• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

andycapps

Chinese Electric Batman said:
Aren't Plyometrics in general supposed to not be overly tiring?

They're supposed to be aerobic, not anaerobic.

I've never used P90X though, so maybe it's intentional.

Haha, I think they're the toughest part of P90X. Your whole lower body gets a pretty ridiculous workout, but you're doing so much and so quickly that it can make you sick. There are only a few short breaks, and at least in the early weeks, they're not enough. It's hard enough for the people doing it, and they've been through the P90X programs multiple times.

Orgen

Maybe it's because I trained for a half marathon last year but I'm in my second week now and in Plyo I don't pause the video and can keep the exercises without any problems :|

I've heard that Insanity Plyo is hardcore... maybe I should try it when I finish P90X.

FOOTE

Orgen said:
Maybe it's because I trained for a half marathon last year but I'm in my second week now and in Plyo I don't pause the video and can keep the exercises without any problems :|

I've heard that Insanity Plyo is hardcore... maybe I should try it when I finish P90X.
That's not really surprising. Plyo became one of the easiest workouts for me. If you're in excellent shape already, or when you get in great shape during P90X Plyo becomes much easier. I actually started doing Plyo in the mornings, and my scheduled workout in the evening.

Orgen

FOOTE said:
That's not really surprising. Plyo became one of the easiest workouts for me. If you're in excellent shape already, or when you get in great shape during P90X Plyo becomes much easier. I actually started doing Plyo in the mornings, and my scheduled workout in the evening.

Yeah I know. The surprising thing for me has been reading the comments of people pausing the video every 10 minutes. I'm not in excellent shape by any means (I'm a normal guy, maybe a little "runner type" if this makes any sense) and there are exercises that I can't do right now (like some exercises from Yoga X because I'm flexible like a rock! :D) but I hope to do some day!

Plyo everyday? Are you like a cat now? ;)

FOOTE

Orgen said:
Yeah I know. The surprising thing for me has been reading the comments of people pausing the video every 10 minutes. I'm not in excellent shape by any means (I'm a normal guy, maybe a little "runner type" if this makes any sense) and there are exercises that I can't do right now (like some exercises from Yoga X because I'm flexible like a rock! :D) but I hope to do some day!

Well, my caves are looking purdy.

Articate

Banned
FOOTE said:
Well, my caves are looking purdy.

An hour of aerobic cardio will push you into catabolism, thus be detrimental to your muscles. Look back to some posts by me and Clott - we talk about why too much cardio can be detrimental to both losing weight and gaining muscle.

D23

IGotBillySoSpooked said:
Is Insanity plyo much harder than P90X plyo?

If Plyo X is a 5 on a scale of 1-10...where does Insanity Plyo rate?

insanity plyo is 8.. but wait for it... Insanity MAX internal plyo is 10

IGotBillySoSpooked said:
I don't follow the diet and I still get fantastic results. Don't let the cost or taste of food deter you from starting the program.

Maybe get some whey protein. I use Syntha-6, but there are cheaper options out there.

But do you follow a diet to begin with or do you just eat what you want?

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
I was watching Last Action Hero on blu-ray last night and was shocked to see our very own Tony Horton in the movie. He's an extra in the police station.

Oh, and P90X is fantastic. I'll be starting it again next month.

FOOTE

Articate said:
An hour of aerobic cardio will push you into catabolism, thus be detrimental to your muscles. Look back to some posts by me and Clott - we talk about why too much cardio can be detrimental to both losing weight and gaining muscle.
I don't do it every day.

rkn

Feels like Week 1 all over again, I skipped Legs & Back last week, paying for it now, my whole lower half has been sore for 2 days! Don't skip Legs & Back people.

Only 3 weeks left for me, still have a lot to lose around the waist...

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
BankaiZaraki said:
But do you follow a diet to begin with or do you just eat what you want?

Pretty much just eat what I want.

Orgen said:

You should see him play hoops, man.

That is one of Tony's craziest comments, in my book. Oh, I'll be a better basketball player? I knew there was a reason I was doing this.

That said, I did get rim on a 10 foot hoop two weeks ago (I'm 5'10"). Can't dunk, though.

Simplet

Reading a bit more of this thread I realize everyone seems to be taking supplements of some kind. Are those for people who have difficulty gaining mass?

I've been improving pretty steadily (posted my numbers last page) and I never even gave too much of a thought to supplements. For the recovery drink I just drink some milk. Can taking protein powder or whatever make me get faster results or is it mostly for people who can't get muscles with normal food?

andycapps

Simplet said:
Reading a bit more of this thread I realize everyone seems to be taking supplements of some kind. Are those for people who have difficulty gaining mass?

I've been improving pretty steadily (posted my numbers last page) and I never even gave too much of a thought to supplements. For the recovery drink I just drink some milk. Can taking protein powder or whatever make me get faster results or is it mostly for people who can't get muscles with normal food?

Well you're looking at 8 grams'ish of protein for a glass of milk. The protein shakes I do have 24 grams of protein per serving, and I do those twice a day, plus my other protein throughout the day. Protein isn't necessarily just for mass, but for repairing the muscles post workout. There are different types of protein and other minerals and amino acids in the mixes that will give you more mass, or more lean muscle. I'm using a kind that's designed to give me more lean muscle. If you're wanting mass, you could do that, but if you're doing P90X, you're probably not going for mass.

Articate

Banned
Simplet said:

If you're able to get 1 gram protein per pound every day, you're doing a good job. Even though I'm an advocate of getting protein from where you get protein, you'd need to eat around 5 chickens a day (or whatever), which isn't that feasable. Instead I have protein-heavy food throughout the day, but I have a protein shake just after my workout.

But there's another reason why it's important to get protein after working out, and not just drinking some milk. Because unless you're drinking closer to half a gallon of milk, you're not getting everything out of your workout. The body is in sponge-mode 15-45 minutes after a workout. It means it's super ready to get some protein and build muscles with it (which makes ample sense, since this would be a hunter in the evolutionary days, and he'd "work out" while hunting his pray, then eat it). There was a study, there's a link on wikipedia, about two groups. One group had protein throughout the day, the other had most its protein just before and after workout. The latter group had twice as good progress as the first group, so it definitely should not be overlooked. So this type of supplements are not for people that want to gain mass, but just for people that want to get everything out of their workout. Stuff like creatine, on the other hand, is different.

Also, consider this. You're doing a crazy hard workout. If you're dieting at the same time to lose weight, your body is being pushed to its absolute limit. It doesn't like that, so it's gonna start looking for ways to preserve itself. In short, it means that if you're not getting enough protein and energy, your body's gonna start taking down muscle aswell as fat. A good diet is crucial to not losing 4 pounds of muscle while you're losing 10 pounds of fat.

EDIT: Yeah, it was you I gave the dieting tips to on the last page. You definitely want to be aiming at a high protein, low carb diet (don't restrict your fat intake. Or especially not saturated fat. It's not gonna make you fat, and it's good for you) - that way you're certain you preserve your muscle while efficiently losing weight.

EDIT2: Off to do some Yoga for me :> (hello Recovery week)

andycapps

Articate said:
If you're able to get 1 gram protein per pound every day, you're doing a good job. Even though I'm an advocate of getting protein from where you get protein, you'd need to eat around 5 chickens a day (or whatever), which isn't that feasable. Instead I have protein-heavy food throughout the day, but I have a protein shake just after my workout.

But there's another reason why it's important to get protein after working out, and not just drinking some milk. Because unless you're drinking closer to half a gallon of milk, you're not getting everything out of your workout. The body is in sponge-mode 15-45 minutes after a workout. It means it's super ready to get some protein and build muscles with it (which makes ample sense, since this would be a hunter in the evolutionary days, and he'd "work out" while hunting his pray, then eat it). There was a study, there's a link on wikipedia, about two groups. One group had protein throughout the day, the other had most its protein just before and after workout. The latter group had twice as good progress as the first group, so it definitely should not be overlooked. So this type of supplements are not for people that want to gain mass, but just for people that want to get everything out of their workout. Stuff like creatine, on the other hand, is different.

Also, consider this. You're doing a crazy hard workout. If you're dieting at the same time to lose weight, your body is being pushed to its absolute limit. It doesn't like that, so it's gonna start looking for ways to preserve itself. In short, it means that if you're not getting enough protein and energy, your body's gonna start taking down muscle aswell as fat. A good diet is crucial to not losing 4 pounds of muscle while you're losing 10 pounds of fat.

EDIT: Yeah, it was you I gave the dieting tips to on the last page. You definitely want to be aiming at a high protein, low carb diet (don't restrict your fat intake. Or especially not saturated fat. It's not gonna make you fat, and it's good for you) - that way you're certain you preserve your muscle while efficiently losing weight.

EDIT2: Off to do some Yoga for me :> (hello Recovery week)

Is there any truth to the rumor/theory that too much protein is bad on your kidneys as they're only able to digest so much? Honest question here, told my mom the workout that I'm doing as well as the diet and as mothers do, she got concerned and brought that up.

Articate

Banned
andycapps said:
Is there any truth to the rumor/theory that too much protein is bad on your kidneys as they're only able to digest so much? Honest question here, told my mom the workout that I'm doing as well as the diet and as mothers do, she got concerned and brought that up.

There have been no studies that show any signs of stress on the kidneys of healthy individuals with a high (1 gram per pound) protein diet. Again, that is no signs. You'd get more kindey stress by eating a big mac, and anyone that sprinkles salt on their food will be causing more stress to their diets than one on high protein. But to make sure you stay healthy, just keep drinking water. It'll make sure your kidneys stay healthy.

It has been linked to an accelerated loss of kidney functions in those with failing kidneys, but that would be true of anything that goes through your kidneys. People would probably have more health benefits by reducing salt and increasing protein, even with failing kidneys.

andycapps

Articate said:
There have been no studies that show any signs of stress on the kidneys of healthy individuals with a high (1 gram per pound) protein diet. Again, that is no signs. You'd get more kindey stress by eating a big mac, and anyone that sprinkles salt on their food will be causing more stress to their diets than one on high protein. But to make sure you stay healthy, just keep drinking water. It'll make sure your kidneys stay healthy.

It has been linked to an accelerated loss of kidney functions in those with failing kidneys, but that would be true of anything that goes through your kidneys. People would probably have more health benefits by reducing salt and increasing protein, even with failing kidneys.

That's as I thought, it sounded like one of those hokey studies that was done 20 years ago and disproven, but nobody paid attention to that, they just kept repeating the old study.

FWIW, this is kind of gross, but since starting this diet, it seems that I have a lot less "waste." Like, a lot less. I do drink plenty of water, and I guess it makes sense that my body is pretty much just consuming what I feed it and there isn't so much waste since I cut out a lot of the junk.

Articate said:
The body is in sponge-mode 15-45 minutes after a workout. It means it's super ready to get some protein and build muscles with it (which makes ample sense, since this would be a hunter in the evolutionary days, and he'd "work out" while hunting his pray, then eat it).

I had always assumed this too, but that makes you wonder: why are recovery drinks 3-to-1 carbs to protein?

Articate

Banned
sparky2112 said:
I had always assumed this too, but that makes you wonder: why are recovery drinks 3-to-1 carbs to protein?

It's 3 times more carbs than protein? That would make 150g carbs to 50g protein. Sounds strange. I don't use that. I got a protein shake brand called "Natural Whey". No artifical sweetners or artificial things. Cleanest one I could find.

Remember that your body needs some carbs also before and after working out. This has to do with the way that stuff is stored within your muscles, which makes you able to release more energy during workout, and have a more efficient recovery. Those that are out for losing weight should get a lot of protein, and I aim for 20-40 grams of carbs before and after my workout. If you're a top athlete, you'll be wanting to get A LOT more carbs, as you're interested in recovering best and fittest, not to lose weight.

Simplet

God damn I had seen this 1g of protein per pound rule before but I had never bothered to check what this represents in actual food. This is utter madness. 25 eggs? A fucking kilo of cashew nuts? 5.5 liters of milk? Kill me now

How come I've been able to more or less reach my goals here? I'm pretty sure I was NOT eating 25 eggs a day. Even worse I've been doing a lot of intermittent fasting (I actually enjoy it for some reason) , so for every day where I don't eat do I need to eat twice as much protein the day before? I'd have to start to buy my meat hole pigs at a time. By the way there is no protein in butter? What king of bullshit is that?

Simplet said:
God damn I had seen this 1g of protein per pound rule before but I had never bothered to check what this represents in actual food. This is utter madness. 25 eggs? A fucking kilo of cashew nuts? 5.5 liters of milk? Kill me now

How come I've been able to more or less reach my goals here? I'm pretty sure I was NOT eating 25 eggs a day. Even worse I've been doing a lot of intermittent fasting (I actually enjoy it for some reason) , so for every day where I don't eat do I need to eat twice as much protein the day before? I'd have to start to buy my meat hole pigs at a time. By the way there is no protein in butter? What king of bullshit is that?

What type of IF'ing are you doing and what is your goal? The bare minimum is 1g protein/lb but if you are trying to get bigger, you would eat more. I suggest eating more even if you are trying to lose fat because you want to preserve your muscle.

Milk, cottage cheese, tuna, eggs, meats, whey protein can all help you achieve that. I can easily get 250g while on a 2400 calorie diet. Just have to eat smarter.

LJ11

How's Isopure as a protein supplement? Pretty sure a buddy of mine, dude is ripped, mentioned it but I'm not 100% positive. Would ask him but he's overseas, still hasn't replied to my message.

My diet is pretty decent I'll just add more eggs/tuna/chicken to up the protein, mix in a shake and I should be alright, I'm a 160 soaking wet.

Articate said:
It's 3 times more carbs than protein? That would make 150g carbs to 50g protein. Sounds strange.

Well, instead of the official P90X recovery drink, folks here (some) were touting chocolate milk as pretty much the same thing. And the magic formual for both is 3-to-1, which implies that you need carbs, not protein immediately post-workout. Doesn't make any sense to me either, but there you have it...

Articate

Banned
sparky2112 said:
Well, instead of the official P90X recovery drink, folks here (some) were touting chocolate milk as pretty much the same thing. And the magic formual for both is 3-to-1, which implies that you need carbs, not protein immediately post-workout. Doesn't make any sense to me either, but there you have it...

Yeah, there are those who say that. But it's not for dieting. It's for heavy lifters that are maintaining their weight. If you want to lose weight at the same time you need a high protein, low carb diet. Or you should be going for it, anyway. But that doens't mean no carbs, because the body needs carbs. But it's good to remember that fruits are ample in carbs.

Articate said:
Yeah, there are those who say that. But it's not for dieting. It's for heavy lifters that are maintaining their weight. If you want to lose weight at the same time you need a high protein, low carb diet. Or you should be going for it, anyway. But that doens't mean no carbs, because the body needs carbs. But it's good to remember that fruits are ample in carbs.
Keep in mind, i'm just talking the hour either side of a workout. I'm all about high protein, low carb; I just find it strange that these programs call for a post workout drink that is high in carbs relative to protein.

Articate

Banned
sparky2112 said:
Keep in mind, i'm just talking the hour either side of a workout. I'm all about high protein, low carb; I just find it strange that these programs call for a post workout drink that is high in carbs relative to protein.

Me too, man. Me too. Sounds like an athlete's recovery, not a growing, leaning man's recovery.

DavidRSM

Neo Member
Hey Everyone... I've now finished P90X a 2nd time, bringing my total transformation to 10 months (started at the gym before finding P90X).

Here is the new video... crank up the music. It's Linkin park :)

My P90X results video

My first round was all about losing body fat and I lost quite a bit.
Starting weight was 205 lbs / 25% body fat on day 1 (before gym and p90x).
After gym and P90X, my weight was 177 lbs and 9.4% body fat.

My second round was all about adding mass. I went up to 188.5 lbs and 10.3% body fat, where I am now.

My next goal will be to lose more body fat.

I logged everything I ate and all the supplements I took. I'd be happy to share or answer any questions.

My transformation totally shocked my family and friends and there are dozens of them doing P90X now... I'm paying it forward to anyone who wants to change their life.

Tony Horton even featured my first video on his facebook wall about a month ago.

Day-0-Day-300-Stacked.jpg

Maximus.

DavidRSM said:
Hey Everyone... I've now finished P90X a 2nd time, bringing my total transformation to 10 months (started at the gym before finding P90X).

My P90X results video

My second round was all about adding mass. I went up to 188.5 lbs and 10.3% body fat, where I am now.

I logged everything I ate and all the supplements I took. I'd be happy to share or answer any questions.

My transformation totally shocked my family and friends and there are dozens of them doing P90X now... I'm paying it forward to anyone who wants to change their life.

Tony Horton even featured my first video on his facebook wall about a month ago.

\

whoa that's you in that video!? I saw one of your other videos ages ago and it made me get back into the routine after stopping for a while!

DavidRSM

Neo Member
Fraull said:
whoa that's you in that video!? I saw one of your other videos ages ago and it made me get back into the routine after stopping for a while!

YUP... someone told me my 1st video was being discussed here a few months ago.. so I stopped by. You guys are so active and INTO p90x, it's fun seeing the same level of excitement that I have for it.

I'm glad I could inspire you to get back into it...

David

DavidRSM said:

My P90X results video

Wow, that's really impressive, man. I need to figure out what I am doing wrong. I've been through P90X 2.5 times now, and I never got results like that.

DavidRSM

Neo Member
ArachosiA 78 said:
Wow, that's really impressive, man. I need to figure out what I am doing wrong. I've been through P90X 2.5 times now, and I never got results like that.

It's all about nutrition man..

1) The right daily calorie goal
2) Hitting the right protein levels
3) Avoiding certain foods

Check out my site for details on what I eat and how to set your calorie goal:

P90X Nutrition Plan

David

I3rand0

I was supposed to do Legs and Back last night, but I had zero energy after work, so I decided to use my rest day and do it this morning. What a huge difference getting 10 hours of sleep will make before you workout. I think the next time I do P90x, I need to change the days I work out to take advantage of the weekends and use those for some of the harder exercises. Tomorrow is Kenpo and then on the my 2nd recovery week.

D23

DavidRSM said:
YUP... someone told me my 1st video was being discussed here a few months ago.. so I stopped by. You guys are so active and INTO p90x, it's fun seeing the same level of excitement that I have for it.

I'm glad I could inspire you to get back into it...

David

david be my coach lol!!
but yea amazing results man, im doing p90x+insanity hybrid right now.
its kicking my butt but im loving it so far!

i definitely need to work on my diet tho... its hard cause im a piss poor college student lol

DavidRSM

Neo Member
Battersea Power Station said:
Heh, do you work for BeachBody or for some marketing company working for them?

I have a normal job (Sr. Dir of Marketing for Experian) but I became a Beachbody coach after having awesome results. It's basically like an independent reseller of their products, which I do through my website. Once someone is on my team and they purchase any of the supplements or workouts, Beachbody pays a 25% commission. It's pretty nice. Anyone can become a Beachbody coach for $40 (one time fee) then $15/month.

You also get a 25% discount on everything as a coach. Some people actively coach others (like me), but many people do it just for the discount.

David

andycapps

I should have really taken pictures. I'm going into my third week now and still haven't done so. My wife noticed I've lost a lot of size in my back, but that it's "rock solid" in her words now. Music to my ears since I haven't noticed a huge loss on the scales, only 4 pounds. My love handles are shrinking, and my biceps are a little smaller as well but I believe that's also due to some fat going away. Anyway, week 3 starts tonight!

Top Bottom