• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

LCfiner said:
yes, get a yoga mat.

if you can, get a yoga mat plus a thicker one for some of the other routines.

This. Do not cheap out on the yoga mat either, cheap yoga mats can either be too slippery or sticky and totally fuck with your routine. You don't want to be fighting the mat during some of these poses or risk slipping. I bought a cheap one and I am really regretting it and planning to invest in a better one soon.

Jugendstil said:
This. Do not cheap out on the yoga mat either, cheap yoga mats can either be too slippery or sticky and totally fuck with your routine. You don't want to be fighting the mat during some of these poses or risk slipping. I bought a cheap one and I am really regretting it and planning to invest in a better one soon.
Yeah, I just got back, but while at the store I was going to get the $20 one but it looked flimsy. I sacrificed my 1600 Microsoft Points and got the $30 one instead
</3

I got it at Target, so I don't know if you'd consider the mats they carry cheap. It's a "premium" yoga mat with a thickness of 5mm. I believe the $20 ones were 2.5mm.

dragonlife29 said:
Yeah, I just got back, but while at the store I was going to get the $20 one but it looked flimsy. I sacrificed my 1600 Microsoft Points and got the $30 one instead
</3

I got it at Target, so I don't know if you'd consider the mats they carry cheap. It's a "premium" yoga mat with a thickness of 5mm. I believe the $20 ones were 2.5mm.
Let us know how the mat is, I've been looking to upgrade to a better one myself, the one I bought pretty much sucks.

Yesterday I was unable to do the scheduled routine. Unfortunately, it was one of the most important ones, Plyometrics. Should I push everything back one day this week and do Plyometrics tonight or try to work it in over the weekend?

dragonlife29 said:
</3

I don't think the amount you spend really matters, but thickness and the surface of the material are whats important. I mean it's essentially just a big rectangle of foam-like material. If it looks crappy, and feels crappy, it's probably going to be crappy to use.

I bought a cheap ass $20 one at Sears and its a giant piece of shit. I could lay bubble wrap on the floor and it would probably work better.

Boonoo

I should get my new mat in tomorrow--Natural Fitness powerhouse mat (25 bucks from amazon). It's 23 by 72 inches and 3/8ths of an inch thick. I'll post about how it is once I get it.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
frailimbnursry said:
Yesterday I was unable to do the scheduled routine. Unfortunately, it was one of the most important ones, Plyometrics. Should I push everything back one day this week and do Plyometrics tonight or try to work it in over the weekend?

I'd push everything back one day personally.

frailimbnursry said:

Push it back. Plyo really burns the calories.

phinious

I did Yoga X for the first time last night and found it REALLY hard. The first 45 minuts of doing upward dog, then downward dog and the warrior poses was extremely hard for me. My arms were still tired from the arms/shoulder workout the day before.

Today I have legs and back, and ab ripper and Im actually worried cause Im so damned tired! my legs and abs are so sore already!

Also people saying yoga made them feel better after the first week. That is crazy, maybe it will be easier once my form/balance gets better... sigh

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Did plyo last night. When I was done I thought "well that wasn't too bad". I was sweating like crazy, more than I have playing any sport. But because of my bad knees and back, I mostly did the low impact versions so I didn't feel it all that much in my muscles.
Then I woke up this morning. Or should I say the pain from my sore muscles woke me up. My entire upper body and my thighs are so ficking sore. Im worried about being able to do day 3 tonight.

silvon

How long before the workout is it best to have a meal? I usually do non-cardio workout immediately after my dinner, as I have more energy that way, but I just read that if you want to burn fat, it's best to work out hours after your meal?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
silvon said:
How long before the workout is it best to have a meal? I usually do non-cardio workout immediately after my dinner, as I have more energy that way, but I just read that if you want to burn fat, it's best to work out hours after your meal?

The video mentioned that you should wait at least an hour after eating to do the workouts.

silvon said:

Depends on what you eat but I would wait 1.5hrs to 2 hrs before working out and remember to eat LIGHT. Half portion meals will best suit you.

