• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

The Shadow said:
I wouldn't post here if I didn't think this was a good forum.

That kind of favoritism urks me though, always has, on or off-line. Pet peeve I guess.

My intentions were to state that it seems like he's been successful in putting an end to that kind of thing. From what I'm hearing and what I see now at least, I am pretty new.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The Shadow said:
Given the chances Dragona was given versus Red Scarlet, I'd say she's got a point tbh.

It's a fair point. Understand, though, that Dragona was a very senior part of the mod team, talking like ten years, and she did a lot of positive things with her mod actions as well. And she was one of the only people actively modding the gaming forum at the point where the Lyre situation came up, so I had to take all of that into account when I found out about it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Forkball said:
lyre made an Epic Mickey thread and banned anyone who discussed what console it might come to. This was during a time when the game was not announced for the Wii and the whole project itself was rather mysterious, so there was a lot of speculation. But lyre (I assume it was him, maybe not) handed out bans to anyone who said something ranging from, "I hope this comes to PS3" to "Epic Mickey for 32X?!" I said it would come to the DS and got a two month ban for "console preference bullshit." To me, there's a difference between port-begging (UGH why is this on the Wii? It would be much better on the HD consoles) and speculation or jokes about where it might end up.

Maybe the bans were over the top, but at the time port begging was really getting out of hand. Threads would devolve into port begging with no actual discussion about the games.

jamallinthesame said:
So, you guys have talked about the best exits: but which NeoGAF member has had the best entrance?

^__^

The Junior that bumped the "Welcome" thread to say thanks. Sadly, for him, the thread was a few months old and he got banned for bumping it.

spin for based mod
woop
LaserBuddha said:
lTjcG.png[img]
lTjcG.png
I should've had fire coming out of your eyes too, looking back at my work right now.

Dennis

Banned
Amir0x said:
Stump, charlequin and Opiate* are men of respect and intelligence. Minsc and Nirolak too. No hating these fine gentlemen! Not allowed.
You left out EatChildren.....how revealing!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Amir0x said:
n people for talking with me! I want to have real discussions with people. I only find discussions where people actually disagree with me interesting because it is in those discussions I learn something. It's not about proving someone wrong, it's about learning.
STOP RIGHT THERE. Who do you think you are you antagonizing antagonizer? Pushing people to the very fibers of their opinion on matters of visual interactive software! You think this is a Gaming Forum? Hello BUB, this is NeoGAF, you know what that stands for?

Newlyweds
Enjoying
Our
Grand
Affirmation of love and
Fine-dining

Not much room for discussion here. So take your talk elsewhere, here is the forum I have in mind.

Joking aside people can see your posting style as aggressive, I don't think you can deny that. Or at the very least they feel it is aggressive especially when there is the blood red showing off your name.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Mods talk huh? Ok.

I quite disliked amir0x at first but then he grew up on me.
Same story with Stump, he used to derail threads with his opinions when he became a mod now is a pretty good addition.

Nirolak and Kagari are like hard working bees. :D
Teknopathetic should learn to use the quote function!!! ;) He and Hitokage are good members of fighting game GAF.
Evilore is cool as long as you dont go all stupid on some PC thread.

Amir0x

Banned
DennisK4 said:
You left out EatChildren.....how revealing!

We are all humans. He is a mod now so me and him ALWAYS GET ALONG and NEVER DISAGREE under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES any more.

Just like me and all the other mods. We hold hands and shit. Second they join the insiders we french kiss and stuff. Make cakes for each other. No ill will

i don't even want to be a mod, i just want to have read access to the mod-only forums to see just how close to the edge my boarding is.

hey amirox can you change my tag

Mr_Brit

Banned
Since Evilore is being so forthcoming, I guess the only question left to ask is:

How much money do you make from GAF, Evilore?

This thread reminds me that I got into a fight with... I think it was either duckroll or Amir0x in the LOST thread. I was all like "come at me bro." Surprised I never got a temp ban for that. Whichever one of you it was, I'm glad they were the bigger man by ignoring that bullshit post I made.

Hey, blame space!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
siddx said:
Exactly what was needed. It was a thread full of idiots being idiots and getting away with it because mods had for whatever reason ignored it. When she finally dropped in, she found a thread full of posts that would have gotten members perma'd in any other thread.
If I recall, that was the incident where a bunch of posters thought it was okay to call her a *unt/bitch as long as it stayed hidden in their mega-thread.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Totally offtopic but mad props for not being English Nazis here.
I used to post in the QT3 forums and they bashed me all the time due my poor english (Both mods and users)

TheExodu5 said:
Teknopathetic would constantly beat me with his Nu spam in BlazBlue...he made me abuse my stick in anger.
Run that back! If you win hell use the quote function!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ive been wanting to get into an argument with opiate since i got here, but its hard to find him saying something unreasonable and i'd want that handicap. >_>

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
EviLore said:
I liked Scar quite a bit and had known her for a long time. Same with Dragona, for that matter. I have to keep all that as separate as I can from what is best for GAF, though, and that I take seriously.

Respect. Must be hard to have to make decisions that will more than likely affect a relationship with a member on a personal level.

I appreciate Amirox's presence here. Besides the reasons others have mentioned, he calls BS when he sees it. The most notable examples are Heavy Rain's brainless defenders ("I like the game because I turned my brain off") and DmC's hopelessly-optimistic defenders, who will dismiss any fugly that is DmC and plead for the better future by mindlessly praying for the better. He injected some much-needed depth to the discussion.

blame space said:
i don't even want to be a mod, i just want to have read access to the mod-only forums to see just how close to the edge my boarding is.

I honestly think after some of your posts brought up in this thread, you've reached Drinky/Wario64 status.

NewFresh

Amir0x said:
We are all humans. He is a mod now so me and him ALWAYS GET ALONG and NEVER DISAGREE under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES any more.

Just like me and all the other mods. We hold hands and shit. Second they join the insiders we french kiss and stuff. Make cakes for each other. No ill will

*Begins planning GAF MOD /fiction thread

Garjon

siddx said:
Exactly what was needed. It was a thread full of idiots being idiots and getting away with it because mods had for whatever reason ignored it. When she finally dropped in, she found a thread full of posts that would have gotten members perma'd in any other thread.
Yes this is exactly what I've heard and it makes no sense. Why would the discussion derail into something that would bring up so much vitriol? This is why I'd like a proper story from the side of the Football/Futbol fans as well.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fersis said:
Totally offtopic but mad props for not being English Nazis here.
I used to post in the QT3 forums and they bashed me all the time due my poor english (Both mods and users)

I'm pretty sure we got off topic a long time ago. ;)

GAF has certainly helped me post in more coherent sentences, at the very least. No more leet speek.

why is this even under discussion? the BEST exit was MAF's, by far: instead of the admins banning him for some evilore/hito image trolls, they, in their irritation, decided to make a minor change to the UBB code so he -- in a special group or profile category -- could create threads and post yet no-one but the mods could see his topics and remarks, like he was completely invisible. he quickly caught on to this and SPAMMED the forum with modbait posts, they banned him which flipped his account to a standard profile, and all of his troll threads suddenly became visible. THAT is how you go out. besides, he was deadminned for deleting some mod wah-wah thread (albeit a wah-wah thread from a then-mod personality i liked, jinx).

hard fuckin' core. free demi!

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Amir0x said:
What! This is like the opposite of how stump behaved!

Stump, charlequin and Opiate* are men of respect and intelligence. Minsc and Nirolak too. No hating these fine gentlemen! Not allowed.

I was the one who nominated Opiate! I am particularly proud of him!

Maybe I'm letting isolated incidents obscure my memories, but I seem to remember quite a few threads when he was freshly minted where he'd drop into a thread for a few pages and just be a humorless prick to posters while almost daring them to get angry and be banned. And perhaps he was just being sarcastic and I didn't catch it, but he mentioned having hundreds of posters on ignore before becoming a mod, which made me question whether he had the patience and tolerance to be a mod. But as I said he could have been joking.

But regardless, like I said, he's become a very good mod since then.

HiResDes

blame space said:

YAY! You're back

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Amir0x said:
Plus mods can't change tags.

The More You Know™.
Well, you can change tags into one thing. :O

Wazzim said:
What? Only Evilore?
Only Admins

Bishopt and Dragona both did fishing threads, and I know Hito hands them out in the anime thread from time to time.

snesfreak

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
I'd make a terrible mod. My debate skills have eroded over time, I'd feel bad about banning people, and while I enjoy gaming, my knowledge of the hobby is nowhere near as extensive as it would need to be.

But I would ban FMT just for the fuck of it.
But then who would tell us about their Alyssa Milano scat fantasies?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
siddx said:
Maybe I'm letting isolated incidents obscure my memories, but I seem to remember quite a few threads when he was freshly minted where he'd drop into a thread for a few pages and just be a humorless prick to posters while almost daring them to get angry and be banned. And perhaps he was just being sarcastic and I didn't catch it, but he mentioned having hundreds of posters on ignore before becoming a mod, which made me question whether he had the patience and tolerance to be a mod. But as I said he could have been joking.

Waaaaaaaaaaaat

Stump? Our stump? Not evil goatee alternate universe stump?

Drinky Crow said:
why is this even under discussion? the BEST exit was MAF's, by far: instead of banning him for some evilore/hito image trolls, he actually got them, in their irritation, to make a minor change to the UBB code so he -- in a special group or profile category -- could create threads and post yet no-one but the mods could see his topics and remarks -- like he was completely invisible. he quickly caught on to this and SPAMMED the forum with modbait posts, they banned him which flipped his account to a standard profile, and all of his troll threads suddenly became visible. THAT is how you go out. besides, he was deadminned for deleting some mod wah-wah thread (albeit a wah-wah thread from a then-mod personality i liked, jinx).

hard fuckin' core. free demi!

:bow MAF :bow2

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
LaserBuddha said:
A couple of months ago I saw Stumpokapow display proactive/positive influence, instead of the typical reactionary, silent assassin stuff, and made a point to PM him/her to thank him/her for it.
Yeah, Stump and Opiate in particular, are very good at encouraging positive discussion most of the time.
Atramental said:
There was another mod I remember vaguely.

Vennt? I think I saw him go on a banning spree in this one thread and he disappeared shortly after that.
I remember him mentioning how "Old Vennt" was back, and he proceeded with some strict modding.

Garjon

shintoki said:
Well, you can change tags into one thing. :O

Only Admins

Bishopt and Dragona both did fishing threads, and I know Hito hands them out in the anime thread from time to time.
EDIT: Just checked, I'm wrong. I thought Hito was a forum admin.

Opiate I'm sorry I said that was the worst thread I had ever seen. It was only hyperbole. You're really probably the best posters here.

Sometimes the arbitrary arguing here just makes me sad and seeing that thread sent me over the edge one night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom