• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I wish I went to Evo 2004, Daigo the badass. SF3:3rd

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ferrio said:
Good to see the video is getting attention. It's stuff like this that should spark people's interest in actually *learning* fighting games.

It did, I've always been interested in learning the really technical aspects of fighting games, but this really pushed me to do so. And I didn't know there were so many great Street Fighter III: Third Strike players in Austin, TX. I think I've actually seen some of them before, but I mainly play DDR so I dont think I've faced off against anyone. I'm already getting ready for 2 upcoming tournaments in the area, so I'm reading and studying to improve my strategy. This video just sparked me to get back into the tournament scene.

You know the really weird thing is that I hated Third Strike the first few times I played it. It seemed so limited and grounded to me (someone who was "taught" of the Capcom vs games) but after awhile it so exploded with depth. Same for Virtua Fighter...but I've just about given up on finding competition for that around here.

Eugh, there is just so much to learn. Luckily I got a job interview tomorrow, but Im hitting up the arcade right after. Im going to get plenty of practice :p

miyuru

Sweet! It's things like this that make SF rock, just all those great moments that happen just like in any other sport. It's not just the fact that Daigo pulled a sweet parry -> super, it's that he did it when he'd otherwise die.

He didn't just save himself, but he came back and won the match at the same time! Sick, so sick!

Ferrio

Banned
Grizzlyjin said:
It did, I've always been interested in learning the really technical aspects of fighting games, but this really pushed me to do so. And I didn't know there were so many great Street Fighter III: Third Strike players in Austin, TX. I think I've actually seen some of them before, but I mainly play DDR so I dont think I've faced off against anyone. I'm already getting ready for 2 upcoming tournaments in the area, so I'm reading and studying to improve my strategy. This video just sparked me to get back into the tournament scene.

You know the really weird thing is that I hated Third Strike the first few times I played it. It seemed so limited and grounded to me (someone who was "taught" of the Capcom vs games) but after awhile it so exploded with depth. Same for Virtua Fighter...but I've just about given up on finding competition for that around here.

Eugh, there is just so much to learn. Luckily I got a job interview tomorrow, but Im hitting up the arcade right after. Im going to get plenty of practice :p

Psst, use Makoto.

soakrates

Although parrying SA2 is not exactly unheard of, it's still very impressive, especially under those circumstances.

Still, what strikes me the most is how Daigo just held it down despite the do-or-die conditions, the difficulty of the parry, and the crowd yelling the damned roof off the place. Nothing short of an H-bomb could put a dent in those nerves.

Ryu

Amazing video. Stunning actually. Nerves of steel for sure. It's too bad moments like this will most likely never be duplicated through the online mdoe on the xbox. :(

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ferrio said:
Psst, use Makoto.

Eugh, no way. My friend is a Makoto and Ken user. I usually play against him, he would know what I'm going to do before I do it.

His knowledge of the character + knowing my tactics = death

I like Ryu and Sean, but I've noticed that lots of people play with Makoto. I wouldn't expect that to be one of the most popular characters.

The person I've really wanted to learn is Ibuki, but I just can't find the time. And my damn Dreamcast won't work, I'm not going to be able to practice at home until I either buy a new one or the Anniversary Collection comes out, whichever comes first.

miyuru

Urien/Oro can be insane if you learn them. I'd say Oro would be more frustrating to learn, but it'd be worth it.

Ferrio

Banned
Grizzlyjin said:
Eugh, no way. My friend is a Makoto and Ken user. I usually play against him, he would know what I'm going to do before I do it.

His knowledge of the character + knowing my tactics = death

I like Ryu and Sean, but I've noticed that lots of people play with Makoto. I wouldn't expect that to be one of the most popular characters.

The person I've really wanted to learn is Ibuki, but I just can't find the time. And my damn Dreamcast won't work, I'm not going to be able to practice at home until I either buy a new one or the Anniversary Collection comes out, whichever comes first.

Only people who hate Makoto are Akuma users!

Ibuki is cool, gotta work hard for the wins though.

So eh Ferrio, do you have links to any other sweet 3S videos?

Sorry no.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
simply insane.

so is there like a dvd of this evo event or something? link?

MoxManiac said:
As much as I love Hugo, isn't he bottom tier? :p

I don't play by tiers, just who agrees with me. That being said, I remember a thread on SRK about no one in tourneys using Hugo...until there was one guy who destroyed everyone with him. He'd parry and take off large pieces of health with hugos basic strikes. Add in a press or two and booyah, Hugowned!!!

Grifter

Ferrio said:
Good to see the video is getting attention. It's stuff like this that should spark people's interest in actually *learning* fighting games.

I agree, are you going to learn one soon too?

If you follow the "I was there" accounts on SRK, Daigo may have been toying with Justin, so he just may be sick enough to have planned that out. I stopped play 3S long ago so I'm not sure if the parry input came before the super activation, which would be just nuts.

XS+

Banned
So what are the easiest and hardest SAs to parry? I can consistently parry Ryu's SAI and SAIII and Ibuki's SAI (when I'm prepared for them), and I've seen Chun Li's SAII sucessfully parried before. Which SAs are parry-friendly and which are near-impossible?

XS+

Banned
OMG I'm a Third Strike master and I don't even know it.

I'm pretty sure supers like Oro's EX SAI, Chun Li's SAI and Gill's Seraphic Wing are way tougher to parry than the ones I listed.

belgurdo

Banned
Is Seraphic Wing even possible to hit? I got tagged by this once and I assumed it was just some instant kill thing Gill did if you didn't beat him fast enough

Grifter

The move from Bison to Gill always bugged me. Bi-colored muscle dude in undies with the creative supers of full regeneration and blasting the entire screen. It's like a fanfic brainstormed boss.

Agent X

Ferrio said:

I agree. Now I want Street Fighter Anniversary Collection even more! :)

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Look at how Wong is mashing the controllers after the third parry. Too funny.

Ferrio

Banned
Haha that 300 meg video is wacky.

Just a whole bunch of wacky 2 hit combos editted very well together. They show so many fucking different games, even shitty ones.

Coolest thing they do is have characters from totally different games, and they have the same damn moves and they s how them back to back.

Haha they even show Bridget's 2 hit combo intro.

They even included wargods.... that's devotion.

Wow the editting is fucking awesome

At one point you see ryu dragon punch, then the screen windowblinds and it's ryu in SF2 in the same position and continues.

Ferrio

Banned
Ya couldn't thought of a better person to tribute it to.

Oh and my girl is featured at the very end.... more reason why she's awesome.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
a b!tch to shrink under 150k but here:

pwned3.gif

aku:jiki

This could be the very best piece of video footage I've ever seen. I'd imagine it's the exact same feeling sports fans get when that miraculous touchdown or dunk comes out of nowhere. And before this thread, I probably would've said I'm not very into fighters and that it wouldn't interest me. In fact, I ignored the thread for hours because of it. How wrong I was!

And screw anybody trying to downplay the greatness of this. Come on. Yeah, you might be good at the game too, but don't ruin everybody else's fun. I mean, it's not just about the immense display of skill -- as has been stated, granted -- it's the whole thing. The overwhelming crowd participation, what people have shared about that Justin guy, the whole situation in which it happened makes for a very amazing video.

I know I'll be looking for at least one of the versions of SF3 when I go to the games store after work today!

nubbe

You can watch this over and over and it's just as spectacular every time
The jump parry is the best part… damn show off :)

When I first saw that vid, I thought it was freaking awesome, when I watched it the second time and saw that ken players health bar, that's when I knew that it was truly an amazing feat. It's not just that the move is hard to parry but you have the immense pressure of dying if you fuck up.

I usally hate combo vids cause there pretty boring one guy either in practice mode or has his friend just sit there...yawn...but this video....DAMN!

I wasn't really into SF3 but that vid makes me wanna start playing it.

Top Bottom