• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Americans love light beers?

Ihyll

Bud Light
Miller Light
Coors Light

Basically the best selling beers are light beers...Why do Americans love light beers? Are they cheaper? Or because you can drink more without getting drunk as fast?

So many better options out there...Sierra Nevada...San Adams Boston Lager...etc...

I never understood this and I hope some in here can tell me why Americans are in love with light beers which most of them taste just like water

What an ignorant, worthless thread. When another country has a craft beer scene that can compete with ours you can resume making fun of American beer.

SMattera

It's not just Americans. The world's best selling beer is Snow, the Budlight of China.

It's a cheap and easy way to get a buzz.

Ihyll

What an ignorant, worthless thread. When another country has a craft beer scene that can compete with ours you can resume making fun of American beer.

I'm not making fun of American beers...I'm asking why Americans love light beers when they have so much better options available to them.

I'm American by the way and it's a shame that most people would rather drink Bud Light and probably haven't even heard of Sierra Nevada

Can drink a lot of it for cheap. Can drink it like water really. Sierra Nevada is too rich to drink like water.

I mean I love stouts, but they aren't cheap.

This isn't exclusive to America. The top selling beer in Belgium is Jupiler, a mass produced adjunct lager. Whether the label says light or not, adjunct lagers are mostly low ABV and flavorless.

PillarEN

Marketing and price is the combo. No American is going to buy light beers in foreign countries where "light beer" is not even a beer marketing concept (most countries) and they will simply buy whatever is available which will likely be the cheaper stuff too. But yeah I don't know why "light beer" is such a huge thing. I wonder if it's the same thing like "diet pop".

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Light American lagers are basically the best selling beer in every country in the world.

Basically this.

"Hey, here's a poorly crafted drink that will get you fucked up and doesn't cost as much as the good stuff. Wanna buy two cases of it for the price of one?"

Cheaper, less calories, still get you drunk. People who tend to like light beers don't dabble in the good stuff much, they like the cheap stuff. It's also what many grew up with or what they have access too. Go to a sports game and it's often nothing but these crappy beers.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Basically this.

"Hey, here's a poorly crafted drink that will get you fucked up and doesn't cost as much as the good stuff. Wanna buy two cases of it for the price of one?"

Seriously though. Pick any country that's not Germany and I'm pretty sure it will be a light adjunct lager. Be it Stella or tiger or Tsing Tao.

Canada? Belgium? Germany?

On topic. I've only gone to light beers due to calories. The flavour is ok but a good half of what a regular beer is in the same catagory.

Kas

I hate beer with a firey passion of 10,000 burning suns.

Then I came to Europe and had this light German beer.

I still don't like it, but I can drink it and it's pretty tasty.

I hate beer with a firey passion of 10,000 burning suns.

Then I came to Europe and had this light German beer.

I still don't like it, but I can drink it and it's pretty tasty.

There are good examples of American made lagers and Pilsners. The big macro adjuncts one aren't good examples, but I will always love an ice cold Miller High Life after mowing the lawn, unironically.

Iorv3th

Marketing it so that light beer has less calories fewer carbs etc. Also cheaper and more available. I like some imported beers but i'm not going to find them at every bar/restaurant I go to. People want what they are familiar with generally.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Less calories
Generic decent flavor that everyone can agree on (IPAs are far too bitter for me for instance)
Tastes good when it's hot outside which can be more than half the year in much of the US
Cheap
Availability
Familiarity

I'm not making fun of American beers...I'm asking why Americans love light beers when they have so much better options available to them.

I'm American by the way and it's a shame that most people would rather drink Bud Light and probably haven't even heard of Sierra Nevada

Sierra Nevada is like $10 for a 6-pack...versus $19 for a 24 of Miller.

Do the math

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
You know how sometimes you want egg drop soup, and other times you go for the double stuffed lobster bisque with creme fraiche. It's like that.

Jasup

This isn't exclusive to America. The top selling beer in Belgium is Jupiler, a mass produced adjunct lager. Whether the label says light or not, adjunct lagers are mostly low ABV and flavorless.

And basically indistinguishable from Stella Artois for most people. The same goes for any other best seller lagers. Small variations here and there, but in the end they all are pretty much the same, only the label changes.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I never even understood what light beers are. Anyone care to enlighten me?

I was confused by this thread because in Australia light beer means beer with low alcohol content, but apparently it means low calories in the states?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Sin taxes makes alcohol expensive and these beers get you drunk with a relatively high alcohol vs nonalcohol calorie ratio

Top Bottom