• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why didn't Titan AE use claymation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They used everything else!

I watched it for the first time last night and what an unfinished mess of a movie that is. I can't believe how terrible the direction was or how plain and bad the character designs for the aliens were.

LakeEarth

Titan AE and the Sinbad movies are the two worst offenders of animated movies not blending the 2D and 3D together well at all (for good blending see Futurama)

DCX

DCX
I liked Titan A.E., it was a decent movie, the art was good...it did seem like a mesh of alot of techs but overall it looks ok.

DCX

Burger

Titan A.E was cool, but it felt like I was playing a Xbox game having the framerate drop to 5 fps every 20 mins.

Fusebox

Banned
Jeez some people find stupid reasons to dislike movies these days - Titan is an ace kids movie, no disputing.

It gives my sub a mad workout too. _b

LakeEarth

Phoenix said:
I liked both Sinbad AND Titan AE. I thought they were cool and very easy on the eyes :)

Yeah the movies were good, it's not like I didn't enjoy them. Just saying the 3D segments clashed.

Fusebox said:
Jeez some people find stupid reasons to dislike movies these days - Titan is an ace kids movie, no disputing.

It gives my sub a mad workout too. _b

I'll agree that the movies' sound effects, especially in DTS, are amazing. The film just has piss poor direction and editing. Why are most regular dialouge sequneces filled with frantic goings on and ridiculous fast talking jittery aliens? Why does almost every shot on the bridge of any ship have to be some kind of sloppy camera orbit to cover the dialouge? The editing during the action scene on the hydrogen tree planet is terrible.

The most effective part of the entire film is the ice field sequence. It looked fantastic and had genuine tension. Everything comes together for those lucky 7 minutes.

Normally I don't bitch about this aspect of any movie, but the rock music every 10 minutes just broke the tone of the film and seemed tacked on.

I'd easily pick Treasure Planet over Titan A.E. if given the choice.

Memles

Warm Machine said:
I'd easily pick Treasure Planet over Titan A.E. if given the choice.

Just watched Treasure Planet last night...having not seen Titan AE I can't comment on the comparison, but enjoyed Treasure Planet. Plus, if you want seemless 3D/2D, just look at Silver/Arm.

Memles

Saturnman said:
Sinbad's 2d animation was awesome. Very kinetic and great angular characters.

But the character design...ick. While the 2D worked, it just seemed too damn generic...while not bad, it just didn't do anything for me.

Not a terrible movie, but it was too one note.

Alucard

Banned
I liked Titan A.E. Yes, the story definitely could have been cleaned up a bit but I still thought the environments and characters were interesting. The main enemy (Dredg? Dreg?...Something like that) moved at like 10 frames per second in certain parts of the movie, and that was really the only thing that bothered me about it. Otherwise, I still occassionally watch the VHS for something light. Man, the potential the movie had though...

It should have been what it was intended as...a complete CG feature. Even then though, the storyline isn't clever enough for it to work and be succesful as a CG feature. It would have bombed all the same. North America is no place for a Sci-Fi animated movie.

nitewulf

titan ae was sort of an anime wannabe, i thought it was ok. a great american animated movie is the iron giant. lovely art, story, everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom