• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why do so many people act like fast food is gross when it's actually great

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
OK guys, I admit this time. The whoppers werent the best. Check out this lame one. Worst ever.
ZjZ01uL.jpg

Vagswarm

Just curious, you guys agree that there's a tier between fast food and sit down family restaurants (not even spiffy steakhouses or anything)?

Like portuguese chicken places and afghan kebob kind of places IMO are definitely a step above McDonalds food, but the places can be sketchy in terms of looks and they might not have any seats inside. So food better, aesthetics dumpier than a chain.

Or do you guys classify these places with Burger King?
Depends on where you go and what you get. As with fast food, there's only a limited amount of selection that's good for you. I like to go to Perkins and get their Grilled Salmon w/ Baked Potato (plain) and Broccoli. Totally good for you. But it's easy to make at home as well.

Check the nutritional value; almost every major company has a website. Restaurant food contains a lot of sodium to preserve the taste, but it's not good to have it in excess. They also add a lot more to the dish, like meats.

Just looking at something like the Chicken, Bacon & Broccoli Pasta at Perkins: https://www.calorieking.com/us/en/f...n-bacon-broccoli-pasta/w5gFe3XESc-G51N9a_F84A

That's just one serving, for one meal, in one day. Already at or near the max of everything you should take in every day. 2,900 sodium is way too much in one sitting. And that Saturated Fat is insane.

Last edited:

Tschumi

There are strata in fast food, macdonalds is firmly in the "how much does the chef care?" zone, whereas Japan's own "Mos Burger" seems more healthy then a morning salad and a dip in the pool...

KFC depends on what country you're in, as the way they prepare their chicken varies widely depending on local tastes.. in Vietnam the chicken is dark grey and slimey and spicy, in Japan they love having a big juicy slough of skin on all their breast pieces, in 'straya it's straight up... I got whole years of my life not eating KFC..

lem0n

Fast food is yummy so long as you choose the right spots and right items on the menu. It's usually health nuts/snobs that have anything to say about it. Either that, or someone that's been sick because of it before. In those cases I get it but like shut the fuck up and let people enjoy things.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I had to google that imagw and see it's from In and Out Burger. Never tried it as it's not around here. Man that looks good. Sonic Burger is another place I've wanted to try.
Sonic is trash tier for food, though my location might just be particularly bad. They have some fairly unique and tasty drinks/slushes though. And their ice cream stuff is okay.

In-N-Out is pure quality. Them and Chick-Fil-A off the top of my head are the two fast food places where you get consistently good food, and friendly well trained service. Popeye's, MickeyDees, Jack in the Box, Taco Bell, and most others will hire just about any ol' junkie and it shows.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
fast food just has too much dam sodium its a problem and makes u feel sick if u eat it too much unless ur really low on sodium I admit I usually have one high sodium meal/snack per day (cheese sandwich or mac/cheese sometimes veggie pizza) but anymore than that and I'm disgusted

Last edited:

GloveSlap

I used to love me some Taco Bell, but it was either way better in the 90s/early 2000s or i'm just the one who changed. Its also pretty expensive now. We used to roll up with like 4 dirtbags in the car and be it would be like 10 bucks total.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
it is gross because everytime i have fast food, i get long digestion bloatedness

when i eat freshly prepared food, my stomach felt great.

aclar00

Just curious, you guys agree that there's a tier between fast food and sit down family restaurants (not even spiffy steakhouses or anything)?

Like portuguese chicken places and afghan kebob kind of places IMO are definitely a step above McDonalds food, but the places can be sketchy in terms of looks and they might not have any seats inside. So food better, aesthetics dumpier than a chain.

Its not quite simple to categorize fast food in my opinion...at least not today. I assume the term literally meant food you can get fast, regardless of quality...but now its connotation is based primarily on quality to me.

Mediterranean places to me generally arent considered fast food, even if i can walk in and out in 5 mins. The ingredients are generally pretty good, have been pre cooked in bulk and likely arent highly processed and frozen.

Burger place i like is Fatburger...technically a fast food spot, but beef is never frozen and you can see them pull out and cook the fresh beef. The meat isnt already cooked and then just reheated in a microwave or warmer.

Hell, most sitdown chain restaurants are fast food in my opinion...aka the Sizzlers, Red Lobsters and Olive Gardens of the world...edible, but utterly garbage in my opinion.

Also, Chic Fil A and In N Out are both overrated, but def xhoose In N Out over the two...good quality vs price ratio.

So in short, there are various tiers of food joints IMO and all kinds of establishments can have quality issues.

The more you expand your horizons, spend a little more and just have new experiences the more likely you realize are not so great tasting McDonalds and similar tiered restaurants are. Like drinking, if all you know is rock gut liquor, well...then youll probably love it cause you dont know any better.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Fast food hamburgers and fries are generally really good.

Personally for me Subway, Taco Bell etc I just cannot get down with. Im not snobby, it just does not taste good to me. I can get awesome deli sandwiches and awesome tacos elsewhere.

Soodanim

I wonder how many of the opinions are different not only because of American state, but because of country. A McDonalds or Burger King is going to be different in the UK, without a doubt.

I really like the Plant Based Whopper. Tastes and feels just like a Whopper to me, but without the grease and mess. Win/win. Burger King is so fucking expensive here though. Luckily for me I have fast food from the big chains about once a year.

Last edited:

B D Joe

Takeaway pizza is tasty and local establishments are usually good quality if that qualifies as fast food.

But the big places like McDonald's, KFC, subway etc are just terrible to me. At this point it's barely even food and the ones I've tried in past couple years haven't even tasted nice.

The fact that KFC comes in a bucket tells you everything you need to know about what you're getting, and what the chief executive's think of you!

Last edited:

TonyK

I truly dislike fast food, it feels unnatural and tastes very weird. I'm Spanish, so maybe it's because fast food tastes very different from Mediterranean diet.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
quality consistency, as mentioned, makes all the difference in taste.

I’ll go to McDonald’s sometimes and it’s warm, salty, and they even remembered not to just stack all three pickles on top of each other. It’s so good I’ll go back later that week.

and then when you do, you get some stale, lukewarm crap, with three pickles stacked on top of each other in the middle of the burger.
Seriously, what the hell is that? Take the time to spread out the pickles for god sake. It’s like they literally dispense them from a tube and just set the stack on the burger, it’s the laziest thing ever.

yeah, my local McDonald’s is run like trash. They’ve done that pickle thing hellla times, so I know it’s how their being trained. “Just set the pickles on top! we don’t have time to make art here!” Prob a good thing for my health.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

It’s grossly unhealthy: often calorically saturated and pumped full of nitrates, preservatives and other horrible chemicals. I would think the obesity epidemic would indicate its health risks while synonymously validating the OPs opinion that fast food tastes good and is desirable—no one is arguing the latter two points.

Still, if you’re above the poverty line you can make much better food for yourself, far cheaper and tastier than anything you will ever get from McDonald’s. Everyone acts like they have a shortage of time and resources, then they spend 3-4 hours a day watching YT, Twitch, TV or playing video games and ordering $20 or more worth of fast food. We have a shortage of self-care (actual self-care, not love yourself cause you’re 400lbs bs), time-management and healthy habits in North America. We do not have a shortage of time or money for the most part, especially not if we’re discussing something that is clearly a luxury like fast food.

Raven117

Because it is actually crap op. And bad for you.

can I find something I don’t mind on a menu. Sure. As you said chick fila is not bad…. It’s not about snobbery, it’s about fast food sucking.

Methos#1975

Hell no, sit down family owned local places are completely separate entities imo

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
is it just so they can feel superior? or do they think everyone else hates it so they lie to try to fit in? mcdonald's served like 25 billion customers last year. apparently people like the food.

i hear it about almost every chain. there are a few darlings though that even the cynics have to admit they like, Chick fil A for example.

lately subway has been getting torn up because of the 'fake tuna' BS and all it did was make me want subway.

I don't get it often because it's not healthy, but any day i'm getting fast food is a good day as far as I'm concerned.
Fast food might have a bad name due to it generally being junk food. Working in a McDonald's as a teen I discovered how much salt goes into a beef patty or on the fries. However, to me it's a nice treat to have once a month. It's not gross. Some of the health smoothies I've seen people make register far more gross than fast food.

Boss Mog

The problem with fast food isn't the taste. Of course it tastes good because there's a shitload of salt and artificial flavor enhancers. An Umami wet dream. But that also makes it bad for your health, like really bad. More than the shit ingredients, it's all the unnecessary calories fast food has that makes it really bad for you, especially if you eat it often.

I found that I can make my own burgers at home with quality ingredients that not only taste better but also have half, if not a third, of a fast food burger's calories.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Fast Food will kill you. It is cheap because it cuts tons of corners in terms of nutrition and other health safety measures.

Fast Food can give you diabetes, cancer, bone diseases, brain damage, etc. It is the number one reason behind the health crisis in the USA.

This is one of many studies on it.

KielCasto

Fast food is bad although I eat some once in a while since they taste good.
And in that once in a while moment, my body feels heavy and sluggish.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I generally think national fast food chain food tastes awful.. not trying to feel superior, it's just quickly heated up frozen food for the most part.

Mossybrew

Little Caesars, which used to be a beacon of consistency & great value, now often insists on selling you the extra most bestest pizzas instead of their $5 classics. The $6 ones have an insane amount of grease; you can usually see it seeping through the bottom of the box after a few hours.

I quickly learned that "extra most bestest" simply meant "extra greasy" and stopped ordering those. I still get the two for tuesday basic pepperonis, and at least at my local place, it is a pretty good pizza to get two of them for like 13 bucks.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

People acting like they too good for McDonalds are liars. You know you all like that Mcdouble quit lyin

Honestly McDonalds is bottom tier fast food that I'll eat if there's like no other option. In town I would rather have Jack In the Box, Burger King, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Five Guys, Subway even Arby's all before I'd ever want McDonalds. I'm still sad there's no Carl's Jr in town, it's a 40 minute drive just to get to one, or that would be my first choice.

Last edited:
It depends on the place, but yea I would still rather eat a freshly cooked meal. Fast food is a cheap time-saving alternative to traditional cooking. That's all it is, and that's all it will ever be.

Top Bottom