• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which sportsmen/sportswomen do you idolize?

Status
Not open for further replies.
57264a.jpg

he is the definition of a perfect player, he's got two gifted feet and a true footballers attitude

maradona.jpg

he would be my biggest idol in anything if he knew how to take care of himself. he's on cocaine and has serious weight problems but a footballer, he was like a god.

espn_h9.jpg

I dont know what she does but I'd hit her.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Drinky Crow said:
None. My definition of a retard implicitly suggests the idolization of sports "heroes".

You've always been my hero.

DMczaf

Sometimes I dream...

Michael_Jordan_03_ASG_Action_jpg.jpg

That he is me...

Michael_Jordan.jpg

You've got to see that's how I dream to be

Michael%20Jordan%202.jpg

I dream I move, I dream I groove

Michael%20Jordan%201.jpg

Like Mike

jo_nodunk_jpg.jpg

If I could Be Like Mike

mj.jpg

Cloudy

Banned
v022826A.jpg

Will be >>>>>>> MJ. You will all believe next season :)

240brian_griese.jpg

He'll get his confidence back. You'll see >_<

p1_manning_si.jpg

Superbowl MVP. Guaranteed!!!

mem5.jpg

Please don't join Snaq in Miami :(

The great thing abour Eric is although he was a brilliant footballer he's also a pretty interesting guy. He's French, he paints, he reads/writes poetry, he fucks around with the english press. A genius of our time

lomu002.jpg

He may have had defensive frailties, but that aside, damned if he didn't represent everything I like about sport.

It's so sad to see him now...

evil solrac v3.0 said:
you're kidding about derrick thomas right?

Uh, no. 11 years with KC, 9 time pro bowler, and set all kind of KC records. Only missed 6 games in his career, 4 safties, and had 128 sacks/524 tackles. Oh yeah, 7 FUCKING SACKS IN ONE GAME, BITCHES. DT Was the man.

Hooker

cruijff-j_11.jpg

For me, the best footballer to ever grace the face of the earth. Yes, Maradona is/was more gifted, but the way they both decided to live their lives also counts in my book.

Probably the most knowledgeble man in the game, and leader of Clockwork Orange '74

Johan Cruijff

Cerebral Palsy said:
Uh, no. 11 years with KC, 9 time pro bowler, and set all kind of KC records. Only missed 6 games in his career, 4 safties, and had 128 sacks/524 tackles. Oh yeah, 7 FUCKING SACKS IN ONE GAME, BITCHES. DT Was the man.

no... i was asking about the R.I.P part..... giving a guy a scare like that.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
no... i was asking about the R.I.P part..... giving a guy a scare like that.

Derrick Thomas broke his back in a car accident on his way to the airport, while heading to St. Louis for the NFC Championship game. Car rolled 3 times after losing control of it in a snowstorm. He died 16 days later on Feb 8, 2000. :(

Dilbert

I respect Jordan's competitive greatness ON the court, but off the court, he's pretty scuzzy.

Y'know, the funny thing about that seven-sack game that Derrick Thomas had is that no one EVER talks about the ending anymore. KC was playing Seattle, and their quarterback -- Dave Krieg -- was sacked NINE times that day, including seven by Thomas. However, on the last play of the game, with Seattle trailing 16-10, Thomas was unable to sack Krieg even though he had BOTH hands on him. Krieg threw a touchdown pass, and Seattle won, 17-16.

score91.jpg

"Respect, bitches."

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Drinky Crow said:
None. My definition of a retard implicitly suggests the idolization of sports "heroes".
May I second that.

Admiration and appreciation of a player's skill is one thing, but I could never understand how people idolize and place heroic value on professional athletes. I guess that stems from my same feelings on sports that makes me wonder how someone could obsess over sports to the point where they keep track of every little statistic possible. Good god, isn't that taking sports fanaticism a bit too far?

That said, change 'idolize' in the title to something like "appreciate the skills and sportsmanship of" and I'm comfortable. :) :p

vangace

Meatpuppet said:
lomu002.jpg

He may have had defensive frailties, but that aside, damned if he didn't represent everything I like about sport.

It's so sad to see him now...

Lomu was the man, too bad he can't play now

Loki

Count of Concision
demon said:
May I second that.

Admiration and appreciation of a player's skill is one thing, but I could never understand how people idolize and place heroic value on professional athletes. I guess that stems from my same feelings on sports that makes me wonder how someone could obsess over sports to the point where they keep track of every little statistic possible. Good god, isn't that taking sports fanaticism a bit too far?

That said, change 'idolize' in the title to something like "appreciate the skills and sportsmanship of" and I'm comfortable. :) :p

I'm the same way. Believe it or not, despite my legendary MJ whoring, I've never had a single poster or trading card or jersey or anything of his (or anyone else). I just respect his skills as a ball player, that's it. I don't respect people just because of their station or occupation, unless it is inherently noble (like, say, social work etc.)-- sports definitely doesn't fall into that category. :p

Leon

demon said:
Admiration and appreciation of a player's skill is one thing, but I could never understand how people idolize and place heroic value on professional athletes.

You're right in that I wouldn't call any sportsman a "hero". But as far as placing heroic value on a player? It's easy. Lance Armstrong is one, for instance. Thomas Muster, to me, is another.

As far as "idolizing", it's even easier. Zidane to the French is a God. How else would you describe the person who single-handedly made them the best team in the world? Granted, that was a while ago, but even then, he's in his 30s now and can still compete with the youngest players out there. He's an amazing team player, and has tremendous sportsmanship. Not only that, but he's still as humble as you can possibly get. At least these are things that are worth idolizing. I'd rather have a sports idol than a media idol anyday. Idolizing a sportsman isn't just about his work, but very much about the attitude that comes with it.

Loki said:
I'm the same way. Believe it or not, despite my legendary MJ whoring, I've never had a single poster or trading card or jersey or anything of his (or anyone else). I just respect his skills as a ball player, that's it. I don't respect people just because of their station or occupation, unless it is inherently noble (like, say, social work etc.)-- sports definitely doesn't fall into that category. :p

But you have a gazillion tapes of MJ. Including multiple DVD's.

MASB

DMczaf, that was great. :)

As for Konex, keep dreaming about Kobe. ;)

For me, players I've admired, Nolan Ryan has to be at the top. I was a fan of his since I was a little kid. Other baseball players would be John Smoltz, Randy Johnson, Dale Murphy, etc. Other sports, Lance Armstrong, Wayne Gretzky, and Lilia Podkopayeva.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
a sportswriter rather than player, but if I strive to be like one person, it is, unquestionably:

kornheiser.jpg

Gibbo said:
Pfft. Forget Cantona...

ASCELEB.jpg

DAVID MAY SUPERSTAR GOT MORE MEDALS THAT SHEARER!!!!

You are my Solskjaer, my Ole Solskjaer,
You make me happy, when skies are grey,
Oh Alan Shearer, was fccking dearer,
So please don't take, my Solskjaer away.

:p i keed i keed. Git turned us down TWICE, but as a result we got Cantona and ole. thanks for that Alan.

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
baresi2.jpg

zidane.story.ap.jpg

ronaldo%5B1%5D.gif

David_Robinson_W_Trophy.JPG

Tim_Duncan_raises_MVP_Trophy_05.05.03.jpg

All five of them legends and role models on and off the pitch/court.

Agree 100% on the last 2(never heard of the others, don't follow soccer:)). I wish more pro athletes would follow their lead, both on and off of the court.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Cerebral Palsy said:

Didn't he have like 33 kids?

Also, CP, do you actually live in Kansas City? Ifso, wherabouts?

Minotauro said:
Didn't he have like 33 kids?

Also, CP, do you actually live in Kansas City? Ifso, wherabouts?

No, I was born in Salt Lake, and lived in California for a few years. I'm back in Salt Lake attending school now. When I was 13 I took the ride with Montana and never looked back.

Children: Burgandie and Derrick, Jr. of Miami, Florida; Derrion, Derrius, Robert and Micayla of Kansas City, Missouri; and Alexa of Lawrence, Kansas. He also put a lot of kids through college, and donated to charity heavily. He was a good man.

firex

brooklyngooner said:
JACKIE FUCKING ROBINSON who made it all possible
Yep!

I also really respect Ali for being not only the greatest, but an important cultural figure far beyond just boxing.

And Hank Aaron for being another "greatest," not just for shattering Babe Ruth's record, but also for all of the danger he faced as he was approaching 715.

And Jesse Owens... I shouldn't have to explain why for him.

firex said:
Yep!

I also really respect Ali for being not only the greatest, but an important cultural figure far beyond just boxing.

And Hank Aaron for being another "greatest," not just for shattering Babe Ruth's record, but also for all of the danger he faced as he was approaching 715.

And Jesse Owens... I shouldn't have to explain why for him.

Agreed, all. Also Hank Greenberg, Sandy Koufax, and Curt Flood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom