• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who does it seem that all Doom 3 hype is based on graphics?

kevm3

I'm not so much interested in doom 3 as I am in what other companies will do with the engine. Cannn't wait!

Ferrio

Banned
kevm3 said:
I'm not so much interested in doom 3 as I am in what other companies will do with the engine. Cannn't wait!

Exactly, ID makes excellent engines. They're games... well not always the most exciting.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yusaku said:
OMG THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME! So obviously the gameplay must suck, rite?

It's because ID games, in single-player, usually are boring. Tech demos disguised as run and gun games.

I actually have high hopes for Doom 3 though. It seems like it'll have a nice horror atmosphere, which I like. Maybe it'll even have some kind of story. :O

Gattsu25

Banned
wasn't their focus, with Doom 3, to create a great single player experience because even they realized their games' lack of a focused single player?

those looking at Doom 1 and 2 as poor single player experiences need to stop thinking about them now...back in the day those games kicked ass in both single and multiplay

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gattsu25 said:
wasn't their focus, with Doom 3, to create a great single player experience because even they realized their games' lack of a focused single player?

those looking at Doom 1 and 2 as poor single player experiences need to stop thinking about them now...back in the day those games kicked ass in both single and multiplay

Yes, exactly. If you've seen that recent G4 spot for Doom, there were more cutscene and story related items shown in those short clips of Doom 3 than any other id game ever made. The game is clearly different...

shuri

Banned
Kiriku said:
It's because ID games, in single-player, usually are boring. Tech demos disguised as run and gun games.

I actually have high hopes for Doom 3 though. It seems like it'll have a nice horror atmosphere, which I like. Maybe it'll even have some kind of story. :O

Wolf3d was such a shit single player game :rolleyes
Doom 1 and 2 were such shit single player games :rolleyes
Quake1 was such a shit single player game :rolleyes
Quake2 was such a shit single player game (ok it wasnt the best)
Quake3 was such a OH WAIT A MINUTE Q3 WAS A MULTIPLAYER GAME

dark10x

shuri said:

It doesn't exactly take a lot to earn praise on the PC this year, though. ;)

Far Cry was not a very good single player game, but people seemed to love THAT. I think Doom 3 will absolutely SLAUGHTER it from a game standpoint.

I really believe that a lot of people will be put in their place when this game is released...

Gattsu25

Banned
shuri said:
Wolf3d was such a shit single player game :rolleyes:
Doom 1 and 2 were such shit single player games :rolleyes:
Quake1 was such a shit single player game :rolleyes:

Agreed, although I would say Quake 1 was mediocre in comparison to Duke3D :b

oh...and dark is right about Far Cry...it's got great visuals...but gameplay wise is pretty average...and the character animation is shit

dark10x

SKluck said:
I think anyone by now would agree your opinion is null and void on FPS, dark.

Oh yeah, why's that and who are you?

Oh, because I stated that you can play an FPS with a controller even though the mouse and keyboard is still superior (in my eyes)?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Any who thinks that FPS games are unplayable with controllers is just being needlessly elitist.

Shompola

Banned
DOOM 1/2 rocked in single player. It was like the best single player experience when these games came out. Same with Quake really. And Quake rocked the multiplayer scene until Counter Strike came out. Quake 2 had even better single player but I never really liked the multiplayer part. Quake 3 simple sucked.

Mejilan

Doom 1 and 2 were amongst the last FPS games I've honestly played on my comp. I've tried out others, but I've never been big on the genre. I've just purchased Half-Life 1 and a bunch of its expansions, and will give the genre a go again. But I loved the first Dooms, especially Doom 2. I enjoyed the rapid paced, 'run and gun' nature and what really made it was the awesome level design.

Is Doom 3 nothing like that?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
shuri said:

Wolf 3D and Doom 1 were nice, but mostly because they were something new and different at the time. Doom 2 was more of the same, and became quite boring after a while.

