• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is it so damned HOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've had a problem getting my case temp. down.

I've got two fans on the back blowing out, one is a generic fan, dunno the RPM's. the secondi s a Vantec Tornado TD8038H, 5700 RPM..... but even with that in there my case temp is still at 39 degrees Celcius.

There's a fan on the video card, there's a fan on the CPU/Heatsync and there's an intake fan on the front of the case.

The only way I can seem to get it cool is to take the side off and point a big desk fan in there, and then I can get it to drop down to about 30-22 (depending on the weather)

This wouldn't be such a problem if my computer didn't reset when my case temp goes over 40 degrees..........

:( HELP ME PLEASE.. I'm fed up with my computer resetting in the middle of a game because my case temp goes up.

I want to smash it, smash it all.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/18/2004, 18:33:05
Machine name: PRIDEROCK
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/12/03 19:29:54 Ver: 08.00.09
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 254MB used, 2210MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0902 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: RADEON 9600 SERIES
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON 9600 Series AGP (0x4150)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4150&SUBSYS_2066148C&REV_00
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (16 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Gateway VX920
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6430 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Oh, the motherboard is an Asus P4P800 Deluxe

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Translation:

P4 3.0 C
1024 MB of System RAM, probably PC3200
Ati Radeon 9600 something 128 MB
Windows XP Pro

That's all he seemd to list.

My P4 3.0 C runs at 40 C idle, 50 C Load. I've overclocked it to 3.5 Ghz. So heat is not your problem me thinks.

rc213

Look for a overheating temp setting in the bios. Whats the watts on your PSU? U sure its not crashing on some kind of error?

teh_pwn

"Ok, so maybe there's a setting somewhere on the MoBo that's resetting it when the temp goes above 40"

Maybe...usually they do that at 70-80 Celcius. In that case, you'd want it to shut down. That's too damn hot.

Resets can also be caused by viruses and weaker power supplies.

I'd guess power supply if it's only happening during games. Your PSU would have to supply the most power then.

Also try getting the newest Ati Drivers. The drivers that come with the computer or utilities disc blow and will cause crashing.

teh_pwn said:
"Ok, so maybe there's a setting somewhere on the MoBo that's resetting it when the temp goes above 40"

Maybe...usually they do that at 70-80 Celcius. In that case, you'd want it to shut down. That's too damn hot.

Resets can also be caused by viruses and weaker power supplies.

I'd guess power supply if it's only happening during games. Your PSU would have to supply the most power then.

Also try getting the newest Ati Drivers. The drivers that come with the computer or utilities disc blow and will cause crashing.

Ok, the Virus thing is out since it was doing this off a clean install, how would I check and see if my powersupply is too weak ?

teh_pwn

First update the drivers because it could just be your video card.

As for PSU, there's got to be a program that monitors that stuff. Someone else will have to give a suggestion because I've never done it before.

teh_pwn said:
First update the drivers because it could just be your video card.

As for PSU, there's got to be a program that monitors that stuff. Someone else will have to give a suggestion because I've never done it before.

Everytime I update my video drivers, my system won't boot. I have no idea why. It's retarded.

Felidae_Khrall said:
Everytime I update my video drivers, my system won't boot. I have no idea why. It's retarded.

I had that problem when I did a fresh Install on this machine. Whenever I installed the new Nvidia drivers my pc would hang at the Windows loading screen. Had to install some drivers that were a few months old, and then install the newest ones. No idea why, but it worked.

Motherboard Monitor will monitor your psu rails, fan speeds etc.

teh_pwn

How are you doing installing them?

Download the drivers to your desktop.

First you need to uninstall the old ones from add/remove programs.

Reboot.

Immediately install drivers when windows loads. Everything should be ugly and 800x600.

Sometimes windows xp is a bitch and tries to install drivers without asking, so you've got to be fast.

Burger

Whats the ambient room temperature ?? If you room is like the tropics then you could have as many fans as you want, they won't do very much.

Yeah, I bought a window air conditioner for my room, and it works great. I have it set to 72 degrees F, and it dropped my case temperatures by almost 10 degrees. It can be over 100 degrees outside, and my case temperature is around 80-81.

Ok, I'm not sure If i've solved my problem or not, but I managed to get the newest Catalyst drivers in without fux0rzing my system completly.

Anyone know of a program that is compatibile with Vantec Fans to control the RPM's ? I tried Speedfan, but it doesn't seem to work.

I couldn't find anything in the bios that would make my computer shut down...

How would I know if it's the power supply doing it (I can already monitor it, I just don't know what would make my PC shut down automatically)

DonasaurusRex said:
slide off the side panel on yer box there should be an info sticker right htere on the side.

yeah but grr the important half is covered by a metal panel... i'll have to remove it if I want to see it.

Felidae_Khrall said:
Ok, I'm not sure If i've solved my problem or not, but I managed to get the newest Catalyst drivers in without fux0rzing my system completly.

Anyone know of a program that is compatibile with Vantec Fans to control the RPM's ? I tried Speedfan, but it doesn't seem to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom