• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I wish I went to Evo 2004, Daigo the badass. SF3:3rd

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That was awesome, the crowd reaction got me so excited. Now I wish I would have gone.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That video made me want to pop in Third Strike again. Not only was that parry awesome, but the jump to combo finish was just awesome. As soon as my copy of the Anni Collection comes in, I'm going to practice my butt off. I might never get that good, but I want to kick some major ass in town.

soakrates

Like the message at the end of the video says, you had to be there.

I was, luckily enough. People wanted Justin (the Chun Li player) to lose so badly, and almost understandably so. When Daigo parried the last hit of the super and followed up with the finishing combo, it had to be some of the loudest cheering I'd ever heard.

Whatever you do, don't load up the video with your speakers or headphones above 3 or so. Or else, peace out.

Ferrio

Banned
He's not blocking it (if he had blocked it he would of died). He parried it. ie everytime chun li goes to kick he hits foward on the joystick. You need pretty precise timing, or you won't parry and you'll end up eating a move.

The move looks slow since he's parrying it, but normally it's really quick, and not all the kicks are spaced evenly so you can't just get one rhythm down to do it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
O_O

I've always wanted to see that; the crowd reaction was awesome too. :)

TheDiave

Banned
I wish I coulda gone to EVO... Oh well, who am I kidding? Even the worst of these guys could kick my ass at 3rd Strike... Now play some old school shit like SF2:CE and it's on like Donkey Kong! :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
This is a video that everyone on the forum should be required to watch.

CRAZYNESS.

Damn, is there any doubt that SF3 is one of the best agmes ever after watching that? I'm so glad I got my import copy...but to play it like that. That was just fucking unreal. That's the best video game skill movie I've seen. I've read about that guy before...but holy shit.

I've seen that move parried before, mainly in combo videos and such, never in an actual match. Daigo fucking smoked Wong right there.

I dunno if that's the HARDEST move to parry though, Ken's SAIII is a complete asshole, it has 1 frame startup time, so you basically have to parry before the move even comes out. I've only seen that done twice.

It's a shame that KO won Evo again, I think Daigo deserves it just for that.

Evo DVDs may have to get bought if there are more moments like that on them.

AND EVERYONE COME TO T5 ON AUGUST 13-15!

toohectic

I was there. People were just going ape shit; cheering loud as hell and jumping up and down like madmen. The floor was shaking like crazy that it almost felt like the building was gonna fall down. :lol:

Anyway, Justin Wong (the Chun player) is the undefeated MvC2 champion taking the win in every MvC2 tourney he has ever entered (for the last 4 years). Lately he has also proven to be a force in other SF games such as ST, CvS2, and 3S. Despite his turtle style, most of his hatred stems from his MvC2 domination, and I don't think people want to see his domination carry on to other games. People want to see an American win, just not that one. :)

Also, that super is difficult to parry not only because of the varied timing (it's 4,3,4,3,1), but at most distances, the parry must be practically inputted before the super is even activated. It's similar to Sagat's CvS2 tiger raid low super where if you aren't blocking low when it flashes... you are basically screwed. So essentially, you need to predict when the super will be activated. If you haven't already tapped forward for the parry a few frames before the flash occurs, you are done for. (Since parries are 1F activation, I think you can input the parry during the super flash, but it's still pretty difficult.) Justin was pretty far away though, so at that distance, prediction wasn't outright necessary. You can see Justin was attempting to throw off Diago's timing by randomly throwing out attacks at a distance and you can see Diago inputting f f f b f f f b etc incase the super was activated.

In other words.... Yea, you had to be there. That was just 1 of the many awesome moments. ST finals were too good as well. Uppercut eraser!

Shouta

Anyway, Justin Wong (the Chun player) is the undefeated MvC2 champion taking the win in every MvC2 tourney he has ever entered (for the last 4 years).

You should've seen the debacle two or 3 years ago where the bastard won by using a runaway storm (and not to mention the format was fucked up). He's damn good but there's people out there that's just as good.

That was an awesome moment. I saw people parrying that super in Japan like mad (actually, a guy beat me by parrying my SAII with Chun-li) but man, the circumstances behind that make it great.

Takuan

VERY well done. He had the distance to parry the super after activation, but the way he made sure to be in the air while parrying the last kick so that he could set up that last combo was genius. Very few have the quick wits to do that - I know I would've panicked while parrying the super and lost.

toohectic

jett said:
LOL look at the little shit mashing on the controls while Daigo is pwning him!
LOL, of course. He's used to Marvel. Mashing can get you out of a lot of shit in that game. Not to mention, it might have a positive effect of messing up your opponents timing.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
the Chun player should've threw a fireball, then followed it it the combo.

bjork

Ha, that was pretty great. Both of my coworkers took the weekend off to go to this, and I heard about this guy, but I didn't know everyone went apeshit like that.

evil ways

I don't think I've ever parried more than 3 attacks in a row, I get shaky and desperate, this guy was cool, calculating and pulled everything off at a crucial moment where he was nearly completely beaten.

That's what made it better, that it wasn't one of those moments where both players had the same energy and it was a matter of 1-2 hits before either won, Chun-Li had a little less that half the energy bar and got schooled, big time.

I wish these tourneys/get togethers where held in my area, maybe one of these days I'll schedule a vacation and fly to one of them.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
My friend showed me his handi-cam footage from the tournament and it's just as cool. People jumped up towards the end so you can't even see the screen because everyone is going crazy. Pretty cool.

rastex

Banned
That was one of the greatest videogame videos I've ever seen, dear God...

I mean, I"ve seen people parry 2 of Akuma's Super Fireballs at the same time (which is ridiculous in itself) but just the context and everything about this video is what makes it stand far and above all others.

parrying SAII in training is difficult as mentioned above
parrying SAII in a match with a skilled player is incredibly difficult as mentioned above
Now, combine that with the fact that he had immense pressure on him in that he had 0 life, so blocking it would have meant death, it was the final round, AND he has thousands of people looking on him to beat the hated opponent.

AND THEN on top of ALL OF THAT he busts out a ridiculous combo to finish him off!!!!!

Dear God...

shoplifter

I've parried SAII a grand total of ONCE. My cousin nearly threw the stick at the TV in frustration.

I don't plan on ever doing it again.

Totally owning Justin like that was fucking awesome though.

DrDogg

I haven't played SF in over a decade. I've been 100% 3D for the past 6-7 years. I can't stand all the 3D haters at Evo.

...but this was just TOO GOOD!

tenchir

Holy shit, I didn't know the event took place at my old college(Cal Poly Pomona). I could have been there.

Edit: Motherfucker, I went to a movie on that day in Ontario Mill(15 minutes from Pomona)

Edit 2: I think I saw a group of people I know who haven't graduated from Pomona yet.

Edit 3: I seen that moved parry often whenever I was in the Union, this guy who parried it always seem to play SF3 whenever I visit there once in a while. I wonder if he's the same person in the video(The chubby dude).

Ferrio

Banned
Good to see the video is getting attention. It's stuff like this that should spark people's interest in actually *learning* fighting games.

Top Bottom