• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White TX girls blame society for their racist rap about lynching black boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seesaw15

Come on guys who among us can honestly say you've never written and performed a song about killing one race while claiming you were the superior race? EVERYBODY does this. Kids will be kids. Over reaction. We've all said equally terrible things in private. 1st amendment.
/s

Takuan

Ooooooo man

"You racist fucking cracker bitch!"

!cbd-faq-croctears.jpg

commedieu

Banned
Come on guys who among us can honestly say you've never written and performed a song about killing one race while claiming you were the superior race? EVERYBODY does this. Kids will be kids. Over reaction. We've all said equally terrible things in private. 1st amendment.
/s

Whats weird, is that this is the defense. I'm shocked to find out how many people are genuinely, semi-bigots that don't realize it, or full bigots, that don't realize it. And chalk it up to being young and dumb.

I was young and dumb, that part of that was never being racist..? I don't get it.

Cedric

The girls, however, insist they are not bigoted.

Man, what's up with that statement and racist people? How can you be this openly racist but be scared to be called out? That's some dumb shit.

The girls, however, insist they are not bigoted.

Man, what's up with that statement and racist people? How can you be this openly racist but be scared to be called out? That's some dumb shit.
Being called a racist is the worst thing on earth..in fact, it's worst than being a racist :D

Takuan

Whats weird, is that this is the defense. I'm shocked to find out how many people are genuinely, semi-bigots that don't realize it, or full bigots, that don't realize it. And chalk it up to being young and dumb.

I was young and dumb, that part of that was never being racist..? I don't get it.

Did you grow up surrounded by racists or peers who routinely threw around racial jokes like it wasn't a big deal? That's the context, here.

Your statement is akin to saying "I was born poor and didn't resort to violence and crime - I don't get it" in reference to the reality of hood life.

Makonero

You were mocking a non-existent mob. With the worst choice of words possible.

Great irony brah.

Yeah bro you beat the shit out of that straw man. Soldier on...

Yep, I just love beating up strawmen. Women never get threats or attacked or shamed on the internet--

This will follow them for the rest of their lives and for that I am happy.

Should have been expelled.

shame their names weren't released

I'm was using hyperbolic irony. I'm not defending their racism, but don't tell me that if they had their names released that they wouldn't be getting the vengeful wrath of the so-called righteous via death threats and harassment.

qcf x2

I'm not sure if you're irony impaired or what, but I hope you understand what I was actually trying to say.

Well, it's hard to really know based on the brevity of your statement and the poor choice of words, but I'll take a stab at it:

This kind of stuff and the culture that encourages it is okay until it gets exposed, at which point it isn't okay, but we should turn the disgusting perpetrators into victims because you did stupid stuff in high school and you're sure that we all were racist bigots at some point, but we just never got exposed.

Is that it? TLDR; they're just kids, treat it like we always have and laugh about it and pretend that these issues will all go away someday?

Did you grow up surrounded by racists or peers who routinely threw around racial jokes like it wasn't a big deal? That's the context, here.

Your statement is akin to saying "I was born poor and didn't resort to violence and crime - I don't get it" in reference to the reality of hood life.

Lynching and hanging people from trees? That's a very specific and informed brand of racism that goes beyond just jokes.

Raistlin

The beginning of the "social era" was 2 years ago? Twitter wasn't as well known 2 years ago? Racism wasn't a big issue 2 YEARS AGO?

What the fuck am I reading here?
Disregarding the absurdity of said timeline, let's pretend it's actually correct. Does it matter? Their 'apology' is still tantamount to 'we're sorry we got caught'.

Nothing in their statement says they're actually sorry for how their words hurt anyone, nor that they acknowledge what they said is even wrong. They're literally only sorry it went viral and how the backlash impacts them. It's sick.

Makonero

Well, it's hard to really know based on the brevity of your statement and the poor choice of words, but I'll take a stab at it:

This kind of stuff and the culture that encourages it is okay until it gets exposed, at which point it isn't okay, but we should turn the disgusting perpetrators into victims because you did stupid stuff in high school and you're sure that we all were racist bigots at some point, but we just never got exposed.

Is that it? TLDR; they're just kids, treat it like we always have and laugh about it and pretend that these issues will all go away someday?

Oh no. I'm not saying it's okay to be racist. I am saying it's not okay to unleash internet mob justice either. Ultimately I hope these girls learn their lesson, but not through threats of violence or harassment. There's no excuse for being racist and neither is there any excuse for naming and shaming.

Yep, I just love beating up strawmen. Women never get threats or attacked or shamed on the internet--

I'm was using hyperbolic irony. I'm not defending their racism, but don't tell me that if they had their names released that they wouldn't be getting the vengeful wrath of the so-called righteous via death threats and harassment.

So they can't be shamed for being racists because they are women?

And that's the sad part; all people are, to some degree, products of their environments. We have to change environments to realize social progress. Chances are high that if you grew up surrounded by racist fucks, you too would be some manner of racist fuck.

Makonero

So they can't be shamed for being racists because they are women?

They shouldn't be shamed by the meat grinder that is the Internet regardless of their gender.

Edit: Because they are women, they are more likely to receive harassment on the Internet. Is that in dispute?

Takuan

Lynching and hanging people from trees? That's a very specific and informed brand of racism that goes beyond just jokes.

Again, consider the context. Besada confirmed that the school is in a community known for racism. Teens will parrot what they hear from others and attempt to take things to the next level; it's a common and normal circumstance.

And that's the sad part; all people are, to some degree, products of their environments. We have to change environments to realize social progress. Chances are high that if you grew up surrounded by racist fucks, you too would be some manner of racist fuck.
Exactly. You cannot begin to fix the problem without understanding how it forms. Assuming a moral high ground because you didn't grow up in a certain environment and concluding there's no reasonable excuse that they could behave how they did is asinine. Even the most extreme racists can have a change of heart - look up Daryl Davis' work, or even that self-professed redneck who posted a monologue on racism in America. If you aren't able to see things from a perspective other than your own, you cannot hope for progress.

People make mistakes.

Exhibit #1: Eminem's Racist Song Recorded in 1989
People here still consider him racist because of this track.

You're reading a lot into the situation, as if all three of those posts think they deserve some vigilante justice.

Again, consider the context. Besada confirmed that the school is in a community known for racism. Teens will parrot what they hear from others and attempt to take things to the next level; it's a common and normal circumstance.

People here still consider him racist because of this track.

I can see the argument for homophobic, but racist? Nahhhh...

They shouldn't be shamed by the meat grinder that is the Internet regardless of their gender.

Edit: Because they are women, they are more likely to receive harassment on the Internet. Is that in dispute?
They are more likely to receive harassment on the internet because they are fucking racist. I don't wish any violence upon them but I hope this goes into their school record for any colleges to see.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So how far should we go in shaming these people? Should we kick them out of any extra curricular activities they are in? How bout expelling them? Preventing them attending college? Bullying them until they lash out or commit suicide?

Sorry I just don't really understand how this is news. This isn't going to teach them anything, they are going to receive death threats, rape threats, insults and all of the awesome things the internet can think of. Its going to turn them into victims, instead of teaching them.

Of course what they said was wrong, but someone needs to sit them down and talk to them about racism, bigotry and the affects those have had on minorities in this country.

Siegcram

"Let's ignore something that actually happened because of something that might happen."

You should consider a career in politics with such airtight reasoning.

besada

Banned
To some degree -- and you're responsible for the degree. We choose or choose not to internalize the character of our upbringing. I was raised in the same place as these girls, in a MUCH more racist time, and learned that this sort of racism is vile ignorance. Giving people a pass because they grew up around racism is a disservice to all the men and women who also grew up in racist saturated culture but chose to eschew it.

captive

To some degree -- and you're responsible for the degree. We choose or choose not to internalize the character of our upbringing. I was raised in the same place as these girls, in a MUCH more racist time, and learned that this sort of racism is vile ignorance. Giving people a pass because they grew up around racism is a disservice to all the men and women who also grew up in racist saturated culture but chose to eschew it.
Ok, and had you figured it all out by age 14ish? Or more towards or after university, after being exposed to more ideas and people?

To some degree -- and you're responsible for the degree. We choose or choose not to internalize the character of our upbringing. I was raised in the same place as these girls, in a MUCH more racist time, and learned that this sort of racism is vile ignorance. Giving people a pass because theY grew up around racism is a disservice to all the men and women who also grew up in racist saturated culture but chose to eschew it.

You're right, but we all don't learn it at the same time. And some don't ever learn it.

besada

Banned
Ok, and had you figured it all out by age 14ish? Or more towards or after university, after being exposed to more ideas and people?
Yes, I'd figured out racism was ignorance by fourteen. So had lots of people I knew at the same age. We grew up in the seventies, where the discussion of racism was common, as it is now.
You're right, but we all don't learn it at the same time. And some don't ever learn it.
Right, and that's their responsibility, not their environment's. That's the issue.

Takuan

I can see the argument for homophobic, but racist? Nahhhh...

All it takes is one utterance. You have to be deeply racist in order to use the word; there's no other explanation. That was the gist of the stance.

Yes, I'd figured out racism was ignorance by fourteen. So had lots of people I knew at the same age. We grew up in the seventies, where the discussion of racism was common, as it is now.

Right, and that's their responsibility, not their environment's. That's the issue.
How vocal were you about it at the time, and were you made a social pariah for it? You're stronger than most just for going against the grain at the time.

_Ryo_

“At this time in our lives, racism was not the talk of the country nor had we ever witnessed the true power of social media, twitter was still fresh and we had never heard of anyone getting in trouble for posting anything on social media, it was the beginning of this social era,” said one of the girls in a letter written to classmates and teachers.

So they're admitting they're not sorry they're racist, they're just sorry they're getting cast negatively. WTF?

Also social media was hell as powerful two years ago as it is today, I mean... did the presidential elections and every other political and social issue from every other country in the past seven years not enlighten them about how powerful social media has become?

Fucking non-apology from racists.

If only there were more Besada's in the world it would be much better place. Unfortunately that's not the case so I expect to see new headlines like this every week.

Is expecting a 14 year-old to not actively endorse lynching in a song really setting the bar too high?

After the racist frat bus thread I would say the bar for racist whites under 25 would probably be somewhere halfway to the sun.

“At this time in our lives, racism was not the talk of the country nor had we ever witnessed the true power of social media, twitter was still fresh and we had never heard of anyone getting in trouble for posting anything on social media, it was the beginning of this social era,” said one of the girls in a letter written to classmates and teachers.

idk, 2013 doesn't seem too different to today in terms for people being caught for saying terrible things on social media.

jgwhiteus

I understand they were young and (clearly) stupid, but the video and lyrics are racist as crap, far beyond what most "stupid" kids would even think of doing.

I do think people who get into these situations never understand how to formulate an apology, because they're so busy defending themselves and denying their behavior: "I would never do that!", "I'm not like that!", "I wasn't raised like that!" Like, you did, you are, and you were.

No one wants to hear your excuses when the evidence is staring them in the face. So own up to it instead, and show how to move forward: "What I did was clearly awful, and I can in no way justify my behavior. I could try to explain where this behavior came from, but ultimately I can't lay the blame elsewhere and have to take responsibility for my words and actions, and in the end that won't change that what I did was racist, bigoted, and hurtful, and my conduct has shamed and disappointed my family and community. I can only say that I realize now that what I did was wrong, that I have been trying to unlearn the behaviors and attitudes that led to my actions, and that I'm working to be a different person today and am still growing. Even though you can't undo the past and this may follow me for the rest of my life, I hope the hurt I have caused with my actions will subside over time and people understand that people can change, and that others learn from my example that such actions are never acceptable and that all people deserve respect." etc.

People are more willing to accept an apology when you acknowledge your conduct and can show you'll do better in the future; denials and laying the blame elsewhere are non-starters.

captive

I don't think the discussion of racism is as common as you think it is. The only time I see it brought up is here and during national events of late. Other than that, generally white people really do think we live in a "post racial America."

However, as PackerinMN points out we all learn at different rates. For the same reasons we don't allow 18 year olds to drink, and they can't smoke till 18, nor vote, or are typically tried as an adult. Kids under the age 18 in general do not know all the consequences to their actions or often times capable of considering them. Simply saying "well I had figured it out by age x" doesn't mean everyone else does or has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom