• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Batman: Arkham City is better than Batman: Arkham Asylum

daftstar

Arkham Origins is still the best one though.

How? Origins is the definition of mediocre. They literally pasted AC's map and managed to make it worse by adding a long pointless bridge and a giant building that cut off gliding. The story is nothing special (Black Mask is wasted, the assassins are underwhelming, and Joker is used again simply for the sake of popularity). Character models look weird with fish lips, soundtrack is generic, side content is laughable. Not to mention the amount of bugs.

I'm sorry but the only thing I can acknowledge about Origins is the boss battles.

Really happy to see the majority on this one tends to side with AA. It's the pioneer and should be remembered as the "classic" Batman game from last gen. It's a near-masterpiece game that created a solidly built foundation for a great series while also proving to me that, with AC, bigger isn't necessarily better.

The one aspect where Asylum undisputably wins against City is its secrets.

Does anyone remember the super-secret easter egg alluding to Arkham City's creation hidden in an obscure wall within the Arkham Asylum? I don't believe anyone found it before Rocksteady themselves revealed it, because it was that obscure.
How? Origins is the definition of mediocre. They literally pasted AC's map and managed to make it worse by adding a long pointless bridge and a giant building that cut off gliding. The story is nothing special (Black Mask is wasted, the assassins are underwhelming, and Joker is used again simply for the sake of popularity). Character models look weird with fish lips, soundtrack is generic, side content is laughable. Not to mention the amount of bugs.

I'm sorry but the only thing I can acknowledge about Origins is the boss battles.

Nooooooooooooooo

bremon

City was the better game. It took me a while to come to that realization because I played it shortly after Asylum. Replayed both of them as well, City is great. Played through Origins 2 weeks ago...that game actually hurt my hype for Arkham Knight, I couldn't find much to like about that game, although the hotel climax was fairly entertaining.

daftstar

The one aspect where Asylum undisputably wins against City is its secrets.

Does anyone remember the super-secret easter egg alluding to Arkham City's creation hidden in an obscure wall within the Arkham Asylum? I don't believe anyone found it before Rocksteady themselves revealed it, because it was that obscure.

Nooooooooooooooo

Pretty sure AC has a ton of easter eggs as well (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxOM3-cNDA4). Seriously Rocksteady's love of the franchise makes me appreciate AA and AC that much more. Origins on the other hand..

But alas, feel free to play Origins if you like AC. Although it's up to personal preference if you
miraculously
end up liking it more than AA or AC.

Megatron

I loved AA so much. But I really have had trouble forcing myself to slog through City. I pick it up for a bit here and there and then stop. Maybe I will finish it some day. It's a huge letdown for me though.

Riposte

Arkham City is a 3/5 game while Asylum is a 2/5. The former is better in ways a sequel should be and the worst things about it are true for the previous game. I commend the OP for his argumentation (and mostly agree) and dislike the posts that are just basically "lol no" though I knew I'd see them.

SykoTech

Still fighting the good fight, eh Spring-Loaded? God speed.

As always, I agree. Though even more so now that I'm actually replaying Asylum. The Free Flow Combat is so far behind City's that it's hard to get into. Same goes for the Predator sections. Very limited options. And then there's the bosses/villain encounters which just plain suck to be blunt. Just beat Bane, and my goodness that was boring and repetitive. Actually, pretty much all of them revolve around mindless spamming batarangs like that with a few dodge rolls. Even the much anticipated Killer Croc encounter was a batarangs fest. Except for the final boss...which somehow managed to be worse than all the other bosses combined. What were they thinking? Scarecrow was the one bright spot, though it was mostly due to surprise and cool atmosphere. Gameplay wise, he was nothing special either.

City ain't perfect, hopefully that'll be Knight. But it definitely buries Asylum. Haven't played Origins yet. Just don't have the motivation to get to it. Though everytime someone mentions that it's the best, I get a little curious.

tanod

when is my burrito
I read through the OP today and thinks he makes a very solid argument.

I will say that I thought the side missions in AC were purposely structured and placed to maximize the amount of time it takes to do them and to lead you directly away from story beats. I found that annoying.

It felt like if you wanted to do side missions, you had to switch gears and specifically go for them instead of jumping back and forth between story and side missions. Notwithstanding Arkham Origins's numerous other issues, it managed to blend them together better.

I'd definitely agree that the core mechanics in City are an improvement over Asylum with no real downsides, but beyond that direct comparison is basically impossible. De gustibus non disputandum est.

Unless Origins is your favorite, in which case there's no helping you.

Arkham Origins is almost as good as Arkham City, but loses points for its upgrade system. Critical Strikes is such an integral part of the Arkham combat system. It shouldn't be locked behind a side mission that doesn't open up until 3/4 through the game. And why do I have to upgrade all my health before I can get the Bat Swarm?

Origins has the best story and best boss fights, though.

Isn't that the game that took place during Christmas Eve as a cheap excuse to explain why the city was so barren. The shock gloves also destroyed the combat system.

No. If you drop to the street level and just listen for a while you will find out that the city is under marshal law lockdown due to all the rampant crime that is happening on that particular night.

Despite enjoying all three titles I would agree at putting AC at the top of the list.

Joei

I enjoyed AA the most. AC improved on a lot of stuff, but I absolutely loved the tighter narrative of AA and the overall story much more. I also liked the setting more than in AC, though I've never been a fan of open city style games (excited about AK nonetheless, but am sure I'll be disappointed). AO was good except the city was 3x as big than AC with 3x less stuff to do. The story and villains in AO was better than AC, but man, them upping the aggressiveness of the enemies killed that for me too. I loved doing the challenges in AA and AC, only did a few in AO.

T5xhmdn.gif

they will see the light eventually

It really was the best imo. It got shit on unnecessarily due to franchise fatigue (Filthy casuals).

Troy Baker's Joker was incredible, and the soundtrack to that game was mindblowing. The main theme for Arkham Originals is literally 50% Nolan's Batman, and 50% of Burton's batman.

Nestunt

I agree with you

But I can see why people feel the opposite

I tend to like the refined and expanded version of games

Bioshock Infinte > Bioshock
AC Brotherhood > AC II
MW2>COD4
Mass Effect 2> 1
The Witcher 2> 1
Super Street Fighter IV >Vanilla
Skyrim>Oblivion

exceptions that come to mind: DMC2, Onimusha 2, Portal 2

Icomp

I will not let this madman try to convince me the lesser game is better.

Fuck the riddler in AC. Even Assassins creed 1 collectibles are more fun than that shit.

Sentenza

Fuck the riddler in AC. Even Assassins creed 1 collectibles are more fun than that shit.
I'll call bullshit on this.
Not only what you're saying is borderline delirious, but collectables being more engaging/fun to gather was precisely another area where City improved over Asylum.

Troy Baker's Joker was incredible, and...
It was a competent performance, but nowhere near to Mark Hamill's one.

Why? Because you can glide around? I felt like I was the same Batman in both games. I was never any more or any less Batman in one game over the other.

being able to can listen in on criminals’ conversations, saving political prisoners from being beaten up or killed, jumping from a rooftop to rooftop to see what the bad guys are doing,being able to surprise attack from above, the bat claw actually being used like it should for a batman game, and gliding is awesome. batman AC does everything AA does and more.

Nope. There is a lot of bugs, glitches, and issues the game has but this is an obvious no. The soundtrack in Origins in my opinion, has some of the best songs in the entire series. The game also added an interesting crime scene interactivity with Detective Mode that Rocksteady has never done before making even some of the more tedious side quests fun. The story is flashy and a tense thrill ride, and despite it being a prequel you still feel as if much is at stake in times of the game. Not to mention, Origins has one of the best levels in the entire series (Royal Hotel) can pretty much redeem most of the game if you still haven't liked it up to this point.

Messi

I would love if they found a way to narrow the scale back down into something like Arkham Asylum again. I don't like the open world and loved how much character the location of Arkham had. Maybe set it in Blackgate. I began aging Asylum again last night and Mark Hamill does a much better job in that than he does in city.

Also make a Catwoman game using City as a base. That stuff was awesome.

Enosh

The Deadpool fight is the best part of Origins.
Deadpool is marvel, you thinking deathstroke (not to be confused with deadshot who is also in origins) :p

also having finally finished city some 2 weeks ago and origins like yesterday I think I prefer origins more, although hated the upgrade system

I liked both actually. AA is more like a curated experience whereas AC provides more freedom with tons of sidequest.

But if I really have to choose one, I'll go with AC. AA final boss fight kinda tarnished my experience of the game.

DukeBobby

My favourite parts of the Arkham games are the interior levels, and City only had one that was good (Penguin's Museum). Asylum had several.

Hell, even Origins had better interiors. It's a shame that the game was a janky, glitchy mess, though.

Branson

I like both. City felt like a natural evolution to the formula they established in the first. I don't think one is better than the other personally. Damn those were great games. I still haven't played Origin.

Ahasverus

Origins win by default thanks to the Alfred sequence (you know what I'm talking about).
No, seriously, storywise is so so so superior to those 2 before that it's funny, and thanks to the refined mechanics from City which are almost copy pasted, and of course the expansive interiors, Origins might take the top spot. Perhaps it looked a little to grey (it wasn't as colorful as AC or AA) Also, it was a prequel, which is not very exciting. But if it weren't because fatigue and lack of polish, it would had been considered as the best Batman game.

In the end we're just a whiny bunch, because we had the luck of having 3 great BATMAN games in what was simply the most consistently good trilogy of last generation. When you're arguing about which of two 10 games are 10-er you know something was done right.

sn00zer

The
Red Hood
sequence in Origins was probably my favorite moment of the series, but man I just did not want to explore that space at all.

EGM1966

I'd agree that mechanically AC improves on AA in pretty much every way. However, and this is more a personal preference I find the open world aspect negates every aspect of those improvements by introducing far greater jerkiness to the narrative than you suggest (perhaps the only area I disagree with you).

Neither has terrific narratbe but AA has the advantage of a more focused linear flow which proves pace and professing and comprehensibility of the narrative simply due to structure.

AC - like all open world games with a linear plot inserted into it - becomes increasingly disjointed the more you get tempted by all the side quest clutter and find yourself forgetting what the hell you're supposed to be focused on.

I'd also give AA moments/levels that just felt more original - Scarecrow, the moment you think the game is glitching, the stronger sense of insanity in some key encounters with Joker.

Both are great but rather than focus on delivering a better Batman game - which for me would ran stronger narrative and more focus on themes and more focus on detective work - I'm fully expecting the next one to be even more open world and follow in oath of AC.

Not that AC wasn't a blast and not that I don't want to take Batmobile for a spin, but I'd rather see a Batman game more in line with say Alien Idolation to Alien than and AA still feels closest to that for me overall despite all the game mechanic improvements in AC.

It's interesting you mention the AA graphic novel OP - that's what I want more of not beating up thugs.

daftstar

Nope. There is a lot of bugs, glitches, and issues the game has but this is an obvious no. The soundtrack in Origins in my opinion, has some of the best songs in the entire series. The game also added an interesting crime scene interactivity with Detective Mode that Rocksteady has never done before making even some of the more tedious side quests fun. The story is flashy and a tense thrill ride, and despite it being a prequel you still feel as if much is at stake in times of the game. Not to mention, Origins has one of the best levels in the entire series (Royal Hotel) can pretty much redeem most of the game if you still haven't liked it up to this point.

Highly disagree here. Origin's score lacked any sort of identity. It was a mish-mash of established themes from movies or generic blaring/thumping cues. Rocksteady's composers Nick Arundel and Ron Fish brought a distinct haunting theme for AA and an epic heroic backdrop for AC. AC's main theme alone is one of the best themes in any form of media imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXKrsJZWqK0

And that's not even an outlier, the whole score gives instant flashbacks of specific moments in the game, making it very memorable. Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfhy0S93Ivk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bWqgqcaQVs 0:40 onwards is god-tier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2orfqVDkfNs

Hell even the combat theme for Arkham Knight sounds phenomenal so far. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7rDNdfsOcg 3:25

I'll give Origins the benefit of utilizing Detective Mode more effectively with the CSI mechanic though.

"The story is flashy and a tense thrill ride". I really think those who prefer AO over AA or AC are fans of the Nolan depiction of Batman. While AA and AC stays true to Batman: The Animated Series.

Enosh

"The story is flashy and a tense thrill ride". I really think those who prefer AO over AA or AC are fans of the Nolan depiction of Batman. While AA and AC stays true to Batman: The Animated Series.
never watched the series, loved the movies, so i guess guilty as charged ^^

You know, I respect your commitment to fighting the good fight for Arkham City through incredibly dense clinical dissection of every minute aspect of the game, bulletpoint by bulletpoint, but sometimes it's enough just to glean from a brief statement a person's sentiment, especially if you have a collective of similar sentiments to build upon a fuller picture. Let's be honest here, you're not looking to be converted on your stance, and I doubt the people here who prefer AA over AC have any intention on doing so either.

This thread's mostly reference, and for those few who ardently assert that Asylum is the better game.

I probably see it more than the average user since I read almost every Arkham series thread here, but they are peppered with people stating outright that AA is a completely better game than AC — not that they prefer it, not that they value more linear/basic game design over design that's more open. Just that AA is better and AC is somehow worse. Most of the time, very minimal justification is given for their assertion (AA is "more focused, AC is sloppy and directionless"), and I will occasionally see people discouraged from trying out AC, or saying they won't bother with AC after reading these sentiments.

I made this thread in part because I once thought AC was nothing special after playing through it in one go at a friend's house. I genuinely believe a lot of people who tout AA as being better rushed through the game, then never gave AC a decent chance after that (while their first playthrough of AA seemed better in retrospect) and are missing out on a game they might genuinely love.

The thread won't convince people that they're wrong to feel a certain way about the series because the thread's not meant to do that. It's to show how virtually everything one enjoyed about AA is improved in AC, even the aspects they might have thought were worse at a glance.

This is the problem. You're discussing the quality of a video game. There's no objectively true when it comes to quality outside of technical details like "Does the game crash on this type of hardware?" or "what's the framerate?" A review of a game by its very nature is subjective and it's doubly subjective when you're dealing with two of them. Different people value different things differently as this thread has proven again and again.

As I say above, this thread is, in part, in response to a pretty common sentiment that AA is objectively and entirely better than AC. Look up any Arkham thread here about the games themselves (or even ones that aren't) and you'll see it.

Even without the above in mind: Riddler trophies in AC requiring multi-stage puzzle solving and moving further off of beaten paths, whereas AA's trophies require nothing more than destroying weak walls or hitting single switches is and objective difference. Combat in AC allowing consistent retaining of a combo across more diverse enemy types whereas combos are less likely to be retained when fighting AA's less diverse enemy pool is objective. Everything in that bulleted list from the OP is objective.

Whether someone likes one game, or one aspect of a game over another is subjective. That doesn't mean we get to ignore what people play these games for, what the developers have intended and how those two factors converge in the final product. I don't get to say Tomb Raider 2013 is better than the PS1 games because "there's more action" when I can look at developer documentaries that discuss at length how they wanted to make the game an emotional experience, one driven by survival-based gameplay, then look at the final game that simply does not deliver. I don't get to say Bubsy 3D is better than Super Mario 64 because it's a more "streamlined" experience because time isn't wasted on running from level to level in a huge, sprawling hub that just takes up space.

If you accept that a given game can be better at what it does than another game (or that between two games that are each attempting to do the same thing, one realizes that more fully), then I don't understand why you'd have a problem with this thread. I'm not comparing Shogun II to Katamari Damacy. I'm comparing two games in the same series that are attempting to do very, very similar things and are not as different as many would lead you to believe (as laid out in the OP of this thread).

You can say that different people value different things, and I can say stealth options in AC are more numerous and more intuitively integrated into gameplay than in AA, or any number of other comparisons. "AC is better than AA" is shorthand for all the shared aspects that are simply more fully realized in AC.

So... I'm convinced, but only because you dissected AA so well. I still remember having a much better time with Asylum. I was glued to my playstation for three days. The story fell out at the end, but up until that point, I was 100% on-board.

AC does more of everything, but there's not a lot of connection between the various events. I remember shortly after the start of the game, after they had paraded out all the various villains, sidequests, etc. that I would be dealing with, and I was just... Lost. I ended up doing a few main missions that became all the main missions, and was relieved to be done. The combat is better, but still not good enough to be as big a focus as it is. The traversal becomes it's own thing, and was in fact my favorite part of the game... Had shades of Spiderman 2. You're right in saying that it was both an integral part of being batman and completely impossible in Asylum... But, is swooping around actually all that 'Batman'? When I think of TAS, I remember a few shots of gotham skyline with the theme music, but the action was always in shitty warehouses, sewers, or the very bottom level of the city, which always felt contained as well.

Massive freedom doesn't really mesh with batman in my mind, I guess.

Once again, you're right, you convinced me, AC is the better game by any measure - I just didn't like it much.

Still haven't played Arkham Origins. Was planning on holding out for Arkham Knight instead.

When I think of TAS, I remember a few shots of gotham skyline with the theme music, but the action was always in shitty warehouses, sewers, or the very bottom level of the city, which always felt contained as well.

Massive freedom doesn't really mesh with batman in my mind, I guess.

Each episode of that show only had 22 minutes to devote to a particular story. It was presumed that Batman went on patrol and did other stuff between scene changes/episodes. Those brief shots of swinging/gliding/driving through the city (which was also at the forefront of a given episode occasionally) are the equivalent to running/gliding around Arkham City, or doing the same in Gotham City for Arkham Knight. At the very least, those moments can be exceptionally brief in Arkham City if the player so chooses. Just go straight from the objective in the warehouse to the one in the sewer to the one in the alleyway. Pay attention to what's going on or check the map if you feel lost and you'll always have a specific place you'll need to go to. Going from point to point in AC is no more time consuming than it is in AA.

That said, these are video games and there's no inherent need to limit them to only what you'd get out of other mediums. Since I'm assuming the role of the titular character, why confine what I can do to just those warehouses and sewers? Players who don't like that freedom can ignore it and instead focus on going straight to the more contained areas of which there are/likely will be plenty.

Prefer Asylum better storyline and I liked the setting of the game (people think it's too linear ? but I thought it was grand.... I replay it multiple times of up to 5-10 times a year, whereas I'll play AC once maybe twice).

City's open world nature is good but not GREAT.

AC was great. I never played AA.
Im not a batman fan really, but I liked..

1. Seeing all the villains. Freeze in particular looked (and sounded) awesome.
2. Solving the trophy puzzles was suprizingly fun too.
3. Combat was probably the best Ive seen in any game. Silky smooth animations, counters and beautiful details (loved destroying opponents guns and shields in the middle of a fight).
4. Parts of the city had a great atmosphere (frozen rooftop pool, shopping/bar area with neon signs etc).
5. Nude Catwoman mod... nice.

Eidan

I just finished playing both for the first time this month and I have to say, I'm not sure how anyone could feel AA is the better game. Something to do with tightness? I assume that just means they like hallways.

misho8723

Banned
Yeah, ok .. and I have one reason why AA is better AC (for my) : ATMOSPHERE

P.S. and some things I really loved in AA - Scarecrow scenes were great and I really missed them in AC
AC didn't had any scene which was so great, effective and surprising like the fake "Error" scene
And what about the one room, where you are in first person mode and you see Joker models with TVs.. that scenes were creepy, great written and were just full of great atmosphere...
So yes, AC is better when it comes to gameplay, but AA is the better experience (the same with BioShock 1 and 2)

Soodanim

It's been a while since I played both, but I do remember thinking that AA was the better game than AC. If AA had the fighting improvements that AC introduced, it would be even better. I guess it's the focus in AA that I liked. I really enjoyed AC too, so don't get me wrong. I just think AA wins.

Top Bottom