• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

TwiztidElf

Another point about Legs and Back and Sophia.
Towards the end, during the cooldown, when they are doing the huggers, Tony walks over to Dreya and they do a combined hug together, and straight afterwards they cut to Sofia and she has a fake smile masking her obvious displeasure at the friendliness between Tony and Dreya.

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
IGotBillySoSpooked said:
I always thought he said "it isn't for me" because it is high in calories. He gives Sophia crap about it being a poor choice, too.

In fact, he seems to give Sophia shit through out most of the Legs & Back workout. He is on her about her form, he gives her shit for picking a light band, and he makes her do 15 reps instead of 11 on the last exercise.

Further, he seems to not have any idea what Sophia is doing. If you notice the editing when he is introducing Sophia, her arms change positions in each shot. They are in front, then he says something about being a dentist, then they are magically in the back before switching back to the front. It is like they had to cut because Tony forgot Sophia's occupation.

Yeah I agree w/ everything except the arm switching thing which I hadn't noticed. I assumed the lobster bisque thing was about him simply not liking it too much.

But I do think there was some kind of rivalry/tension between her and Dreya, although I don't think Dreya was aware of it and I don't know if it has anything to do with Tony. More like jealous of another woman thing.

Personally I'm not fond of her, chiclets, boxy shape and all, but whatever. As long as the programme works...

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Acheron said:
Anyone know the best place to get dumbbells? I'd like the adjustables but if they're $300 no way.

Amazon has a CAP Barbell set for about $40.

If you want good adjustables, you are probably looking at $300+. Both the SelectTech and the Powerblocks are right in that range brand new, with the PowerBlocks being slightly cheaper. Craigslist might have some cheaper sets.

There are 25 pound adjustable sets that you can get at target for like $50 each, but I don't know how good they are.

Harry Potter said:
Last week of Insanity! Then onto the ASYLUM!

Does it get any easier after the first 2 weeks?

Bildocube

Okay so I'm trying to decide on a set of adjustable dumbbells so I can get started with P90X next month (I'm in good shape and want to take it to the next level, and I'm fully committed to this thing and have already experimented with Plyo X (WOW SO HARD) and others)

I've checked out PowerBlocks and the Bowflex SelectTech 552. I like them both. Obviously, the Powerblock is much smaller and I really like that. I've heard from various people that they have to modify some of the routines because of the size of the Bowflex. I'm looking at probably spending around $500+ for Powerblock Urethane's or the $320 for the SelectTech 552 with stand and cannot decide which one to get. Which ones should I get? Again, I plan on doing multiple rounds of P90X, but I'm not sure if I can justify $200 extra just because the Powerblocks are smaller. But I'm not sure how big of a deal it is to have to modify some of the workouts to compensate for the Bowflex bulk.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Bildocube said:
Okay so I'm trying to decide on a set of adjustable dumbbells so I can get started with P90X next month (I'm in good shape and want to take it to the next level, and I'm fully committed to this thing and have already experimented with Plyo X (WOW SO HARD) and others)

I've checked out PowerBlocks and the Bowflex SelectTech 552. I like them both. Obviously, the Powerblock is much smaller and I really like that. I've heard from various people that they have to modify some of the routines because of the size of the Bowflex. I'm looking at probably spending around $500+ for Powerblock Urethane's or the $320 for the SelectTech 552 with stand and cannot decide which one to get. Which ones should I get? Again, I plan on doing multiple rounds of P90X, but I'm not sure if I can justify $200 extra just because the Powerblocks are smaller. But I'm not sure how big of a deal it is to have to modify some of the workouts to compensate for the Bowflex bulk.

PowerBlock Classics are very nice, if you want the PowerBlocks without the higher price tag of the Urethane series. I have the 45 pound PowerBlock Classic set that I paid like $330 for on Amazon. It is 5 pounds less than you get with the 552 from Bowflex, though, so that is something to consider if you are able to get the Bowflex at $320.

As I've said before in this thread, I really recommend the PowerBlocks. They are very sturdy and you don't have to worry about modifying any of the workouts.

Honestly, though, I'd probably just go with the cheaper option. If they are both the same price (or within a few bucks), I'd go with the PowerBlock.

IGotBillySoSpooked said:
Does it get any easier after the first 2 weeks?

Your body will probably start to get used to the routine around that time. But then week 5 will hit and the new workouts will be introduced and you'll be sore as shit again. You'll get over it but it won't be fun. Dig deeper :)

rkn

SUBZERO-08 said:
So, I'm starting up P90X tomorrow. What am I in for?
Depends on how much you are able to bring it. You'll probably be enthusiastic to start, but at some point it'll become a chore! Something will come up and ruin your schedule and you'll question whether you should keep going, but keep going.

Officially a graduate after today's workout. I've decided to continue with a daily program because I haven't reached my personal goals, which is basically to get rid of my waist / abdomen fat. Can't wait to compare my results photos.

I'm not sure if I can just reboot P90X and do another 90 days so I'm considering any and all mixes and alternatives. I've ordered Insanity, is there a recommended hybrid routine somewhere? I want to keep the resistance workouts (sans Legs & Back, sick of it), but need some variety this time around.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
rkn said:
Officially a graduate after today's workout. I've decided to continue with a daily program because I haven't reached my personal goals, which is basically to get rid of my waist / abdomen fat.
i cant help, but i'd really appreciate it if you'd keep us updated to what you do and how its working. im just under 3 weeks from finishing and can tell im going to have to continue on with something in order to hit my goals and im burned out on a few of the p90x workouts (legs and back for sure).

andycapps

Week 5 starts today, was supposed to start yesterday but I had a long weekend in NYC and got back at 10 last night, too exhausted to start then. I was completely off my diet all weekend, which the bad news. Good news is that I walked so much while I was there that I'm pretty sure I didn't gain a pound. I actually feel like I lost a little. So much for all the pizza and burgers, now it's back to healthy eating and hard workouts!

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
BertramCooper said:
"a CUP of PEAS..."

Goddamn, the product plugs in Insanity are even more annoying than the ones in P90X.

All the shots down the women's training bras while they are stretching more than makes up for that, though. My God, is the cinematography well done in Plyo Circuit.

You're in for pure hell. But it will also be one of the best things you've ever done for yourself. Stick to it for 90 days (including the diet!) and you'll thank yourself when you're done. Trust me, it will change your life for the better.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bildocube said:

Why would it cost 500 for the urethane powerblocks? I think they're like 380?

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
On Phase 1 Week 3 Day 6 - Kenpo day
I hate Kenpo day so much, I usually do another video instead and frankly I wish I'd skipped it again today. I thought I'd like it cause I used to do Judo for a long while but this workout is just horrendous, I hate the rushed movements & I feel like an absolute dork the entire time.

Urgh -

On the plus side, I've been surprising myself every day that I get up and do the day's video :)
Haven't noticed any weight changes (in 3 weeks, is this about right?) but I'm def stronger so yay.

KJTB

So, I'm doing this with a buddy of mine over summer...

Should I have trashcans at the ready for vomit or should I be fine? lol

andycapps

Dipindots said:

Don't eat for a couple hours before you do your workouts.. Keep a can ready just in case, it just depends on your fitness level going in. I haven't thrown up yet, but I hate doing that more than almost anything so I've prevented it a few times from happening.

Dipindots said:

I would say keep it around for your first week and keep it around for plyo until you know you'll be ok after doing it. Defintely dont eat anywhere close to plyo, it WILL work you hard.

Kosmo

Banned
Can anyone comment on doing P90X and not following the diet portion?

I think I eat pretty sensibly, have no interest in tracking my diet, and am not overweight - I'm 5'10" and hover around 178-181lbs. Really just looking for get a little definition and add some strength.

