• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here lives in Florida?

spangler

I'm in Gainesville.

Go Gators!

Edit: I grew up in a little town called Interlachen. I'm willing to bet no one knows where that is.

I drive through Interlachen every day on my way to work in the delightful town of Palatka. Putnam is not the greatest of counties.

I envy every single one of you who live in Orlando. I'm sure it isn't perfect (nowhere is), but between the weather and all the shit to do (Disney, Universal, etc), I'd be content. I'm a,ways looking forward to my next holiday there, but it's getting harder and harder to afford. :-(

Can't say I care for living in the UK much.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I envy every single one of you who live in Orlando. I'm sure it isn't perfect (nowhere is), but between the weather and all the shit to do (Disney, Universal, etc), I'd be content. I'm a,ways looking forward to my next holiday there, but it's getting harder and harder to afford. :-(

Can't say I care for living in the UK much.

Trust me its not as fun as you make it out to be. There isn't much shit to do here than most cities and it's definitely not like NYC which is where I lived for 17 years. I can't stand Disney at this point. Thankfully its isolated from everything else, the only reason I head over there now a days is to catch Braves spring training games.

I miss the days when the Magic were good although the fact they suck now means you can get tickets for under $5 which is pretty neat. The $6 beers not so much. The best sports experience now a days is the local soccer team. Getting a MLS team will be nice.

Weather is great though. Can't complain there. Sucks having to bust out the winter coats when its 45 degrees though.

matt360

Trust me its not as fun as you make it out to be. There isn't much shit to do here than most cities and it's definitely not like NYC which is where I lived for 17 years. I can't stand Disney at this point. Thankfully its isolated from everything else, the only reason I head over there now a days is to catch Braves spring training games.

I miss the days when the Magic were good although the fact they suck now means you can get tickets for under $5 which is pretty neat. The $6 beers not so much. The best sports experience now a days is the local soccer team. Getting a MLS team will be nice.

Weather is great though. Can't complain there. Sucks having to bust out the winter coats when its 45 degrees though.

To be fair, no city really compares to NYC in terms of things to do. But to say that there isn't much to do makes me think you're just not trying. Most parts of Orlando are pretty fucking awesome. Hell, 4 Rivers BBQ alone justifies a move to Orlando.

To be fair, no city really compares to NYC in terms of things to do. But to say that there isn't much to do makes me think you're just not trying. Most parts of Orlando are pretty fucking awesome. Hell, 4 Rivers BBQ alone justifies a move to Orlando.

You're a lunatic.

matt360

You're a lunatic.

To each their own I guess. I love the theme parks, the outlets, the malls, I-Drive, the Magic, the strip malls with the shitty China buffet restaurants, Old Town, Church Street, that little Vietnam Town on 50 has some incredible restaurants, etc. I'd live there in a heartbeat if I could. Redlight Redlight is also one of the best craft beer bars I've ever been to.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Oh wow, didn't expect to see any other folks who knew the area. It's a mad, mad, mad, mad, mad, mad, mad mad mad world.

Also, cold as the heart of hell up in this bitch.

I am in Jacksonville too. I don't hate it as much everyone else here though. You just have to live in the right neighborhoods.

Every area outside of Downtown, Riverside, and San Marco is suburban strip mall hell. But when you live in a historic area with its own unique local businesses and culture it's pretty cool. Chill in the cafe reading at Chamblin's, head over to Burrito Gallery for dinner, grab a mojito at Dos Gatos, then top it off with beers and live music at Birdie's or Jack Rabbits. I feel sorry for anyone stuck in Orange Park or Arlington or whatever.

I'd happily attend a JaxGAF meetup if anyone wants to help organize one. I remember when there were only 1 or 2 other Jacksonville people on the board -- times have certainly changed.

Jacksonville is further west than anything else along the eastern coastline, and usually any hurricane that might come close gets quickly sucked north by the Gulf Stream and directed towards North/South Carolina. In the past decade, I can only remember 1 or 2 serious hurricane situations which resulted in schools and businesses shutting down. In both instances the hurricane never hit us. As someone else said, we haven't seen a hurricane in decades. There's been some tropical storms and some nasty whether from hurricanes as they missed us and went north, but nothing resembling a direct hit.

I don't know about you but I love living in Orange Park. Got the mall across the street(minus the bomb threat last week), lots of dining places to go to(both national and local) within a 5 minute drive, and really a relative low violent crime rate compared to Duval. I am thinking of buying a house in Oceanway off Pecan Park Rd though.