Oh and give plyo at least 2 hrs.

silvon

Thanks! Hopefully I'll have enough energy for the workouts, especially since the low-carb diet makes me feel weaker.

ilikeme

So I borrowed the P90 non-xtreme version and.. this dude is hilarious! He's just the right amount of wholesome, creepy, funny.. I am so gonna start this up. And most of the diet tips sound really easy particularly as school is coming up. So the breakfast and no late meals will be easier to pull off.

He's got me going!

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Finished day 3 training, plyo was not too bad, i've done those exercises in martial arts and even worst, the kinds you have trouble walking for 2 days... but its very well done, lots of exercises for every leg muscles.

Im mostly having trouble with the upper body training, goddamn i fail and fail again and again during the training lol.

LCfiner

Buggy Loop said:
Finished day 3 training, plyo was not too bad, i've done those exercises in martial arts and even worst, the kinds you have trouble walking for 2 days... but its very well done, lots of exercises for every leg muscles.

Im mostly having trouble with the upper body training, goddamn i fail and fail again and again during the training lol.

Just do your best and....

foget the rest!

I had to move down to some embarrassingly low weights for the crouched congdon curls. :lol

but, I figure that by week 4 or 5, I'll be moving up without much issue.

heck, even though i'm only halfway through the second week, the lack of ridiculous stiffness and muscle soreness the day after the workouts is a huge improvement over week 1. :lol

YES! My stuff came in today! :D I'm excited to get started and feel awesome soreness with you all.

As for impressions on the mat...I'm no expert, but it feels great when I lay on it. It's really comfortable and even thought, "Man, I could fall asleep on this thing." We'll see how well it works when I actually put it to use and exercise, which will be in a bit.

LCfiner said:
Just do your best and....

foget the rest!

I had to move down to some embarrassingly low weights for the crouched congdon curls. :lol

but, I figure that by week 4 or 5, I'll be moving up without much issue.

heck, even though i'm only halfway through the second week, the lack of ridiculous stiffness and muscle soreness the day after the workouts is a huge improvement over week 1. :lol

I'm glad to hear it. I've been aching all over for all of this week. The day after Plyo was definitely the worst :lol

had my first Yoga today and boy did that start off hard before getting to easy stuff about 45 minutes in. When he said 'That's the hard stuff over!' I was so relieved as I didn't think I was going to make it the whole way through.

Magnus

I fell off the fucking horse two days ago. I was just too exhausted and worn out to keep going on tuesday (only day 9 lol) and yesterday's schedule didn't afford the time.

So today is day 9, second edition. Please tell me this has happened to some of you :lol

Drakken

LAST VINYASA! Did yoga for the second time tonight. The first 45 minutes are annoying, though it wasn't as bad this time. I actually enjoy the second half; doing those stretches feels good.

LCfiner

Drakken said:
LAST VINYASA! Did yoga for the second time tonight. The first 45 minutes are annoying, though it wasn't as bad this time. I actually enjoy the second half; doing those stretches feels good.

FUCK THAT VINYASA UP ITS STUPID FUCKING ASS!

yoga is seriously intense. my jaw dropped when they do those side twists from triangle pose where you're supposed to reach your arms below your legs, bending down and under so far.

it's like a human pretzel.

or the side twists where you're twisted around your opposite leg and then you need to reach with your arms vertically up and down while twisting the back to the side.

oh my god.

If I can actually do those moves by next summer, I'm joining the circus.

LCfiner said:
FUCK THAT VINYASA UP ITS STUPID FUCKING ASS!

yoga is seriously intense. my jaw dropped when they do those side twists from triangle pose where you're supposed to reach your arms below your legs, bending down and under so far.

it's like a human pretzel.

or the side twists where you're twisted around your opposite leg and then you need to reach with your arms vertically up and down while twisting the back to the side.

oh my god.

If I can actually do those moves by next summer, I'm joining the circus.

Done that routine like 4 times. Still can't do that pretzel thing without releasing. maybe it has to do with plyo a couple of days before.

grumble

suffah said:
I notice I am usually in the 130 to 150 range during the workouts. When I really push, it jumps to 150-160.

Hahaha, when I go hard on the bike my heart rate jumps up to about 180 and stays there. When not working out, my heartrate hovers around 75, but for a while I was pretty worried that I was going to have a heart attack or something.

Thaedolus

Magnus said:
I fell off the fucking horse two days ago. I was just too exhausted and worn out to keep going on tuesday (only day 9 lol) and yesterday's schedule didn't afford the time.

So today is day 9, second edition. Please tell me this has happened to some of you :lol

The most important thing I've ever learned about getting in shape/losing weight/whatever is don't give it all up when you slip up. Try to keep it to a minimum, but don't skip one day and then say fuck it. Just keep going where you left off.

I exercised on my own years ago and dropped down from a XXL to M in shirt size but never really got rid of the belly, so I went in thinking I wouldn't be too hopeless. Anyway, I just got done with the first disc! :D I really, really liked it and the Tony guy is awesome.

Man, my upper body sucks ass. I had to resort to girly push-ups just to get some in...:lol And the fact that there were around four variations made me "D:" a lot. Also, holy fuck at the Dive Bombers or whatever they're called...I could not even do one :lol Also, I had to improvise on the pull-ups with my resistance bands 'cause I don't have any support to place them around. (I lay on my back, head raised, lifted my legs, and pulled).

Also, holy shit at Ab Ripper X....I was blown away.

Even though I couldn't keep up with them on the push-ups and a lot of the Ab Ripper X, I tried my best and definitely felt the sensation of having no arms (and ab pain, whic always feels soooooo good).

Oh, and my mat came through. It supported me greatly.

OmniGamer

2nd "Chest/Shoulders/Triceps" workout of Phase 2, and it's still kicking my ass. But I did improve in several exercies at least. Particularly the clap pushups...by then my triceps are already burning, but I went from 10 on-knees pushups with no claps(just launched up as hard as i could, but not getting enough height to clap), to 8 on-knees pushups, managing to clap cleanly on 3 of them. Crappy stat for most probably, but for a tall heavy mofo like me, i'll take my bow anyway.

phinious

Finished my first week. KenpoX was the first routine I actually did all the reps in. It is also the most fun IMO. Cant wait for my day off tomorow. Im exhausted.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Im pleasantly surprised at Yoga X, i loved it, first half is a bitch but in a good way, and then its just soothing.

silvon

Starting my third week. I improve slightly on the push-ups, I can do 4-5 more reps on standard and military versions, but I still can only do ZERO reps on the second round diamonds and dive bombers. I don't know why, when I reach the second round diamond my upper arms have always become too weak to do any types of push-ups, I tried pushing it but I always ended up crashing to the ground :lol

I don't think the workouts affect my physique significantly, but I definitely feel stronger and have way more stamina than before.

silvon said:
Starting my third week. I improve slightly on the push-ups, I can do 4-5 more reps on standard and military versions, but I still can only do ZERO reps on the second round diamonds and dive bombers. I don't know why, when I reach the second round diamond my upper arms have always become too weak to do any types of push-ups, I tried pushing it but I always ended up crashing to the ground :lol

I don't think the workouts affect my physique significantly, but I definitely feel stronger and have way more stamina than before.
same, iv notice me get stronger and WAY more stamina. iv alsot cut most f the fat around my midsection (got six pack back), lost 10 lbs, and gaind 1 1/2 inch on my arms.

just wait until next 4 weeks when you have to do slow pushups and one armed push ups.....pure pain :D

I tried P90X for 3 weeks and I did not loose a single pound. I got extremely disappointed and dropped out. I was eating Veggie Burgers and a lot of them for protein. Could it be that ? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Dwayne

Unregistered007 said:
I tried P90X for 3 weeks and I did not loose a single pound. I got extremely disappointed and dropped out. I was eating Veggie Burgers and a lot of them for protein. Could it be that ? Any feedback will be appreciated.

We don't have veggie burgers here in New Zealand ( I wish we did ) but from what i've heard, they're really good protein wise, I see them used in a lot of vegetarian diets on bodybuilding.com forums. If you want to lose weight, you have to have calorie deficit and exercise. I'd imagine if you were doing P90X, you'd have been fine exercise wise, but i'd guess that you were eating maintenance level calories, or more. Adjust your diet and you'll lose pounds just fine.

Togeo

Somebody should just post what you need with costs. Equipment, supplements etc. It's a bit confusing to find scattered among the 9 pages :lol

Replicant

Unregistered007 said:

How many did you consume? It's always a good idea to consider what you eat and eat moderately (I'm not talking about going on a diet but just eating sensibly). I know this because I'm terribly bad at staying away from sugars so my weight loss has been a bit slower than other people. Also, be aware that the weight you gain may be muscle replacing some of your fat. The important thing is not so much your weight but how you look and feel. Do you feel healthier? Have better reflex? A lot more energy? And just look trimmer than you used to?

Also, the more fat you have, the more you should try to refrain yourself from eating too much. It's only after you start shedding a lot of pounds that you can start incorporating back some of the thing you eat because then your body needs them for sustenance.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Unregistered007 said:
Weight loss is a simple formula. If P90X didn't work for you, you need to evaluate what went wrong. There's no magic diet or workout routine that's going to make you lose weight. Just consume less calories than you need each day. If you go 500 calories under each day, that's 3500 calories a week, or about 1 lb. Losing 4-5 pounds per month is pretty reasonable.

No idea how healthy those veggie burgers are, but it's possible they are high in calories. How many were you eating? If you worked out via P90X daily, you were doing cardio for an hour three times a week, plus the weight routines. How was the rest of your diet like?

My best friend is fat. He hits the gym daily to do cardio. He consumes a minimum of 2-3 margaritas daily. That's about 1500-2000 calories per day, in addition to his regular meals. He doesn't understand why hitting the gym daily isn't making him lose weight. He blames it on the routine, he switched gyms, etc. He just doesn't believe it's as simple as cutting down on his caloric intake.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Actually, a quick look at the nutrition guide of P90X, i see veggie burgers, but they're in phase 3, 9 weeks down the road and the kind of plan where you get to 3000 calories, a "lot" of them might have been the problem.

First 4 weeks are fat burning mode, no bread, no pasta, skim milk, egg whites, fish, lean beef, chicken, etc Foods that are fat burners

http://www.101fatburningfoods.com/

You can get your high protein intake with shakes which are usually a high ration from 3 to 1 or even 5 to 1 ratio in protein - carb.

What type of food you eat is important, i've NEVER eaten this much in a single day of my life with this nutrition guide and im still seeing the fat going away after just 4 days

OmniGamer

Unregistered007 said:

I'd say you shouldn't focus so much on just the numbers. When I started last month, my weight was around 242lbs-244lbs, and stayed around that range throughout my first 3 weeks...it actually wasn't until after my recovery week that i saw the numbers go down. After my recovery week, I was at 238lbs...yesterday was the start of my second week of my Phase 2, and i weighed myself in the morning, and i was down to 236lbs. My goal for the end of the month is 230lbs.

Overall, it's not the numbers that matter so much, but your composition. I use the scale as a quick gauge, but I focus moreso on what I see and feel. I look forward moreso to taking my 60-day progress pics at the end of this month to compare with Day 1 and Day 30.

Unregistered007 said:

This might sound like a dumb question. but...did you eat those burgers with bread? Because you should only have 2 slices of wheat bread per day. What you should actually be eating is the patty, if you're eating several of them per day.

LCfiner

yeah, if you're eating veggie burgers with bread multiple times each day, you're taking in too many carbs early on.

I'm a pretty big guy so my expected caloric intake is at phase 3 (>3000 calories) but I've already lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks due to cutting out the sugars, fats and pastas. I'll have a single sandwich or wrap a day and the rest of the food is meat, nuts, vegetables, fruits and yogurt.

plus some delicious p90x recovery drink(tm)

I have to remind myself to eat a bit more snacks so i don't lose energy and get tired during the day.

phinious said:
Finished my first week. KenpoX was the first routine I actually did all the reps in. It is also the most fun IMO. Cant wait for my day off tomorow. Im exhausted.