Quake 1 honestly bored the hell out of me. Quake 2 had a similar effect. And yeah, they gave up with Quake 3. ;)

I usually prefer atmosphere and story over mindless reflex-gibbing, so I believe that would be an explanation to my opinions.

dark10x

Mejilan said:
Doom 1 and 2 were amongst the last FPS games I've honestly played on my comp. I've tried out others, but I've never been big on the genre. I've just purchased Half-Life 1 and a bunch of its expansions, and will give the genre a go again. But I loved the first Dooms, especially Doom 2. I enjoyed the rapid paced, 'run and gun' nature and what really made it was the awesome level design.

It does not seem to be. It looks like a much slower paced game with a focus on the "experience". That appeals to me, but if you are looking for fast paced action, I don't know if you'll like it too much. :\

I've heard that some versions of the game use Star Ocean 3 music as well...so you might want to be careful.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
dark10x said:
It does not seem to be. It looks like a much slower paced game with a focus on the "experience". That appeals to me, but if you are looking for fast paced action, I don't know if you'll like it too much. :\

I've heard that some versions of the game use Star Ocean 3 music as well...so you might want to be careful.

?! wtf,

signet

Mejilan said:
I enjoyed the rapid paced, 'run and gun' nature and what really made it was the awesome level design.

Get a game called Painkiller, it more like Doom 1&2 than Doom 3 will ever be.

border

Painkiller just shows you how standards have changed. Make a game like the original Doom titles and it "sucks"....even though Doom is revered as a classic. That's why id is having to use a different style of gameplay in Doom3...

If you go back to the original Doom games they are kinda boring, though.

DopeyFish

border said:
Painkiller just shows you how standards have changed. Make a game like the original Doom titles and it "sucks"....even though Doom is revered as a classic. That's why id is having to use a different style of gameplay in Doom3...

If you go back to the original Doom games they are kinda boring, though.

neg. Doom games are still fun. Painkiller is just crap.

Serious Sam 1/2 were fun and it's pretty much like doom.

Mejilan

Hahaha, dark. Trying to derail the thread even moreso?

I'll look into Painkiller. Thanks.

dark10x

Painkiller is different, though. It has the furious shooting of Doom, but the levels are just too open. You just run around in wide open areas slaughtering tons of enemies until you are allowed to move on. Doom was not like that.

Tenguman

DopeyFish said:
neg. Doom games are still fun. Painkiller is just crap.

Serious Sam 1/2 were fun and it's pretty much like doom.
SS1/2 were fun w/ friends, but the single player games got old real quick. Even w/ friends, there was only so much fun you could have with co-op

I'm excited about Doom 3 about the level of immersion it's supposed to have on you. Admittidly, the latest trailer of the game makes it look pretty generic. Blasting ugly monsters to the tune of rock music is pretty ho-hum in my book. But from everything I read, I believe the game will end up being very immersive, up there with metroid prime and half life.

akascream

Banned
I dunno why people discount the effect atmosphere has on your mood while playing a game. I play games to feel good, to enjoy myself. Atmosphere is a part of both my initial reaction to an encounter and the attitude it provides as my mental environment for mechanics to shine.

But I guess elitists are supposed to be more impressed with pooping cubes, or big piles of low poly, poorly textured, badly lit garbage rolling around picking up, woah!.. more garbage. Brilliant!

DopeyFish

Tenguman said:
SS1/2 were fun w/ friends, but the single player games got old real quick. Even w/ friends, there was only so much fun you could have with co-op

I'm excited about Doom 3 about the level of immersion it's supposed to have on you. Admittidly, the latest trailer of the game makes it look pretty generic. Blasting ugly monsters to the tune of rock music is pretty ho-hum in my book. But from everything I read, I believe the game will end up being very immersive, up there with metroid prime and half life.

that song is the only song in the game and it's on the menu only :/

border

The manual has been scanned, and it details the quicksaving (press F5) as well as the need to use "overwhelming firepower". I don't think this is really going to be much like traditional survival horror.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
akascream said:
But I guess elitists are supposed to be more impressed with pooping cubes, or big piles of low poly, poorly textured, badly lit garbage rolling around picking up, woah!.. more garbage. Brilliant!

Tell me you didn't just try to big up Doom 3 by pissing on Katamari.

Jesus.

Aaaanyway, Doom 3 hype should clearly be based on the fact that it has ARCH-VILES. That almost makes up for the Revenant letdown.

Top Bottom