• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who would you consider the greatest actor and actress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
You can also mention your personal favourites but who would you consider the greatest actor and actress.

Although he's my favourite actor, he is IMO the most talented actor in Hollywood, and thats Tom Hanks. After watching Forrest Gump you cant complain about his acting. He played it perfectly. Thats not his only good film, but for me its the film that stands out the most. Another personal favourite would be Tom Cruise and Jim Carey

Im not very good with talented actresses, its not really their talent that sticks out when I watch their films, but my favourite would have to be Catherine Zeta Jones. Not only does she act well, but she is sooooo hot:)

Gantz

Banned
toronto6.jpg

Ryu

Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, Mel Gibson, Denzel Washington, Tom Cruise, Kevin Spacey, Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Natalie Portman (ignoring the bad writing of Episode I and II) Catherine Zeta Jones, and Peirce Brosnan.

Bigfoot

Leon said:
Guys, think about versatility...

Where the hell is Mel Gibson? Has anyone even seen the Patriot/Braveheart?
Yeah, weren't those two movies the same (aside from the time period)... that's versatility for you :rolleyes:

My picks:

Ed Norton
Brad Pitt
Harison Ford

Angelina Jolie
Nicole Kidman
Jeniffer Conelly

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High last night at the midnite movie, so Sean Penn, naturally.

GodsTyro

It's funny that acting is the only form of art where the well-known "big hitters" always recieve the credit. Usually, with music or other forms of art, it is always argued that there are less-known people who are superior or do not recieve due credit.

Ryu

Guys, think about versatility...

Where the hell is Mel Gibson? Has anyone even seen the Patriot/Braveheart?

Brad Pitt??

I mentioned Mel Gibson, but other then Fight Club and Se7en, what else has Brad done of note-worthy performances? He sucked in Troy and I didn't see him as worth anything in Legends of the Fall. I think Edward Norton deserves far more credit then Brad for Fight Club though, but that's just my opinion.

It has to be Gary Oldman. Can you name another actor that you will see on screen and not even realize it's him because of how well he can act and change the way he is? That's why I love him. He's great and you don't even realize it's him half the time because he's jsut that good.

karasu

I always recognize Oldman when I see him. The make up doesn't hide who he is. He's a great actor though.

Alucard

Banned
Peter Sellers
Gary Oldman
Bruce Campbell
Robert Deniro (this man IS versatility if you've seen him in stuff like The Mission and Brazil)
Brad Pitt
Johnny Depp
Pierce Brosnan

nitewulf

come on...

CHRISTOPHER WALKEN!!!
also,
robert de niro
al pacino
johnny depp
toshiro mifune
tony leung
chow yun fat
edward norton
morgan freeman
tom hanks

actresses:
i dont much care as long as they are pretty hot...but my favorite is angelina, among the living.

for classics though...audrey hepburn, grace kelly, lauren bacal.

Best actors ever:

Cary Grant
James Stewart
Gregory Peck
Peter Sellers

Current good actors:

Johnny Depp
Robert DeNiro
Al Pacino
Jim Carrey

Alucard

Banned
Yay for Jim Carrey. I'm really hoping that he keeps going down the serious route with more movies like The Majestic and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Alucard said:
Yay for Jim Carrey. I'm really hoping that he keeps going down the serious route with more movies like The Majestic and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Yes. Although my favorite role of his was in The Truman Show. It was just so perfectly written for him.

Also, I used to hate him, but I must admit I'm rather fond of Leonardo DiCaprio as an actor. Funnily enough, some more recent pictures of him have looked shockingly similar to me.

Leonardo%20DiCaprio.jpg

way more

Notice how everyone can list actors, but we stall on actresses? Just something I've always noticed.

Helena Boham Carter
Julianne Moore

And Jean Reno, Chow Yun-Fat

karasu

You're right. It's kind of sad.

Isabella Rosellini
Julianne Moore
Angela Basset
Maggie Cheung
Gong Li
Alfre Woodard
Patricia Arquette

Kidman has been turning in some really good performances lately.

Boogie9IGN

In no particular order:

Sean Connery
Harrison Ford
Sean Penn
Johnny Depp
Samuel L. Jackson
Al Pacino
Robert Deniro
Gary Oldman
Tom Cruise
Mel Gibson

siege

Banned
Paul Newman

Johnny Depp
Mel Gibson
Al Pacino
Gary Oldman
Robert Deniro
Jack Nicholson
Russell Crowe
Dustin Hoffman
Matt Damon
Daniel Day Lewis
Tom Cruise
Val Kilmer
Don Cheadle
William H. Macy
Tom Hanks
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Denzel Washington
Robert Duvall
SIR Ben Kingsley

Jodie Foster
Sally Field
Nicole Kidman
Jennifer Conelly
Holly Hunter
Naomi Watts
Julianne Moore
Susan Sarandon
Jessica Lange
Sissy Spacek
Meryl Streep

DJ_Tet

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
It has to be Gary Oldman. Can you name another actor that you will see on screen and not even realize it's him because of how well he can act and change the way he is? That's why I love him. He's great and you don't even realize it's him half the time because he's jsut that good.

True Romance anyone? Unbelievable role there.

J2 Cool

Gary Oldman
Al Pacino
Robert De Niro
Tom Hanks
Mel Gibson
Samuel Jackson
Sean Penn
Johnny Depp
Brad Pitt

Nicole Kidman
Natalie Portman
Uma Thurman

comedic actors

Jim Carrey
Will Ferrell
Adam Sandler (given the right role)
Mike Myers

not many actresses seem comedically brilliant to me really. Ellen maybe but you got to toy with the emotions and have a lot of range between quiet and serious and ballistic. Jim Carrey is so incredibly talented with that. Ellen's rapid fire all the time but she makes me laugh so.

Used to be Edward Norton. Fight Club, Primal Fear, American History X... But I've been really disappointed in his recent film selection. I dunno. Too many actors I really like, but not one I can really call an absolute favorite.

jett

D-Member
Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro. You can't beat those two.

I don't give a hoot about any actresses, I've never really been impressed by one of them.

Teddman

Brando's up there.

This week I rented his last film, The Score, and also The Freshman (where he spoofs his role in The Godfather), and he was great even in the twilight of his career. A commanding screen presence and ability to ad-lib.

Malakhov

Banned
Teddman said:
ability to ad-lib.

Kurtz: I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror. Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies. I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A ile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment. Because it's judgment that defeats us.

Brando was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom