• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people love Monster Hunter games?

Wooxsvan

love the grind
Sexy Six Pack GIF by chescaleigh

I played MH Generations for a lot of hours (a lot of hours for a game I wasn't particularly enjoying, anyway) and always felt like there was some element of the combat I was missing. I would just hack away at the monsters for 20-plus minutes and they would never die.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, this scared me away almost instantly when I tried that MH that was on Game Pass (was it Rise? I’m not sure).
Half an hour of endless basic stuff thrown at you. Cats, dogs, birds, an entire marketplace that you still can’t really visit but it already has too much stuff to remember. A barrage of tutorials and descriptions written in the tiniest font you can fit on a 4K screen because fuck you. Then they gave me the most unwieldy weapon ever and sent me down an earth slide to my first mission with even more tutorials before I could even take a swing. I quit before even seeing a single monster.
Pussy...in your avatar.

Kazdane

North Carolina Reaction GIF by Carolina Panthers

Kidding aside, I must admit my experience with Monster Hunter World wasn't what I was expecting and it's similar to what others are sharing. I wanted to check what made people love this series so much, but unfortunately it didn't click with me. I don't question why people love it, though. I'm sure it's a great franchise (sales don't lie) that has provided countless hours of fun, but unfortunately it didn't happen in my case (not that I'm hurting for great games to play, anyways).

It may simply be that it just isn't your cup of tea. I like the Civilization games and I've played a few of them occasionally, but never felt like I could spend hours upon hours playing. Why? Because strategy games rarely catch my attention (I can kinda guess why people would play a map for a ludicrous amount of turns, too).

Last edited:
Awh, the greatsword strikes again. It’s big and powerful yet so slow and you can’t hit a monster. Fuck this game it sucks 🤣🤣🤣

It's ok to not like things. Not every game is made for every single person. If you don't enjoy the gameplay, MH may just not be for you. And that's ok. There's plenty of genres that are clearly well-made and bring people lots of enjoyment that I just do not care for at all. And that's totally fine.

i'm not sure what it is, but there's just something just so irresistibly 'charming' about monster hunter that all the clunky/goofy aspects of the mechanics just can't stop me from completely enjoying myself. for me, it's animal crossing, but with hunting...

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I have no idea. I've tried and tried to get into them but I cannot figure it out. No XP is no go from me.

Those games feel like they're just manipulating the player with non stop chores.
The tiny little trickle of dopamine the player gets when they occasionally get a new sword only so they can run and out use it to kill a slightly bigger monster and get a bigger sword again, stuck in an endless loop, just feels cynical and sickening to me.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
The combat is really fun IMO, the monsters are fairly varied and mastering the encounters by learning their moves and patters is fun in a similar way to the souls games. Also it's a lot of fun to play with friends in coop. And If you don't like the slow heavy sword there are plenty of faster weapons to choose from. Personally I like the charge blade because you've got a mix of faster attacks but also devastating slow ones.

That said, I do think they are too grindy and I've always disliked how several mechanics and many aspects of the game design seem like they were intentionally made to be more repetitive and time consuming than necessary.

I'm also not that much into the end game. Long time fans will tell you the story is basically the tutorial but I honestly don't see the appeal in many of the end game activities as it's more of the same with the grind and repetition turned up to 11

Last edited:

Codes 208

I have no idea. I've tried and tried to get into them but I cannot figure it out. No XP is no go from me.
there is xp, it goes to your rank which determines where you can go, the difficulty you can choose and the level of weapons you can forge

My only complaint with older monster hunter games, MY ONLY COMPLAINT, were the loading screens between areas but thats a non-issue in world and rise

Last edited:

EekTheKat

Not a lot of games gives you this :

Modern Monster Hunter at least is fantastic at giving you that dopamine rush when you land that high risk high reward move.

RaptorGTA

I can remember trying to play demo on the Wii U. Couldn't beat the first monster. Gave up.

A few days later...cause I see people ravijg about Monster Hunter...I go and watch a basic tutorial video.

Go back to the demo and beat the first monster. Was instantly hooked.

The complaints of the combat being 'slow', I get it. You gotta plan your attacks, get the timing of the monsters. Chase the monster down.

I can see it being not everyone tea...didn't think it was for me either. Then once it clicked...I was hooked.

april6e

Monster Hunter 4U/World/Rise nails the concept of an end game harder than any game I've ever played that isn't named World of Warcraft Classic or Path of Exile. It is hard to explain if you have never played it but even on a casual level, you easily can spend 150hrs+ min maxing your character on the conservative end and every moment of it is a joy. You constantly are getting meaningful upgrades and experiencing new content that challenges you in different ways.

Last edited:

Doom85

Yeah, never found them appealing. After trying both MH World and the first God Eater game, neither really clicked with me even after putting dozens and dozens of hours into both of them due to fans insisting it would “click” eventually.

Top Bottom