I drive through Interlachen every day on my way to work in the delightful town of Palatka. Putnam is not the greatest of counties.

Putnam isn't that great of a county. It might be good if you like living in the woods and being left alone. And Palatka smells like a shoe most of the time.

My dads cousin lives in Interlachen.Been there a few times.

I think the town now has two traffic lights.

It really is such a small world.

They're putting one right on University Blvd by UCF. Going to be a madhouse. They've recently put a Tijuana Flats and some other places there too including relocating Lazy Moon pizza there. So good.

I've still never been to 4Rivers, although I've had their catering.

FLAguy954

Fort Lauderdale here. I hate South Florida with a passion. Can't wait to move.

I moved from Crystal River to here, so I know where you are. :)

PicardWhatIsThisStuff.jpg

C'mon man, South Florida is awesome. Or is it a little too busy for your tastes?

border

I don't know about you but I love living in Orange Park. Got the mall across the street(minus the bomb threat last week), lots of dining places to go to(both national and local) within a 5 minute drive, and really a relative low violent crime rate compared to Duval. I am thinking of buying a house in Oceanway off Pecan Park Rd though.

I like living around and amongst a diverse, youthful, unique, and eclectic culture, with lots of quirky local places. In Riverside you see all types -- white, black, young, old, gay, straight, artists, musicians, hot tattooed-up chicks, hipsters, train kids, hippies, rastafarians, doctors, lawyers, etc, etc. You have bars with beer selections that go beyond Bud/Miller/Heineken -- and the city's best beer is brewed only a few blocks away. You have unique restaurants and shops. You have a pedestrian/bicycling culture and a couple busy parks. You have a movie theater that often shows movies that don't play anywhere else. I like that most cultural events (concerts and Art Walk) are just 10 minutes away in downtown.

Places like Orange Park feel very sprawled out, and mostly centered around the white lower/middle class.

theytookourjobz

I like living around and amongst a diverse, youthful, unique, and eclectic culture, with lots of quirky local places. In Riverside you see all types -- white, black, young, old, gay, straight, artists, musicians, hot tattooed-up chicks, hipsters, train kids, hippies, rastafarians, doctors, lawyers, etc, etc. You have bars with beer selections that go beyond Bud/Miller/Heineken -- and the city's best beer is brewed only a few blocks away. You have unique restaurants and shops. You have a pedestrian/bicycling culture and a couple busy parks. You have a movie theater that often shows movies that don't play anywhere else. I like that most cultural events (concerts and Art Walk) are just 10 minutes away in downtown.

Places like Orange Park feel very sprawled out, and mostly centered around the white lower/middle class.

Yeah, riverside is pretty cool. My buddy owns a gym on that side of town. Kickbacks is a pretty cool spot.

border

Yeah, riverside is pretty cool. My buddy owns a gym on that side of town. Kickbacks is a pretty cool spot.

I think Kickbacks is the only 24-hour restaurant in town that serves alcohol. If you go there at 7 in the morning you can find a bunch of St. Vincent's Hospital nurses who worked the graveyard shift getting drunk at the end of their day. Where else but Riverside? :)

Ramsiege

I'm going to be moving to Orlando at the end of the month. Really looking forward to it. Grew up in GA near Savannah and my wife is from Ft. Pierce. Right now we live in Arkansas and we are excited to get the hell out of here and back to civilization..and Publix :)

Ferny

They're putting one right on University Blvd by UCF. Going to be a madhouse. They've recently put a Tijuana Flats and some other places there too including relocating Lazy Moon pizza there. So good.

I've still never been to 4Rivers, although I've had their catering.

Wait really? I live 10 minutes away from UCF. 4Rivers is BOMB!

I'm going to be moving to Orlando at the end of the month. Really looking forward to it. Grew up in GA near Savannah and my wife is from Ft. Pierce. Right now we live in Arkansas and we are excited to get the hell out of here and back to civilization..and Publix :)

What part of Orlando are you coming to?

Central Florida GAF should stage a meetup.

This needs to happen.

XenodudeX

I would like to meet up in jacksonville also. Anything to meet new people.

I mean as long as none of you are serial killers.

Kad5

Just a question for all of you guys. If someone said they wanted to move to Florida what place would you suggest if money was not a factor? What about if money WAS a factor?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Citrus County area. No one near me except the one chap that said he was moving to Gainsville and a few Orlando folk ><

I've only lived here for a little over a year. Florida is weird and a lot of weird people and crime happen here lol

Top Bottom