FOOTE

Kosmo said:

I think I eat pretty sensibly and am not overweight - I'm 5'10" and hover around 178-181lbs. Really just looking for get a little definition and add some strength.
You will get stronger by doing the workouts. The diet is for those who want to slim down enough so that their abs show. If you're not interested in getting your abs to show and other extreme definition, don't worry about the diet.

Been lurking in this thread for some time now but after seeing DavidRSM results I want in to !
AMAZING progress and video that really convinced me !

My biggest problem is room :(
I do not have enough room (I think) to really move around sadly. On the place doing stuff is fine but more than that is a problem.

andycapps

The Dutch Slayer said:
Been lurking in this thread for some time now but after seeing DavidRSM results I want in to !
AMAZING progress and video that really convinced me !

My biggest problem is room :(
I do not have enough room (I think) to really move around sadly. On the place doing stuff is fine but more than that is a problem.

You really don't need a ton of room. You need about 5 x 5 ft of room to make do. The more the better though, but you can make do with a few feet.

alejob

Friday is the last day I have to do Legs and arms. Next week is my last recovery week. It's been fun but summer is almost here and its time to do other things.

I'm kind of disappointed in my muscle gain and definition. I've lost almost 20 pounds though. I've been eating more and lifting heavier the last couple of weeks, making that last push.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I swear, every other post in this thread is, "can I just do the program and continue to eat like a pig?"

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
first 4 weeks completed, i can already see a difference but not a big one. ill post pic tomorrow

Angry Grimace said:
I swear, every other post in this thread is, "can I just do the program and continue to eat like a pig?"

Heh...it seems silly to me to do this. I would feel like I'm just wasting my time. I have a very "all or nothing" attitude when it comes to fitness, though.

nubbe

I have been doing the work out with caffeine supplements for a few weeks.

The caffeine pills really boost my performance. I take 250mg when I wake up and another 250mg later in the evening before I workout. The pump I get and my endurance is crazy compared to a "clean" set. I'm also much more eager to do the work out. It makes me feel like a horny energizer bunny and the euphoria afterwards is great.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
neos said:
In average, how much time a day does you guys give to the program?
90 minutes.

the workouts themselves are a bit shorter, but yoga is long. I've stalled around day 45 for a couple weeks again. DAMNIT. today I start back.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Kosmo said:

I think I eat pretty sensibly, have no interest in tracking my diet, and am not overweight - I'm 5'10" and hover around 178-181lbs. Really just looking for get a little definition and add some strength.

Started off at right around the same weight as you (I'm also 5'10) and I ended up at 165 lbs. Didn't follow the diet at all.

On a somewhat related note, I just did Chest & Back for the first time in about 3-4 weeks and it crushed the shit out of me.

andycapps

IGotBillySoSpooked said:
Started off at right around the same weight as you (I'm also 5'10) and I ended up at 165 lbs. Didn't follow the diet at all.

On a somewhat related note, I just did Chest & Back for the first time in about 3-4 weeks and it crushed the shit out of me.

I did Back and Biceps last night and it did the same to me. Was a good thing, but hard to make it through those.

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
First time doing Core Synergistics today -
From about ten minutes in, I was already sweating and from then on it was Niagara Falls. I can't hold all the planks right now but I love this workout.
I think I'll do this instead of Kenpo from now on

Oh and yay for having Pam, Adam and Dreya in one video. Awesome :)

So, I started up P90X today. Did the Chest & Back workout as well as AbRipper X. Damn, that was tougher than anticipated. I kept up fine for round 1 of Chest & Back, but round 2 was killer. The pull up stuff was fine, but the pushups were just brutal, other than the regular pushups, I was collapsing after four or five. The AbRipper X workout was also hard for me to keep up with, but I managed for some of the exercises. Well, I did my best, I'll get better in time.

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
SUBZERO-08 said:
So, I started up P90X today. Did the Chest & Back workout as well as AbRipper X. Damn, that was tougher than anticipated. I kept up fine for round 1 of Chest & Back, but round 2 was killer. The pull up stuff was fine, but the pushups were just brutal, other than the regular pushups, I was collapsing after four or five. The AbRipper X workout was also hard for me to keep up with, but I managed for some of the exercises. Well, I did my best, I'll get better in time.

If you're like me - by next week, you'll be able to do 10 in a row and go 'damn check me out w/ my slightly less puny arms'

Norua

Banned
Hi everyone !

I'm currently in phase 1 of the program and I have a question regarding the whole thing. I won't be able to continue the program in July - 4 to 30 to be exact -, and that's exactly when I'm supposed to do/end phase 3.

So my question is :
should i stop at the end of phase 2, leave during July, and then begin phase 3 when I'll come back OR should i skip every recovery week (3 weeks total) and be able to complete the program in 69 days just in time before i leave ?

(I already asked IGotBillySoSpooked, who advised me to go for option n°1 but i just had the other idea so i wanted to hear everyone on this).
I also want to say that I'm going to do the program a second time after that. And for those who wonders : no i really can't do the program during July. I'm an archaeologist and I'll be pretty much living in a tent at the top of a mountain for the whole month.

-Babyteks- said:
On Phase 1 Week 3 Day 6 - Kenpo day
I hate Kenpo day so much, I usually do another video instead and frankly I wish I'd skipped it again today. I thought I'd like it cause I used to do Judo for a long while but this workout is just horrendous, I hate the rushed movements & I feel like an absolute dork the entire time.

Urgh -

On the plus side, I've been surprising myself every day that I get up and do the day's video :)
Haven't noticed any weight changes (in 3 weeks, is this about right?) but I'm def stronger so yay.
Last 3 weeks is where the maximum amount of weight loss occurs. Out of the 20 lbs I dropped. 12 or so occurred in the last 3 weeks.

My workout is now a completely bizarre but wholly satisfying hybrid of P90X, Insanity and running.

I've been doing a somewhat modified version of the Fitbomb P90X/Insanity hybrid, but I've also been doing a good 3.5-4 mile run every morning.

I really like it. The morning run really picks me up for the day and the P90X/Insanity stuff makes for a great evening workout.

Ydahs

Is there a 'try before you buy' demo available online. Don't exactly have the money right now so I'd rather try to see if I can cope around my three days of other sport commitments.

Simplet

Is there a good reason why ab ripper is always on the same day as the resistance work-outs? Or is it just so that you don't do abs twice on yoga-day?

I HATE doing ab ripper after the regular work-outs, I'm pretty sure I've never done it right after, not even once. I usually do it on cardio day, especially now that I don't do the P90x cardio any more. Is it bad for some reason?

By the way, did some of you guys find some ways to make ab ripper more difficult? I think I remember someone asking about that, but I don't think anyone responded at the time. I do 30 reps of everything now, it's a bit hard to do more than that and keep up with the video. I think I also remember someone saying the P90X+ ab workout was easier than the regular one?

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
Gully State said:
Last 3 weeks is where the maximum amount of weight loss occurs. Out of the 20 lbs I dropped. 12 or so occurred in the last 3 weeks.

Ugh, that kind of sucks. It'd be nice to see a little something every week.
Oh well :)

I3rand0

I just finished Week 11 Plyo. Maybe it's just me, but this seems to be the only workout I have actually gotten worst at as I've went through the program. In the first phase, plyo was such an easy workout for me. Now, I struggle to keep up and have to take breaks during the middle of some exercises. Anyone else having the same trouble? Also, I'm doing this on days after I've been at work for 8 hours. So maybe that can attribute to some of my issues and I should probably do this on my next go through on weekends instead.

first time doing plyo and lol
KuGsj.gif

Top Bottom