• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are there no more charismatic black superstars in Hollywood?

pramod

Banned
Why are there no more Smiths, Snipes, Denzels, and Fishburnes?

Is Hollywood just not woke enough? Or are there no good roles available to black actors?

BTW I don't think Ildris Elba counts since he is British.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
There's actually not a lot of US based leading men in film in general. A very large portion of the leads we see that seem American in some of their most iconic roles actually have accents and are European or Australian.

Saw an article on it a while ago talking about possible causes; primarily that a lot of handsome alpha type guys are probably not going into drama club in high school in the US because of our culture or stigma surrounding theater / high school acting. Apparently that stigma is not as prominent in other countries. I'd imagine that stigma also exists for many black male teens as well, if not more so. There's a lot of tendency for black culture in the US to emphasize hyper-masculinity; generalizing of course.

LadyBunny

Neo Member

Is Hollywood just not woke enough? Or are there no good roles available to black actors?

I think many of the up and coming or never quite picked to be an A-lister have moved to video games... Lester Speight (Augustus Cole, Gears of War), Isaac C. Singleton Jr (Thanos, Marvel v Capcom), Phil Lamarr (Sam B, Dead Island), Dave Fennoy (Lee Everett, The Walking Dead), Dennis Haysbert (Narrator, Call of Duty: Finest Hour), Gerald 'Slink' Johnson (Lamar Davis, GTA V) and those are just the ones we're working with on some upcoming games.

teezzy

Banned
Red Carpet Oscars GIF

Mistake

I don’t pay attention to this at all, but I can probably name more black actors/stars than I can white, and I’m white.

BigBooper

What are you talking about? Some examples...even though I see you mentioned Fishburne and Smith. You know they're still making movies, right?
Lawrence Fishburne
Halle Berry
Will Smith
Michael B Jordan

If you are talking about new actors, then I'd say there's barely any new superstars coming up of any race. I don't know if it's a concerted effort or what.

Last edited:

ymoc

I kinda feel like when some of the great ones like Denzel or Elba retire, there's going go be a bit lonely out there. I honestly can't name one young actor who is on track to become top tier as the old guard.
Everyone is getting old and it's pretty damn sad.

teezzy

Banned
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II seems like a good up and coming actor from what I've seen so far. He looks incredible as Morpheus in the Matrix Resurrections (and I had my doubts about him replacing someone as iconic as Lawrence Fishburne was in that role).

Are they going to explain this at all in the movie?

Why didn't Fishburne rejoin?

daveonezero

Banned
Don’t all of those guys have the “wrong” cultural beliefs?

but ya most those guys are making movies and doing well. The exception is Snipes.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
If you actually take a step back you'll notice that there has not been a new crazy superstar in Hollywood of any race or gender in quite a while. I mean you still have the names that you've always heard like Leo, Brad Pitt, and you have a handful of other young actors and actresses that have come kind of close to being a thing but then they only end up being a thing for maybe a year or so. Everyone else that comes to mind has been an established name for a while.

I can't think of a single actor or actress under the age of 30 that has been popular or at the top end of the highest paid or most "in demand" longer than maybe just a few years outside of the MCU.

Not sure what that says about Hollywood or the quality of the latest batch of the actors but it is kind of weird to me that after having consecutive decades of having some kind of star or Stars rising to the top and then staying there is weird to feel like we haven't really had one here recently.

Last edited:

belmarduk

All of those people are still around.
Michael B. Jordan is alright.

Kimahri

Banned
Have you seen his Dad?

he black
Weird how that works. Doesn't matter what else is in the mix, black dad? You black?

Asian mum, black dad? You black.
White mum, black dad? You black.
Native mum, black dad? You black.

Now what if your dad is maori and ypur mum is black? Whta happens then?

Boss Mog

It has nothing to do with being black though. Name me one new white charismatic actor that hasn't been around for at least 10-20 years already. I mean we're getting Tom Holland as Nathan Drake. Tom seems like a nice guy and he's the perfect fit for the awkward teenage version of Spider-man but he doesn't have the charisma for a role like Nathan Drake.

Spaceman292

Banned
It has nothing to do with being black though. Name me one new white charismatic actor that hasn't been around for at least 10-20 years already. I mean we're getting Tom Holland as Nathan Drake. Tom seems like a nice guy and he's the perfect fit for the awkward teenage version of Spider-man but he doesn't have the charisma for a role like Nathan Drake.
Seems like no one in this thread has been a movie in the oast 20 years

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

What? What does being British have to do with it? Does this mean that John Boyega also doesn't count because he's British-Nigerian?

tusharngf

What? What does being British have to do with it? Does this mean that John Boyega also doesn't count because he's British-Nigerian?
Boyega is overrated. He was shit in star wars movies. On the other hand Daniel Kaluuya is very good at acting. He was in black mirror and get out movie.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Idris counts.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Weird how that works. Doesn't matter what else is in the mix, black dad? You black?

Asian mum, black dad? You black.
White mum, black dad? You black.
Native mum, black dad? You black.

Now what if your dad is maori and ypur mum is black? Whta happens then?
I said his Dad was black.

Not sure what you are on about here lol

Kimahri

Banned
I said his Dad was black.

Not sure what you are on about here lol
Lol, okay then.

The way you replied to someone saying he's samoa with "he black" at the end made it sound like you said the rock was black, not his dad. My bad. (I've seen the same thing elsewhere quite often, hence my reaction)

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Lol, okay then.

The way you replied to someone saying he's samoa with "he black" at the end made it sound like you said the rock was black, not his dad. My bad. (I've seen the same thing elsewhere quite often, hence my reaction)
Well.. he's mixed.. and honestly never seen it the way you've seen it as if mother/father being black matters.

Really The Rock doesn't look particularly black, so he doesn't get guessed as black. That's really more what it boils down to, not whether your mother or father was the black one if you are mixed.

Kimahri

Banned
Well.. he's mixed.. and honestly never seen it the way you've seen it as if mother/father being black matters.

Really The Rock doesn't look particularly black, so he doesn't get guessed as black. That's really more what it boils down to, not whether your mother or father was the black one if you are mixed.
He really doesn't, I was surprised when I learned his father was black. I always assumed he was an islander. He just has that look.

Top Bottom