• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which combat mechanic would you like to see come back?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’ve been think about Parasite Eve a lot lately. And how much I loved the combat. There are very few games where I loved engaging in as many random battles, just to keep the combat going. There are games that sort of do the combat, but I don’t find as fun. Baldurs Gate 3 comes to mind. While it too has turn based battles, I just don’t think it feels as fun. Maybe because turns in BG3 are so damn serious.

What gameplay mechanics do you want to see come back?

LectureMaster

Gold Member
The more deflect, the merrier.

JtKYElX.gif

f01ime11hggb1.gif

giphy.gif

03action_250.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Parasite eve is a good one OP.

I also loved customizing moves in legend of legaia.

Something in first person that play like dark messiah or condemned 1.

And something ala infamous with high mobility and traversal.

Last edited:

GrayDock

The Bloodborne counter is so satisfying...
The Vagrant Story combat is another thing that I miss...
And the gambit system in FFXII.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Honestly OG Guitar Hero and Kinect/Wii. It’s FUN when you’re drinking with friends, not ground breaking physics or graphics just that good ol fashioned 3 letter word.

It doesn’t need to be delivered as the most important aspect of a console but, there’s a reason I still have mine set up.

Paltheos

I came into say gambits too and to qualify it with "I know Unicorn Overlord used something like it" so that game's an option too if you haven't played it. It's a very different type of game from FFXII but quasi-gambits are indeed a core mechanic.

stickkidsam

Maybe this is more common than I think, but action games where attacks operate with physics. You get hit by a small attack then it won’t break your stance. Getting hit by a big enough attack however will send you flying into a wall using the physics engine rather than a preset animation.

I liked that aspect of Breath of the Wild. You might get sent off a cliff side depending on how far you go and save yourself at the last second… or not. Hell, ya might just play racketball with an enemies face. I just love deep physics in games.

I keep hoping for more environmental destruction and interaction in Action games. A modern equivalent of being able to throw people into the background windows, breaking shit and picking debris up as weapons etc. like in sidescrolling brawlers. I even get a kick out of the boxes and barrels in SFII.

Might as well add bonus stages to the list! Just these like cool touches of pure fun.

KàIRóS

Strafing in third person shooters instead of cover systems like in OG Syphon Filter
The vehicle combat mechanics from Sleeping Dogs
CQC from MGS3
Bullet Time like in Max Payne
Emphasis on dismembering like in Dead Space
2D combat in old Tales Of games
The weapon upgrading system in older LEVEL 5 RPGs (Dark Cloud 1 & 2, Rogue Galaxy)
Unique button inputs in JRPGs like how Limit Breaks used to work in FF

Hrk69

Gold Member
The Batman Arkham combat, expand it a bit more etc.

We kinda got it with the Sony Spider-Man games (which are very fun to play too).

Put in good AR challenges and it's automatically a 10/10 for me.

God I love the iceberg lounge. Especially in Arkham Knight.

Crayon

That thing that would happen in zone of the enders where you and enemies can kind of bounce off of each other in melee. Can't think of anything else that did that. You would bounce off each other a little but then immediately close back in.

I've been waiting for whip mechanics as good as the ones in Super Castlevania IV but I'm not holding my breath anymore. I can't believe more games haven't copied that and what's even more mind-boggling is that no Castlevania game has implemented them since.

To me that's still the best and most "true" Castlevania game and experience, still today.

IAmRei

- Vagrant story & parasite eve

hhxAE4v.jpeg

- and i would like to see valkyrie chronicle tps+turn based strategy applied elsewhere

M80VHsn.jpeg

There should be more, but imma kind of busy to write more atm

Yerd

I miss the OG Splinter Cell style stealth game, where you have to use darkness. I miss the Spies vs Mercs too. You probably can't even do it today, because everyone would be a cheat and crank up their brightness and gamma.

Manual grabs and manual technique in platforming.

tomb-raider-3d-platformer.gif

Think Mirror’s Edge, Old Prince of Persia, and old grid-based platformers like Tomb Raider.

There is a masterful skill ceiling/art to it, like playing manual in a racing game.

Magnetic/Automatic jumps and ledge grabbing took it all away from us. I feel like the reason some of these new action adventure games look like action corridors and boss rushes is because quite a few modern dev teams forgot about the skillful platforming that used to exist in between the fights.

Edit: I misread the thread title a bit but screw it, I’m keeping this post the same. I guess to make it all connect, I’ll also say mid-air combat and using the momentum to jump and fight other enemies mid-air.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I’ve been think about Parasite Eve a lot lately. And how much I loved the combat. There are very few games where I loved engaging in as many random battles, just to keep the combat going. There are games that sort of do the combat, but I don’t find as fun. Baldurs Gate 3 comes to mind. While it too has turn based battles, I just don’t think it feels as fun. Maybe because turns in BG3 are so damn serious.

What gameplay mechanics do you want to see come back?
Unique/interesting alt fire modes on weapons.

I miss the perfect dark/timesplitters/resistance style fps

Dr. Suchong

- Vagrant story & parasite eve

hhxAE4v.jpeg

- and i would like to see valkyrie chronicle tps+turn based strategy applied elsewhere

M80VHsn.jpeg

There should be more, but imma kind of busy to write more atm
Man, I want to play Valkyria chronicles again, but that spike at mission 7(?) always puts me off 😬

Environmental damage / destruction / interaction is one of those things that is promised but never fully achieved.

It's curious to realise many PS3/X360 titles did cool things like Dead Space, Metal Gear Rising, Binary Domain, Resistance or Vanquish.
I miss MGS4 Octocamo too for example. When playing MGO was funny because many times you actually passed by the enemy not noticing him.

Spent hours and hours tuning that thing.

Last edited:

Yerd

Manual grabs and manual technique in platforming.

Think Mirror’s Edge, Old Prince of Persia, and old grid-based platformers like Tomb Raider.

There is a masterful skill ceiling/art to it, like playing manual in a racing game.

Magnetic/Automatic jumps and ledge grabbing took it all away from us. I feel like the reason some of these new action adventure games look like action corridors and boss rushes is because quite a few modern dev teams forgot about the skillful platforming that used to exist in between the fights.

Edit: I misread the thread title a bit but screw it, I’m keeping this post the same. I guess to make it all connect, I’ll also say mid-air combat and using the momentum to jump and fight other enemies mid-air.
I'm with you. Similarly, climbing rock walls in games like GOW or Uncharted takes no brain power. All you do is point the joystick. There's no game to it. It would be nice if they would allow you the freedom to climb any wall, or even get lost on a cliff face in search of a viable path. I'm sure it would take considerable effort to design a map to allow something like that, though. Instead of giving you the one specially made wall that only serves as a forced dull moment.

I put it in the same category as a "stuck door tap button to open." No value at all to this in games. To me it actually detracts from a game.

Warspite

Neo Member
3rd person cover mechanics in FPS games, like the more recent deus ex games.

I don't want it in all FPS games it need to be the right type of game, I don't think it would suit something like COD for example but if the game play allows for a more varied approach I think it can add something.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I'd love to see FFXII's gambit system revisited. Unlocking coding that allows players to program AI companions was a really cool idea. Now that rpgs are becoming more and more action based, I'd love to see this gameplay mechanic return.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
3rd person cover mechanics in FPS games, like the more recent deus ex games.

I don't want it in all FPS games it need to be the right type of game, I don't think it would suit something like COD for example but if the game play allows for a more varied approach I think it can add something.
imo Rainbow Six Vegas did that pretty well, wouldn't mind seeing another one of those.

Top Bottom