuff, it's pretty grueling. The second half of yoga is all the balance and abs stuff. I get really bored with the yoga stuff cause it's so damn long, but you really work up a sweat

Burger

I just did Yoga X. Can't decide weather I hate it or love it. I am getting much more flexible though, and I suspect Yoga X has something to do with that.

I do love:

Tony: "...it's not a competition, it's doing your best and what you guys?"

"...."

Tony: "...doing your best... you guys."
:lol

So, is this a good workout for someone like myself who weighs a lot (around 250), but has been already doing some push-ups, bicep curls, quats, and hour long walks semi-regularly since a few months ago?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
yoga x ruins me. shit is LONG as well.

The first time I did it I thought it was going to be as hard as the first 45 minutes all the time, it gets easier though.

I can almost do the optional pressup everytime now and continue the workout but dear lord is my flexibility bad.

Micius

xBigDanx said:

It's definitely an important part of the program that you shouldn't skip, especially since by the sound of it you don't really have time to do the X Stretch on the official rest days? I think the stretching and flexibility training is pretty important overall. Some people seem to prefer replacing Yoga X with stretching and while that's not really a proper substitute, if you are really short on energy or time it might be an alternative to skipping it altogether.

It's a pretty strenuous workout, probably the one that makes me sweat the most alongside Plyo. For me personally the flexibility required isn't a problem since I've had some martial arts training in my teens (I'm more flexible than Tony in the videos and just a little bit behind Adam and the girls which doesn't really say much since Tony is in his mid-40s at the time of filming :lol), but coming off 4-5 years of being a couch-potato my endurance and strength is pathetic, and while I can hold a shaky twisting half moon when I'm rested, by the time I get there in the program I'm so beat I can't barely keep my foot up during a warrior 3. Still though, I love Yoga and what it's doing for my body. I'd recommend struggling through it in spite of time constraints and boredom for the overall benefits it provides.

thorin

So am I the only one who flops around like a fish out of water when trying to do oblique v-ups? I'm on week 5 and still stuggling with this one, despite impoving everywhere else.

Micius

thorin said:
So am I the only one who flops around like a fish out of water when trying to do oblique v-ups? I'm on week 5 and still stuggling with this one, despite impoving everywhere else.

I don't think it's anything to worry about... third week for me at the moment, and I still have a lot of problems with that one too. It's really hard to maintain the form they are displaying in the video, I just can't keep my feet straight and together for it. Nothing to worry about though, Tony would probably tell you that you are just "currently struggling" and point to one of his "kids" and add "when he was starting out, he couldn't even do one!" :lol

jts

...hate me...
So I started off today.

I'm really off shape and can barely do a single push up, let alone a pull up.

So it was really frustrating... if I can't do the shit they do, how am I supposed to get in shape? By watching them?

But I'll try to keep "pushing play" and see where it goes, hoping at the same time that the diet will also kick in and lower my weight, making the exercises easier. I'm 200lb btw.

I just hope this doesn't bite time into my studies for naught.

LCfiner

jts said:
So I started off today.

So it was really frustrating... if I can't do the shit they do, how am I supposed to get in shape? By watching them?

But I'll try to keep "pushing play" and see where it goes, hoping at the same time that the diet will also kick in and lower my weight, making the exercises easier. I'm 200lb btw.

if you can't do a single pushup, do them from your knees.

if you can't do a single pull-up, get resistance bands and use those.

you will get stronger and then move to the unmodified forms.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ab ripper x, i find that the bike exercise and crunchy frog don't hurt my abs at all. It hurts the shit out the tops of my legs though.

also fifer scissors can f itself in the a. I'll beat it one day, but not the next day that's for sure.

LCfiner said:
if you can't do a single pushup, do them from your knees.

if you can't do a single pull-up, get resistance bands and use those.

you will get stronger and then move to the unmodified forms.
Yeah, do stuff like this.

There are various options. You can do incline push-ups, like with your arms on a chair or couch. You can do reverse pull-ups, i.e. jump to the top and ease yourself down extremely slowly (make sure your bar is secure when jumping). Or if you have an adjustable height bar, lower it down, put your feet on the ground, and do the pull ups at an angle.

It's not critical to always get the right amount of resistance, but it's important to always be adjusting from set to set and week to week in search of it.

Day 1 is probably most involved in the modification, because it's trickier to modify your own body weight.

Day 2 is a lot of jumping and Pam will show you how you can modify (lower height, more contact with the feet).

Day 3 has a lot of free weights, which can obviously be modified by going for a lesser weight, or bands.

etc.

thorin

Micius said:
I don't think it's anything to worry about... third week for me at the moment, and I still have a lot of problems with that one too. It's really hard to maintain the form they are displaying in the video, I just can't keep my feet straight and together for it. Nothing to worry about though, Tony would probably tell you that you are just "currently struggling" and point to one of his "kids" and add "when he was starting out, he couldn't even do one!" :lol
He'd probably point to that Jason dude in the back. Is it just my imagination or does Tony seem to get pissed off with that guy around halfway through ab ripper x?

jts

...hate me...
Thanks for the advice guys, really motivating ;)

I was really looking into this day, got all the gear and foods for the diet etc, and it was a bit disappointing this false start.

But yeah, I'll adapt and continue! :D

Micius

jts said:
So I started off today.

When I did Chest and Back for the first time it completely broke me. After I was done it hurt like hell to bend my arms for 3-4 days due to swollen triceps and strained elbows, but I stuck to the program and paced myself and the second week was much easier. If my body was telling me to stop I lowered the number of reps or paused for a few seconds to get my heartrate down a bit, but I try my best to follow the entire program from the beginning to the end.

It's also important to note that you won't necessarily going to be able to replicate the performance of the people in the video right off the bat, or possibly even after a full round of the program. However, just getting those hours of work done every day, working up a sweat and managing your diet will definitely bring result if you have the discipline to keep it up.

I'm in a similar situation as you at the moment as well with the exercise eating into my study time, in fact I took three days off from the program for an exam last week. There will definitely be times when you have to deviate from the plan, either the exercising part or the diet, but that's completely okay. Just roll with it and pick things up again as soon as you can, and don't give up.

Just for the record, I started at 185 pounds, and I am now in the middle of my third week (just did Yoga X today) I'm down 6 pounds. Still struggling with push-ups and pull-ups (I use a chair for the pull-ups and do a lot of the push-ups on my knees).

Micius

thorin said:
He'd probably point to that Jason dude in the back. Is it just my imagination or does Tony seem to get pissed off with that guy around halfway through ab ripper x?

Never really noticed that before actually, I'm usually flailing away on the mat and too busy to look up... Just looked at the video again, do you mean during Heels to the Heavens when Tony's standing over him with a "son I am disappoint" face on? :lol

thorin

Micius said:
Never really noticed that before actually, I'm usually flailing away on the mat and too busy to look up... Just looked at the video again, do you mean during Heels to the Heavens when Tony's standing over him with a "son I am disappoint" face on? :lol
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the part. Afterwards Tony walks away and says "Nobody leave!" and looks to that guy. :lol

OmniGamer

thorin said:

These can still give me problems some days...i get especially pissed at mr. goatee in the back "making contact" with his elbows and thighs.

catfish said:
ab ripper x, i find that the bike exercise and crunchy frog don't hurt my abs at all. It hurts the shit out the tops of my legs though.

also fifer scissors can f itself in the a. I'll beat it one day, but not the next day that's for sure.

As tony says, it's not just ab work, it's core work, and you may feel it in your hip flexors and legs...and you're supposed to. But I love it because while i've always had decent legs when working out, these have really brought out the definition in my upper quads.

Fifer scissors piss me off...i don't know what it is, but i can't straighten the vertical leg for the life of me. I just have some really long, heavy, bulky legs, it feels as if i have resistance bands tied to my ankles when trying to raise them to the 90 degree position. Ah well, flexibility has never ever been my strongsuit.

thorin

OmniGamer said:
th_IMAG0218a.jpg
Whoa, I didn't notice earlier. How did you get such impressive
legs
?

Kronotech

I'm debating on whether or not to start this up again. I'm 192lbs and 6'3". I'm thin but have a small gut building up.

I got through 30 days the first time I went through the program and then got sick. Couldn't do much for about 2 weeks, lost the small muscle I had built up, and then lost motivation.

My concern is I'm not necessarily trying to lose weight like most who do P90X. I'm trying to put on some lean muscle while trimming my gut. I hear I shouldn't do Plyometrics anymore because an hour of cardio with my body would just start burning muscle.

Is there anyone else doing P90X that is in my camp? Should I go for it again or stick with the gym (heavy weights, lower reps) and 20-30 minutes of cardio before I lift?

bionic77

OmniGamer said:
Fifer scissors piss me off...i don't know what it is, but i can't straighten the vertical leg for the life of me. I just have some really long, heavy, bulky legs, it feels as if i have resistance bands tied to my ankles when trying to raise them to the 90 degree position. Ah well, flexibility has never ever been my strongsuit.
That exercise seems physically impossible to do it with your legs straight.

jts said:
So I started off today.

Do push ups againts a wall. Feet back, your hands on the wall pushing your upper body away from the wall. You can do all the push up variations that way. In a week or two you'll be able to do them normally from the floor. For pull ups, start with resistance bands.

Top Bottom