The only problem I have with Kenpo is that they have the worst form ever. It really annoys me as I was in Shudokan for years. It is a welcomed change in all though.

Okay guys, let me make it more clear. My Protein portion was just Veggie Burgers. They contain

14g Protein
7g Carb (2 Fiber)
2.5 g Fat

I was eating 4 to 8 of them. Only 2 Whole wheat english muffins daily, sometimes 3 max.

Shit just started this, I thought I was out of shape, but when it comes to the chest and back portion, seems like I'm keeping it. But I suspect that's due to the fact I rock climb and kickbox.

Guess this is helping to refine and define. Honestly doing P90X gives me more energy. Loving it.

But watching the dude on the video do them like.......80x my speed makes me go........shit this dude is......EXTREEEEMMEEE! AND HE'S TALKING?! fuck

Though my girlfriend isn't feeling the way he talks to the Lauren or is Mouran (wtf kind of name is that?) chick :lol

Tacitus_

How much space does this require?

I have a very small amount of space available, since I can basically use only my own room and it isn't exactly big (there's like 2m x 2m of free space, tops).

TheExecutive said:
The only problem I have with Kenpo is that they have the worst form ever. It really annoys me as I was in Shudokan for years. It is a welcomed change in all though.
Yeah, but I guess they're after the cardio and explosiveness more than the form.

That guy Wesley has better form than the rest of them, but he kills my buzz because he's not really working hard.

-------------

Advice needed: I'm on the second day of my third week. Phase 2 start is going to be on 8/21. On 9/7, I'm getting married and 2 days after that I'm leaving for my honeymoon in Costa Rica, where I'll be for about a week.

I don't want to completely drop everything because my competitive fencing season starts in mid-December, and I'm working on being in the best shape of my career. I'll try to work out in Costa Rica, but I probably won't be able to do everything, depending on where I am, and I certainly will stray from the meal plan... in moderation.

When I come back, what do you guys think I should do? Pick it up from where I was before I left? Start Phase 2 over? Phase 1? In case it matters, I'm doing a second work out in the evenings. Before it was jogging. Starting this week, it's sprint/interval training or foot-speed exercises. Starting late August it will be fencing-related footwork and explosiveness exercises.

Thanks.

Battersea Power Station said:
Yeah, but I guess they're after the cardio and explosiveness more than the form.

That guy Wesley has better form than the rest of them, but he kills my buzz because he's not really working hard.

-------------

Advice needed: I'm on the second day of my third week. Phase 2 start is going to be on 8/21. On 9/7, I'm getting married and 2 days after that I'm leaving for my honeymoon in Costa Rica, where I'll be for about a week.

I don't want to completely drop everything because my competitive fencing season starts in mid-December, and I'm working on being in the best shape of my career. I'll try to work out in Costa Rica, but I probably won't be able to do everything, depending on where I am, and I certainly will stray from the meal plan... in moderation.

When I come back, what do you guys think I should do? Pick it up from where I was before I left? Start Phase 2 over? Phase 1? In case it matters, I'm doing a second work out in the evenings. Before it was jogging. Starting this week, it's sprint/interval training or foot-speed exercises. Starting late August it will be fencing-related footwork and explosiveness exercises.

Thanks.
IMO you should enjoy the honeymoon, just do some pushups and situps here and there if you are so inclined and maybe an occasional run.

As for P90X I would just pick up where you left off depending on how you feel. Maybe you can start Phase II over again if you kind of feel pretty worn out after the first workout, basically just play it by ear.

LCfiner

Tacitus_ said:
How much space does this require?

I have a very small amount of space available, since I can basically use only my own room and it isn't exactly big (there's like 2m x 2m of free space, tops).

the minimum you need is at least 10' x 8' approx for the kenpo moves (front, side, back kick combos). everything else can be done in slightly less space, imo.

you may also need some space to allow your body to fall when you tumble out of the difficult yoga balance moves. :lol

on another note, just finished my second week of phase 1 and I feel great. much less pain after workouts compared to week 1 and i'm actually looking forward to the resistance training stuff for next week.

first time in my life i've been genuinely excited and happy about a workout regime.

Top Bottom