• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White TX girls blame society for their racist rap about lynching black boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

J10

Banned
So you're ok with the potential rape and death threats that they will receive when their names leak? Two wrongs make a right, right?

Who's sending these hypothetical rape and death threats? The niggers they wanna see hanged? Why are you so preoccupied with the outrage instead of the racism?

Takuan

So you're ok with the potential rape and death threats that they will receive when their names leak? Two wrongs make a right, right?

Yes, speaking from personal experience in dealing with racists, yes it will typically make them feel the victim. As I have said for the third time now, the proper response to this should be someone that knows the girls should sit them down and teach them about the history of racism in America. If you disagree with that, then I don't know what to tell you.
Burn everything and everyone they hold dear; they had it coming. We're better people.

I think a fair punishment would be a suspension on the condition that they rewrite a real apology, and a mandatory semester in AP US history.

Burn everything and everyone they hold dear; they had it coming. We're better people.

No point in engaging people on that level. No one wins in a shouting match, all that will happen is that other racists will rally behind them.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I want to ask you again.

Why are you more tired of outrage culture than discriminatory culture?

Not sure why you are asking? Its plainly clear in my previous posts, which I will reproduce here:

No, I'm just tired of the outrage culture.

I made a post similar about the pizzeria people and all the outrage people had. They didn't even refuse anyone service yet, they were getting death and bomb threats. Its unproductive, in the microcosm of the specific event, and its unproductive in the macro level where it A) makes people I generally agree with on racism and bigotry look like assholes and tangentially, makes me look like an asshole B) entrench the right/conservative mantra of "us vs them" instead of having a productive conversation about how to actually fix the issue.

It produces nothing of positive value. People that find this deplorable will learn nothing, people that find this behavior acceptable will either never see it all because its outside their normal circle of media consumption or if they do see it, it will likely be presented to them as mean liberals picking on poor white people again.

Yes, that makes sense, "we're better people, lets kill them!" instead of idunno, educating them?

And this will be my last post in this thread. Feel free to quote me, but I will not respond. However, if you would like to have further discussion with me, you can PM me.

From the OP it sounds like they just didn't think they'd get caught.

Pretty shitty thing to do there, kids. I hope you're ashamed of yourselves, and I hope that you change your bigoted world view.

Salvatron

racism wasnt the talk of the country at the time?

so they only know about racism if its only on the news or something?

Not only are they racist, but dumb too. Their so-called "rap" was from June of 2013... a year and change after Trayvon Martin and a month before the Zimmerman trial.

“At this time in our lives, racism was not the talk of the country nor had we ever witnessed the true power of social media, twitter was still fresh and we had never heard of anyone getting in trouble for posting anything on social media, it was the beginning of this social era,” said one of the girls in a letter written to classmates and teachers.

Wot? Beginning? Twitter is almost 9 years old. Hell, the film The Social Network was out in 2010.

theWB27

Not sure why you are asking? Its plainly clear in my previous posts, which I will reproduce here:

It produces nothing of positive value. People that find this deplorable will learn nothing, people that find this behavior acceptable will either never see it all because its outside their normal circle of media consumption or if they do see it, it will likely be presented to them as mean liberals picking on poor white people again.

Yes, that makes sense, "we're better people, lets kill them!" instead of idunno, educating them?

All your quote does is pretend there hasn't been years upon years upon years of attempts of "sitting" down and "educating" these people that this isn't acceptable.

We live in an age where almost everything is a single click away...history is at our finger tips and yet....we still get this. We still get people who don't give a shit if you know they're racist and will chant and make videos for a laugh.

Yet....here you are going after the people who voice their opinion about how wrong it is rather than letting these people know how dumb it is in your own way. You don't have to be a part of the internet mob...but trying to silence people who are voicing their opinion against people voicing their racism doesn't sit right.

And this will be my last post in this thread. Feel free to quote me, but I will not respond. However, if you would like to have further discussion with me, you can PM me.

What's the difference? I won't PM....

I would much rather these people to own up to being racist scumbags instead of coming up with bs remarks.

That's what gets me about every one of these stories. Alright, so you make a racist song of every non-white race your brains can think of even referencing the deaths that race suffered at the hands of your own. It makes me furious that you thought that was somehow alright, I could get past it however. I can't have forgiveness in my heart though, and I can't point at this as nothing other than the problem that we have with race in this country when people can't follow the basics of an apology. You don't get to say whatever you want and walk away with the 'I am a victim' flag high if you can't even own up to how un-empathetic and tone deaf what you did was. And people will take your example and continue to put more racism out into the ether, and walk away thinking that they must be the victim because nobody will actually acknowledge that they aren't even close the victims in this case but the perpetrator.

I would much rather these people to own up to being racist scumbags instead of coming up with bs remarks.

Part of the culture.

Since racism isn't really a thing, they don't have to own up to it. Since there are apologists who will always make excuses for them, they don't have to acknowledge that they're flawed. And since we now have a thing where people are more mad about "name and shame" culture than the actual shitlord who is a racist, any real lesson learned will be diminished because it's more important to protect the racist's feelings than it to eliminate ideals of inferiority, oppression and subjugation.

"I'm a racist shitlord" isn't a community teaching moment. It's an introspective moment. If a person isn't willing to have that conversation with themselves, I'm not going to try to have it with them. It's not my responsibility or anyone else's.

"Society made me this way! Not my fault!"

I've got more respect for people who admit to being racist than those who deny it and try to blame others. Hell at least the people openly racist towards me and my people are honest about it.

"Society made me this way! Not my fault!"

I've got more respect for people who admit to being racist than those who deny it and try to blame others. Hell at least the people openly racist towards me and my people are honest about it.

The problem with that is a lot of people genuinely don't believe they're racist.

J10

Banned
I'm getting real tired of being asked to empathize with people who put this kind of nastiness out into the world because they might suffer some kind of negative repercussion. Pizza bitch got some fake bomb threats and a million dollars from fellow bigots. Woe is she, life is so hard for assholes who stick together.

Africanus

From AP US History experience, I don't know which one is a worser punishment :p

AP US History is a splendid time!
I have a 103 in the class currently.
As well, they can be truly educated on the history related to each verse of that disgusting song they devised.

I'm getting real tired of being asked to empathize with people who put this kind of nastiness out into the world because they might suffer some kind of negative repercussion. Pizza bitch got some fake bomb threats and a million dollars from fellow bigots. Woe is she, life is so hard for assholes who stick together.

Exactly this.

For all the hatred of the "name and shame" connection, there are others who will reinforce them and their beliefs and prop them up when they're down. Obviously not always to the extent of Pizza Bigot, but it's always there.

But it's our job to help attempt to turn them into decent, non racist individuals? Fuck that.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If your first concern, in hearing about someone who made up a racist song about lynching black folks, is to condemn the "outrage culture" instead of the racism that brought the song about, congratulations! You are officially Part of the Problem.

Cool, we're talking about how awful it is that they got caught rather than how awful the fucking racism is. The usual.

These racist girls are lying to the world and saying they're not bigoted, and we're supposed to care about them?

Enzom21

So another thread about racism direct at black people becomes a "poor racists" thread.
The racism is excusable but the outrage is not?

jwhit28

"At this time in our lives, racism was not the talk of the country"

what the fuck time were they living in

They are from an alternate timeline where Obama never ran for president and Goku died to a heart disease before he could defeat the androids.

I would say a couple weeks suspension from school plus a good sit down with the parents and principal is in order.

Part of me feels they were just being stupid and got caught with their pants down.. but those are pretty harsh lyrics.

Lesson learnt I hope.

JDSN

Banned
"Outrage culture" a term said by people that argue that complaining too much about shit delegitimizes actual horrible situations has officially been delegitimized by people that use it too much, funny how that works.

