• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here lives in Florida?

Ferny

meh. I rather go to the mall on 17-92 by Hot Dog heaven or Waterford

btw if you haven't gone to HDH go between that stacked subs and the japanese place by walmart on 436 makes me wanna move back

HDH has to be the best place EVER. It's soooo good.

hymanator

We really should.

Is Rocky's Replay still open? I think that would be a solid joint to meet up and then we could venture off to a bar/restaurant or some such jazz.

I'm a Winter Park man myself. Used to go to Rocky's Replay regularly, but they have been out of business for at least a couple of years now. Imminent domain law forced them to relocate. Old lot is being used for the new Red Bug/436 intersection that is under construction. They tried to relocate to 2 or 3 different locations since then, but it wasn't nearly as good as the original spot, so they simply gave up.

I envy every single one of you who live in Orlando. I'm sure it isn't perfect (nowhere is), but between the weather and all the shit to do (Disney, Universal, etc), I'd be content. I'm a,ways looking forward to my next holiday there, but it's getting harder and harder to afford. :-(

Can't say I care for living in the UK much.

Yeah, I love it here. Every time I travel to the other big cities in Florida I realize how much nicer O-Town is. Especially my little suburb of Winter Park. Only problem is there isn't much of a night life outside of bars.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So when and where is the Central Florida meet up going to be? I need to know when to casually look at it from afar as I act like I have no idea who any of you are.

Yeah, I love it here. Every time I travel to the other big cities in Florida I realize how much nicer O-Town is. Especially my little suburb of Winter Park. Only problem is there isn't much of a night life outside of bars.

Try living even further out from where stuff is. I hate it. I mean I understand why some people like it but after living in a real "city" I've realized suburbia just isn't for me. I do like orlando more than Tampa or south Florida though. And Jacksonville sucks too.

Link

The Autumn Wind
not all outlet malls are created equal. hence my question.
Fair enough. It's an enormous mall with a lot of stores, but since they're outlet locations, don't expect the newest fashions. There is a section called The Colonnade that has higher-end shops, but again, I'm not sure they have any of the most recent product.

EDIT - It's also a huge tourist attraction, so expect very dense crowds.

Not concerned with latest and greatest, just wondering if, say, the barney's or burberry outlet gets interesting/high end stuff or if it looks like this:

NWGj7wz.jpg

Sorry for dragging this a little OT I just can't find much info on the internets.

Florida GAF I'm visiting you for the first time April 4th. My wife and I are visiting her grandmother in Fort Myers. She wants us to drive to South Beach after that. Anything I should know about either location? Can I get a Little Caesars Pizza without getting shot? Should I open carry or conceal and carry?(jk)

Link

The Autumn Wind
Not concerned with latest and greatest, just wondering if, say, the barney's or burberry outlet gets interesting/high end stuff or if it looks like this:

NWGj7wz.jpg

Sorry for dragging this a little OT I just can't find much info on the internets.
Oh, nah, they still look like their regular shops for the most part. You just mentioned if it's a good place for a fashionista, so I figured you were looking for the latest trends. In that case, I'd say it's worth checking out.

Camp Lo

Banned

NWGj7wz.jpg

That looks like Ross or Marshall's. Wow.

gwarm01

My wife has moved to West Palm without me and I'm constantly jealous that she gets to take a free trolley to work everyday while I slave away in the commuting hellhole of the midsouth that is Little Rock.

Florida GAF I'm visiting you for the first time April 4th. My wife and I are visiting her grandmother in Fort Myers. She wants us to drive to South Beach after that. Anything I should know about either location? Can I get a Little Caesars Pizza without getting shot? Should I open carry or conceal and carry?(jk)

You may possibly already be dead.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Windermere here!

Am I seriously the only GAFer in Windermere? I guess it's pretty close to Orlando.

Just moved from NYC and I'm never going back!

Okay so I'm in NY at the moment...but only to pick up the rest of my shit before I drive out next week.

Nakazato

I'm a Winter Park man myself. Used to go to Rocky's Replay regularly, but they have been out of business for at least a couple of years now. Imminent domain law forced them to relocate. Old lot is being used for the new Red Bug/436 intersection that is under construction. They tried to relocate to 2 or 3 different locations since then, but it wasn't nearly as good as the original spot, so they simply gave up.

damn i use to hang out there when i went to FS :(

AlphaSnake

Where in Winter Park do you live?

I love it there. I take the trip out there just to have Barney's Coffee (plus the kitchen is incredible). Also a huge fan of Luma and Bosphorous (though I do have one near me in Dr. Phillips now).

...but it's so odd how ghetto one side of Winter Park is, like Lyman Ave for example. :\

Credo

Just out of curiosity, what's so bad about Orlando? I've only been there twice in my life and don't even live in Florida, but I thought I'd ask.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Just out of curiosity, what's so bad about Orlando? I've only been there twice in my life and don't even live in Florida, but I thought I'd ask.

I-4 can get pretty terrible due to so many tourists not knowing how to drive, then tourists crashing because they don't know how to drive, then traffic halting because the rubberneckers are looking at the crashed tourists.

If only the high speed rail was made....

Windermere here!

Am I seriously the only GAFer in Windermere? I guess it's pretty close to Orlando.

Aren't there only like 13 people in Windemere? And they don't take kindly to outsiders? XD

Traffic is horrendous all over the area. It's a perfect example of suburban sprawl making things shitty and the only solution they have is to cram in more traffic lights.

Orlando is like a duck's vagina, just hundreds of cul-de-sac dead end subdivisions that connect to one main road.

AlphaSnake

Common misconception of what Orlando actually is boils down to what it ISN'T. Orlando on its own is rather small and it's population isn't that big. The actual city of Orlando isn't the safest. But once you're outside of its city limits (which is anything about 7 miles East, West, North and South), the cities that surround Orlando are spectacular and beautiful (Dr. Phillips, Winter Park, Baldwin Park, Windermere, Celebration, Maitland, old Winter Garden). Other cities such as University Park and Waterford are also nice parts of town that aren't as expensive, but don't have that panache or exclusivity.

The city of Orlando has long been trying to get all of the above towns/cities incorporated under one giant Orlando umbrella, but they've all been rejecting the offer, since Orlando's crime rate (Pine Hills, Paramore) is absolutely terrible and the towns want no part or association with it.

truth. I hate that side of town.

steer clear of that though and you are golden.

Ehhh, it's not that bad. It gets a bit congested during the summers right around Universal and Sand Lake area, but there are worse places in NY by a country mile, and I'm not talking Manhattan, either. Regular places in Queens or even Long Island.

The WORST!

I-4 in general sucks too.

I've only seen crawling traffic on the I4 once thus far...and that's because of a motorcycle caravan miles down heading up to Daytona's bike week a few weeks back. The slowest "traffic" on the I4 I've experienced has been 35MPH. In NYC that was blistering on a highway during rush hour.

Aren't there only like 13 people in Windemere? And they don't take kindly to outsiders? XD

Hahaha, yeah I'll admit it...I've become a proud snob living there. I'm all like "yeah bitch, I live in Windermere" when people ask me. A few thousand people are in the area, but it is expanding rather quickly with new housing and communities coming up in just a matter of months. Guys like Ryland, Pulte, and Ashton are building some of the best complexes in the neighborhood (avoid KB Homes like a plague) and real estate here has boomed too.

Traffic is horrendous all over the area. It's a perfect example of suburban sprawl making things shitty and the only solution they have is to cram in more traffic lights.

Orlando is like a duck's vagina, just hundreds of cul-de-sac dead end subdivisions that connect to one main road.

I'm telling you guys, the situation in the Orange County area with traffic is fantastic. Traffic lasts for no more than 45 minutes during the day. In NYC we have permanent traffic issues - there are so many cars driving on highways even around midnight, that you can barely drive faster than 50 or 55MPH. In OC, past 6:30PM you're flying down the 408 or Turnpike going 85 and getting passed by someone in a Yaris.

There are local areas where slow drivers will make driving on a 1 lane road a nightmare, but you're allowed to make a pass in many of these areas, so it doesn't bother me.

All in all, look at NYC, LA, Chicago, Wash DC, Miami, and even Atlanta...it is horrendous in those parts.

Credo

Common misconception of what Orlando actually is boils down to what it ISN'T. Orlando on its own is rather small and it's population isn't that big. The actual city of Orlando isn't the safest. But once you're outside of its city limits (which is anything about 7 miles East, West, North and South), the cities that surround Orlando are spectacular and beautiful (Dr. Phillips, Winter Park, Baldwin Park, Windermere, Celebration, Maitland, old Winter Garden). Other cities such as University Park and Waterford are also nice parts of town that aren't as expensive, but don't have that panache or exclusivity.

The city of Orlando has long been trying to get all of the above towns/cities incorporated under one giant Orlando umbrella, but they've all been rejecting the offer, since Orlando's crime rate (Pine Hills, Paramore) is absolutely terrible and the towns want no part or association with it.

Yeah, I wouldn't dare want to live in the middle of the city of Orlando if I moved there. I'm the type that would rather live in an area right outside the main area, maybe something like Kissimmee. I kind of figured most complaints about Orlando were traffic-related due to the amusement parks and other attractions, but I didn't know the crime was a problem too.

Kaladin

I don't live in Florida, but I vacation there often. Scuba Diving in the keys is awesome. Florida has great beaches too.

<3 Florida Keys....stay outta Key West though for the best experience, unless you want to get wasted till 4am....then go to Key West.

AlphaSnake

Yeah, I wouldn't dare want to live in the middle of the city of Orlando if I moved there. I'm the type that would rather live in an area right outside the main area, maybe something like Kissimmee. I kind of figured most complaints about Orlando were traffic-related due to the amusement parks and other attractions, but I didn't know the crime was a problem too.

Half of Kissimmee is rather awful, the other half is nice. Stick to primarily safe neighborhoods that don't have that 50/50 split issue. The areas I mentioned in my post are the best.

Think of downtown Orlando as New York City. You have your Harlem, Washington Heights...and right next to both of those is culture, museums, parks and the Upper West Side and Upper East Side. The West Village further down in NYC, as nice as tourists and goth kids think its cool, is riddled with drug dealers, robberies, and assaults...and yet people hang out there all the time, and will take the walk down Bleecker to MacDougal St in Washington Square.

East New York Brooklyn has the same issue, tons of hang out spots next some of the shittiest neighborhoods NY has to offer (Red Hook, Flatbush). Parts of expensive as hell Brooklyn such as Park Slope still suck and so are parts of Williamsburg...

Kaladin

I've been several places in Orlando outside of the theme parks and it's the city I least enjoy going to for events. I really hate going downtown where places like Firebird and The Social are because parking is a pain in the ass usually. I actually got a hotel room one time I really wanted to see someone at The Social.

I would love to move to Miami (for the culture, food, weather, dad lives there), but I'm so embedded in STL now with job and family that it's simply never going to happen :(

Top Bottom