• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is it usually TALK SHOW HOSTS who won’t let you make eye contact??

I saw Conan at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Trilobit

This list has celebs in general who won’t let you make eye contact with them… but why do you think it’s always TALK SHOW HOSTS who do the “NO EYE CONTACT” thing?

Ellen
Dr Phil
Tyra Banks
James Corden

It was a very interesting question so I had to look it up. Apparently it can be caused by stuff like GAD or borderline.

I saw Conan at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
I see why they call him Conan the Barbarian.

TDiddyLive

Why can't someone just say to them " listen, cunt. Your on TV making a program, which, in the grand scheme of things, don't mean shit to anybody. Your not particularly important so stop behaving like a fuckin mingebag". 😅
Probably because if you called someone a mingebag they would think you’re retarded. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

mansoor1980

200w.gif

Wildebeest

Funnily enough, Ellen isn't on that list, and most of the complaints about her seemed to be about other people around her. My opinion about celebrities is that if you expect them to be the same person as on the camera and act happy for you when they are having a shit day, then whatever, you are no different to people who publicly harass actors because they play a douche on tv.

If one of these pricks said don't look in my eyes, guess where I'm going to look?

Fucking idiots.
Now imagine they're your boss. They can fire you on a whim with no accountability to anyone above them. And they can say the word and you won't get hired again anywhere else in the industry.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Dude... You would have taken a photo.

If I meet a celebrity, if I take photos with them and talk a little, it's not because they're from Mars or they're untouchable people...

If Britney Spears or Taylor Swift comes, I talk to them like it's nothing... In the end they're people common and ordinary.

adJackson

Neo Member
Talk show hosts usually avoid making eye contact with their guests to maintain the flow and focus of the show. They often look at cameras to engage with the audience, as their primary role is to connect with viewers. Hosts also rely on cues from producers through earpieces or monitor feedback, necessitating their attention to elements beyond the guest. Additionally, they may be preoccupied with the show's pacing, thinking ahead to the next segment or topic. All these factors contribute to a dynamic and cohesive broadcast that prioritizes audience engagement over direct guest interaction.

Eiknarf

Banned
Funnily enough, Ellen isn't on that list, and most of the complaints about her seemed to be about other people around her. My opinion about celebrities is that if you expect them to be the same person as on the camera and act happy for you when they are having a shit day, then whatever, you are no different to people who publicly harass actors because they play a douche on tv.
Because she no longer has a current talk show. But she was on every list for two decades when she did.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
This list has celebs in general who won’t let you make eye contact with them… but why do you think it’s always TALK SHOW HOSTS who do the “NO EYE CONTACT” thing?

Ellen
Dr Phil
Tyra Banks
James Corden

Dr Phil... And who is that or what specialty does he have?

mitch1971

Gold Member

If I meet a celebrity, if I take photos with them and talk a little, it's not because they're from Mars or they're untouchable people...

If Britney Spears or Taylor Swift comes, I talk to them like it's nothing... In the end they're people common and ordinary.
I think that's a meme you replied to.

Peggies

Gold Member
What happens when two of these No-Eye-Contact- People run into each other? (Pun intended)
I just imagine Tyra Banks and Dr. Phil meeting in the hallway, both staring at their feet. Tyra runs into a glass door. Dr. Phil into the serving trolley full of dirty dishes.
Both of them hurt with deep cuts and bruises....

Cracking Up Lol GIF

mansoor1980

What happens when two of these No-Eye-Contact- People run into each other? (Pun intended)
I just imagine Tyra Banks and Dr. Phil meeting in the hallway, both staring at their feet. Tyra runs into a glass door. Dr. Phil into the serving trolley full of dirty dishes.
Both of them hurt with deep cuts and bruises....

Cracking Up Lol GIF
shock.gif

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
James Corden is always on these lists.

I can't tell if this is real or not... is it?

Diddy X

Because they are actually talking to the audience and maybe some unwanted things could happen after too much eye contact.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Talk show hosts usually avoid making eye contact with their guests to maintain the flow and focus of the show. They often look at cameras to engage with the audience, as their primary role is to connect with viewers. Hosts also rely on cues from producers through earpieces or monitor feedback, necessitating their attention to elements beyond the guest. Additionally, they may be preoccupied with the show's pacing, thinking ahead to the next segment or topic. All these factors contribute to a dynamic and cohesive broadcast that prioritizes audience engagement over direct guest interaction.
That's all well and good but when they're not filming? Pass them in the hall look them in the eye and get fired? Explain that.

Eiknarf

Banned
Wait.. No... Nobody said anything about not making eye contact with their guests. We're talking about the staff who work on the show... the coworkers who work for talk show hosts.
Imagine your boss told you not to make eye contact with him or her?

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm not defending it, but I can imagine the pressure on these hosts is insane and that though you may appear to be having a casual chat with someone for a living, the reality is that not everyone can do it and it requires a decent amount of prep and focus to do well. When people get to a certain level of fame, everyone wants a couple of minutes, to be a friend, or to be able to just feel like they've got some kind of special relationship that's expressed through a little something or other.

From that, you can assume that a decent number of people on a production, which could be 100 people or more, want to catch your eye and say "Hey, how's it going" while the host is trying to mentally piece together what's going to happen when the show goes live and they have an interview with a giant star that'll be seen by millions in real time.

So, again, I'm not defending it, but I can understand why a certain type of person might want to deal with a small number of people and doesn't want to be called an asshole because someone locked eyes with them when they didn't want to have a quick "Hi, how are you today." (though a no-eye contact rule wouldn't appear to be a great PR move either, I guess.)

Last edited:

Aesius

It's not just Hollywood celebs. There's a really rich dude in my hometown who has that rule for his employees, too. He started a national chain and the headquarters are in my hometown. He's by far the richest dude in the city (worth close to $1 billion) and if he has to walk through the building to get somewhere, lower-level employees are forbidden from even LOOKING at him.

Top Bottom