"At this time in our lives, racism was not the talk of the country"

what the fuck time were they living in

That was right around the time Trayvon Martin and Zimmerman were in the news. Probably the most race was discussed in the span of half a year on every network.

This quote also gets me:

“I myself have witnessed others spit racial slurs or comments and have been completely dumbfounded to the point of tears.”

Then why the hell did you think I'd be alright for you to do it? Why would it ever be funny? How the hell am I supposed to feel sorry or take anything you say as true for you when you say racism makes you feel one way but you record an entire song where you gleefully joke about hanging blacks?

Sai-kun

Banned

"Pizza bitch" had me rolling, idk why.

To some degree -- and you're responsible for the degree. We choose or choose not to internalize the character of our upbringing. I was raised in the same place as these girls, in a MUCH more racist time, and learned that this sort of racism is vile ignorance. Giving people a pass because they grew up around racism is a disservice to all the men and women who also grew up in racist saturated culture but chose to eschew it.
People should be held personally responsible for their behavior, regardless of their upbringing. We should have ethical standards to which all members of our society are held accountable. Period.

What I don't appreciate is the self-righteous condemnation of our fellow human beings who are, in my perspective, pitiable. There is no doubt that one can rise above one's environment, shed off ignorant culture, but often times, this is because you've been afforded some unique perspective that made you question the status quo. There is a responsibility that one should feel when one comes into such fortune, an obligation to your peers still in ignorance. It's very easy to proclaim yourself as simply being made of stronger moral stuff than Bigot Joe, and very hard to realize that had been precisely in his shoes you would be Bigot Joe. Maybe the truth lies somewhere inbetween.

Extend a hand to lift someone out of their ignorant hole rather than driving a condemning boot down on their head.

Sincerely,

Someone who lived in ignorance for a long time (and still does, as do we all).

Sai-kun

Banned
People should be held personally responsible for their behavior, regardless of their upbringing. We should have ethical standards to which all members of our society are held accountable. Period.

What I don't appreciate is the self-righteous condemnation of our fellow human beings who are, in my perspective, pitiable. There is no doubt that one can rise above one's environment, shed off ignorant culture, but often times, this is because you've been afforded some unique perspective that made you question the status quo. There is a responsibility that one should feel when one comes into such fortune, an obligation to your peers still in ignorance. It's very easy to proclaim yourself as simply being made of stronger moral stuff than Bigot Joe, and very hard to realize that had been precisely in his shoes you would be Bigot Joe. Maybe the truth lies somewhere inbetween.

Extend a hand to lift someone out of their ignorant hole rather than driving a condemning boot down on their head.

Sincerely,

I feel you, and this is a good vibe to have, but why is it always up to us marginalized folks to stay nice and educate piece of shit white racists? these white girls aren't the ones who will still be on the receiving end of gross racist bullshit like this for a large portion of their lives

Firework

Banned
The girls, however, insist they are not bigoted.

Ugh, white people always do this when called out for this kind of behavior. Come clean about all the prejudiced shit they've said in the past but somehow reject out of hand the label 'racist'. If the shoe fits, wear it!

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
"We're sorry that we got caught".
And that's really what it comes down to.

Lol at the claim of racism not being a recent topic in this country; they literally admit to learning all of those slurs and stereotypes in school. Also the context of lynching blacks, which is very specific and relevant towards the country's history of racism and honestly not an old occurrence either...

Idk guys, let's give them the benefit of the doubt, kids will be kids after all. I mean who hasn't writen and 3 minute song about killing racial minorities. I'm sure everyone has been their.

It's just a fase, and I'm sure they'll grow out of it. Also even if they don't, I'm sure they were joking.

did I get all the excuses? Okay, anyway girls are racist as fuck and their lives are pretty much over now.

YoungHav

Banned
Ugh, white people always do this when called out for this kind of behavior. Come clean about all the prejudiced shit they've said in the past but somehow reject out of hand the label 'racist'. If the shoe fits, wear it!
The only thing more painful than being called a racist is child birth. If we use the word too much it loses it's meaning. Let's save the term for true racists like Al Sharpton.

besada

Banned

Sincerely,

That's the thing, I don't think there's anything special about me. I think most of the people I grew up with figured this out, and figured it out without too much difficulty. I think the racists in my school were the minority, not the majority. I suspect the folks who think it's okay to make lyrics about lynching black kids in THEIR school are in the minority, too.

MLK didn't come down on a cloud to enlighten me. I lived in the world, looked around, and it was largely self-evident that racism was stupid. I read a couple of books, most assigned to me in Texas high schools, and they cemented the observations I'd already made. Some people can't figure that out, and that's unfortunate. But it's not because the rest of us had some special epiphany.

I'm happy to help educate those people, by talking to them, by funding schools which assign them reading materials that help them understand the world, and by making sure they understand when they've made a terrible error in judgement. What I'm not happy to do is to tell them that it's okay that they engage in racist speech because they grew up around racists. It's not. That isn't a valid excuse.

Goodstyle

Anyone else think it's kinda disturbing how these kids wanted to kill people as punishment for seeing them as attractive? That's so fucked up on so many levels. The amount of arrogance and callousness is just unreal, really comes off as psychopathic even.

ZdkDzk

It's always interesting to come on the internet and see people reaction to these things. What they did was unacceptable, and they should deffinetely get called out for it. But putting them in the same box as actual adults who are outwardly bigoted, for something they did on a come-and-go social media site when they were 14 is ridiculous.

Is it racist? Absolutely. Cross the line by a good number of miles? No question. Do I expect high school kids to joke about some of the most racist things I've ever heard? It's more surprising when they don't .

Maybe it's just Atlanta, but there wasn't a school I went to where the majority of students weren't making racist jokes. Black, white, mexican, latino, african, cuban, indian, chinese, pakistani... everybody was aware that racism was a legtimate issue and took it seriously, but that wasn't going to stop anyone from making a bunch of racist jokes (at least early on, as most students gained enough awareness to tone it down or quite all together over the years).

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be calling them out on this
(I'm really not saying anything at all)
(we should), or that these kids were/are like the kids I grew up with in my areas
(considering the schools/places I've been to outside of the Atlanta area, probably not)
. But what I am saying is, if someone had freestyled most of that song when I was in freshman or sophomore year, a lot of kids would be cheering and laughing their asses off.

tl;dr anectodotal evidence tells me that 60-80% of kids in the greater Atlanta area are psuedo/racist and they know it. We should still call them out, but don't lump the dumb 14 year olds in with the 20-something+ racists who are serious, believe, and act on their bigotry.

Sincerely,

Here's the thing though. They aren't ignorant. These aren't hermits were talking about. These are modern day students in a public school with a black population. They know the music. They know and maybe even have multicultural friends/acquaintances. They admit they know about racist slurs and how bad they are and they are knowledgeable enough to know all about lynching and able to recite stereotypes by heart. They lived in a time specifically when race was a mainstream issue. They have had all of these opportunities and still chose to spread hate.

It's always interesting to come on the internet and see people reaction to these things. What they did was unacceptable, and they should deffinetely get called out for it. But putting them in the same box as actual adults who are outwardly bigoted, for something they did on a come-and-go social media site when they were 14 is ridiculous.

I'd be willing to remove them from the box if they didn't pull the same calculated bull that adult racists pull. Their response is down pat for the same blame-shifting, insincere apologies that we get from adults that are basically one big letter that says, as other posters put it, I'm sorry I got caught. Blame society, blame the fact that they heard it in school, blame the fact that (despite living when Trayvon Martin was plastered across the news) racism wasn't spoken of in the mainstream, ask who's the real victim, assure people that racism actually really hurts your feelings but never actually own up. If they just said 'nigger' as though they wanted to imitate a dumb rap song, maybe. But this was harsh and pointed. Something that I can't just believe was 100% childish ignorance. This was a deep dive to lampoon history and they couldn't even drop the pretense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom